Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Croquettes with no egg?

On 1/9/2018 11:53 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 10:10:22 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 7:42:54 AM UTC-10, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:
>>>
>>> It's not "most" that much I would observe.
>>>
>>> But it's up and coming, sort of like lamb shanks are.

>> I can totally believe up and coming. The younger generation are more open to these "ethnic" foods. They see themselves as multicultural. That is a good thing. I was surprised when my daughter and brother ordered pork shanks in a restaurant recently. That was downhome upscale food and it was just wonderful stuff.

> Up and coming is stupid. Oxtails have been for sale all over the U.S.
> since I was a child. Someone must have been buying and eating them.
> Up and Coming also applies to Mexican, Thai, etc.

It really has "legs"...just like lamb shanks...arggh...stop me before I
pun again!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 7:55:08 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> You said 'eating oxtail hardly seems American" I've expressed that
> 'Americans' do in fact eat oxtail In fact, it has become hard to find
> and very expensive because certain restaurants and areas of the
> country make specialties with oxtail. I do not need to show you that
> most (what ever that is) Americans eat it. That's a ridiculous
> statement like asking do most people on the mainland eat grits? No.
> Janet US

That is correct. You don't have to do anything.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 11:14:27 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 7:55:08 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> You said 'eating oxtail hardly seems American" I've expressed that
>> 'Americans' do in fact eat oxtail In fact, it has become hard to find
>> and very expensive because certain restaurants and areas of the
>> country make specialties with oxtail. I do not need to show you that
>> most (what ever that is) Americans eat it. That's a ridiculous
>> statement like asking do most people on the mainland eat grits? No.
>> Janet US

>That is correct. You don't have to do anything.

In the US what's sold as oxtail is actually cow tail.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 10:09:21 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

> In the US what's sold as oxtail is actually cow tail.

I know. My dad told me that when I was a kid. When was the last time you saw oxen in the United States? I guess they have some in Texas. Perhaps there are some where Paul Bunyan lives. I just know that one of ya'alls going to be insisting oxen are all over the place in America. It's what yoose guys do.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2018 3:18 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 10:09:21 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> In the US what's sold as oxtail is actually cow tail.

> I know. My dad told me that when I was a kid. When was the last time you saw oxen in the United States? I guess they have some in Texas. Perhaps there are some where Paul Bunyan lives. I just know that one of ya'alls going to be insisting oxen are all over the place in America. It's what yoose guys do.

I'd not kid about something like that, we do have oxen all over in the
mainland. I just went out for the mail and had to chase a couple out of
my driveway. You should have seen their tails too, very big. You can
cut the tails off and they grow another one in a few months. Most every
restaurant here has ox tail stew on the menu since it is so plentiful.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2018 2:34 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 1/9/2018 3:18 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 10:09:21 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
>>>
>>> In the US what's sold as oxtail is actually cow tail.

>> I know. My dad told me that when I was a kid. When was the last time
>> you saw oxen in the United States? I guess they have some in Texas.
>> Perhaps there are some where Paul Bunyan lives. I just know that one
>> of ya'alls going to be insisting oxen are all over the place in
>> America. It's what yoose guys do.
>>

> I'd not kid about something like that, we do have oxen all over in the
> mainland.Â* I just went out for the mail and had to chase a couple out of
> my driveway.Â* You should have seen their tails too, very big.Â* You can
> cut the tails off and they grow another one in a few months.Â* Most every
> restaurant here has ox tail stew on the menu since it is so plentiful.

I like to head north to hunt:

https://img.gawkerassets.com/img/186...g/original.jpg

They're very wiley...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2018 2:38 PM, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:
> On 1/9/2018 2:34 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> I know. My dad told me that when I was a kid. When was the last time
>>> you saw oxen in the United States? I guess they have some in Texas.
>>> Perhaps there are some where Paul Bunyan lives. I just know that one
>>> of ya'alls going to be insisting oxen are all over the place in
>>> America. It's what yoose guys do.
>>>

>> I'd not kid about something like that, we do have oxen all over in the
>> mainland.Â* I just went out for the mail and had to chase a couple out
>> of my driveway.Â* You should have seen their tails too, very big.Â* You
>> can cut the tails off and they grow another one in a few months.Â* Most
>> every restaurant here has ox tail stew on the menu since it is so
>> plentiful.

> I like to head north to hunt:
>
> https://img.gawkerassets.com/img/186...g/original.jpg
>
> They're very wiley...

....but lately we're starting to see some of these guys down here, so
their range must be expanding:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/KP0MPrtsxNI/maxresdefault.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 16:34:25 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 1/9/2018 3:18 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 10:09:21 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
>>>
>>> In the US what's sold as oxtail is actually cow tail.

>> I know. My dad told me that when I was a kid. When was the last time you saw oxen in the United States? I guess they have some in Texas. Perhaps there are some where Paul Bunyan lives. I just know that one of ya'alls going to be insisting oxen are all over the place in America. It's what yoose guys do.
>>

>I'd not kid about something like that, we do have oxen all over in the
>mainland. I just went out for the mail and had to chase a couple out of
>my driveway. You should have seen their tails too, very big. You can
>cut the tails off and they grow another one in a few months. Most every
>restaurant here has ox tail stew on the menu since it is so plentiful.

I'm glad you've brought sense to this thread
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 11:34:28 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I'd not kid about something like that, we do have oxen all over in the
> mainland. I just went out for the mail and had to chase a couple out of
> my driveway. You should have seen their tails too, very big. You can
> cut the tails off and they grow another one in a few months. Most every
> restaurant here has ox tail stew on the menu since it is so plentiful.

Thank you for this information. Our tiny nation has to rely on the help of people like you from across the ocean for news of this sort. The ox tail crisis has reached a critical point since China has cut us off from their supply line. We had all but given in to despair.

I shall inform the King of this important development. No doubt he will immediately dispatch a fleet of canoes to your land. Well, in reality, we'll probably make shore in California because we don't have compasses and that's the size of a target we can reliably hit. We have to use the stars to find our way around the Pacific. Well, in reality, we rely on one star. The sun.. We just follow the sun when it comes up. At night we have to just guess.

Please inform your king of our arrival in about 2 months. No need to make a big deal about it. A small, simple, luau for around 500 Hawaiians would be fine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 11:50:14 AM UTC-10, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:

> ...but lately we're starting to see some of these guys down here, so
> their range must be expanding:
>
> https://i.ytimg.com/vi/KP0MPrtsxNI/maxresdefault.jpg

Jeeze... would you look at the size of the balls on that thing!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2018 3:40 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 11:34:28 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> I'd not kid about something like that, we do have oxen all over in the
>> mainland. I just went out for the mail and had to chase a couple out of
>> my driveway. You should have seen their tails too, very big. You can
>> cut the tails off and they grow another one in a few months. Most every
>> restaurant here has ox tail stew on the menu since it is so plentiful.

> Thank you for this information. Our tiny nation has to rely on the help of people like you from across the ocean for news of this sort. The ox tail crisis has reached a critical point since China has cut us off from their supply line. We had all but given in to despair.
>
> I shall inform the King of this important development. No doubt he will immediately dispatch a fleet of canoes to your land. Well, in reality, we'll probably make shore in California because we don't have compasses and that's the size of a target we can reliably hit. We have to use the stars to find our way around the Pacific. Well, in reality, we rely on one star. The sun. We just follow the sun when it comes up. At night we have to just guess.
>
> Please inform your king of our arrival in about 2 months. No need to make a big deal about it. A small, simple, luau for around 500 Hawaiians would be fine.

LOLOLOL!!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2018 3:41 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 11:50:14 AM UTC-10, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:
>
>> ...but lately we're starting to see some of these guys down here, so
>> their range must be expanding:
>>
>> https://i.ytimg.com/vi/KP0MPrtsxNI/maxresdefault.jpg

> Jeeze... would you look at the size of the balls on that thing!

Rocky Mountain oysters you have some competition now!

%-0

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Dienstag, 9. Januar 2018 22:38:29 UTC+1 schrieb Casa estilo antiguo:
> On 1/9/2018 2:34 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> >> I know. My dad told me that when I was a kid. When was the last time
> >> you saw oxen in the United States? I guess they have some in Texas.
> >> Perhaps there are some where Paul Bunyan lives. I just know that one
> >> of ya'alls going to be insisting oxen are all over the place in
> >> America. It's what yoose guys do.
> >>

> > I'd not kid about something like that, we do have oxen all over in the
> > mainland.Â* I just went out for the mail and had to chase a couple out of
> > my driveway.Â* You should have seen their tails too, very big.Â* You can
> > cut the tails off and they grow another one in a few months.Â* Most every
> > restaurant here has ox tail stew on the menu since it is so plentiful.

> I like to head north to hunt:
>
> https://img.gawkerassets.com/img/186...g/original.jpg
>
> They're very wiley...

I see! The Bavarian Wolpertinger finally made it across the Big Pond!
Some of them have webbed feet and/or wings, but it took them a while.

Bye, Sanne.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 1:22:25 PM UTC-10, sanne wrote:

> I see! The Bavarian Wolpertinger finally made it across the Big Pond!
> Some of them have webbed feet and/or wings, but it took them a while.
>
> Bye, Sanne.

I don't know what the heck that is but it sounds tasty. I'd make adobo out of it.

INGREDIENTS
2 lbs Bavarian Wolpertinger, cut into bite-size pieces
2 tbsp vegetable oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped
…“ cup light soy sauce
…“ cup vinegar
1 bay leaf
½ tsp freshly ground pepper
1 cup water or more as needed
1 tbsp honey or brown sugar
INSTRUCTIONS
Heat oil in a large skillet; rotate to coat sides of skillet. Add Bavarian Wolpertinger pieces and cook until meat is browned.
Add garlic and sauté for a minute. Add soy sauce, vinegar, bay leaf, pepper and water.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes or until Bavarian Wolpertinger are tender. (Watch it carefully. Don't let it dry out.) Add water ½ cup at a time several times until Bavarian Wolpertinger meat is tender and the desired amount of sauce has been reached. Stir in honey or brown sugar.
Serve over steamed rice.
Enjoy!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Mittwoch, 10. Januar 2018 00:32:59 UTC+1 schrieb dsi1:
> On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 1:22:25 PM UTC-10, sanne wrote:
> >
> > I see! The Bavarian Wolpertinger finally made it across the Big Pond!
> > Some of them have webbed feet and/or wings, but it took them a while.
> >
> > Bye, Sanne.

> I don't know what the heck that is but it sounds tasty. I'd make adobo out of it.
>
> INGREDIENTS
> 2 lbs Bavarian Wolpertinger, cut into bite-size pieces
> 2 tbsp vegetable oil
> 3 cloves garlic, chopped
> …“ cup light soy sauce
> …“ cup vinegar
> 1 bay leaf
> ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
> 1 cup water or more as needed
> 1 tbsp honey or brown sugar
> INSTRUCTIONS
> Heat oil in a large skillet; rotate to coat sides of skillet. Add Bavarian Wolpertinger pieces and cook until meat is browned.
> Add garlic and sauté for a minute. Add soy sauce, vinegar, bay leaf, pepper and water.
> Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes or until Bavarian Wolpertinger are tender. (Watch it carefully. Don't let it dry out.) Add water ½ cup at a time several times until Bavarian Wolpertinger meat is tender and the desired amount of sauce has been reached. Stir in honey or brown sugar.
> Serve over steamed rice.
> Enjoy!

Nice!
Or one of these for a bigger family dinner:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_...ermis_male.JPG

Bye, Sanne.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2018 4:32 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 1:22:25 PM UTC-10, sanne wrote:
>>
>> I see! The Bavarian Wolpertinger finally made it across the Big Pond!
>> Some of them have webbed feet and/or wings, but it took them a while.
>>
>> Bye, Sanne.

> I don't know what the heck that is but it sounds tasty. I'd make adobo out of it.
>
> INGREDIENTS
> 2 lbs Bavarian Wolpertinger, cut into bite-size pieces
> 2 tbsp vegetable oil
> 3 cloves garlic, chopped
> …“ cup light soy sauce
> …“ cup vinegar
> 1 bay leaf
> ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
> 1 cup water or more as needed
> 1 tbsp honey or brown sugar
> INSTRUCTIONS
> Heat oil in a large skillet; rotate to coat sides of skillet. Add Bavarian Wolpertinger pieces and cook until meat is browned.
> Add garlic and sauté for a minute. Add soy sauce, vinegar, bay leaf, pepper and water.
> Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes or until Bavarian Wolpertinger are tender. (Watch it carefully. Don't let it dry out.) Add water ½ cup at a time several times until Bavarian Wolpertinger meat is tender and the desired amount of sauce has been reached. Stir in honey or brown sugar.
> Serve over steamed rice.
> Enjoy!

Well that'll work.

Now about the cryptids on your rock...

http://cryptidz.wikia.com/wiki/Menehune

http://uncannyhawaii.com/mo-o-dragon...vampire-drake/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2018 4:48 PM, sanne wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 10. Januar 2018 00:32:59 UTC+1 schrieb dsi1:
>> On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 1:22:25 PM UTC-10, sanne wrote:
>>>
>>> I see! The Bavarian Wolpertinger finally made it across the Big Pond!
>>> Some of them have webbed feet and/or wings, but it took them a while.
>>>
>>> Bye, Sanne.

>> I don't know what the heck that is but it sounds tasty. I'd make adobo out of it.
>>
>> INGREDIENTS
>> 2 lbs Bavarian Wolpertinger, cut into bite-size pieces
>> 2 tbsp vegetable oil
>> 3 cloves garlic, chopped
>> …“ cup light soy sauce
>> …“ cup vinegar
>> 1 bay leaf
>> ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
>> 1 cup water or more as needed
>> 1 tbsp honey or brown sugar
>> INSTRUCTIONS
>> Heat oil in a large skillet; rotate to coat sides of skillet. Add Bavarian Wolpertinger pieces and cook until meat is browned.
>> Add garlic and sauté for a minute. Add soy sauce, vinegar, bay leaf, pepper and water.
>> Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes or until Bavarian Wolpertinger are tender. (Watch it carefully. Don't let it dry out.) Add water ½ cup at a time several times until Bavarian Wolpertinger meat is tender and the desired amount of sauce has been reached. Stir in honey or brown sugar.
>> Serve over steamed rice.
>> Enjoy!

> Nice!
> Or one of these for a bigger family dinner:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_...ermis_male.JPG
>
> Bye, Sanne.

Dang!

Look at the fangs on that sucker...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 1:48:55 PM UTC-10, sanne wrote:

> Nice!
> Or one of these for a bigger family dinner:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_...ermis_male.JPG
>
> Bye, Sanne.

Fantastic! They look cute but they'll rip you to pieces!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 1:57:08 PM UTC-10, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:

> Well that'll work.
>
> Now about the cryptids on your rock...
>
> http://cryptidz.wikia.com/wiki/Menehune
>
> http://uncannyhawaii.com/mo-o-dragon...vampire-drake/

They might not be real but we don't make fun of those guys. I'm not taking any chances!

http://www.menehunesmc.com/images/family/bodegabay.gif
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2018 5:13 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 1:57:08 PM UTC-10, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:
>>

>> Well that'll work.
>>
>> Now about the cryptids on your rock...
>>
>> http://cryptidz.wikia.com/wiki/Menehune
>>
>> http://uncannyhawaii.com/mo-o-dragon...vampire-drake/

> They might not be real but we don't make fun of those guys. I'm not taking any chances!
>
> http://www.menehunesmc.com/images/family/bodegabay.gif

LOL, those little fellas has growed up some!

Look I still recall how the curse of Pele works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GtszASTNEE
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2018 5:40 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 11:34:28 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> I'd not kid about something like that, we do have oxen all over in the
>> mainland. I just went out for the mail and had to chase a couple out of
>> my driveway. You should have seen their tails too, very big. You can
>> cut the tails off and they grow another one in a few months. Most every
>> restaurant here has ox tail stew on the menu since it is so plentiful.

> Thank you for this information. Our tiny nation has to rely on the help of people like you from across the ocean for news of this sort. The ox tail crisis has reached a critical point since China has cut us off from their supply line. We had all but given in to despair.
>
> I shall inform the King of this important development. No doubt he will immediately dispatch a fleet of canoes to your land. Well, in reality, we'll probably make shore in California because we don't have compasses and that's the size of a target we can reliably hit. We have to use the stars to find our way around the Pacific. Well, in reality, we rely on one star. The sun. We just follow the sun when it comes up. At night we have to just guess.
>
> Please inform your king of our arrival in about 2 months. No need to make a big deal about it. A small, simple, luau for around 500 Hawaiians would be fine.

Preparations underway. The harvest of ox tails will start in a couple
of weeks. Please bring a bowl of poi. The jarred stuff we have here
has many additives and preservatives so Bruce does not approve of it for
luau use.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 7:16:19 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> > sanne wrote:
> > >
> > > dsi1:
> > >
> > > Given the history of the immigrants and the slaughterhouses
> > > everywhere in the USA, New York especially ("Give me your
> > > poor...")? I'm talking about the 19th/early 20th century
> > > regarding and introducing the oxtail to American cuisine.

> > I agree. It's been around in the US for long enough that it's
> > fairly common. Not a frequent food but...
> >
> > > Who would have thought that raw fish would be a thing in the USA?

> > arrgh - It's still not "a thing" in my household. IMO, even just
> > a bit of cooking does wonders for seafood.

> We're having sushi for dinner. My husband uses chopsticks because he
> likes to dip his rice in soy sauce. I use my hands, because I only
> dip the fish in the soy sauce. Yeah, he's a barbarian, but he's MY
> barbarian.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

LOL! Works for me!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > We're having sushi for dinner. My husband uses chopsticks because
> > he likes to dip his rice in soy sauce.

> Has he ever heard of a fork?
> Or a spoon to drizzle a little soy sauce over his rice?
>
> There is some bird that learned how to catch insects in their
> nest using a stick...isn't there some "intelligent" monkey that
> has learned the same? lol
>
> I'm always amused at how so many people use knives, forks and
> spoons....yet give them some asian take-out food and they switch
> to eating with a pair of sticks. heheh

Simple Gary! It's FUN!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 3:01:51 PM UTC-10, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:

> LOL, those little fellas has growed up some!
>
> Look I still recall how the curse of Pele works:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GtszASTNEE

As I recall, it was the curse of Lono. I'm ashamed to say that I know this. Lucky thing nobody's going to read this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS1vBb4AAZQ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 3:52:54 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Preparations underway. The harvest of ox tails will start in a couple
> of weeks. Please bring a bowl of poi. The jarred stuff we have here
> has many additives and preservatives so Bruce does not approve of it for
> luau use.

The curse of Bruce - very bad mana!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 10:32:56 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> > Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > >
> > > We're having sushi for dinner. My husband uses chopsticks
> > > because he likes to dip his rice in soy sauce.

> > Has he ever heard of a fork?

> A fork wouldn't work with sushi. It would break up the rice ball.
>
> > Or a spoon to drizzle a little soy sauce over his rice?

> He would still have to pick it up, and it would still be messy.
>
> > There is some bird that learned how to catch insects in their
> > nest using a stick...isn't there some "intelligent" monkey that
> > has learned the same? lol

> Chopsticks are twice as good as your bird's stick.
>
> > I'm always amused at how so many people use knives, forks and
> > spoons....yet give them some asian take-out food and they switch
> > to eating with a pair of sticks. heheh

> Why not? It works perfectly well. If chopsticks come in the bag
> with the takeout, why dirty a fork?

I learned how to use them so early, I only recall my brother and sister
laughing with our Mom as we ate the rare takeout and part of the treat,
was to eat with them. Mom suspended her normal 'polite eating' rules
and we were to put our faces over our plates so any food dropped hit
there to be gathererd back in next try. Good chance I was 3-4 then.

The fact that I many decades later moved to asia for a bit is
irrelevant. I learned this skill as a very young child.

I have always looked at it as pure fun! Later, I learned it can be
more efficient as well with some foods and that using the longer ones
as tongs in cooking works very well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 1:42:06 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:
> >
> > Shows how little you know about "Americans". I've been eating
> > oxtail all my life. I just pulled my husband's 1981 Betty Crocker
> > cookbook off the shelf, and found the recipe for oxtail stew. If I
> > still had my 1960s-vintage copy, I'm sure it would have the same
> > recipe.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> As a matter of fact, I don't know that much about the people on the
> mainland. You probably don't know much about the people on this rock.

There are few who can transition that. It;s not their fault no more
than you being not sure of mainland various cookery that you have not
really seen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 7:09:32 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >
> > where do you suppose those Americans came from? They brought all
> > their favorite foods with them because even here in the U,S,, cattle
> > have tails, chicken have feet, etc. Sweetbreads was one of my
> > favorites as a child. I ate pickled pigs feet along with my mom
> > (she loved them) We ate liver. It is only in recent times that
> > people decided they should only eat the big muscle parts. I hate
> > it when sausage advertises that it is made solely with some of the
> > big muscle parts of the animal. We love bacon, sausage and lunch
> > meats that were originally devised to utilize lesser parts of an
> > animal. If you are going to kill an animal for food, you'd better
> > be willing to eat the whole darn thing. End of sermon
> > Janet US

> I never said that people on the mainland don't eat oxtail. I know
> they do. If you tell me that most people love the stuff over there, I
> remain unconvinced.

You have to be an actual COOK to think of it. That is the same where
you are.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 20:52:47 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 1/9/2018 5:40 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 11:34:28 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd not kid about something like that, we do have oxen all over in the
>>> mainland. I just went out for the mail and had to chase a couple out of
>>> my driveway. You should have seen their tails too, very big. You can
>>> cut the tails off and they grow another one in a few months. Most every
>>> restaurant here has ox tail stew on the menu since it is so plentiful.

>> Thank you for this information. Our tiny nation has to rely on the help of people like you from across the ocean for news of this sort. The ox tail crisis has reached a critical point since China has cut us off from their supply line. We had all but given in to despair.
>>
>> I shall inform the King of this important development. No doubt he will immediately dispatch a fleet of canoes to your land. Well, in reality, we'll probably make shore in California because we don't have compasses and that's the size of a target we can reliably hit. We have to use the stars to find our way around the Pacific. Well, in reality, we rely on one star. The sun. We just follow the sun when it comes up. At night we have to just guess.
>>
>> Please inform your king of our arrival in about 2 months. No need to make a big deal about it. A small, simple, luau for around 500 Hawaiians would be fine.
>>

>Preparations underway. The harvest of ox tails will start in a couple
>of weeks. Please bring a bowl of poi. The jarred stuff we have here
>has many additives and preservatives so Bruce does not approve of it for
>luau use.

That's true. And please let us know if "poi" is your first reaction
when you smell the product by the same name.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 19:10:26 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 3:52:54 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> Preparations underway. The harvest of ox tails will start in a couple
>> of weeks. Please bring a bowl of poi. The jarred stuff we have here
>> has many additives and preservatives so Bruce does not approve of it for
>> luau use.

>The curse of Bruce - very bad mana!

I wish everybody very good mana.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 5:18:34 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:

> There are few who can transition that. It;s not their fault no more
> than you being not sure of mainland various cookery that you have not
> really seen.

No one is to blame for being ignorant about other cultures. My assumption was that oxtail soup is not that easy to find in restaurants on the mainland.. Let's just say that it "depends" and leave it at that. I was shocked to find that that you can't get fruit punch at McDonald's nor can cake noodle be found at Chinese restaurants on the mainland.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 20:19:59 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 5:18:34 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
>
>> There are few who can transition that. It;s not their fault no more
>> than you being not sure of mainland various cookery that you have not
>> really seen.

>No one is to blame for being ignorant about other cultures. My assumption was that oxtail soup is not that easy to find in restaurants on the mainland. Let's just say that it "depends" and leave it at that.

Is "it depends" Hawaiianese for "I was wrong, but I don't want to lose
face?"

> I was shocked to find that that you can't get fruit punch at McDonald's
> nor can cake noodle be found at Chinese restaurants on the mainland.

Did you have to sit down for a moment?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...

On 1/9/2018 3:18 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 10:09:21 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> In the US what's sold as oxtail is actually cow tail.

> I know. My dad told me that when I was a kid. When was the last time you
> saw oxen in the United States? I guess they have some in Texas. Perhaps
> there are some where Paul Bunyan lives. I just know that one of ya'alls
> going to be insisting oxen are all over the place in America. It's what
> yoose guys do.

I'd not kid about something like that, we do have oxen all over in the
mainland. I just went out for the mail and had to chase a couple out of
my driveway. You should have seen their tails too, very big. You can
cut the tails off and they grow another one in a few months. Most every
restaurant here has ox tail stew on the menu since it is so plentiful.

==

Do they do that??? ... cut off their tails?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Casa estilo antiguo" wrote in message news
On 1/9/2018 2:34 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 1/9/2018 3:18 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 10:09:21 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
>>>
>>> In the US what's sold as oxtail is actually cow tail.

>> I know. My dad told me that when I was a kid. When was the last time you
>> saw oxen in the United States? I guess they have some in Texas. Perhaps
>> there are some where Paul Bunyan lives. I just know that one of ya'alls
>> going to be insisting oxen are all over the place in America. It's what
>> yoose guys do.
>>

> I'd not kid about something like that, we do have oxen all over in the
> mainland. I just went out for the mail and had to chase a couple out of
> my driveway. You should have seen their tails too, very big. You can cut
> the tails off and they grow another one in a few months. Most every
> restaurant here has ox tail stew on the menu since it is so plentiful.

I like to head north to hunt:

https://img.gawkerassets.com/img/186...g/original.jpg

They're very wiley...

==

lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Mittwoch, 10. Januar 2018 11:25:15 UTC+1 schrieb Ophelia:
> "Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...
>
> On 1/9/2018 3:18 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 10:09:21 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> >>
> >> In the US what's sold as oxtail is actually cow tail.

> > I know. My dad told me that when I was a kid. When was the last time you
> > saw oxen in the United States? I guess they have some in Texas. Perhaps
> > there are some where Paul Bunyan lives. I just know that one of ya'alls
> > going to be insisting oxen are all over the place in America. It's what
> > yoose guys do.
> >

> I'd not kid about something like that, we do have oxen all over in the
> mainland. I just went out for the mail and had to chase a couple out of
> my driveway. You should have seen their tails too, very big. You can
> cut the tails off and they grow another one in a few months. Most every
> restaurant here has ox tail stew on the menu since it is so plentiful.
>
> ==
>
> Do they do that??? ... cut off their tails?

Usually not - "only" their Rocky Mountain oysters before they're called
oxen.

Bye, Sanne.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 12:55:08 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 09:33:48 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 7:09:32 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >>
> >> where do you suppose those Americans came from? They brought all
> >> their favorite foods with them because even here in the U,S,, cattle
> >> have tails, chicken have feet, etc. Sweetbreads was one of my
> >> favorites as a child. I ate pickled pigs feet along with my mom (she
> >> loved them) We ate liver. It is only in recent times that people
> >> decided they should only eat the big muscle parts. I hate it when
> >> sausage advertises that it is made solely with some of the big muscle
> >> parts of the animal. We love bacon, sausage and lunch meats that
> >> were originally devised to utilize lesser parts of an animal. If you
> >> are going to kill an animal for food, you'd better be willing to eat
> >> the whole darn thing. End of sermon
> >> Janet US

> >I never said that people on the mainland don't eat oxtail. I know they do. If you tell me that most people love the stuff over there, I remain unconvinced.

> You said 'eating oxtail hardly seems American" I've expressed that
> 'Americans' do in fact eat oxtail In fact, it has become hard to find
> and very expensive because certain restaurants and areas of the
> country make specialties with oxtail. I do not need to show you that
> most (what ever that is) Americans eat it. That's a ridiculous
> statement like asking do most people on the mainland eat grits? No.
> Janet US

dsi1 seems to have a blind spot about the sheer diversity of mainland
Americans. It's only to be expected, given the predominance of
Asians where he lives.

Cindy Hamilton

REC salmon croquettes piedmont General Cooking 5 13-05-2010 04:45 PM
Chicken Croquettes?? Jeanne Burton General Cooking 12 07-01-2010 07:18 PM
Egg Croquettes kuyabayu Recipes 1 07-07-2009 06:27 PM
Ham Croquettes Chef R W Miller Recipes (moderated) 0 28-04-2007 04:04 PM