Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Anthony Bourdain

Does anybody know if Bourdain and crew made it out of Lebanon yet?

--Rich

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Does anybody know if Bourdain and crew made it out of Lebanon yet?
>

> --Rich

Here's a post I received from a mailing list I'm on:

This was posted by Tony in eGullet

post Yesterday, 12:10 AM

Post #854

Bourdain

participating member

Joined: 29-December 01

From: New York

Member No.: 863

I'm very aware of how flip my response to the Post was (made last Wednesday,
very early in the crisis)as I sought to reassure family and friends that we
were safe and okayand in good cheer. . It was--at the time--very
representative of the (outward) attitude of Beirutis themselves, who pride
themselves on their resilience and their determination to "keep the party
going." Initially, many Beirutis were still going strong at nightclubs as
jets flew low and menacingly overhead. Even that proud, famously world-weary
attitude quickly changed, however, as circumstances here became even more
appalling. I can certainly understand how offensive it might be to those on
the ground here--or those with family and friends here--to read some of
what's been posted on the other NR thread--and understand why it's been
closed for now.

It is indeed heartbreaking and horrifying what has happened to this lovely
country--to spanking new, lovingly restored,resurgent Beirut in particular,
in only a few days of sustained and seemingly senseless destruction. A few
days ago, this was a place where people were bursting with pride for the
relative tolerance, progressive attitudes, and lack of conflict between
groups. I was standing with a group: a Sunni, a Christian, and a Shiite--by
the Hariri memorial when the gunfire started and the Hezbollah people
appeared driving through city center and honking their horns in
"celebration" for the capture/kidnappings. The look of dismay and
embarrasment on all three faces...and the grim look of resignation as they
all-- instantly-- recognized what would inevitably come next...it's
something I will never forget. Of the three, our Shiite security guy, a
tall, taciturn man, was the last to leave us, insisiting on staying by our
side though he and his family lived in the much more perilous Southern part
of Beirut. After witnessing many quick telephone exchanges between him and
his family, and as more bombs and shells began to fall, seeing him nervously
fingering his prayer beads, we finally convinced him to leave. His house was
later flattened..

We were soon relocated to a safer part of town.The sense of regret and
....shame we feel at being relatively safe yet witness to the carnage...and
that we never got to show the world how beautiful this country and its
people are--how much "like us" (yet uniquely and wonderfully not), how
international, muti-lingual, multi-faith..how fantastic the food and
hospitality is...will gnaw at us forever. WE will make it home. WE--unlike
most Lebanese, have been

(relatively) safe and secure during this. Trapped, yes--but trapped by a
freaking swimming pool-not under the rubble of our homes. We may be only a
few thousand yards or a few miles from the falling bombs-but we have an
eventual way out. What hasn't been talked about much in the press, is how
many young returnees there are/were he young, educated Lebanese who'd
emigrated abroad or been born aboad and only recenly returned..how filled
with hope they were, how much they loved their country, how hopeful and
enthusiastic they were that they could make a difference (and they WERE
making a difference). That is all ashes now..

We (the NR crew) are indeed well--and well looked after. It's indeed
frightening here, it's enraging, it's horrifying,and its frustrating..the
classic "long hours of boredom interspersed with moments of terror" phenom
they always use when talking about life during wartime. But we are
relatively safe. And sooner or later we will no doubt be heading home.

We will never forget the Beirut that could have been-and will hopefully be
again. Or what we saw here.

I fully hope and expect that the administrators/mods will allow this
post--and immediately close it to further comment. The crew and I greatly
appreciate all the previous comments and expressions of concern here and
thank you all.

--------------------

abourdain

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rich > wrote:
>Does anybody know if Bourdain and crew made it out of Lebanon yet?

Egullet closed down the board (with his blessings) on
which he was discussing the situation because it was
veering into a flamewar about the war.

So no news since then that I know of.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Chris Marksberry wrote:

> Here's a post I received from a mailing list I'm on:

> This was posted by Tony in eGullet
>
> post Yesterday, 12:10 AM
>
> Post #854
>
> Bourdain

Thanks for posting that. Bourdain is probably not entirely sane (in a
good way) but he sure is interesting. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Rich" > wrote in message
> Does anybody know if Bourdain and crew made it out of Lebanon yet?
>

> --Rich

Anyone a member of eGullet with posting capabilities that can put out an all
points bulletin asking him to drop by r.f.c. ? He's masochistic enough to
drop in.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

> Anyone a member of eGullet with posting capabilities that can put out an all
> points bulletin asking him to drop by r.f.c. ? He's masochistic enough to
> drop in.

I'm sure he could cope with the flames but many rfc-ers couldn't
tolerate his sense of adventure. Witness the huitlacoche thread and
the great popularity of threads about what people *don't* like. Not to
mention the canned soups used instead of real sauces, the throw it in
the crockpot stuff, and the everything is better with cheese added
mindset. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> "Rich" > wrote in message
>> Does anybody know if Bourdain and crew made it out of Lebanon yet?
>>

>> --Rich
>>

> Anyone a member of eGullet with posting capabilities that can put out
> an all points bulletin asking him to drop by r.f.c. ? He's
> masochistic enough to drop in.
> -ginny

What a great idea!! I was actually surprised to hear he posts to eGullet.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blair P. Houghton wrote on 7/19/2006:

> So no news since then that I know of.

About a half hour ago, I heard on the radio that he had been evacuated.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in news:1153433120.981268.268110
@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

> Not to
> mention the canned soups used instead of real sauces, the throw it in
> the crockpot stuff, and the everything is better with cheese added
> mindset.

You're not talking about Bourdain, I hope.

--

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why
the poor have no food, they call me a communist."

Dom Helder Camara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michel Boucher wrote:

> "aem" > wrote in news:1153433120.981268.268110
> @p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:
>
> > Not to
> > mention the canned soups used instead of real sauces, the throw it
> > in the crockpot stuff, and the everything is better with cheese
> > added mindset.

> You're not talking about Bourdain, I hope.

I don't know how you could have gotten that from the original message.

Brian

won't shut up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20 Jul 2006 15:31:29 -0700, "KevinS" > wrote:

>Blair P. Houghton wrote on 7/19/2006:
>

>> So no news since then that I know of.

>About a half hour ago, I heard on the radio that he had been evacuated.

Yes, here it is:

Broken-hearted celebrity chef evacuated from Lebanon
http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L20701101.htm

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michel Boucher wrote:
> "aem" > wrote in news:1153433120.981268.268110
> @p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:
>
>> Not to
>> mention the canned soups used instead of real sauces, the throw it in
>> the crockpot stuff, and the everything is better with cheese added
>> mindset.

> You're not talking about Bourdain, I hope.

Nope, aem is addressing the fact that he'd be horrified at the postings here
which often include canned soups, etc.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 17:19:53 -0500, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>

>>> Anyone a member of eGullet with posting capabilities that can put
>>> out an all points bulletin asking him to drop by r.f.c. ? He's
>>> masochistic enough to drop in.
>>> -ginny

>> What a great idea!! I was actually surprised to hear he posts to
>> eGullet.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> He has been a member for quite some time..and sometimes is a very
> active poster, as is Michael Ruhlman. They have had a mock feud
> going on for a few years on eGullet, and when they get going back and
> forth, it is hysterically funny.

Chris, why does your post say it was sent at 7:15PM? Your time zone is an
hour behind mine and it's only 6:35 here! Check your computer clock

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 18:36:13 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>Chris, why does your post say it was sent at 7:15PM? Your time zone is an
>hour behind mine and it's only 6:35 here! Check your computer clock

I have no idea. I keep on seeing posts that were posted supposedly an
hour ago, but were in actuality just posted. I have no idea of what
is going on.

I just tweaked the daylight savings time thingy..so maybe that will
help.

Christine, packing up the last of her cookbooks...

PS. My furniture (and the rest of my kitchen stuff AND cookbooks) will
be on the way to me tomorrow morning!!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Curly Sue" > wrote in message
> On 20 Jul 2006 15:31:29 -0700, "KevinS" > wrote:
>

>>Blair P. Houghton wrote on 7/19/2006:
>>

>>> So no news since then that I know of.

>>About a half hour ago, I heard on the radio that he had been evacuated.
>>

> Yes, here it is:
>
> Broken-hearted celebrity chef evacuated from Lebanon
> http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L20701101.htm
>

> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

Thank you. That's the news I was hoping to hear.

--Rich

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 17:19:53 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>> Anyone a member of eGullet with posting capabilities that can put out
>> an all points bulletin asking him to drop by r.f.c. ? He's
>> masochistic enough to drop in.
>> -ginny

>What a great idea!! I was actually surprised to hear he posts to eGullet.
>
>Jill

He has been a member for quite some time..and sometimes is a very
active poster, as is Michael Ruhlman. They have had a mock feud
going on for a few years on eGullet, and when they get going back and
forth, it is hysterically funny.

There are a lot of chefs, writers, etc that post to eGullet...some of
them quite well known in the food world. Paula Wolfert is one such
writer/cookbook author.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 18:27:48 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>Michel Boucher wrote:
>> "aem" > wrote in news:1153433120.981268.268110
>> @p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:
>>
>>> Not to
>>> mention the canned soups used instead of real sauces, the throw it in
>>> the crockpot stuff, and the everything is better with cheese added
>>> mindset.

>> You're not talking about Bourdain, I hope.

>Nope, aem is addressing the fact that he'd be horrified at the postings here
>which often include canned soups, etc.
>
>Jill

IOW, he's not as brave as he seems! ;>

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz > wrote:
>On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 01:36:50 GMT, Blair P. Houghton wrote:
>
>> Egullet closed down the board (with his blessings) on
>> which he was discussing the situation because it was
>> veering into a flamewar about the war.

>It's too bad he probably hasn't heard of RFC.
>
>But then again, he's relying on the Moderators <three Hail
>Mary's> to bail him out. What a *whimp*.

The Egullet moderators are the only moderators I've ever
dealt with who are actually moderate.

Most websites they're just infantile tyrants.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Curly Sue > wrote:
>Broken-hearted celebrity chef evacuated from Lebanon
>http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L20701101.htm

I'm imagining from his revelations what the Lebanon was becoming.

And what it's become.

Hezbollah's atavistic stupidity is destroying the exact
thing the Middle East needed to become a part of the world.

But the cynical part of me wonders if Israel wasn't a
little jealous of the competition for eastern-mediterranean
vacation dollars...

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:

> I'm sure he could cope with the flames but many rfc-ers couldn't
> tolerate his sense of adventure. Witness the huitlacoche thread and
> the great popularity of threads about what people *don't* like. Not to
> mention the canned soups used instead of real sauces, the throw it in
> the crockpot stuff, and the everything is better with cheese added
> mindset. -aem

I wonder if he'd have patience to find the food related posts for all
the OT stupid jokes, lizard photos, back and forth private
conversations.....?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:

> aem wrote:
>
> > I'm sure he could cope with the flames but many rfc-ers couldn't
> > tolerate his sense of adventure. Witness the huitlacoche thread and
> > the great popularity of threads about what people *don't* like. Not to
> > mention the canned soups used instead of real sauces, the throw it in
> > the crockpot stuff, and the everything is better with cheese added
> > mindset. -aem
> >

> I wonder if he'd have patience to find the food related posts for all
> the OT stupid jokes, lizard photos, back and forth private
> conversations.....?

Nope, he'd make most of us walk the plank... ;-)

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> Curly Sue > wrote:
>> Broken-hearted celebrity chef evacuated from Lebanon
>> http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L20701101.htm

> I'm imagining from his revelations what the Lebanon was becoming.
>
> And what it's become.
>
> Hezbollah's atavistic stupidity is destroying the exact
> thing the Middle East needed to become a part of the world.
>
> But the cynical part of me wonders if Israel wasn't a
> little jealous of the competition for eastern-mediterranean
> vacation dollars...
>
> --Blair

I saw the comedianne Wanda Sykes on the Tonight Show the other night and she
suggested we just send a bunch of real estate agents over there... they can
sell anything to anyone. To paraphrase: "Oh, you don't want to live in
Gaza... it's dry and it's got no views... come on over here, I'll show you
something better."

Truly, what the **** are they fighting over? It's a strip of land and a
fued like the Hatfields and the McCoy's on a much larger scale. Get over it
already! And stop dropping bombs! Geeze, even the Hatfields & McCoy's only
used shotgun pellets. And they didn't involve the entire world.

OB FOOD: Gonna make blackberry cobbler! SURPRISE! Found this recipe, let
me know if you have suggestions.

4 cups fresh blackberries or raspberries
1 c. sugar
1 Tbs. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
1 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. milk
1/4 c. butter melted
1 egg

Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Spread blackberries in an even layer(or two)
in ungreased square 8x8 baking dish. Combine sugar (less 1 tsp.), cornstarch
and lemon juice. Drizzle the cornstarch mixture over the blackberries; stir
gently. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Add milk,
butter and egg and mix through. Spread batter evenly over blackberries, all
the way to the edge of the baking dish. Sprinkle with reserved sugar. Bake
30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-07-21, jmcquown > wrote:

> Truly, what the **** are they fighting over?

The usual stupid stuff, revenge, religion, land. Human beings are
pretty stupid. It doesn't take much.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote:
>Truly, what the **** are they fighting over? It's a strip of land and a
>fued like the Hatfields and the McCoy's on a much larger scale. Get over it
>already! And stop dropping bombs! Geeze, even the Hatfields & McCoy's only
>used shotgun pellets. And they didn't involve the entire world.

Well, that's part of it. They all have a pariah complex
of one sort or another. And it's a big money-making
enterprise for some. Arafat died with a third of a billion
dollars in the bank.

At some point, someone's going to get involved who
doesn't have his fingers in the till, and the real cleanup
will occur, and the human race will have its beachfront
property back.

Turning Jerusalem into an international zone, a la
Antarctica, would be a good start.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blair P. Houghton > wrote in news:9Xdwg.39509$Zr.15297
@fe06.news.easynews.com:

> the human race will have its beachfront
> property back

Yes, that's what Islam means to us...beachfront property.

--

"At a time of universal deceit - telling the truth
is a revolutionary act."

George Orwell
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> Truly, what the **** are they fighting over? It's a strip of land and a
> fued like the Hatfields and the McCoy's on a much larger scale. Get over
> it
> already! And stop dropping bombs! Geeze, even the Hatfields & McCoy's
> only
> used shotgun pellets. And they didn't involve the entire world.

Unfortunately, the battle started about 2000 years ago when it was part of
the Roman Empire. None of us are going to solve it. Depending on your
view, one side is right, the other is wrong and there will be no compromise
from either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:
>Unfortunately, the battle started about 2000 years ago when it was part of
>the Roman Empire. None of us are going to solve it. Depending on your
>view, one side is right, the other is wrong and there will be no compromise
>from either.

You're missing the point: Anyone interjecting religion
or history into the debate is being disingenuous.

The only real issue is land. And title to the land is
absolutely clear under international law.

But there are people with a vested interest in obfuscating
that clarity.

And they're using religion and history to do it.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in message

> The only real issue is land. And title to the land is
> absolutely clear under international law.
>
> But there are people with a vested interest in obfuscating
> that clarity.
>
> And they're using religion and history to do it.
>
> --Blair

And where did this "land" issue come up and why? This is not a situation
where tree branches are hanging over the neighbors fence. Millions of lives
around the world have been lost over the centuries in the name of religion.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in
. net:

> "Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in message
>>
>> The only real issue is land. And title to the land is
>> absolutely clear under international law.
>>
>> But there are people with a vested interest in obfuscating
>> that clarity.
>>
>> And they're using religion and history to do it.
>>
>> --Blair

> And where did this "land" issue come up and why? This is not a
> situation where tree branches are hanging over the neighbors
> fence. Millions of lives around the world have been lost over
> the centuries in the name of religion.

I think the point is that religion has been used as an excuse to
perpetrate all sorts of actions, when actually the real motivation is
entirely different (most commonly customs and possession of resources).
Look at the war in Chechnya which has nothing to do with Islam and
everything to do with the oil and gas pipeline running from Baku
through Grozny to Moscow. And that sort of disingenuity is not
limited to Muslims either.

--

"At a time of universal deceit - telling the truth
is a revolutionary act."

George Orwell
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:
>And where did this "land" issue come up and why? This is not a situation
>where tree branches are hanging over the neighbors fence. Millions of lives
>around the world have been lost over the centuries in the name of religion.

It came up where nomads with no title to the land were
displaced by a power that had taken the land from the
kings and governments who owned it but lost the war
that was won by the power (that power being first the
Ottoman empire and then the British empire).

The kings accepted defeat, but the nomads didn't like
being displaced.

And somehow that they forgot they are nomads. Some of them
were somewhat settled, but nonetheless they were legally
squatters and had no title to the land they were farming
and building houses on.

They didn't own it then, the person who did own it then
doesn't own it any more, and the people who do own it now
do so legally.

But ever since they lost the land, the nomads have
pretended it's a religious issue in order to build
political momentum for their goal of starting a war to
take the land back.

It's hopeless for them. The Arabs have peaked in wealth
and have never fully supported that war. But there is
enough money flowing in to make them a dangerous pest.

And if the more radical elements get the overwhelming
power of nuclear weapons, it could get very ugly.

But that would win them nothing but a day of dancing in
the streets. The world will never allow them to keep what
they irradiate.

Unless maybe it's strawberries or beef. Irradiating is
good on food and bad on things that eat. Ob. rfc-wise.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> >
> > Anyone a member of eGullet with posting capabilities that can put out an

all
> > points bulletin asking him to drop by r.f.c. ? He's masochistic enough

> > drop in.

> I'm sure he could cope with the flames but many rfc-ers couldn't
> tolerate his sense of adventure. Witness the huitlacoche thread and
> the great popularity of threads about what people *don't* like. Not to
> mention the canned soups used instead of real sauces, the throw it in
> the crockpot stuff, and the everything is better with cheese added
> mindset. -aem

I hate to tell you guys this but *all* chefs have their own dirty little
food secrets. My hub let mine slide to the speaker at a $100/plate dinner
that I was chairing about 15 years ago. The speaker told the entire room.

Never let your hub sit next to the speaker if you have anything to hide and
he's had a few

helen