Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Croquettes with no egg?

On 1/7/2018 10:34 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Cindy Hamilton"Â* wrote in message
>
> On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 9:30:43 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
>> "Cindy Hamilton"Â* wrote in message
>>
>> On Saturday, January 6, 2018 at 5:04:50 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

>> them?"

>> you

>> > I like croquettes. If I couldn't have eggs, I'd want to investigate
>> > eggless croquettes too. "Dur".

>> In Julie's position, I would have googled "vegan croquettes baked" and
>> used my judgment as to what looked promising.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>> ==
>>
>> OTOH given this is a food group ...

> I'm not sure I would have expected anybody here to have experience with
> baked, eggless croquettes.Â* Everybody's eating habits seem to be pretty
> close to average.Â* Julie is 6*sigma away from the mean.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> ==
>
> I guess we can't know unless we ask

Julie is the one who asked.

"I need a recipe for baked ones with no egg. I used to make some with
hominy (perhaps grits?) and cheese. They were rolled in bread crumbs and
baked. I served them with tomato sauce on top. I think I no longer have
the cookbook that that the recipe was in though. It did contain egg but
I think if I put enough cheese in, it might be enough to bind it all
together.

Anyone have a recipe for some with no egg? And no, I don't really know
of any good egg substitutes. Most don't work. Flax seeds might work in
this though."

Sorry, but what she's describing is not croquettes. It's some sort of
weird concoction. When I said later the only actual croquettes I'm
familiar with are made with diced chicken and fried she replied
"Exactly!" So what exactly is she trying to cook?

Some people suggested sure, add extra cheese to help bind whatever.

The rest of us have no idea what she's actually talking about. Baked
croquettes made from grains with no eggs topped with tomato sauce is not
a common food.

Potato pancakes are common. But she didn't mention potatoes. Or
chicken. She mentioned a bunch of grains and cheese bound together
somehow, baked. She's the one who used the word "croquettes".

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

I've actually made potato patties using leftover mashed potatoes
and no mix ins..not even eggs. Just take cold mashed potatoes and
form them into patties, flour, then keep them cold.

Heat a frying pan with some oil and once hot, add the COLD potato
patties carefully. Let cook and don't touch until they are very
browned and crusty, then carefully turn and brown the other side.
No worries and good potato cakes. No eggs either. :-)

==

I have made those too. They were good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Jan 2018 06:58:10 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 9:30:43 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
>> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>>
>> On Saturday, January 6, 2018 at 5:04:50 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

>> > I like croquettes. If I couldn't have eggs, I'd want to investigate
>> > eggless croquettes too. "Dur".

>> In Julie's position, I would have googled "vegan croquettes baked" and
>> used my judgment as to what looked promising.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>> ==
>>
>> OTOH given this is a food group ...

>I'm not sure I would have expected anybody here to have experience with
>baked, eggless croquettes. Everybody's eating habits seem to be pretty
>close to average. Julie is 6*sigma away from the mean.

"Does anybody have an eggless croquette recipe" isn't a very weird
question in a food group.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Jan 2018 11:08:07 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>Julie is the one who asked.
>
>"I need a recipe for baked ones with no egg. I used to make some with
>hominy (perhaps grits?) and cheese. They were rolled in bread crumbs and
>baked. I served them with tomato sauce on top. I think I no longer have
>the cookbook that that the recipe was in though. It did contain egg but
>I think if I put enough cheese in, it might be enough to bind it all
>together.
>
>Anyone have a recipe for some with no egg? And no, I don't really know
>of any good egg substitutes. Most don't work. Flax seeds might work in
>this though."
>
>Sorry, but what she's describing is not croquettes. It's some sort of
>weird concoction. When I said later the only actual croquettes I'm
>familiar with are made with diced chicken and fried she replied
>"Exactly!" So what exactly is she trying to cook?
>
>Some people suggested sure, add extra cheese to help bind whatever.
>
>The rest of us have no idea what she's actually talking about. Baked
>croquettes made from grains with no eggs topped with tomato sauce is not
>a common food.
>
>Potato pancakes are common. But she didn't mention potatoes. Or
>chicken. She mentioned a bunch of grains and cheese bound together
>somehow, baked. She's the one who used the word "croquettes".

What Julie is describing sounds to me something like arancini, aka
fried risotto balls. You can make these and serve them with a tomato
sauce - I've done something similar with leftover risotto.

But she says they are made with cornmeal (grits). So this made me
think of leftover polenta, chilled, fried, and topped with tomato
sauce. Also something I've made in the past.

Both the arancini and the polenta have cheese in them (at least, the
ones I make do), and no eggs.

Perhaps she could try making some polenta, adding cheese, forming into
balls or patties, frying, and topping with tomato sauce.

It might not be exactly what she remembers, but I'm willing to bet it
will be tasty.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
news
> On Sat, 6 Jan 2018 23:23:01 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Sat, 6 Jan 2018 18:00:20 -0800, "Julie Bove"

m...

>>> don't be so dim

>>I don't think I'm the dim one here.

> you already said there is no satisfactory 'fake egg.' So find
> something else that works as a binder. Now do you understand?

Why don't you tell me what else works as a binder because I don't know.
But... If it did work as a binder, then it would be an egg substitute. No?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> I've actually made potato patties using leftover mashed potatoes
> and no mix ins..not even eggs. Just take cold mashed potatoes and
> form them into patties, flour, then keep them cold.
>
> Heat a frying pan with some oil and once hot, add the COLD potato
> patties carefully. Let cook and don't touch until they are very
> browned and crusty, then carefully turn and brown the other side.
> No worries and good potato cakes. No eggs either. :-)

I have made those like that. Tiny ones. Thankfully, Angela liked them but I
did not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/7/2018 10:44 AM, Gary wrote:
>> I've actually made potato patties using leftover mashed potatoes
>> and no mix ins..not even eggs. Just take cold mashed potatoes and
>> form them into patties, flour, then keep them cold.
>>
>> Heat a frying pan with some oil and once hot, add the COLD potato
>> patties carefully. Let cook and don't touch until they are very
>> browned and crusty, then carefully turn and brown the other side.
>> No worries and good potato cakes. No eggs either. :-)
>>

> Except that's not what she's looking for. All the suggestions in the
> world won't help.

Potato patties and croquettes are not the same thing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Casa estilo antiguo" > wrote in message
news
> On 1/7/2018 8:22 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> I'm not sure I would have expected anybody here to have experience with
>>> baked, eggless croquettes. Everybody's eating habits seem to be pretty
>>> close to average. Julie is 6*sigma away from the mean.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> Just because this is a food ng doesn't mean we'll be able to figure out
>> what weird sort of croquettes Julie wants. Croquettes contain eggs. I've
>> never heard of baked eggless croquettes topped with tomato sauce.
>>
>> Jill

> Well then...
>
> https://www.olivetomato.com/greek-ch...osoutzoukakia/
>
> Greek Chickpea Patties with Tomato Sauce €“ Revithosoutzoukakia
>
> Yield: About 20 patties
>
> Ingredients
>
> For the Patties
> 3 cups boiled chickpeas (canned or boiled from dry)
> 1 medium tomato
> ½ cup parsley
> 2 garlic cloves, minced
> 1 tablespoon olive oil plus more for frying
> ¼ cup water
> ½ cup all purpose flour (or more as needed) plus more for coating
> ½ teaspoon baking soda
> 1 teaspoon salt
> Pepper
>
> For the sauce
> 2 teaspoons tomato paste
> ½ cup water
> 3 tablespoons olive oil
> ¼ teaspoon sugar
> Salt/pepper to taste
>
> Instructions
>
> In a food processor mix the chickpeas and tomato, do not over mix, the
> mixture should be grainy.
> Add the garlic, parsley, 1 tablespoon olive oil, water, salt, pepper
> and baking soda and blend. Again do not over mix.
> Place the mixture in a bowl (dough will be very sticky) and add flour,
> 1 or 2 tablespoons at a time. Knead with your hands, the dough should be
> soft but firm enough to shape into patties.
> Roll into balls , flattening them a bit, using about 2 teaspoons of
> the mixture for each patty. Coat with the flour.
> Heat olive oil in a pan (oil should be about ¼ inch deep in the pan).
> Fry the patties about 2 minutes on each side.
> Remove and place on paper towels to absorb any oil and set aside.
> Begin the sauce by heating the tomato paste, olive oil and water along
> with the sugar, salt and pepper in pan, let it come to a boil and then
> lower the heat.
> Add the chickpea patties to the sauce and spoon the sauce gently over
> the patties.
> Heat for a 1-2 more minutes and serve.

Even though those are fried, they seem like they would bake well. Sounds a
bit like falafel. Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/7/2018 10:34 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>>
>> On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 9:30:43 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:

>>> them?"
>>> you

>>> In Julie's position, I would have googled "vegan croquettes baked" and
>>> used my judgment as to what looked promising.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>> ==
>>>
>>> OTOH given this is a food group ...

>> I'm not sure I would have expected anybody here to have experience with
>> baked, eggless croquettes. Everybody's eating habits seem to be pretty
>> close to average. Julie is 6*sigma away from the mean.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I guess we can't know unless we ask
>>

> Julie is the one who asked.
>
> "I need a recipe for baked ones with no egg. I used to make some with
> hominy (perhaps grits?) and cheese. They were rolled in bread crumbs and
> baked. I served them with tomato sauce on top. I think I no longer have
> the cookbook that that the recipe was in though. It did contain egg but I
> think if I put enough cheese in, it might be enough to bind it all
> together.
>
> Anyone have a recipe for some with no egg? And no, I don't really know of
> any good egg substitutes. Most don't work. Flax seeds might work in this
> though."
>
> Sorry, but what she's describing is not croquettes. It's some sort of
> weird concoction. When I said later the only actual croquettes I'm
> familiar with are made with diced chicken and fried she replied "Exactly!"
> So what exactly is she trying to cook?
>
> Some people suggested sure, add extra cheese to help bind whatever.
>
> The rest of us have no idea what she's actually talking about. Baked
> croquettes made from grains with no eggs topped with tomato sauce is not a
> common food.
>
> Potato pancakes are common. But she didn't mention potatoes. Or chicken.
> She mentioned a bunch of grains and cheese bound together somehow, baked.
> She's the one who used the word "croquettes".

The recipe I had came from a depression era cookbook. In those days things
were often baked instead of fried as people didn't always have the oil to
fry. I know that recipe contained egg but it might have only been to dip the
croquettes in prior to rolling in bread crumbs. I can't remember. Might have
been an egg mixed into the hominy as well. I gather that croquettes were
commonly eaten in those days and they were served as the dinner rather than
a side dish. It was a good way to incorporate a small amount of meat if that
was all that you had. Most of those recipes included instructions for both
frying and baking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Casa estilo antiguo" > wrote in message
news
> On 1/7/2018 7:30 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>>
>> On Saturday, January 6, 2018 at 5:04:50 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

>>> substitute.

>>> I like croquettes. If I couldn't have eggs, I'd want to investigate
>>> eggless croquettes too. "Dur".

>> In Julie's position, I would have googled "vegan croquettes baked" and
>> used my judgment as to what looked promising.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>> ==
>>
>> OTOH given this is a food group ...
>>

> Then play on:
>
> https://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan...le-croquettes/
>
> Ingredients
>
> 5.5 ounces quinoa flakes
> 1.73 ounces brown rice flour
> 10.5 ounces zucchini, grated
> 7 ounces carrot, grated
> 1 small white onion, grated
> 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
> 2 teaspoons curry powder
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
> A pinch of red chili flakes
> 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
> 2 heaping tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
> 1 3/4 cups soy milk
> Gluten-free breadcrumbs for coating
> Vegetable oil for cooking
>
> That's 3 recipes I have up, any bets on whether one is accepted?

Oooh! Not a fan of curry myself but I will see if my gardener is. This
recipe does seem right up his alley. Would you believe that he went through
some of my cookbooks last night? I was getting rid of some and he took one!
It was more of a raw food book but at least I am getting a better handle on
what he likes to eat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Casa estilo antiguo" > wrote in message
news
> On 1/7/2018 7:58 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 9:30:43 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:

>>> In Julie's position, I would have googled "vegan croquettes baked" and
>>> used my judgment as to what looked promising.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>> ==
>>>
>>> OTOH given this is a food group ...

>> I'm not sure I would have expected anybody here to have experience with
>> baked, eggless croquettes. Everybody's eating habits seem to be pretty
>> close to average. Julie is 6*sigma away from the mean.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

> Which is true and also what makes her so interesting...
>
> Somewhere I have a most odd but pleasing recipe she shared for a Pillsbury
> poppin' fresh casserole.
>
> Quick and cool.

There is a video going around FB right now where a guy gives a spiel about
how some people will just never like you because you don't fit into their
ideal of preconceived notions. And that's fine with me. I'd rather not
follow the crowd.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Casa estilo antiguo" > wrote in message
news
> On 1/7/2018 7:14 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Saturday, January 6, 2018 at 5:04:50 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

>>> I like croquettes. If I couldn't have eggs, I'd want to investigate
>>> eggless croquettes too. "Dur".

>> In Julie's position, I would have googled "vegan croquettes baked" and
>> used my judgment as to what looked promising.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

> A savvy call, and then:
>
> http://www.oliviascuisine.com/vegan-croquettes/
>
> Vegan Croquettes
>
> Save Print
> Prep time
> 15 mins
> Cook time
> 5 mins
> Total time
> 20 mins
>
> Author: Olivia's Cuisine
> Serves: about 30 croquettes
> Ingredients
>
> …“ cup olive oil
> 1 large sweet (or yellow) onion, finely chopped
> 3 cloves of garlic, minced
> 3 cloves of garlic, whole (with skin)
> 1 medium tomato, chopped
> 1 package (13.7oz) Gardein's Beefless Ground, thawed overnight in the
> fridge
> 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
> ½ tsp freshly ground nutmeg
> Salt and pepper to taste
> 2 cups vegetable broth
> 2½ cups all purpose flour
> A bowl of cold water
> 2 cups Panko
> Vegetable oil for frying
>
> Or:
>
> https://www.elephantasticvegan.com/v...to-croquettes/
>
> Ingredients
> Basic Potato Dough
>
> 9 floury potatoes
> 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
> 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
> 4 tablespoons unsweetened oat milk (or rice milk)
> 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
> 3/4 teaspoon salt
>
> Breading Ingredients
>
> 1 cup all-purpose flour
> 1 cup unsweetened oat milk (or rice milk)
> 1 cup breadcrumbs
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> frying oil

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lauren Z" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 03 Jan 2018 00:09:20 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Anyone have a recipe for some with no egg? And no, I don't really know
>> of any good egg substitutes. Most don't work. Flax seeds might work in
>> this though.

> Hmmm.. I don't think what you talking about seem to be what I know as
> "croquettes" which is by no means the definition of them.
>
> I've always had salmon cakes all my life. Make them all the time. Went to
> some restaurants seen "salmon croquettes" and never ordered them since
> didn't match up to anything I had ever had. Some one in a party finally
> ordered them, and AHA! Salmon cakes!
>
> I just take canned salmon, dump it all in a big bowl, crumble up saltines
> or use cracker meal or both saltines & bread crumbs. Mix. Form into
> patties/cakes and fry. I learned to make them with an egg. I've done it
> both ways with and with out egg(s). I think the biggest difference is
> that those with the egg tend to brown up better versus those with out.
>
> Canned salmon obviously has enough liquid in them to mix with the
> saltines or bread crumbs or both to bind it all together. Adding the egg
> was sort of like ensuring it, and usually you need more saltines or
> bread crumbs to bind it all up.
>
> Never have baked them. I suppose you could. Of late I have been getting
> things like dill sauce or stuff to put on top versus just plain.
>
> What is the filler you want to make these with??
>
> Flax seeds? As a filler? Since that sounds remotely healthy, I would have
> no clue on their use.

I had salmon cakes when I was growing up. Nasty things. Cakes like that are
not croquettes. The ones that I made had more of a rounded shape.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Jan 2018 16:11:48 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
>news
>> On Sat, 6 Jan 2018 23:23:01 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

snip

>>>I don't think I'm the dim one here.

>> you already said there is no satisfactory 'fake egg.' So find
>> something else that works as a binder. Now do you understand?

>Why don't you tell me what else works as a binder because I don't know.
>But... If it did work as a binder, then it would be an egg substitute. No?

You're twisting in the wind Julie, twisting in the wind. I won't play
that game with you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 9:30:43 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> > "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
> >
> > On Saturday, January 6, 2018 at 5:04:50 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> > > On Sat, 6 Jan 2018 16:05:02 -0500, jmcquown

> > > So...

> > > them?" >>> I answered your rhetorical question.
> > > thought you >>> would be able to figure a simple work around for
> > > no egg and baking. >>> Janet US

> > > I like croquettes. If I couldn't have eggs, I'd want to
> > > investigate eggless croquettes too. "Dur".

> > In Julie's position, I would have googled "vegan croquettes baked"
> > and used my judgment as to what looked promising.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> > ==
> >
> > OTOH given this is a food group ...

> I'm not sure I would have expected anybody here to have experience
> with baked, eggless croquettes. Everybody's eating habits seem to be
> pretty close to average. Julie is 6*sigma away from the mean.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Some cook a bit different but then I don't know a real binder either
for that sort of thing.

I made something a *bit* like a crocquette using tofu once but it's a
stretch to call it the real thing. It was more a small chopped shrimp
with leeks and green onion bulbs and such pressed to shape. I suspect
most here would relate it better to won-ton filling.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 1/7/2018 9:58 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 9:30:43 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:

> > > In Julie's position, I would have googled "vegan croquettes
> > > baked" and used my judgment as to what looked promising.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton
> > > ==
> > >
> > > OTOH given this is a food group ...

> > I'm not sure I would have expected anybody here to have experience
> > with baked, eggless croquettes. Everybody's eating habits seem to
> > be pretty close to average. Julie is 6*sigma away from the mean.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> Just because this is a food ng doesn't mean we'll be able to figure
> out what weird sort of croquettes Julie wants. Croquettes contain
> eggs. I've never heard of baked eggless croquettes topped with tomato
> sauce.
>
> Jill

Topped with tomato sauce? Umm, not my cookery there. Maybe anothers
may do that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> I've actually made potato patties using leftover mashed potatoes
> and no mix ins..not even eggs. Just take cold mashed potatoes and
> form them into patties, flour, then keep them cold.
>
> Heat a frying pan with some oil and once hot, add the COLD potato
> patties carefully. Let cook and don't touch until they are very
> browned and crusty, then carefully turn and brown the other side.
> No worries and good potato cakes. No eggs either. :-)

True and I suspect many have as well, but those aren't croquettes.
They by definition normally have meat (seafood or other) along with
many other things and need a binder to hold together.

I make those same potato cakes but I add chives or other things along
in the mix. Good plain but better with a bit of other things!

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/7/2018 5:11 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> news
>> On Sat, 6 Jan 2018 23:23:01 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>> I don't think I'm the dim one here.

>> you already said there is no satisfactory 'fake egg.'Â* So find
>> something else that works as a binder.Â* Now do you understand?

> Why don't you tell me what else works as a binder because I don't know.
> But... If it did work as a binder, then it would be an egg substitute. No?

Tapioca!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/7/2018 5:16 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Casa estilo antiguo" > wrote in message
> news

>>> Just because this is a food ng doesn't mean we'll be able to figure
>>> out what weird sort of croquettes Julie wants. Croquettes contain
>>> eggs. I've never heard of baked eggless croquettes topped with tomato
>>> sauce.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Well then...
>>
>> https://www.olivetomato.com/greek-ch...osoutzoukakia/
>>

>> Greek Chickpea Patties with Tomato Sauce €“ Revithosoutzoukakia
>>
>> Yield: About 20 patties
>>
>> Ingredients
>>
>> Â*Â*Â* For the Patties
>> Â*Â*Â* 3 cups boiled chickpeas (canned or boiled from dry)
>> Â*Â*Â* 1 medium tomato
>> Â*Â*Â* ½ cup parsley
>> Â*Â*Â* 2 garlic cloves, minced
>> Â*Â*Â* 1 tablespoon olive oil plus more for frying
>> Â*Â*Â* ¼ cup water
>> Â*Â*Â* ½ cup all purpose flour (or more as needed) plus more for coating
>> Â*Â*Â* ½ teaspoon baking soda
>> Â*Â*Â* 1 teaspoon salt
>> Â*Â*Â* Pepper
>>
>> Â*Â*Â* For the sauce
>> Â*Â*Â* 2 teaspoons tomato paste
>> Â*Â*Â* ½ cup water
>> Â*Â*Â* 3 tablespoons olive oil
>> Â*Â*Â* ¼ teaspoon sugar
>> Â*Â*Â* Salt/pepper to taste
>>
>> Instructions
>>
>> Â*Â*Â* In a food processor mix the chickpeas and tomato, do not over mix,
>> the mixture should be grainy.
>> Â*Â*Â* Add the garlic, parsley, 1 tablespoon olive oil, water, salt,
>> pepper and baking soda and blend. Again do not over mix.
>> Â*Â*Â* Place the mixture in a bowl (dough will be very sticky) and add
>> flour, 1 or 2 tablespoons at a time. Knead with your hands, the dough
>> should be soft but firm enough to shape into patties.
>> Â*Â*Â* Roll into balls , flattening them a bit, using about 2 teaspoons
>> of the mixture for each patty. Coat with the flour.
>> Â*Â*Â* Heat olive oil in a pan (oil should be about ¼ inch deep in the pan).
>> Â*Â*Â* Fry the patties about 2 minutes on each side.
>> Â*Â*Â* Remove and place on paper towels to absorb any oil and set aside.
>> Â*Â*Â* Begin the sauce by heating the tomato paste, olive oil and water
>> along with the sugar, salt and pepper in pan, let it come to a boil
>> and then lower the heat.
>> Â*Â*Â* Add the chickpea patties to the sauce and spoon the sauce gently
>> over the patties.
>> Â*Â*Â* Heat for a 1-2 more minutes and serve.

> Even though those are fried, they seem like they would bake well. Sounds
> a bit like falafel. Thanks!

De nada Sra!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/7/2018 5:23 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Casa estilo antiguo" > wrote in message
> news
>> On 1/7/2018 7:30 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> In Julie's position, I would have googled "vegan croquettes baked" and
>>> used my judgment as to what looked promising.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>> ==
>>>
>>> OTOH given this is a food group ...
>>>

>> Then play on:
>>
>> https://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan...le-croquettes/
>>
>> Ingredients
>>
>> Â*Â*Â* 5.5 ounces quinoa flakes
>> Â*Â*Â* 1.73 ounces brown rice flour
>> Â*Â*Â* 10.5 ounces zucchini, grated
>> Â*Â*Â* 7 ounces carrot, grated
>> Â*Â*Â* 1 small white onion, grated
>> Â*Â*Â* 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
>> Â*Â*Â* 2 teaspoons curry powder
>> Â*Â*Â* 1 teaspoon salt
>> Â*Â*Â* 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
>> Â*Â*Â* A pinch of red chili flakes
>> Â*Â*Â* 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
>> Â*Â*Â* 2 heaping tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
>> Â*Â*Â* 1 3/4 cups soy milk
>> Â*Â*Â* Gluten-free breadcrumbs for coating
>> Â*Â*Â* Vegetable oil for cooking
>>
>> Â*That's 3 recipes I have up, any bets on whether one is accepted?

> Oooh! Not a fan of curry myself but I will see if my gardener is. This
> recipe does seem right up his alley. Would you believe that he went
> through some of my cookbooks last night? I was getting rid of some and
> he took one! It was more of a raw food book but at least I am getting a
> better handle on what he likes to eat.

Curry is one of those acquired tastes.

I think your gardener has taste!

;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/7/2018 5:53 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Casa estilo antiguo" > wrote in message
> news

>>> In Julie's position, I would have googled "vegan croquettes baked" and
>>> used my judgment as to what looked promising.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> A savvy call, and then:
>>
>> http://www.oliviascuisine.com/vegan-croquettes/
>>
>> Vegan Croquettes
>>
>> Save Print
>> Prep time
>> 15 mins
>> Cook time
>> 5 mins
>> Total time
>> 20 mins
>>
>> Author: Olivia's Cuisine
>> Serves: about 30 croquettes
>> Ingredients
>>
>> Â*Â*Â* …“ cup olive oil
>> Â*Â*Â* 1 large sweet (or yellow) onion, finely chopped
>> Â*Â*Â* 3 cloves of garlic, minced
>> Â*Â*Â* 3 cloves of garlic, whole (with skin)
>> Â*Â*Â* 1 medium tomato, chopped
>> Â*Â*Â* 1 package (13.7oz) Gardein's Beefless Ground, thawed overnight in
>> the fridge
>> Â*Â*Â* 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
>> Â*Â*Â* ½ tsp freshly ground nutmeg
>> Â*Â*Â* Salt and pepper to taste
>> Â*Â*Â* 2 cups vegetable broth
>> Â*Â*Â* 2½ cups all purpose flour
>> Â*Â*Â* A bowl of cold water
>> Â*Â*Â* 2 cups Panko
>> Â*Â*Â* Vegetable oil for frying
>>
>> Or:
>>
>> https://www.elephantasticvegan.com/v...to-croquettes/
>>
>> Ingredients
>> Basic Potato Dough
>>
>> Â*Â*Â* 9 floury potatoes
>> Â*Â*Â* 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
>> Â*Â*Â* 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
>> Â*Â*Â* 4 tablespoons unsweetened oat milk (or rice milk)
>> Â*Â*Â* 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
>> Â*Â*Â* 3/4 teaspoon salt
>>
>> Breading Ingredients
>>
>> Â*Â*Â* 1 cup all-purpose flour
>> Â*Â*Â* 1 cup unsweetened oat milk (or rice milk)
>> Â*Â*Â* 1 cup breadcrumbs
>> Â*Â*Â* 1/2 teaspoon salt
>> Â*Â*Â* frying oil

> Thanks!

Yer welcome!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 7 Jan 2018 11:08:07 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>>Julie is the one who asked.
>>
>>"I need a recipe for baked ones with no egg. I used to make some with
>>hominy (perhaps grits?) and cheese. They were rolled in bread crumbs and
>>baked. I served them with tomato sauce on top. I think I no longer have
>>the cookbook that that the recipe was in though. It did contain egg but
>>I think if I put enough cheese in, it might be enough to bind it all
>>together.
>>
>>Anyone have a recipe for some with no egg? And no, I don't really know
>>of any good egg substitutes. Most don't work. Flax seeds might work in
>>this though."
>>
>>Sorry, but what she's describing is not croquettes. It's some sort of
>>weird concoction. When I said later the only actual croquettes I'm
>>familiar with are made with diced chicken and fried she replied
>>"Exactly!" So what exactly is she trying to cook?
>>
>>Some people suggested sure, add extra cheese to help bind whatever.
>>
>>The rest of us have no idea what she's actually talking about. Baked
>>croquettes made from grains with no eggs topped with tomato sauce is not
>>a common food.
>>
>>Potato pancakes are common. But she didn't mention potatoes. Or
>>chicken. She mentioned a bunch of grains and cheese bound together
>>somehow, baked. She's the one who used the word "croquettes".

> What Julie is describing sounds to me something like arancini, aka
> fried risotto balls. You can make these and serve them with a tomato
> sauce - I've done something similar with leftover risotto.

No. Not like that at all.

> But she says they are made with cornmeal (grits). So this made me
> think of leftover polenta, chilled, fried, and topped with tomato
> sauce. Also something I've made in the past.
>
> Both the arancini and the polenta have cheese in them (at least, the
> ones I make do), and no eggs.
>
> Perhaps she could try making some polenta, adding cheese, forming into
> balls or patties, frying, and topping with tomato sauce.

Wouldn't work, I don't think. These were not made of polenta and they were
baked, not fried.

> It might not be exactly what she remembers, but I'm willing to bet it
> will be tasty.

Only if you like polenta.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 3:01:20 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:

> There is a video going around FB right now where a guy gives a spiel about
> how some people will just never like you because you don't fit into their
> ideal of preconceived notions. And that's fine with me. I'd rather not
> follow the crowd.

This is one crowd you don't ever want to follow. You have a kind heart and these sharks will zero in on and attack any human weakness they can smell. That's seriously messed up.

Here's what my wife and I had for lunch. Steak and lobster.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...LIiIqWzSX7Fv7n
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Sun, 7 Jan 2018 16:11:48 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
>>news
>>> On Sat, 6 Jan 2018 23:23:01 -0800, "Julie Bove"

m...

> snip

>>> you already said there is no satisfactory 'fake egg.' So find
>>> something else that works as a binder. Now do you understand?

>>Why don't you tell me what else works as a binder because I don't know.
>>But... If it did work as a binder, then it would be an egg substitute. No?

> You're twisting in the wind Julie, twisting in the wind. I won't play
> that game with you.

Good cuz I don't know the rules. I can sing Dust In the Wind.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Casa estilo antiguo" > wrote in message
news
> On 1/7/2018 5:11 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
>> news
>>> On Sat, 6 Jan 2018 23:23:01 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>>> you already said there is no satisfactory 'fake egg.' So find
>>> something else that works as a binder. Now do you understand?

>> Why don't you tell me what else works as a binder because I don't know.
>> But... If it did work as a binder, then it would be an egg substitute.
>> No?

> Tapioca!

Really?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/7/2018 10:08 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 3:01:20 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> There is a video going around FB right now where a guy gives a spiel about
>> how some people will just never like you because you don't fit into their
>> ideal of preconceived notions. And that's fine with me. I'd rather not
>> follow the crowd.

> This is one crowd you don't ever want to follow. You have a kind heart and these sharks will zero in on and attack any human weakness they can smell. That's seriously messed up.

Tell it.

> Here's what my wife and I had for lunch. Steak and lobster.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...LIiIqWzSX7Fv7n

Whole roasted garlic cloves on that steak?

Wow.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/7/2018 10:09 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 7 Jan 2018 16:11:48 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> "U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
>>> news >>>> On Sat, 6 Jan 2018 23:23:01 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>> snip

>>> Why don't you tell me what else works as a binder because I don't know.
>>> But... If it did work as a binder, then it would be an egg
>>> substitute. No?

>> You're twisting in the wind Julie, twisting in the wind.Â* I won't play
>> that game with you.

> Good cuz I don't know the rules. I can sing Dust In the Wind.

Cary on my wayward son...etc...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Casa estilo antiguo" > wrote in message
news
> On 1/7/2018 5:23 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Casa estilo antiguo" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> Then play on:
>>>
>>> https://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan...le-croquettes/
>>>
>>> Ingredients
>>>
>>> 5.5 ounces quinoa flakes
>>> 1.73 ounces brown rice flour
>>> 10.5 ounces zucchini, grated
>>> 7 ounces carrot, grated
>>> 1 small white onion, grated
>>> 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
>>> 2 teaspoons curry powder
>>> 1 teaspoon salt
>>> 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
>>> A pinch of red chili flakes
>>> 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
>>> 2 heaping tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
>>> 1 3/4 cups soy milk
>>> Gluten-free breadcrumbs for coating
>>> Vegetable oil for cooking
>>>
>>> That's 3 recipes I have up, any bets on whether one is accepted?

>> Oooh! Not a fan of curry myself but I will see if my gardener is. This
>> recipe does seem right up his alley. Would you believe that he went
>> through some of my cookbooks last night? I was getting rid of some and he
>> took one! It was more of a raw food book but at least I am getting a
>> better handle on what he likes to eat.

> Curry is one of those acquired tastes.
>
> I think your gardener has taste!
>
> ;-)

Probably.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/7/2018 10:12 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Casa estilo antiguo" > wrote in message
> news
>> On 1/7/2018 5:11 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> "U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
>>> news >>>> On Sat, 6 Jan 2018 23:23:01 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>>> Why don't you tell me what else works as a binder because I don't
>>> know. But... If it did work as a binder, then it would be an egg
>>> substitute. No?

>> Tapioca!

> Really?

You would be amazed!

Arrowroot too.

http://www.fundies.com.au/health-ene...tapioca-flours

https://agirlworthsaving.net/2015/02...s-tapioca.html

....heh...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/7/2018 10:13 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Casa estilo antiguo" > wrote in message
> news
>> On 1/7/2018 5:23 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Oooh! Not a fan of curry myself but I will see if my gardener is.
>>> This recipe does seem right up his alley. Would you believe that he
>>> went through some of my cookbooks last night? I was getting rid of
>>> some and he took one! It was more of a raw food book but at least I
>>> am getting a better handle on what he likes to eat.

>> Curry is one of those acquired tastes.
>>
>> I think your gardener has taste!
>>
>> ;-)

> Probably.

Definitely.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 7:02:40 PM UTC-10, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:

> Curry is one of those acquired tastes.
>
> I think your gardener has taste!
>
> ;-)

Hawaiian curry stew has been popular over here since I was a kid. Over the last 50 years or so, other kinds of curry has gotten popular. Since the 70's Japanese, East Indian, Vietnamese, and Thai, curries have found their place in our local cuisine. My son used to go out with his friends to a Japanese curry house restaurant to eat. It used to be a thing that kids do. It's a heck of a place for curry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Casa estilo antiguo" > wrote in message
news
> On 1/7/2018 10:12 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Casa estilo antiguo" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> Tapioca!

>> Really?

> You would be amazed!
>
> Arrowroot too.
>
> http://www.fundies.com.au/health-ene...tapioca-flours
>
> https://agirlworthsaving.net/2015/02...s-tapioca.html
>
> ...heh...

I have used both as thickeners

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 3:01:20 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> There is a video going around FB right now where a guy gives a spiel
>> about
>> how some people will just never like you because you don't fit into their
>> ideal of preconceived notions. And that's fine with me. I'd rather not
>> follow the crowd.

> This is one crowd you don't ever want to follow. You have a kind heart and
> these sharks will zero in on and attack any human weakness they can smell.
> That's seriously messed up.
>
> Here's what my wife and I had for lunch. Steak and lobster.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...LIiIqWzSX7Fv7n

Pretty sure the gardener would like that!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-01-07 9:14 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> I like croquettes. If I couldn't have eggs, I'd want to investigate
>> eggless croquettes too. "Dur".

> In Julie's position, I would have googled "vegan croquettes baked" and
> used my judgment as to what looked promising.

That is not her style.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/7/2018 10:46 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 7:02:40 PM UTC-10, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:
>>

>> Curry is one of those acquired tastes.
>>
>> I think your gardener has taste!
>>
>> ;-)

> Hawaiian curry stew has been popular over here since I was a kid. Over the last 50 years or so, other kinds of curry has gotten popular. Since the 70's Japanese, East Indian, Vietnamese, and Thai, curries have found their place in our local cuisine. My son used to go out with his friends to a Japanese curry house restaurant to eat. It used to be a thing that kids do. It's a heck of a place for curry.

One of the things we enjoy is curry oxtail stew. The extra depth of
flavor really makes the oxtails and pearl onions sing!

It's still very beefy, but more finished as a flavor to my tastes. And
the gelatin from those oxtails - wow.

Are oxtails big on your rock?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-01-07 8:25 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Jan 2018 16:11:48 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>> Why don't you tell me what else works as a binder because I don't know.
>> But... If it did work as a binder, then it would be an egg substitute. No?

> You're twisting in the wind Julie, twisting in the wind. I won't play
> that game with you.

I gave up playing her idiotic ask advice and shoot down the answers game
a long time ago. I am surprised that there are still people here who
continue to fall for it. This thread went on long enough that I finally
Googled it and there were a number of viable alternatives to eggs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/7/2018 11:03 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Casa estilo antiguo" > wrote in message
> news
>> On 1/7/2018 10:12 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Really?

>> You would be amazed!
>>
>> Arrowroot too.
>>
>> http://www.fundies.com.au/health-ene...tapioca-flours
>>
>> https://agirlworthsaving.net/2015/02...s-tapioca.html
>>
>> ...heh...

> I have used both as thickeners

There ya go - your on your way!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/7/2018 11:17 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>> On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 3:01:20 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> There is a video going around FB right now where a guy gives a spiel
>>> about
>>> how some people will just never like you because you don't fit into
>>> their
>>> ideal of preconceived notions. And that's fine with me. I'd rather not
>>> follow the crowd.

>> This is one crowd you don't ever want to follow. You have a kind heart
>> and these sharks will zero in on and attack any human weakness they
>> can smell. That's seriously messed up.
>>
>> Here's what my wife and I had for lunch. Steak and lobster.
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...LIiIqWzSX7Fv7n
>>

> Pretty sure the gardener would like that!

Pretty sure we all would!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> This thread went on long enough that I finally
> Googled it and there were a number of viable alternatives to eggs.

(eggs for binders)

On the organic and survival note, I'll bet you that slugs are a
great binder. Ever step on one at night barefoot and see how hard
it is to scrub off? ;-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/8/2018 9:26 AM, Gary wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> This thread went on long enough that I finally
>> Googled it and there were a number of viable alternatives to eggs.

> (eggs for binders)
>
> On the organic and survival note, I'll bet you that slugs are a
> great binder. Ever step on one at night barefoot and see how hard
> it is to scrub off? ;-D

Is there any more sickening pleasure than salting slugs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K69Us8fuGJU

:-/

REC salmon croquettes piedmont General Cooking 5 13-05-2010 04:45 PM
Chicken Croquettes?? Jeanne Burton General Cooking 12 07-01-2010 08:18 PM
Egg Croquettes kuyabayu Recipes 1 07-07-2009 06:27 PM
Ham Croquettes Chef R W Miller Recipes (moderated) 0 28-04-2007 04:04 PM