Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Croquettes with no egg?

On 1/12/2018 5:17 PM, Steve La Wertz wrote:

>> Really?? By taking refugees from a war torn country and fast tracking
>> them for citizenship so that they can turn around and go back to the
>> country from which they had sought refuge?? Nuts to that. Allow them in
>> with extended visas or as permanent residents and give them citizenship
>> only after an extended period of crime free self sufficiency. This
>> government is actually reduced the the time required to obtain
>> citizenship. I have difficulty with the idea of them needing citizenship
>> if they aren't living here.

> Would you have told that to Anne Frank or Natan Sharansky...???

Should have been more vetting up front. Something did not sound right
about them up front, IMO.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2018 3:17 PM, Steve La Wertz wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Sounds like your country is doing the right thing.
>>>

>> Really?? By taking refugees from a war torn country and fast tracking
>> them for citizenship so that they can turn around and go back to the
>> country from which they had sought refuge?? Nuts to that. Allow them in
>> with extended visas or as permanent residents and give them citizenship
>> only after an extended period of crime free self sufficiency. This
>> government is actually reduced the the time required to obtain
>> citizenship. I have difficulty with the idea of them needing citizenship
>> if they aren't living here.

> Would you have told that to Anne Frank or Natan Sharansky...???

Would either have been pegged as embedded ISIL fighters?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2018 3:39 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 1/12/2018 5:17 PM, Steve La Wertz wrote:
>

>>> Really??Â* By taking refugees from a war torn country and fast tracking
>>> them for citizenship so that they can turn around and go back to the
>>> country from which they had sought refuge?? Nuts to that. Allow them in
>>> with extended visas or as permanent residents and give them citizenship
>>> only after an extended period of crime free self sufficiency.Â* This
>>> government is actually reduced the the time required to obtain
>>> citizenship. I have difficulty with the idea of them needing citizenship
>>> if they aren't living here.

>> Would you have told that to Anne Frank or Natan Sharansky...???
>>

> Should have been more vetting up front.Â* Something did not sound right
> about them up front, IMO.

ISIL has already proved they embed fighters in the refugee streams.

This is a deadly game of catch and release.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 16:58:21 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2018-01-12 1:24 PM, wrote:
>> On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 11:37:01 -0500, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> Canada fast tracked thousands of Lebanese to citizenship because of
>>> conflict at home. A few years back, when Israel pounded Lebanon, we had
>>> 55,000 "Canadians" who were screaming to be evacuated from Lebanon.
>>> They were mostly those who had come here for citizenship and then
>>> returned to their homeland. We spent millions to rescue those citizens
>>> of convenience and shortly after things settled down back in Lebanon
>>> most of them went back there to their real homes.

>> It must be so sad to be you! One thing you could do is learn the
>> difference between 'refugee' and 'immigrant' - Then if you check on
>> what coming here as an immigrant will cost, why you might even look
>> more favourably on some!
>>

> It is not as sad as thinking that an ad hominem is valid argument. I
>know it is not cheap to immigrate, and that is why so many come here and
>try to claim refugee status instead of going through the legal
>immigration program. You could have done a little research and realized
>that half of the refugee claims from asylum seekers have been rejected.
>Why should I look favourably on people coming here illegally, claiming
>refugee status and living off our social safety net when they have legal
>options for admission?

It is sad that you have such little comprehension of how the system
works. There's an area outside town here known as Little Taiwan, not
one of those houses sold for under $500,000, all to immigrants who
paid the money to 'fast track'. Good business for our builders and
suppliers. Plus I doubt our hospitals and nursing homes could stay
open without Filipinos and Newfoundlanders!

Wake up! In Canada for years we have had a zero population growth and
we need everyone. As regards refugees, stats show that at first they
are on income assistance but when they have mastered the language they
move on quickly, many opening their own businesses. At least have the
decency to grant them a chance rather than putting them all down.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-01-12 6:05 PM, wrote:

>> It is not as sad as thinking that an ad hominem is valid argument. I
>> know it is not cheap to immigrate, and that is why so many come here and
>> try to claim refugee status instead of going through the legal
>> immigration program. You could have done a little research and realized
>> that half of the refugee claims from asylum seekers have been rejected.
>> Why should I look favourably on people coming here illegally, claiming
>> refugee status and living off our social safety net when they have legal
>> options for admission?

> It is sad that you have such little comprehension of how the system
> works.

There you go again, trying to use an ad hominem instead of an argument.

> There's an area outside town here known as Little Taiwan, not
> one of those houses sold for under $500,000, all to immigrants who
> paid the money to 'fast track'. Good business for our builders and
> suppliers. Plus I doubt our hospitals and nursing homes could stay
> open without Filipinos and Newfoundlanders!

What's the problem. A lot of people think that immigration is good for
the country. That means accepting people with money to invest or people
to work, not people to come and live on welfare.

> Wake up! In Canada for years we have had a zero population growth and
> we need everyone.

Bullshit. Canada's population growth rate is not zero.

As regards refugees, stats show that at first they
> are on income assistance but when they have mastered the language they
> move on quickly, many opening their own businesses. At least have the
> decency to grant them a chance rather than putting them all down.

Once again you are obviously confused. We vet and sponsor 10,000
refugees per year. We accept about 25,000 refugees per year. Over the
last year or so we have had thousands of asylum seekers crashing the
border, sneaking across at unauthorized crossings because they know that
they will not be admitted if they cross at legal entry points, and at
least half of their claims are being rejected. It should not be our
responsibility to house them and to teach them English. There is a
legal way for them to immigrate. They choose to try to sneak in
illegally. Face it, they are not refugees. They are economic immigrants
trying to beat the system. I prefer the system by which legitimate
immigrants bear the cost of admittance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 12, 2018 at 10:01:55 AM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
> On 1/12/2018 11:56 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> A lot of people think that FIAT stands for "fix it again Tony." Mostly
> these folks hate those cars. To me, it means Fabbrica Italiana Automobili
> Torino. Near as I can figure, haters often have their brains scrambled.
>
> ====
>
> Like people think FORD means "fix or repair daily?"
>
> Cheri

Car discrimination is the worst kind there is!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 12, 2018 at 12:13:20 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-01-12 1:35 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Friday, January 12, 2018 at 6:35:09 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> >> Canada fast tracked thousands of Lebanese to citizenship because of
> >> conflict at home. A few years back, when Israel pounded Lebanon, we had
> >> 55,000 "Canadians" who were screaming to be evacuated from Lebanon.
> >> They were mostly those who had come here for citizenship and then
> >> returned to their homeland. We spent millions to rescue those citizens
> >> of convenience and shortly after things settled down back in Lebanon
> >> most of them went back there to their real homes.

> > Sounds like your country is doing the right thing.
> >

> Really?? By taking refugees from a war torn country and fast tracking
> them for citizenship so that they can turn around and go back to the
> country from which they had sought refuge?? Nuts to that. Allow them in
> with extended visas or as permanent residents and give them citizenship
> only after an extended period of crime free self sufficiency. This
> government is actually reduced the the time required to obtain
> citizenship. I have difficulty with the idea of them needing citizenship
> if they aren't living here.

It's your country so I won't put my 2 cents in. We frequently take in people and animals that have no place to go. Well, my wife and I do. My kids bring in the animals.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://tinyurl.com/yb8pau9a
>Janet US

How tragic

It's disheartening to hear Dave, and sadly many like him, spouting all
this stuff. I actually worked for several years with Immigrant
Settlement which is entirely different than working with refugees.
Most of the families I helped were a) wealthy b) well educated but it
was frustrating to see how visible minorities are treated.

As regards the refugees, they get here any which way they can, fleeing
countries such as Syria. Why would they not want to leave the ruins
there? Will they go back? Don't know what they would go back to!

Thinking of Syrian refugees, can't Dave even begin to imagine what
they face? A friend who works with refugees was telling me they don't
get much peace at night because guess what? Their kids have terrible
nightmares most nights. On balance the kids learn English fast but it
takes far longer for parents and I would have thought most people
could think how hard they would find it to suddenly be in a country
where nobody is speaking your language, it's harder to adapt with age.

We were immigrants 50 years ago, coming here for two years but opting
to stay for the good of our three kids. Our good fortune was to be
white and English-speaking but it doesn't make me feel proud.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2018 5:04 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, January 12, 2018 at 10:01:55 AM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
>> On 1/12/2018 11:56 AM, dsi1 wrote:
>> A lot of people think that FIAT stands for "fix it again Tony." Mostly
>> these folks hate those cars. To me, it means Fabbrica Italiana Automobili
>> Torino. Near as I can figure, haters often have their brains scrambled.
>>
>> ====
>>
>> Like people think FORD means "fix or repair daily?"
>>
>> Cheri

> Car discrimination is the worst kind there is!

Unless it's a Yugo or Trabby...

;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2018 5:06 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, January 12, 2018 at 12:13:20 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Sounds like your country is doing the right thing.
>>>

>> Really?? By taking refugees from a war torn country and fast tracking
>> them for citizenship so that they can turn around and go back to the
>> country from which they had sought refuge?? Nuts to that. Allow them in
>> with extended visas or as permanent residents and give them citizenship
>> only after an extended period of crime free self sufficiency. This
>> government is actually reduced the the time required to obtain
>> citizenship. I have difficulty with the idea of them needing citizenship
>> if they aren't living here.

> It's your country so I won't put my 2 cents in. We frequently take in people and animals that have no place to go. Well, my wife and I do. My kids bring in the animals.

Laudable, if not always the safest call - you are walking your talk.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://tinyurl.com/yb8pau9a
>> Janet US

> How tragic
>
> It's disheartening to hear Dave, and sadly many like him, spouting all
> this stuff. I actually worked for several years with Immigrant
> Settlement which is entirely different than working with refugees.
> Most of the families I helped were a) wealthy b) well educated but it
> was frustrating to see how visible minorities are treated.
>
> As regards the refugees, they get here any which way they can, fleeing
> countries such as Syria. Why would they not want to leave the ruins
> there? Will they go back? Don't know what they would go back to!

Don't play dumb. I was not talking about Syrian refugees when I talked
about about the people crossing at uncontrolled crossings. They are
mostly Haitians, west Africans and Central Americans who are economic
migrants, not refugees. We had previously pledged to accept 10,000
vetted Syrians. Trdueau upped it to 25,000.

> Thinking of Syrian refugees, can't Dave even begin to imagine what
> they face? A friend who works with refugees was telling me they don't
> get much peace at night because guess what? Their kids have terrible
> nightmares most nights. On balance the kids learn English fast but it
> takes far longer for parents and I would have thought most people
> could think how hard they would find it to suddenly be in a country
> where nobody is speaking your language, it's harder to adapt with age.

Yes, it is hard to learn a whole new language and culture when you are
older, which is why a lot of people think they should stay in their own
region.

> We were immigrants 50 years ago, coming here for two years but opting
> to stay for the good of our three kids. Our good fortune was to be
> white and English-speaking but it doesn't make me feel proud.

You aren't proud of the fact that other English speaking people created
the country that you emigrated to? Apparently your family had not been
interesting in relocating to some place in the middle east or Africa.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2018 11:07 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "l not -l"* wrote in message ...
>
>> Yes, to me croquettes are shaped like small logs.

> Upon reflection, I think there is one other difference -
> prestige.* I have never seen salmon patties offered in a
> restaurant, I have seen salmon, as well as other varieties, of
> croquettes.* Like polenta vs. grits, if both were offered on the
> same menu, croquettes would command a higher price because they
> sound more sophisticated.* 8-)* And, of course, a more
> sophisticated dish deserves a creamy sauce.
>
> I suppose salmon patties have been offered on restaurant menus,
> just not where I've eaten.* But, I'd wager it would be in casual
> places like diners and cafeterias, while croquettes would be on a
> more up-scale menu.
>
> ==
>
> It was ever thus)

It's a bit like the difference between very thin pancakes and crepes.
Call something a pancake and it won't command as high a price on a menu
as a crepe.

I can't recall seeing croquettes of any kind on restaurant menus. Not
even salmon croquettes with a cream dill sauce

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 12, 2018 at 2:51:21 PM UTC-10, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:

> Unless it's a Yugo or Trabby...
>
> ;-)

The Yugo GV is a Yugoslavian version of the Fiat 128 built under licence. How bad could it be? Hee hee.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 12, 2018 at 3:47:44 PM UTC-5, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:
> On 1/12/2018 1:27 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> It likely is, but minus a fork or spoon - pass.

> >> He was indeed.

> >> So even though someone not your husband is feeding fingers to mouth and
> >> going back for more you're unconcerned?

> > Well, yes. They're my friends.

> So you guys open mouth kiss too?

I'm not in the habit of kissing my friends that way, but I certainly
wouldn't hesitate to perform mouth-to-mouth resuscitation on them.

> I doubt it.
> > The communal dish is touched only with a piece of torn-off bread.

> I'm not buying that in actuality.
>
> Too much food to be pushed on one plate around for accidents not to happen.
>
> > The most rudimentary motor skills are needed to ensure that you
> > don't touch the side that you're going to stick in the communal
> > dish.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> I've seen my share of party double dippers, people simply are not
> trustworthy when it comes to shoveling food away.

Perhaps you need a better class of friends.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 20:50:06 -0500, Dave Smith

http://tinyurl.com/yb8pau9a
>>> Janet US

>> How tragic
>>
>> It's disheartening to hear Dave, and sadly many like him, spouting all
>> this stuff. I actually worked for several years with Immigrant
>> Settlement which is entirely different than working with refugees.
>> Most of the families I helped were a) wealthy b) well educated but it
>> was frustrating to see how visible minorities are treated.
>>
>> As regards the refugees, they get here any which way they can, fleeing
>> countries such as Syria. Why would they not want to leave the ruins
>> there? Will they go back? Don't know what they would go back to!

>Don't play dumb. I was not talking about Syrian refugees when I talked
>about about the people crossing at uncontrolled crossings. They are
>mostly Haitians, west Africans and Central Americans who are economic
>migrants, not refugees. We had previously pledged to accept 10,000
>vetted Syrians. Trdueau upped it to 25,000.

Those crossing there are refugees, judging by the way you talk about
your car trip to SC, can't imagine you managing to flee country to
country.

>> Thinking of Syrian refugees, can't Dave even begin to imagine what
>> they face? A friend who works with refugees was telling me they don't
>> get much peace at night because guess what? Their kids have terrible
>> nightmares most nights. On balance the kids learn English fast but it
>> takes far longer for parents and I would have thought most people
>> could think how hard they would find it to suddenly be in a country
>> where nobody is speaking your language, it's harder to adapt with age.

>Yes, it is hard to learn a whole new language and culture when you are
>older, which is why a lot of people think they should stay in their own
>region.

Clearly you are one!

>> We were immigrants 50 years ago, coming here for two years but opting
>> to stay for the good of our three kids. Our good fortune was to be
>> white and English-speaking but it doesn't make me feel proud.

>You aren't proud of the fact that other English speaking people created
>the country that you emigrated to? Apparently your family had not been
>interesting in relocating to some place in the middle east or Africa.

So English speaking people were the second to come, that doesn't
really signify anything. We were fortunate the RN sent David here
rather than South Africa because at the time I was marching for
anti-apartheid and he didn't think that would work well! He had no
plans to leave the navy at that time but after a camping trip across
Canada and back through the USA you could say the call of NS was too
strong to resist.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/13/2018 3:16 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, January 12, 2018 at 2:51:21 PM UTC-10, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:
>>

>> Unless it's a Yugo or Trabby...
>>
>> ;-)

> The Yugo GV is a Yugoslavian version of the Fiat 128 built under licence. How bad could it be? Hee hee.

Some years ago a guy at work bought himself a BMW. His wife complained
about driving an old car so he bought her a brand new Yugo. Came close
to divorce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/13/2018 1:16 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, January 12, 2018 at 2:51:21 PM UTC-10, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:
>>

>> Unless it's a Yugo or Trabby...
>>
>> ;-)

> The Yugo GV is a Yugoslavian version of the Fiat 128 built under licence. How bad could it be? Hee hee.

Of course, who hasn't lusted after a Lada 128...

;-0

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/13/2018 5:28 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, January 12, 2018 at 3:47:44 PM UTC-5, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:

>>> Well, yes. They're my friends.

>> So you guys open mouth kiss too?

> I'm not in the habit of kissing my friends that way, but I certainly
> wouldn't hesitate to perform mouth-to-mouth resuscitation on them.

Saving a life isn't analogous to eating a communal plated dinner.

>> I doubt it.
>>> The communal dish is touched only with a piece of torn-off bread.

>> I'm not buying that in actuality.
>>
>> Too much food to be pushed on one plate around for accidents not to happen.
>>
>>> The most rudimentary motor skills are needed to ensure that you
>>> don't touch the side that you're going to stick in the communal
>>> dish.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> I've seen my share of party double dippers, people simply are not
>> trustworthy when it comes to shoveling food away.

> Perhaps you need a better class of friends.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

What makes you think the ones I've seen do this are "friends"?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 5:12:44 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> The world would be a nicer place if we eliminated all words starting
> with N from our language. Can't be too safe.

I think what you really meant to say is "The world would be a better place if we eliminated all words starting with N from our language. Can't be too safe."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 5:15:53 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Some years ago a guy at work bought himself a BMW. His wife complained
> about driving an old car so he bought her a brand new Yugo. Came close
> to divorce.

He's lucky he wasn't shot dead.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/13/2018 9:43 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 5:12:44 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> The world would be a nicer place if we eliminated all words starting
>> with N from our language. Can't be too safe.

> I think what you really meant to say is "The world would be a better place if we eliminated all words starting with N from our language. Can't be too safe."

We could start with human nature, no...sorry...that's an H word...

;-(
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Friday, January 12, 2018 at 10:06:51 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:

>> Can you stp the N-word stuff? It really is offensive.

> Really? In this context? How do we talk about bad words if we
> cannot say them? Is "N-word" really any better? We all mentally
> translate the one to the other.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I don't see a problem at all in the context you used it.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 6:33:49 AM UTC-10, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:

> Of course, who hasn't lusted after a Lada 128...
>
> ;-0

If history has taught us anything, it is that we should never buy a car from a commie.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/13/2018 10:01 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 6:33:49 AM UTC-10, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:
>>
>> Of course, who hasn't lusted after a Lada 128...
>>
>> ;-0

> If history has taught us anything, it is that we should never buy a car from a commie.

+1!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> The world would be a nicer place if we eliminated all words starting with
> N from our language. Can't be too safe.

LOL, it could happen. ;-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 11:39:41 AM UTC-5, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:
> On 1/13/2018 5:28 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> So you guys open mouth kiss too?

> > I'm not in the habit of kissing my friends that way, but I certainly
> > wouldn't hesitate to perform mouth-to-mouth resuscitation on them.

> Saving a life isn't analogous to eating a communal plated dinner.
>

> >> I doubt it.
> >>
> >> I'm not buying that in actuality.
> >>
> >> Too much food to be pushed on one plate around for accidents not to happen.

> >> I've seen my share of party double dippers, people simply are not
> >> trustworthy when it comes to shoveling food away.

> > Perhaps you need a better class of friends.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> What makes you think the ones I've seen do this are "friends"?

I'm not suggesting that you go to an Ethiopian restaurant with
strangers or casual acquaintances. Sheesh.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 10:15:51 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 1/13/2018 3:16 AM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Friday, January 12, 2018 at 2:51:21 PM UTC-10, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:
>>>

>>> Unless it's a Yugo or Trabby...
>>>
>>> ;-)

>> The Yugo GV is a Yugoslavian version of the Fiat 128 built under licence. How bad could it be? Hee hee.
>>

>Some years ago a guy at work bought himself a BMW. His wife complained
>about driving an old car so he bought her a brand new Yugo. Came close
>to divorce.

Until he traded the Yugo for a red Jag.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> The Yugo GV is a Yugoslavian version of the Fiat 128 built under licence. How bad could it be? Hee hee.

Here ya go, for $25K it can be yours:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/0...2-zastava-101/

'Restored Fiat 128-based 1972 Zastava 101 five-door for sale on Hemmings.com. From the sellers description:

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...tml?refer=blog

"1972 Fiat 128 Zastava 101 5-door, This is a full nut/bolt to better than new restoration of a Yugoslav made 1972 Zastava 101 with the excellent original interior seating, dashboard, steering wheel, door panels, floor liner (rare to acquire on open parts market), and headliner. It is powered by the restored original engine that was built by Fiat for the 128 complete with Italian made Cromodora transmission. It was painted in this green color using the original paint code option available in 1972. The Zastava 101 debuted in 1971 and was based on the Fiat 128, essentially a 5-door version of the illustrious 128. The pictures speak for themselves as to the quality of the build. It should be further noted that all of the doors, body panels, hood, and rear hatch are new old stock stampings that were never mounted on any car complete with the manufacturers tags still on them when they were obtain for this restoration. No expense was spared bringing this early edition 101/Fiat 128 hatchback back to better than new levels. Please note that the early models by Zastava were assembled using parts, but most importantly, engines built by Fiat and transmissions built in Italy provided to their Yugoslav partners. So, this is a Yugoslav Zastava body powered by Italian mechanicals! The car was not driven very much at all this past summer, less than 150 miles total. It went to one major, all Yugoslav car show put on by www.CommieCars.com over the 4th of July weekend outside Chicago. It is as beautiful as it is rare, not only from Fiat 128 perspective and that it is a Zastava 101, but in the high degree of its Italian underlying heritage and the exceptionally high quality condition. Whether you love Fiats or whether you knew or didnt know you loved Zastavas, this is the car for you!! I would love to know of ANY others floating around the USA that could compete with it. A true GEM. Reason for the sale is that I have another 1977 Zastava 101 I am in the process of having built overseas which is being restored much more to my personal taste versus the true to Zastava/Fiat intentions we have represented in this model. Need some more fuel to see that one through to completion..."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/13/2018 10:03 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>
>> The world would be a nicer place if we eliminated all words starting
>> with N from our language.* Can't be too safe.

> LOL, it could happen. ;-)
>
> Cheri

With Orwell's thought police running social media - it IS happening!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/13/2018 10:11 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 11:39:41 AM UTC-5, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:

>>> I'm not in the habit of kissing my friends that way, but I certainly
>>> wouldn't hesitate to perform mouth-to-mouth resuscitation on them.

>> Saving a life isn't analogous to eating a communal plated dinner.

>>> Perhaps you need a better class of friends.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> What makes you think the ones I've seen do this are "friends"?

> I'm not suggesting that you go to an Ethiopian restaurant with
> strangers or casual acquaintances. Sheesh.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I was referring to double dipping at a party, as I thought your reply was.

And being friends with folks is no reason to get finger close on the
same platter of stewed foods with a thin pancake of najera as the only
firewall betwixt our respective mouths.

That's far too chummy for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 7:34:53 AM UTC-10, Steve La Wertz wrote:

> Here ya go, for $25K it can be yours:
>
> https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/0...2-zastava-101/
>
> 'Restored Fiat 128-based 1972 Zastava 101 five-door for sale on Hemmings.com. From the sellers description:
>
> https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...tml?refer=blog
>
> "1972 Fiat 128 Zastava 101 5-door, This is a full nut/bolt to better than new restoration of a Yugoslav made 1972 Zastava 101 with the excellent original interior seating, dashboard, steering wheel, door panels, floor liner (rare to acquire on open parts market), and headliner. It is powered by the restored original engine that was built by Fiat for the 128 complete with Italian made Cromodora transmission. It was painted in this green color using the original paint code option available in 1972. The Zastava 101 debuted in 1971 and was based on the Fiat 128, essentially a 5-door version of the illustrious 128. The pictures speak for themselves as to the quality of the build. It should be further noted that all of the doors, body panels, hood, and rear hatch are new old stock stampings that were never mounted on any car complete with the manufacturers tags still on them when they were obtain for this restoration. No expense was spared bringing this early edition 101/Fiat 128 hatchback back to better than new levels. Please note that the early models by Zastava were assembled using parts, but most importantly, engines built by Fiat and transmissions built in Italy provided to their Yugoslav partners. So, this is a Yugoslav Zastava body powered by Italian mechanicals! The car was not driven very much at all this past summer, less than 150 miles total. It went to one major, all Yugoslav car show put on by www.CommieCars.com over the 4th of July weekend outside Chicago. It is as beautiful as it is rare, not only from Fiat 128 perspective and that it is a Zastava 101, but in the high degree of its Italian underlying heritage and the exceptionally high quality condition. Whether you love Fiats or whether you knew or didnt know you loved Zastavas, this is the car for you!! I would love to know of ANY others floating around the USA that could compete with it. A true GEM. Reason for the sale is that I have another 1977 Zastava 101 I am in the process of having built overseas which is being restored much more to my personal taste versus the true to Zastava/Fiat intentions we have represented in this model. Need some more fuel to see that one through to completion..."

Seems a bit overpriced. This one looks like a steal.

https://www.classic-trader.com/uk/ca...pe/1970/119835
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/13/2018 10:34 AM, Steve La Wertz wrote:

> dsi1 wrote:
>

>> The Yugo GV is a Yugoslavian version of the Fiat 128 built under licence. How bad could it be? Hee hee.

> Here ya go, for $25K it can be yours:
>
> https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/0...2-zastava-101/
>
> 'Restored Fiat 128-based 1972 Zastava 101 five-door for sale on Hemmings.com. From the sellers description:
>
> https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...tml?refer=blog
>
> "1972 Fiat 128 Zastava 101 5-door, This is a full nut/bolt to better than new restoration of a Yugoslav made 1972 Zastava 101 with the excellent original interior seating, dashboard, steering wheel, door panels, floor liner (rare to acquire on open parts market), and headliner. It is powered by the restored original engine that was built by Fiat for the 128 complete with Italian made Cromodora transmission. It was painted in this green color using the original paint code option available in 1972. The Zastava 101 debuted in 1971 and was based on the Fiat 128, essentially a 5-door version of the illustrious 128. The pictures speak for themselves as to the quality of the build. It should be further noted that all of the doors, body panels, hood, and rear hatch are new old stock stampings that were never mounted on any car complete with the manufacturers tags still on them when they were obtain for this restoration. No expense was spared bringing this early edition 101/Fiat 128 hatchback back to better than new levels. Please note that the early models by Zastava were assembled using parts, but most importantly, engines built by Fiat and transmissions built in Italy provided to their Yugoslav partners. So, this is a Yugoslav Zastava body powered by Italian mechanicals! The car was not driven very much at all this past summer, less than 150 miles total. It went to one major, all Yugoslav car show put on by www.CommieCars.com over the 4th of July weekend outside Chicago. It is as beautiful as it is rare, not only from Fiat 128 perspective and that it is a Zastava 101, but in the high degree of its Italian underlying heritage and the exceptionally high quality condition. Whether you love Fiats or whether you knew or didnt know you loved Zastavas, this is the car for you!! I would love to know of ANY others floating around the USA that could compete with it. A true GEM. Reason for the sale is that I have another 1977 Zastava 101 I am in the process of having built overseas which is being restored much more to my personal taste versus the true to Zastava/Fiat intentions we have represented in this model. Need some more fuel to see that one through to completion..."

Oh the reason for selling says it all...

Danger Will Robinson, danger!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:

> On 2018-01-12 8:58 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> > > Interestingly enough, "van Go" is the only way I've ever heard it
> > > pronounced, even by teachers in school. I guess Usains just
> > > dumbed it down to easy pronunciation rather than trying to mimic
> > > the sound of vomiting.Â*
> > >

> > We change and simplify at will.Â* Why do we say Rome for Roma and
> > Naples for Napoli?Â* I have no idea why simple city names had to be
> > translated.

> But now we have to say Beijing when the English form is Peking.

The form of the letter is almost a B/P mix in sound with neither one
quite 'correct' alone.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> The world would be a nicer place if we eliminated all words starting with
> N from our language. Can't be too safe.

LOL, it could happen. ;-)

Cheri

==

I can't see that the word used in conversation is so upsetting. Calling
someone any kind of bad name isn't nice

I am not referring to Carol, but we have a lot virtue signalers here in UK
that are plain stupid.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-01-13 10:01 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 6:33:49 AM UTC-10, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:
>>
>> Of course, who hasn't lusted after a Lada 128...
>>
>> ;-0

> If history has taught us anything, it is that we should never buy a car from a commie.

Hmmmm! Remember the Chevy Vega?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 1/11/2018 1:27 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> > > Isn't the only difference between salmon patties and croquettes
> > > the shape? At least the ones I have had taste pretty much the
> > > same, with patties being flat and croquettes round(ish). like a
> > > small salmon log. Though,I seem to recall croquettes
> > > occasionally served with a sauce/gravy poured over and have never
> > > had that with salmon patties.
> > >
> > > I once accidentally bought a can of mackerel rather than salmon
> > > and can't say I saw much difference in the patties vs. salmon.
> > > However, I admit that I am not too picky about which canned
> > > salmon I buy, brand or variety (coho, pink, red). Perhaps I just
> > > don't pick up on subtle differences that others do.

> > Hmmm. Now I thought (no reason why especially) that salmon patties
> > were served with some sort of cream sauce.
> > Janet US
> >

> I suppose they could be. Perhaps a dill cream sauce.
>
> Jill

Butter dill! I like that best.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 8:37:58 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
> Hmmmm! Remember the Chevy Vega?

Yes I do. It was a failed American copy of a great Italian car. I liked the car so much that I owned 3 of them. Not the Vega, but the Fiat 124.

I got a missile alert on my phone about 20 minutes ago. We're all going to die!

REC salmon croquettes piedmont General Cooking 5 13-05-2010 04:45 PM
Chicken Croquettes?? Jeanne Burton General Cooking 12 07-01-2010 07:18 PM
Egg Croquettes kuyabayu Recipes 1 07-07-2009 06:27 PM
Ham Croquettes Chef R W Miller Recipes (moderated) 0 28-04-2007 04:04 PM