Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Anthony Bourdain RIP

On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 9:02:49 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> What is that on the end of the chopsticks at 3.08? That makes it seem as it
> might make it easier.

That's a cheater hinge. This allows you to operate the chopsticks like a tong. If you ask me, that thing doesn't go far enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyBnYt20weg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 14, 2018 at 12:22:59 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> I does look good but there is no way I would try it with all that hot spicey
> stuff)
>
> You were lucky your wife didn't react ... Very lucky ;-)

I admit that there was a moment of tension when she descended the stairs. Would she admonish me for my carelessness? "Look, I hand washed this hat and it dried out!" she said with some pride. Looks like I dodged another bullet...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> "notbob" wrote in message ...
>
> On 6/13/2018 6:21 PM, cshenk wrote:
>
> > In Korea they as squared.
> >
> > Yours in plastic are not disposables. They may be inexpensive, but
> > meant to the washed and reused.

> Here's a breakdown on various chopsticks:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyevVQ1Dubc
>
> This has nothing to do with how they are used.
>
> nb
>
> ==
>
> What is that on the end of the chopsticks at 3.08? That makes it
> seem as it might make it easier.

Actually not sure but I bet they make them harder to use. Then again,
I learned to use them fairly back towards the end and that would get in
my way.

It might be (looking again) a sliding chopstick rest? You rest the
eating end up on them when not in use.

==

I don't know but it is on the end of the chopsticks he is using.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 9:02:49 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> What is that on the end of the chopsticks at 3.08? That makes it seem as
> it
> might make it easier.

That's a cheater hinge. This allows you to operate the chopsticks like a
tong. If you ask me, that thing doesn't go far enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyBnYt20weg

==

lol I have noticed that Asians using chopsticks hold their mouth close over
the bowl while the 'haole' lifts the food all the way up <g>
(psst did I get that right?)

They kind of, scoop the food rather than lift it.

Having said that, what is the point of chopsticks if you have a fork?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Thursday, June 14, 2018 at 12:22:59 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> I does look good but there is no way I would try it with all that hot
> spicey
> stuff)
>
> You were lucky your wife didn't react ... Very lucky ;-)

I admit that there was a moment of tension when she descended the stairs.
Would she admonish me for my carelessness? "Look, I hand washed this hat and
it dried out!" she said with some pride. Looks like I dodged another
bullet...

==

Oh my, you are a lucky one <g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Freitag, 15. Juni 2018 10:10:32 UTC+2 schrieb Ophelia:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 9:02:49 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > What is that on the end of the chopsticks at 3.08? That makes it seem as
> > it
> > might make it easier.

> That's a cheater hinge. This allows you to operate the chopsticks like a
> tong. If you ask me, that thing doesn't go far enough.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyBnYt20weg
>
> ==
>
> lol I have noticed that Asians using chopsticks hold their mouth close over
> the bowl while the 'haole' lifts the food all the way up <g>
> (psst did I get that right?)

No. Ever watched Koreans eating food from a common dish?
(They use spoons for their private bowl of rice, btw.)

> They kind of, scoop the food rather than lift it.
>
> Having said that, what is the point of chopsticks if you have a fork?

What would you prefer - sticking your fork into something everyone pick
their food from - or tweezers?

Bye, Sanne.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Jun 2018 02:16:21 -0700 (PDT), sanne
> wrote:

>Am Freitag, 15. Juni 2018 10:10:32 UTC+2 schrieb Ophelia:
>> "dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>> On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 9:02:49 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> >
>> > What is that on the end of the chopsticks at 3.08? That makes it seem as
>> > it
>> > might make it easier.

>> That's a cheater hinge. This allows you to operate the chopsticks like a
>> tong. If you ask me, that thing doesn't go far enough.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyBnYt20weg
>>
>> ==
>>
>> lol I have noticed that Asians using chopsticks hold their mouth close over
>> the bowl while the 'haole' lifts the food all the way up <g>
>> (psst did I get that right?)

>No. Ever watched Koreans eating food from a common dish?
>(They use spoons for their private bowl of rice, btw.)
>
>> They kind of, scoop the food rather than lift it.
>>
>> Having said that, what is the point of chopsticks if you have a fork?

>What would you prefer - sticking your fork into something everyone pick
>their food from - or tweezers?

Neither, just my food on my plate. Maybe Asians all look so alike
because they share germs all the time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Freitag, 15. Juni 2018 11:37:23 UTC+2 schrieb Bruce:
> On Fri, 15 Jun 2018 02:16:21 -0700 (PDT), sanne wrote:
>
> >Am Freitag, 15. Juni 2018 10:10:32 UTC+2 schrieb Ophelia:

> >> That's a cheater hinge. This allows you to operate the chopsticks like a
> >> tong. If you ask me, that thing doesn't go far enough.
> >>
> >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyBnYt20weg
> >>
> >> ==
> >>
> >> lol I have noticed that Asians using chopsticks hold their mouth close over
> >> the bowl while the 'haole' lifts the food all the way up <g>
> >> (psst did I get that right?)

> >No. Ever watched Koreans eating food from a common dish?
> >(They use spoons for their private bowl of rice, btw.)
> >
> >> They kind of, scoop the food rather than lift it.
> >>
> >> Having said that, what is the point of chopsticks if you have a fork?

> >What would you prefer - sticking your fork into something everyone pick
> >their food from - or tweezers?

> Neither, just my food on my plate.

Different countries, different customs.
So - no buffet for you?

> Maybe Asians all look so alike

To the untrained eye some may to Westerners - and vice versa.

> because they share germs all the time.

That's racist.

And with properly used chopsticks you pick up your bites of food without
polluting the rest.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Jun 2018 19:37:19 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Jun 2018 02:16:21 -0700 (PDT), sanne
> wrote:
>
>>Am Freitag, 15. Juni 2018 10:10:32 UTC+2 schrieb Ophelia:

>>> That's a cheater hinge. This allows you to operate the chopsticks like a
>>> tong. If you ask me, that thing doesn't go far enough.
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyBnYt20weg
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> lol I have noticed that Asians using chopsticks hold their mouth close over
>>> the bowl while the 'haole' lifts the food all the way up <g>
>>> (psst did I get that right?)

>>No. Ever watched Koreans eating food from a common dish?
>>(They use spoons for their private bowl of rice, btw.)
>>
>>> They kind of, scoop the food rather than lift it.
>>>
>>> Having said that, what is the point of chopsticks if you have a fork?

>>What would you prefer - sticking your fork into something everyone pick
>>their food from - or tweezers?

>Neither, just my food on my plate. Maybe Asians all look so alike
>because they share germs all the time.

That is a very racist remark, they do not look all alike in the least.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Jun 2018 03:01:42 -0700 (PDT), sanne
> wrote:

>Am Freitag, 15. Juni 2018 11:37:23 UTC+2 schrieb Bruce:

>> >No. Ever watched Koreans eating food from a common dish?
>> >(They use spoons for their private bowl of rice, btw.)

>> >What would you prefer - sticking your fork into something everyone pick
>> >their food from - or tweezers?

>> Neither, just my food on my plate.

>Different countries, different customs.
>So - no buffet for you?

I don't mind big plates on the table, that everyone takes a bit off
for their own plate. But I wouldn't want everybody to be double
dipping into the same pot.

>> Maybe Asians all look so alike

>To the untrained eye some may to Westerners - and vice versa.

Whites have varying hair colours. Koreans all have dark hair. Haven't
you noticed?

>> because they share germs all the time.

>That's racist.

Sharing germs is racist? I never thought about it that way.

>And with properly used chopsticks you pick up your bites of food without
>polluting the rest.

So one hopes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Freitag, 15. Juni 2018 13:08:56 UTC+2 schrieb Bruce:
> On Fri, 15 Jun 2018 03:01:42 -0700 (PDT), sanne wrote:

> >> Neither, just my food on my plate.

> >Different countries, different customs.
> >So - no buffet for you?

> I don't mind big plates on the table, that everyone takes a bit off
> for their own plate. But I wouldn't want everybody to be double
> dipping into the same pot.

As I said - tweezers. No double dipping there since the rest of the food
isn't touched with it.

> >> Maybe Asians all look so alike

> >To the untrained eye some may to Westerners - and vice versa.

> Whites have varying hair colours. Koreans all have dark hair. Haven't
> you noticed?

The elders have white hair, the younger ones often color theirs.
Shape of faces, stature, age,... - Haven't you noticed?
We have no difficulties telling Koreans apart (or identifying them as such,
for that matter) - practice. And willingness.

> >> because they share germs all the time.

> >That's racist.

> Sharing germs is racist? I never thought about it that way.

That's what you said: "Maybe Asians all look so alike because they share
germs all the time."

> >And with properly used chopsticks you pick up your bites of food without
> >polluting the rest.

> So one hopes.

So it is. Experience.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Jun 2018 04:20:37 -0700 (PDT), sanne
> wrote:

>Am Freitag, 15. Juni 2018 13:08:56 UTC+2 schrieb Bruce:

>> >Different countries, different customs.
>> >So - no buffet for you?

>> I don't mind big plates on the table, that everyone takes a bit off
>> for their own plate. But I wouldn't want everybody to be double
>> dipping into the same pot.

>As I said - tweezers. No double dipping there since the rest of the food
>isn't touched with it.

I wouldn't bet on it.

>> >To the untrained eye some may to Westerners - and vice versa.

>> Whites have varying hair colours. Koreans all have dark hair. Haven't
>> you noticed?

>The elders have white hair, the younger ones often color theirs.

Triple duh. Politically correct dodging of the question.

>Shape of faces, stature, age,... - Haven't you noticed?
>We have no difficulties telling Koreans apart (or identifying them as such,
>for that matter) - practice. And willingness.

>> >That's racist.

>> Sharing germs is racist? I never thought about it that way.

>That's what you said: "Maybe Asians all look so alike because they share
>germs all the time."

Yes, a little joke. But you're politically correct, so you can't
handle it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 9:02:49 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> What is that on the end of the chopsticks at 3.08? That makes it seem as
>> it
>> might make it easier.

> That's a cheater hinge. This allows you to operate the chopsticks like a
> tong. If you ask me, that thing doesn't go far enough.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyBnYt20weg
>
> ==
>
> lol I have noticed that Asians using chopsticks hold their mouth close
> over the bowl while the 'haole' lifts the food all the way up <g>
> (psst did I get that right?)
>
> They kind of, scoop the food rather than lift it.
>
> Having said that, what is the point of chopsticks if you have a fork?

That is a mystery to me too.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Jun 2018 04:40:43 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>> On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 9:02:49 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> What is that on the end of the chopsticks at 3.08? That makes it seem as
>>> it
>>> might make it easier.

>> That's a cheater hinge. This allows you to operate the chopsticks like a
>> tong. If you ask me, that thing doesn't go far enough.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyBnYt20weg
>>
>> ==
>>
>> lol I have noticed that Asians using chopsticks hold their mouth close
>> over the bowl while the 'haole' lifts the food all the way up <g>
>> (psst did I get that right?)
>>
>> They kind of, scoop the food rather than lift it.
>>
>> Having said that, what is the point of chopsticks if you have a fork?

>That is a mystery to me too.

Maybe they got hooked on chopsticks before the Iron Age?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Freitag, 15. Juni 2018 13:39:53 UTC+2 schrieb Bruce:
> On Fri, 15 Jun 2018 04:20:37 -0700 (PDT), sanne wrote:

> >> I don't mind big plates on the table, that everyone takes a bit off
> >> for their own plate. But I wouldn't want everybody to be double
> >> dipping into the same pot.

> >As I said - tweezers. No double dipping there since the rest of the food
> >isn't touched with it.

> I wouldn't bet on it.

Your choice. Your loss.

> >> Whites have varying hair colours. Koreans all have dark hair. Haven't
> >> you noticed?

> >The elders have white hair, the younger ones often color theirs.

> Triple duh. Politically correct dodging of the question.

No. Just proving you wrong.

> >Shape of faces, stature, age,... - Haven't you noticed?
> >We have no difficulties telling Koreans apart (or identifying them as such,
> >for that matter) - practice. And willingness.

No answer to that?

> >> Sharing germs is racist? I never thought about it that way.

> >That's what you said: "Maybe Asians all look so alike because they share
> >germs all the time."

> Yes, a little joke.

A joke is supposed to be funny. That remark isn't.
And claiming it being a joke now? Come on.

> But you're politically correct, so you can't handle it.

(Lol) Trying to insult me now? You lost.

There's a difference between political correctness and honestly trying to
get along.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Jun 2018 04:56:28 -0700 (PDT), sanne
> wrote:

>(Lol) Trying to insult me now? You lost.

Did I insult you by calling you politically correct?

>There's a difference between political correctness and honestly trying to
>get along.

The problem is that people who suffer from political correctness all
think that they're not politically correct. That makes it hard to talk
to them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sanne" wrote in message

Am Freitag, 15. Juni 2018 10:10:32 UTC+2 schrieb Ophelia:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 9:02:49 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > What is that on the end of the chopsticks at 3.08? That makes it seem
> > as
> > it
> > might make it easier.

> That's a cheater hinge. This allows you to operate the chopsticks like a
> tong. If you ask me, that thing doesn't go far enough.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyBnYt20weg
>
> ==
>
> lol I have noticed that Asians using chopsticks hold their mouth close
> over
> the bowl while the 'haole' lifts the food all the way up <g>
> (psst did I get that right?)

No. Ever watched Koreans eating food from a common dish?
(They use spoons for their private bowl of rice, btw.)

> They kind of, scoop the food rather than lift it.
>
> Having said that, what is the point of chopsticks if you have a fork?

What would you prefer - sticking your fork into something everyone pick
their food from - or tweezers?

Bye, Sanne.

===

NOT the fingers, but then I can't see me eating from a communal dish like
that either!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Freitag, 15. Juni 2018 14:08:00 UTC+2 schrieb Bruce:
> On Fri, 15 Jun 2018 04:56:28 -0700 (PDT), sanne wrote:
>
> >(Lol) Trying to insult me now? You lost.

> Did I insult you by calling you politically correct?

You snipped too much, may I quote you: "But you're politically correct,
so you can't handle it."

> >There's a difference between political correctness and honestly trying to
> >get along.

> The problem is that people who suffer from political correctness all
> think that they're not politically correct. That makes it hard to talk
> to them.

Your opinion based on your definition of political correctness and who
you think matches that definition.

If someone's a nice person, nothing else matters anyways.
If not, I try to avoid that person and/or give them a good piece of
my mind. Regardless of the heritage.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "sanne" wrote in message

> What would you prefer - sticking your fork into something everyone pick
> their food from - or tweezers?
>
> Bye, Sanne.
>
> ===
>
> NOT the fingers, but then I can't see me eating from a communal dish like
> that either!

Ditto!

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 5:05:32 PM UTC-4, Paul M. Cook wrote:

>> > Thanks for the recommendation. He'll probably try it after he retires.
>> >

>> Why wait? Other than relieving pain it has no affect. You can drive and
>> even run a bulldozer while taking it. You have to get over the taste.
>> It
>> does not taste very good.

> He has a security clearance. DoD is very weird about these things.

Oh yes,. right, I remember that when I worked for DODCI. Everything was
suspect.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sanne" wrote in message

Am Freitag, 15. Juni 2018 14:08:00 UTC+2 schrieb Bruce:
> On Fri, 15 Jun 2018 04:56:28 -0700 (PDT), sanne wrote:
>
> >(Lol) Trying to insult me now? You lost.

> Did I insult you by calling you politically correct?

You snipped too much, may I quote you: "But you're politically correct,
so you can't handle it."

> >There's a difference between political correctness and honestly trying to
> >get along.

> The problem is that people who suffer from political correctness all
> think that they're not politically correct. That makes it hard to talk
> to them.

Your opinion based on your definition of political correctness and who
you think matches that definition.

If someone's a nice person, nothing else matters anyways.
If not, I try to avoid that person and/or give them a good piece of
my mind. Regardless of the heritage.

==

Avoidance is best, as I have found to my advantage.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "sanne" wrote in message

> What would you prefer - sticking your fork into something everyone pick
> their food from - or tweezers?
>
> Bye, Sanne.
>
> ===
>
> NOT the fingers, but then I can't see me eating from a communal dish like
> that either!

Ditto!

Cheri

==

Ewww imagine, everyone's fingers in a big dish ...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sanne wrote:

> Am Freitag, 15. Juni 2018 10:10:32 UTC+2 schrieb Ophelia:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 9:02:49 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > >
> > > What is that on the end of the chopsticks at 3.08? That makes it seem as
> > > it
> > > might make it easier.

> > That's a cheater hinge. This allows you to operate the chopsticks like a
> > tong. If you ask me, that thing doesn't go far enough.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyBnYt20weg
> >
> > ==
> >
> > lol I have noticed that Asians using chopsticks hold their mouth close over
> > the bowl while the 'haole' lifts the food all the way up <g>
> > (psst did I get that right?)

> No. Ever watched Koreans eating food from a common dish?
> (They use spoons for their private bowl of rice, btw.)
>
> > They kind of, scoop the food rather than lift it.
> >
> > Having said that, what is the point of chopsticks if you have a fork?

> What would you prefer - sticking your fork into something everyone pick
> their food from - or tweezers?
>
> Bye, Sanne.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sanne wrote:

> > >What would you prefer - sticking your fork into something everyone pick
> > >their food from - or tweezers?

> And with properly used chopsticks you pick up your bites of food without
> polluting the rest.

BS on both accounts. In a common bowl, there should be one big
serving spoon to move things to your own plate. In a common
shared bowl, using a fork every time you want more, or using
"tweezers" meaning chopsticks that you've been eating from makes
no difference. Any utensil you use to dip into a common shared
thing, should only be used once at the beginnning. Once you put
either in your mouth, don't use that to get more.

Chopsticks are old tradition only and the silliest thing I've
ever known. Once some genius invented the knife and spoon and
FORK, only the diehards stuck with eating with sticks. Give me a
break. I drive a car these days....I don't keep and ride a horse
everywhere. lol

Cracks me up now is chopsticks are mostly only used with asian
food. Normal people use spoon, fork for everyday meals but
......just order out chinese some night and all of the sudden
you're supposed to eat it with a pair of sticks? Not me. And I
have better table manners too. I don't hold my plate up to my
mouth and use sticks to shovel the food in. unbelievable.

One good thing about chopsticks...if you want to eat a larger
piece of meat or vegetable, no need to try to balance it with 2
sticks. Chopsticks are sharp. Just use one stick an spear all the
large morsels, then hold your plate up to your mouth and shovel
in the rest of the food like a barbarian. lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sanne wrote:

> And with properly used chopsticks you pick up your bites of food without
> polluting the rest.

Other than eating with a pair of sticks yourself, don't be stupid
here. Once you put any utensil into your mouth, it should NEVER
serving spoon in the common bowl of food. Take some more and put
it on your plate. Don't pollute the rest with your nasty saliva
on a pair of sticks. or a fork or a spoon. get real.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-06-15 11:30 AM, Gary wrote:

> Cracks me up now is chopsticks are mostly only used with asian
> food. Normal people use spoon, fork for everyday meals but
> .....just order out chinese some night and all of the sudden
> you're supposed to eat it with a pair of sticks? Not me. And I
> have better table manners too. I don't hold my plate up to my
> mouth and use sticks to shovel the food in. unbelievable.

I agree. It is silly when people who normally eat with a knife and fork
try to become Asian when they eat Asian food and only then.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...

> One good thing about chopsticks...if you want to eat a larger
> piece of meat or vegetable, no need to try to balance it with 2
> sticks. Chopsticks are sharp. Just use one stick an spear all the
> large morsels, then hold your plate up to your mouth and shovel
> in the rest of the food like a barbarian. lol

LOL, now that's funny.

Cheri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> sanne wrote:
> >And with properly used chopsticks you pick up your bites of food without
> >polluting the rest.

> So one hopes.

That theory is total BS and any normal person knows it.

You sit at a table sharing a common bowl, just put a large
serving spoon in the bowl. Anyone wants more, use the serving
spoon to put more on your plate.

Alternatively, everyone at the table give each other a big sloppy
kiss...pass the saliva...then proceed to share the common food
without worry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Freitag, 15. Juni 2018 17:43:24 UTC+2 schrieb Gary:
> sanne wrote:
> >
> > And with properly used chopsticks you pick up your bites of food without
> > polluting the rest.

> Other than eating with a pair of sticks yourself, don't be stupid
> here. Once you put any utensil into your mouth, it should NEVER

<sigh> Proper use. The chopsticks don't touch the rest of the food - only
the part you take.

> Normal people keep a serving spoon in the common bowl of food.

That's common there for wet food, too - you have your soup in individual
bowls e.g. And your rice.
Dry food: no problem; dip it into the sauce for it, but not the chopsticks.

> Take some more and put it on your plate. Don't pollute the rest with
> your nasty saliva on a pair of sticks. or a fork or a spoon. get real.

Of course. As I said: Proper use.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Jun 2018 15:31:50 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"sanne" wrote in message
>
>Am Freitag, 15. Juni 2018 14:08:00 UTC+2 schrieb Bruce:
>> On Fri, 15 Jun 2018 04:56:28 -0700 (PDT), sanne wrote:
>>
>> >(Lol) Trying to insult me now? You lost.

>> Did I insult you by calling you politically correct?

>You snipped too much, may I quote you: "But you're politically correct,
>so you can't handle it."
>
>> >There's a difference between political correctness and honestly trying to
>> >get along.

>> The problem is that people who suffer from political correctness all
>> think that they're not politically correct. That makes it hard to talk
>> to them.

>Your opinion based on your definition of political correctness and who
>you think matches that definition.
>
>If someone's a nice person, nothing else matters anyways.
>If not, I try to avoid that person and/or give them a good piece of
>my mind. Regardless of the heritage.
>
>==
>
>Avoidance is best, as I have found to my advantage.

Thanks, Ophelia
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Jun 2018 11:43:34 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>sanne wrote:
>>
>> And with properly used chopsticks you pick up your bites of food without
>> polluting the rest.

>Other than eating with a pair of sticks yourself, don't be stupid
>here. Once you put any utensil into your mouth, it should NEVER
>serving spoon in the common bowl of food. Take some more and put
>it on your plate. Don't pollute the rest with your nasty saliva
>on a pair of sticks. or a fork or a spoon. get real.

That was sort of my point, but this, unlike Korean food, won't go down
well with Sanne.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 15, 2018 at 11:43:24 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> sanne wrote:
> >
> > And with properly used chopsticks you pick up your bites of food without
> > polluting the rest.

> Other than eating with a pair of sticks yourself, don't be stupid
> here. Once you put any utensil into your mouth, it should NEVER
> serving spoon in the common bowl of food. Take some more and put
> it on your plate. Don't pollute the rest with your nasty saliva
> on a pair of sticks. or a fork or a spoon. get real.

Did you miss the part where you turn the sticks around and use the
end that wasn't in your mouth to ferry food out of the common
bowl?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 15, 2018 at 12:03:49 PM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
> >
> > sanne wrote:
> > >And with properly used chopsticks you pick up your bites of food without
> > >polluting the rest.

> > So one hopes.

> That theory is total BS and any normal person knows it.
>
> You sit at a table sharing a common bowl, just put a large
> serving spoon in the bowl. Anyone wants more, use the serving
> spoon to put more on your plate.
>
> Alternatively, everyone at the table give each other a big sloppy
> kiss...pass the saliva...then proceed to share the common food
> without worry.

Considering that "everyone at the table" is just me and my husband,
I think we've got that covered.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Jun 2018 13:26:02 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"sanne" wrote in message
>
>Am Freitag, 15. Juni 2018 10:10:32 UTC+2 schrieb Ophelia:
>> "dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>> On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 9:02:49 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> >
>> > What is that on the end of the chopsticks at 3.08? That makes it seem
>> > as
>> > it
>> > might make it easier.

>> That's a cheater hinge. This allows you to operate the chopsticks like a
>> tong. If you ask me, that thing doesn't go far enough.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyBnYt20weg
>>
>> ==
>>
>> lol I have noticed that Asians using chopsticks hold their mouth close
>> over
>> the bowl while the 'haole' lifts the food all the way up <g>
>> (psst did I get that right?)

>No. Ever watched Koreans eating food from a common dish?
>(They use spoons for their private bowl of rice, btw.)
>
>> They kind of, scoop the food rather than lift it.
>>
>> Having said that, what is the point of chopsticks if you have a fork?

>What would you prefer - sticking your fork into something everyone pick
>their food from - or tweezers?
>
>Bye, Sanne.
>
>===
>
>NOT the fingers, but then I can't see me eating from a communal dish like
>that either!

Careful now, you're almost politically incorrect there!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Jun 2018 11:55:44 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, June 15, 2018 at 11:43:24 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>> sanne wrote:
>> >
>> > And with properly used chopsticks you pick up your bites of food without
>> > polluting the rest.

>> Other than eating with a pair of sticks yourself, don't be stupid
>> here. Once you put any utensil into your mouth, it should NEVER
>> serving spoon in the common bowl of food. Take some more and put
>> it on your plate. Don't pollute the rest with your nasty saliva
>> on a pair of sticks. or a fork or a spoon. get real.

>Did you miss the part where you turn the sticks around and use the
>end that wasn't in your mouth to ferry food out of the common
>bowl?

No, I was focussing on the part where you have to be very careful that
you only touch food in the communal pot that you're actually going to
eat yourself.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Jun 2018 11:43:34 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>sanne wrote:
>>
>> And with properly used chopsticks you pick up your bites of food without
>> polluting the rest.

>Other than eating with a pair of sticks yourself, don't be stupid
>here. Once you put any utensil into your mouth, it should NEVER
>serving spoon in the common bowl of food. Take some more and put
>it on your plate. Don't pollute the rest with your nasty saliva
>on a pair of sticks. or a fork or a spoon. get real.

I am soo healthy (apart from migraines) and I don't pay attention to
the scary germs!! I love chopsticks and I love the congeniality of a
round table with everyone fishing from the centre main dish with their
chopsticks.

As a matter of interest, do you abide by the five second rule?