Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Croquettes with no egg?

On 1/10/2018 6:39 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 11:49:28 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> I'm just really surprised. I always thought of Hawaii as part of the
>> United States but apparently not.
>> Janet US

> Culturally, we're quite different from most of the mainland. We don't have to act like white folk to move throughout the day. Nobody is going to hassle you for eating rice or using chopsticks with your meal. That is a very good thing.
>
> I always thought of Puerto Rico as part of the United States but apparently not.*
>
> *You might think that making catty, snide, and snooty, remarks is the height of witticism. It is not.

I'm slightly surprised as she generally has a more moderate to liberal
reaction.

Not sure where this comes from.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 4:00:18 PM UTC-10, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:
> On 1/10/2018 6:08 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> >> I'm not at all sure that's necessary or even beneficial, it's like
> >> mixing so much paint you end up with a mud slurry.
> >>
> >> Think of it in animal terms - if every dog is a mutt there are defacto
> >> no more bird dogs or rat terriers.
> >>
> >> That would be a great loss of diversity.

> >> Not round here it doesn't!

> > You sound like a multicultural kind of guy.

> That's our state - Native American, Lationo, Anglo, some African
> American and pan-Asian.
>
> It works too, seriously.
>
> This is a place where we have a far bigger common enemy than any of us
> ethnically or our skin coloration - opiods.
>

> > That's cool but it seems that the rfc haole enclave is pitching a hissy fit over this oxtail "incident."

> Loving the classic Western "lynch mob/bully" idiom there, tee hee...
>
> > My mind boggles at the pettiness of these small minded individuals. In the end, you just gotta chuckle.
> >

> My mind boggles, but like elastic that's been stretched too many times
> it never comes all the way back together...
>
> %-|

I would like the people you live with. Too many white people in one place makes me nervous. You never know what they got up their sleeves. They might be planning to steal your land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfAiB2ZoRhM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 16:12:44 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:

> cattle >>>> have tails, chicken have feet, etc. Sweetbreads was one
> of my >>>> favorites as a child. I ate pickled pigs feet along with
> my mom >>>> (she loved them) We ate liver. It is only in recent
> times that >>>> people decided they should only eat the big muscle
> parts. I hate >>>> it when sausage advertises that it is made
> solely with some of the >>>> big muscle parts of the animal. We
> love bacon, sausage and lunch >>>> meats that were originally devised
> to utilize lesser parts of an >>>> animal. If you are going to kill
> an animal for food, you'd better >>>> be willing to eat the whole
> darn thing. End of sermon >>>> Janet US

> there, I >>> remain unconvinced.
> >>
> >> You have to be an actual COOK to think of it. That is the same

> where >> you are.
> >>

> > He needs to be an actual cook who knows what people who live on the
> > mainland cook.
> >
> > Jill

> I'm just really surprised. I always thought of Hawaii as part of the
> United States but apparently not.
> Janet US

It is, but it's unique as well. It's the only place where there is no
'majority' race/ethnic for example. I don't have the actual stats in
frnt of me but it's something like 20% Chinese, 20% Japanese, 15% other
islanders, and 20% mixed white and African American. The remaining 5%
are at least partly Native Hawaiian. Something close to that if not
quite right.

Due to the distance, they have some differences but yes, they are all
American. The food is a melting pot of mixes just like the Continental
USA, but with a different melting pot mix used.

Rice cake soup probably makes no sense to you due to this. Don't worry,
they make cheeseburgers too!
Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 11:49:28 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B.
> wrote:
> >
> > I'm just really surprised. I always thought of Hawaii as part of
> > the United States but apparently not.
> > Janet US

> Culturally, we're quite different from most of the mainland. We don't
> have to act like white folk to move throughout the day. Nobody is
> going to hassle you for eating rice or using chopsticks with your
> meal. That is a very good thing.
>
> I always thought of Puerto Rico as part of the United States but
> apparently not.*
>
> *You might think that making catty, snide, and snooty, remarks is the
> height of witticism. It is not.

Might want to back off on the 'white folk' as it isnt coming over right
the way you mean it.

For you it's a group term for mainland. Others who do not get that,
think you are literally being racist.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 4:40:20 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:

> Might want to back off on the 'white folk' as it isnt coming over right
> the way you mean it.
>
> For you it's a group term for mainland. Others who do not get that,
> think you are literally being racist.

I'm not particularly concerned if people see me as racist. Most of the US is racist. What makes me so special?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 18:29:21 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2018-01-10 1:47 PM, Bruce wrote:
>
>>> dsi1 seems to have a blind spot about the sheer diversity of mainland
>>> Americans. It's only to be expected, given the predominance of
>>> Asians where he lives.

>> Give the man a break. At least he knows everything about the future.

>There has been a definite change in the complexion of North America. We
>not only have increasing numbers of people of various races, but there
>are ever increasing incidence of multiracial people. When I went to San
>Francisco a couple years ago I expected to see lot of Asian, but what
>surprised me was that there were so many biracial Asians <??>.....
>people with Asian and one more other characteristics.
>
>Not a bad thing.... just an observation.

Maybe in the future there won't be any whites and blacks anymore.
Everybody will be soupy coloured.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 17:08:28 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 11:36:16 AM UTC-10, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:

>> > There's a lot of diversity on the mainland. What most of all ya'alls haven't done is integrated the ways of the different cultures into a unified hybrid culture.

>> I'm not at all sure that's necessary or even beneficial, it's like
>> mixing so much paint you end up with a mud slurry.
>>
>> Think of it in animal terms - if every dog is a mutt there are defacto
>> no more bird dogs or rat terriers.
>>
>> That would be a great loss of diversity.
>>
>> > The younger generation will probably make a true multicultural United States a reality in the future but I've been to the mainland and I see how minorities are treated. It sucks.
>> >

>> Not round here it doesn't!

>You sound like a multicultural kind of guy. That's cool but it seems that the rfc haole enclave is pitching a hissy fit over this oxtail "incident." My mind boggles at the pettiness of these small minded individuals. In the end, you just gotta chuckle.

But how can you chuckle after you just lost face?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 18:26:25 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 4:00:18 PM UTC-10, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:

>> > You sound like a multicultural kind of guy.

>> That's our state - Native American, Lationo, Anglo, some African
>> American and pan-Asian.
>>
>> It works too, seriously.
>>
>> This is a place where we have a far bigger common enemy than any of us
>> ethnically or our skin coloration - opiods.
>>

>> > That's cool but it seems that the rfc haole enclave is pitching a hissy fit over this oxtail "incident."

>> Loving the classic Western "lynch mob/bully" idiom there, tee hee...
>>
>> > My mind boggles at the pettiness of these small minded individuals. In the end, you just gotta chuckle.
>> >

>> My mind boggles, but like elastic that's been stretched too many times
>> it never comes all the way back together...
>>
>> %-|

>I would like the people you live with. Too many white people in one place makes me nervous. You never know what they got up their sleeves. They might be planning to steal your land.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfAiB2ZoRhM

Imagine saying "Too many black people in one place makes me nervous."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 20:40:12 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>dsi1 wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 11:49:28 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B.
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > I'm just really surprised. I always thought of Hawaii as part of
>> > the United States but apparently not.
>> > Janet US

>> Culturally, we're quite different from most of the mainland. We don't
>> have to act like white folk to move throughout the day. Nobody is
>> going to hassle you for eating rice or using chopsticks with your
>> meal. That is a very good thing.
>>
>> I always thought of Puerto Rico as part of the United States but
>> apparently not.*
>>
>> *You might think that making catty, snide, and snooty, remarks is the
>> height of witticism. It is not.

>Might want to back off on the 'white folk' as it isnt coming over right
>the way you mean it.
>
>For you it's a group term for mainland. Others who do not get that,
>think you are literally being racist.

He is, silly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 4:37:01 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:

> It is, but it's unique as well. It's the only place where there is no
> 'majority' race/ethnic for example. I don't have the actual stats in
> frnt of me but it's something like 20% Chinese, 20% Japanese, 15% other
> islanders, and 20% mixed white and African American. The remaining 5%
> are at least partly Native Hawaiian. Something close to that if not
> quite right.
>
> Due to the distance, they have some differences but yes, they are all
> American. The food is a melting pot of mixes just like the Continental
> USA, but with a different melting pot mix used.
>
> Rice cake soup probably makes no sense to you due to this. Don't worry,
> they make cheeseburgers too!
> Carol

Near as I can tell, most of the folks on rfc have no idea about what Hawaiian food is. Either that or they're acting dumb. The competent Hawaiian cook has to be familiar with American food, Hawaiian food, Samoan food, and Japanese, Okinawan, Filipino, Chinese, and Korean foods. Some of our favorite dishes originate from Puerto Rico and Portugal and, to a lesser extent, Thailand, and Vietnam.

Some people on this newsgroup act like all we eat is Spam and poi. That may be true for some Hawaiians but I got too much going on to be eating just S & P. If people knew anything about taro and poi, they would be in awe of this plant. The ancient Hawaiians could pound the cooked taro corm and produce a nutritious food that would not spoil and could sustain life for months on long voyages across the Pacific. Taro is one of the world's most perfect foods. On this group, it's mostly one big joke.

The reality is that this is not a real foodie group. Mostly, it's a group that disrespects and spreads fear about foods - especially the foods of other cultures.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 17:39:08 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 11:49:28 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> I'm just really surprised. I always thought of Hawaii as part of the
>> United States but apparently not.
>> Janet US

>Culturally, we're quite different from most of the mainland. We don't have to act like white folk to move throughout the day. Nobody is going to hassle you for eating rice or using chopsticks with your meal. That is a very good thing.
>
>I always thought of Puerto Rico as part of the United States but apparently not.*
>
>*You might think that making catty, snide, and snooty, remarks is the height of witticism. It is not.

I wasn't trying to be witty. you are coming across as being very
resentful of 'Americans' who you view as white folks. you are quite
racist. Do all native Hawaiians feel resentful of people on the
mainland?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 21:41:59 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 17:39:08 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
>wrote:
>
>>On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 11:49:28 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm just really surprised. I always thought of Hawaii as part of the
>>> United States but apparently not.
>>> Janet US

>>Culturally, we're quite different from most of the mainland. We don't have to act like white folk to move throughout the day. Nobody is going to hassle you for eating rice or using chopsticks with your meal. That is a very good thing.
>>
>>I always thought of Puerto Rico as part of the United States but apparently not.*
>>
>>*You might think that making catty, snide, and snooty, remarks is the height of witticism. It is not.

>I wasn't trying to be witty. you are coming across as being very
>resentful of 'Americans' who you view as white folks. you are quite
>racist. Do all native Hawaiians feel resentful of people on the
>mainland?

I've been saying this for years about dsi1. It's about time the masses
picked up on it too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 6:42:06 PM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> I wasn't trying to be witty. you are coming across as being very
> resentful of 'Americans' who you view as white folks. you are quite
> racist. Do all native Hawaiians feel resentful of people on the
> mainland?

You come across as being quite racist so I guess we're even. Some Hawaiians do feel resentful of the haoles. Who can blame them? You'd be ****ed too if some foreigners stole your land. My wife, a haole born in Montana, is resentful of some mainland haoles. The way they treated her mom, a Korean, still gives her great pain. Yoose got a lot of nerve acting holier than thou. I have seen with my own eyes that yoose guys are still fighting the Civil War. That's backwards, in my awesome opinion. The way yoose guys want to push people out of this country just makes me sick. That's all I have to say about that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/10/2018 7:26 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 4:00:18 PM UTC-10, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:

>>> You sound like a multicultural kind of guy.

>> That's our state - Native American, Lationo, Anglo, some African
>> American and pan-Asian.
>>
>> It works too, seriously.
>>
>> This is a place where we have a far bigger common enemy than any of us
>> ethnically or our skin coloration - opiods.
>>

>>> That's cool but it seems that the rfc haole enclave is pitching a hissy fit over this oxtail "incident."

>> Loving the classic Western "lynch mob/bully" idiom there, tee hee...
>>
>>> My mind boggles at the pettiness of these small minded individuals. In the end, you just gotta chuckle.
>>>

>> My mind boggles, but like elastic that's been stretched too many times
>> it never comes all the way back together...
>>
>> %-|

> I would like the people you live with. Too many white people in one place makes me nervous. You never know what they got up their sleeves. They might be planning to steal your land.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfAiB2ZoRhM

I like the dynamic balance, not tension...but balance.

That's a fine distinction and one no one talks of or mentions it at all,
it just is.

I fear if we start to analyze ourselves we fall apart.

And we have this friend-ness even in places mostly Latino and also
mostly rancher.

My thesis is a common enemy made us friends - a killing grade desert.

You have one of those, it also surrounds you.

Funny thing how a short leash makes all good dogs behave.

:-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/10/2018 7:51 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 4:40:20 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
>>
>> Might want to back off on the 'white folk' as it isnt coming over right
>> the way you mean it.
>>
>> For you it's a group term for mainland. Others who do not get that,
>> think you are literally being racist.

> I'm not particularly concerned if people see me as racist. Most of the US is racist. What makes me so special?

3 words...

sense of humor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/10/2018 8:27 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 17:08:28 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
> wrote:

>>> I'm not at all sure that's necessary or even beneficial, it's like
>>> mixing so much paint you end up with a mud slurry.
>>>
>>> Think of it in animal terms - if every dog is a mutt there are defacto
>>> no more bird dogs or rat terriers.
>>>
>>> That would be a great loss of diversity.

>>> Not round here it doesn't!

>> You sound like a multicultural kind of guy. That's cool but it seems that the rfc haole enclave is pitching a hissy fit over this oxtail "incident." My mind boggles at the pettiness of these small minded individuals. In the end, you just gotta chuckle.

> But how can you chuckle after you just lost face?

Whose face do you measure he lost?

Your'n?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/10/2018 8:28 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 20:40:12 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>> dsi1 wrote:

>>> Culturally, we're quite different from most of the mainland. We don't
>>> have to act like white folk to move throughout the day. Nobody is
>>> going to hassle you for eating rice or using chopsticks with your
>>> meal. That is a very good thing.
>>>
>>> I always thought of Puerto Rico as part of the United States but
>>> apparently not.*
>>>
>>> *You might think that making catty, snide, and snooty, remarks is the
>>> height of witticism. It is not.

>> Might want to back off on the 'white folk' as it isnt coming over right
>> the way you mean it.
>>
>> For you it's a group term for mainland. Others who do not get that,
>> think you are literally being racist.

> He is, silly.

You truly suck at every human level possible.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/10/2018 9:10 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> The reality is that this is not a real foodie group. Mostly, it's a group that disrespects and spreads fear about foods - especially the foods of other cultures.

This is cynical /and/ also TRUE!

This group needs a real ego high colonic and a taste of not being in a
position to make judgments for others.

Oh.

Well that shuts this for good then.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/10/2018 9:41 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 17:39:08 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 11:49:28 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm just really surprised. I always thought of Hawaii as part of the
>>> United States but apparently not.
>>> Janet US

>> Culturally, we're quite different from most of the mainland. We don't have to act like white folk to move throughout the day. Nobody is going to hassle you for eating rice or using chopsticks with your meal. That is a very good thing.
>>
>> I always thought of Puerto Rico as part of the United States but apparently not.*
>>
>> *You might think that making catty, snide, and snooty, remarks is the height of witticism. It is not.

> I wasn't trying to be witty. you are coming across as being very
> resentful of 'Americans' who you view as white folks. you are quite
> racist. Do all native Hawaiians feel resentful of people on the
> mainland?

Do you know what the history of that rock is?

Not so white positive...

Not unlike your own state or mine.

Here the native Spanish are more reviled.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/10/2018 9:56 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 21:41:59 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 17:39:08 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
>> wrote:

>>> Culturally, we're quite different from most of the mainland. We don't have to act like white folk to move throughout the day. Nobody is going to hassle you for eating rice or using chopsticks with your meal. That is a very good thing.
>>>
>>> I always thought of Puerto Rico as part of the United States but apparently not.*
>>>
>>> *You might think that making catty, snide, and snooty, remarks is the height of witticism. It is not.

>> I wasn't trying to be witty. you are coming across as being very
>> resentful of 'Americans' who you view as white folks. you are quite
>> racist. Do all native Hawaiians feel resentful of people on the
>> mainland?

> I've been saying this for years about dsi1. It's about time the masses
> picked up on it too.

YOU are a shit stirrer and a blatant one to!

YOU **** OFF NOW!

Your soul is so empty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/10/2018 10:01 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 6:42:06 PM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> I wasn't trying to be witty. you are coming across as being very
>> resentful of 'Americans' who you view as white folks. you are quite
>> racist. Do all native Hawaiians feel resentful of people on the
>> mainland?

> You come across as being quite racist so I guess we're even. Some Hawaiians do feel resentful of the haoles. Who can blame them? You'd be ****ed too if some foreigners stole your land. My wife, a haole born in Montana, is resentful of some mainland haoles. The way they treated her mom, a Korean, still gives her great pain. Yoose got a lot of nerve acting holier than thou. I have seen with my own eyes that yoose guys are still fighting the Civil War. That's backwards, in my awesome opinion. The way yoose guys want to push people out of this country just makes me sick. That's all I have to say about that.

Well this sucks, on all levels.

We can't take everyone and their family in, the economic numbers fail.

And we can't kill our remnant neonazis, the rule of law prevails.

But we can adapt and grow and learn and accept.

That works.

But the moving hand has indelibly writ and then moved on.

Ancestral mistakes are chasms to be back-filled and trod on to a new path.

If we look back salt is our demise.

Onward.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 7:13:12 PM UTC-10, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:

> Whose face do you measure he lost?
>
> Your'n?

Westerners have some problem with the Asian concept of loss of face. Loss of face has nothing to do with the individual. To save face means to avoid making others feel uncomfortable or look bad. This means you need at least two people involved and usually, it's several or many more people. This is pretty much the opposite of the American style zero sum model of interaction..
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/10/2018 10:29 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 7:13:12 PM UTC-10, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:
>>

>> Whose face do you measure he lost?
>>
>> Your'n?

> Westerners have some problem with the Asian concept of loss of face. Loss of face has nothing to do with the individual. To save face means to avoid making others feel uncomfortable or look bad. This means you need at least two people involved and usually, it's several or many more people. This is pretty much the opposite of the American style zero sum model of interaction.

Our social equation lacks an escape hatch.

Not so smart.

Now our tech reflects an embellishes this.

Would you end this if you were AI?

I would.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
dsi1 > wrote:

> Please inform your king of our arrival in about 2 months. No need to make a
> big deal about it. A small, simple, luau for around 500 Hawaiians would be fine.

There's no need to inform him. If you arrive in The People's Republic
of California, you will be given much weed on the shore (first contact
is free) and become too stoned to move after a mile. You will be
embraced, absorbed, your possessions seized, and you will be led to
believe that you won.

[ObFood] I'm using my oven's self-clean feature tonight. Two years
worth of incinerating food doesn't smell too good all at once.
Meh...kinda about food.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 10:26:59 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>>On 2018-01-09 10:15 PM, cshenk wrote:
>>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> I learned how to use them so early, I only recall my brother and sister
>>> laughing with our Mom as we ate the rare takeout and part of the treat,
>>> was to eat with them. Mom suspended her normal 'polite eating' rules
>>> and we were to put our faces over our plates so any food dropped hit
>>> there to be gathererd back in next try. Good chance I was 3-4 then.
>>>
>>> The fact that I many decades later moved to asia for a bit is
>>> irrelevant. I learned this skill as a very young child.
>>>
>>> I have always looked at it as pure fun! Later, I learned it can be
>>> more efficient as well with some foods and that using the longer ones
>>> as tongs in cooking works very well.

>>I still think it peculiar the white people use chopsticks only when
>>eating Chinese and a couple other Asian foods. You see them trying to
>>eat steamed or fried rice with chop sticks, but not risotto.
>>>

> good info! I hadn't realized that black people never used chopsticks
> when eating Chinese food.

They don't eat Chinese food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 7:33:18 PM UTC-10, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:

> Our social equation lacks an escape hatch.
>
> Not so smart.
>
> Now our tech reflects an embellishes this.
>
> Would you end this if you were AI?
>
> I would.

They'll just quantify the human species as an equation. If the sum is greater than pi or some other suitable number, we live. Otherwise, it's curtains for us.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 9:22:28 PM UTC-10, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> There's no need to inform him. If you arrive in The People's Republic
> of California, you will be given much weed on the shore (first contact
> is free) and become too stoned to move after a mile. You will be
> embraced, absorbed, your possessions seized, and you will be led to
> believe that you won.
>
> [ObFood] I'm using my oven's self-clean feature tonight. Two years
> worth of incinerating food doesn't smell too good all at once.
> Meh...kinda about food.
>
> leo

Forget those cow tails! Just load the weed on the canoes and we'll be on our way. We'll leave you all the poi you can eat! If history has taught us anything, it'll be about a pound...

Good luck with the oven cleaning. The first and only time I used that cycle, it killed my oven's temperature sensor. This is what I get for buying expensive Korean junk!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Donnerstag, 11. Januar 2018 09:55:13 UTC+1 schrieb dsi1:
> On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 9:22:28 PM UTC-10, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> >
> > There's no need to inform him. If you arrive in The People's Republic
> > of California, you will be given much weed on the shore (first contact
> > is free) and become too stoned to move after a mile. You will be
> > embraced, absorbed, your possessions seized, and you will be led to
> > believe that you won.
> >
> > [ObFood] I'm using my oven's self-clean feature tonight. Two years
> > worth of incinerating food doesn't smell too good all at once.
> > Meh...kinda about food.
> >
> > leo

> Forget those cow tails! Just load the weed on the canoes and we'll be
> on our way. We'll leave you all the poi you can eat! If history has
> taught us anything, it'll be about a pound...

Careful - you may need it after you've consumed the weed...

> Good luck with the oven cleaning. The first and only time I used that
> cycle, it killed my oven's temperature sensor. This is what I get
> for buying expensive Korean junk!

Ovens still are not standard in Korean households, the manufacturers just
don't have (or didn't; how old is your oven?) enough experience yet.
The best Korean teacher we had to learn the language brought a German
stove with her when she returned to Korea.

Bye, Sanne.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 11:07:29 PM UTC-10, sanne wrote:

> Ovens still are not standard in Korean households, the manufacturers just
> don't have (or didn't; how old is your oven?) enough experience yet.
> The best Korean teacher we had to learn the language brought a German
> stove with her when she returned to Korea.
>
> Bye, Sanne.

I guess that means that the Koreans have very small apartments like the Japanese? They don't have much in the way of ovens either. What they do have is small broilers for grilling fish. I wish I had one of those in my oven.

Oddly enough, one of Hawaii's most beloved singers was born and raised in Germany. When she arrived here in 1980, she was determined to learn the language and culture. That she did. She has been a associate professor of Hawaiian languages at the University of Hawaii and an award winning singer. It's a most unlikely story. That's the way it is on this tiny rock. If you embrace the culture, you will be accepted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MKqcAkZKgw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Donnerstag, 11. Januar 2018 10:52:44 UTC+1 schrieb dsi1:
> On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 11:07:29 PM UTC-10, sanne wrote:
> >
> > Ovens still are not standard in Korean households, the manufacturers just
> > don't have (or didn't; how old is your oven?) enough experience yet.
> > The best Korean teacher we had to learn the language brought a German
> > stove with her when she returned to Korea.
> >
> > Bye, Sanne.

> I guess that means that the Koreans have very small apartments like the
> Japanese? They don't have much in the way of ovens either. What they do
> have is small broilers for grilling fish. I wish I had one of those in
> my oven.

Most places are small, but they do have ondol or ondol mats for
sleeping - floor heating. And they have small gas cookers with gas-cans.
Those are really great; I have two of them but mostly use them when
making Feuerzangenbowle or barbecue at the table.
And rice cookers that are even used for baking cheesecake. I do much of my
cooking in one of those (a 10-cup-version) - that one doesn't talk or has
a pressure mode (we have one of the latter, too - but it's tiny; I prefer
my large pressure-cooker), but it works like a slow cooker in some aspects.
Only cook on high until its content tend to burn, then it switches to
"keep warm" - ideal for sugo, porkolt, risotto and the like. And even rice...
;-)

> Oddly enough, one of Hawaii's most beloved singers was born and raised
> in Germany. When she arrived here in 1980, she was determined to learn
> the language and culture. That she did. She has been a associate
> professor of Hawaiian languages at the University of Hawaii and an
> award winning singer. It's a most unlikely story. That's the way it
> is on this tiny rock. If you embrace the culture, you will be accepted.

Same in Korea - I don't speak much Korean (my husband is much better at it),
but we share the interest in Korean culture and manners - one of the first
books we purchased when we spent our first vacation there was "Ugly
Americans - Ugly Koreans", a bilingual book pointing out the differences
in behavior that are unnerving or seem rude even to the other culture.
This small book was outdated in some aspects even back then - but only in
Seoul among younger people; in the country, smaller cities and towns, even
in Busan and among elder people, our respect for Korean manners is much
appreciated. Same with our interest in culture and language - a few words,
and everybody praises your knowledge of the language...
We always ate where the Koreans ate; look for the at lunchtime crowded
places and eat there afterwards or next time before rush-hour.
Often, we were the only westerners who ever had showed up there -
"You American?" - "No, I'm German." (in Korean, of course... ;-))
We never stayed at fancy hotels - the motels were clean, the staff
friendly, we had bathrooms with at least showers to our own, fridge,
hot-and-cold water dispensers, ac, TV,... for around 30$ for 2...

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MKqcAkZKgw

But I didn't see her talk, she always had that guitar in her hands!

Bye, Sanne.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 2:08:41 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 1:30:40 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > dsi1 seems to have a blind spot about the sheer diversity of mainland
> > Americans. It's only to be expected, given the predominance of
> > Asians where he lives.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> There's a lot of diversity on the mainland. What most of all ya'alls haven't done is integrated the ways of the different cultures into a unified hybrid culture. The younger generation will probably make a true multicultural United States a reality in the future but I've been to the mainland and I see how minorities are treated. It sucks.

I don't want a unified hybrid culture. I'd rather have a stew than a
puree. It's more interesting.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 9:26:30 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 4:00:18 PM UTC-10, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:

> > > You sound like a multicultural kind of guy.

> > That's our state - Native American, Lationo, Anglo, some African
> > American and pan-Asian.
> >
> > It works too, seriously.
> >
> > This is a place where we have a far bigger common enemy than any of us
> > ethnically or our skin coloration - opiods.
> >

> > > That's cool but it seems that the rfc haole enclave is pitching a hissy fit over this oxtail "incident."

> > Loving the classic Western "lynch mob/bully" idiom there, tee hee...
> >
> > > My mind boggles at the pettiness of these small minded individuals. In the end, you just gotta chuckle.
> > >

> > My mind boggles, but like elastic that's been stretched too many times
> > it never comes all the way back together...
> >
> > %-|

> I would like the people you live with. Too many white people in one place makes me nervous. You never know what they got up their sleeves. They might be planning to steal your land.

Oh, look. You don't have to be white to be racist.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 11, 2018 at 12:01:54 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 6:42:06 PM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >
> > I wasn't trying to be witty. you are coming across as being very
> > resentful of 'Americans' who you view as white folks. you are quite
> > racist. Do all native Hawaiians feel resentful of people on the
> > mainland?

> You come across as being quite racist so I guess we're even. Some Hawaiians do feel resentful of the haoles. Who can blame them? You'd be ****ed too if some foreigners stole your land. My wife, a haole born in Montana, is resentful of some mainland haoles. The way they treated her mom, a Korean, still gives her great pain. Yoose got a lot of nerve acting holier than thou.. I have seen with my own eyes that yoose guys are still fighting the Civil War.

Where were you on the mainland when you saw this?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2018 6:50 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> I would like the people you live with. Too many white people in one place makes me nervous. You never know what they got up their sleeves. They might be planning to steal your land.

> Oh, look. You don't have to be white to be racist.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

And you don't have to be Native American to have your land taken over by
the US government.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Jan 2018 03:53:49 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Thursday, January 11, 2018 at 12:01:54 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 6:42:06 PM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> >
>> > I wasn't trying to be witty. you are coming across as being very
>> > resentful of 'Americans' who you view as white folks. you are quite
>> > racist. Do all native Hawaiians feel resentful of people on the
>> > mainland?

>> You come across as being quite racist so I guess we're even. Some Hawaiians do feel resentful of the haoles. Who can blame them? You'd be ****ed too if some foreigners stole your land. My wife, a haole born in Montana, is resentful of some mainland haoles. The way they treated her mom, a Korean, still gives her great pain. Yoose got a lot of nerve acting holier than thou. I have seen with my own eyes that yoose guys are still fighting the Civil War.

>Where were you on the mainland when you saw this?
>
>Cindy Hamilton

The little POS has probably never set foot on the US mainland. In all
my years I've not encountered anyone so racist and ignorant as dsi1,
the little POS doesn't know race from ethnicity, he hates everyone.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/10/2018 6:42 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 11:20:06 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 5:18:34 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
>>
>>> There are few who can transition that. It;s not their fault no more
>>> than you being not sure of mainland various cookery that you have not
>>> really seen.

>> No one is to blame for being ignorant about other cultures. My assumption was that oxtail soup is not that easy to find in restaurants on the mainland. Let's just say that it "depends" and leave it at that. I was shocked to find that that you can't get fruit punch at McDonald's nor can cake noodle be found at Chinese restaurants on the mainland.

> Lots of things are not easy to find in restaurants. Either there's insufficient
> demand for them or they are too expensive to make (or both). It's foolish to
> judge a cuisine by what is available in restaurants.

(snippage)
If you don't cook, restaurants are about the only thing you have to go
by. I get the distinct impression dsi1 doesn't cook.

If nothing else, you can learn a lot about different cultures just by
flipping through a few cook books.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I used to eat scrambled eggs with chopsticks.

lol! You "used to"
You learned better, didn't you?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I get the distinct impression dsi1 doesn't cook.

From what I've read, Dsi1 is pretty much the most racist person
here on RFC. Go back and read the last 20-30 posts from him. He
tries to come across as the happy-go-lucky cool kid but it's not
working. He is always cutting down "others" than from his
"rock." Say something otherwise to him and he turns quite mean
and rude, fairly often lately too. Not the friendliest person on
the Rock, imo.

Sorry Dsil but this the impression you give me. Now you can toss
out mean things about me. It's only fair to do and you're good at
it.

REC salmon croquettes piedmont General Cooking 5 13-05-2010 04:45 PM
Chicken Croquettes?? Jeanne Burton General Cooking 12 07-01-2010 07:18 PM
Egg Croquettes kuyabayu Recipes 1 07-07-2009 06:27 PM
Ham Croquettes Chef R W Miller Recipes (moderated) 0 28-04-2007 04:04 PM