Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Croquettes with no egg?

On Thu, 11 Jan 2018 18:55:17 -0500, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 1/11/2018 6:28 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 Jan 2018 16:47:17 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>>> If you keep to the simple definition, it's basically a beef bull or cow
>>> that's been trained to work.

>> I guess the "beef bull" is the equivalent of the "pork pig" and the
>> "mutton sheep".
>>

>Not really. Cattle are classified as 'beef cattle' or 'dairy cattle'.

Well, we have wild pigs in Australia and they're definitely not pork
pigs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Jan 2018 19:01:03 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2018-01-11 6:55 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
>>>
>>> I guess the "beef bull" is the equivalent of the "pork pig" and the
>>> "mutton sheep".
>>>

>> Not really. Cattle are classified as 'beef cattle' or 'dairy cattle'.
>>

>True. I know a few people around here who call their animals "beef".

People also call a cow a "beast" here. Could be Australian, but it's
probably originally UK English, like many old school Australian
expressions.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Casa estilo antiguo" > wrote in message
news
> On 1/11/2018 12:39 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
>>> On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 10:26:59 -0500, Dave Smith

>>> good info! I hadn't realized that black people never used chopsticks
>>> when eating Chinese food.

>> They don't eat Chinese food.

> HUH?!?!?!

That was a big old dose of smart ass. That's what that was.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> I get the distinct impression dsi1 doesn't cook.

> From what I've read, Dsi1 is pretty much the most racist person
> here on RFC. Go back and read the last 20-30 posts from him. He
> tries to come across as the happy-go-lucky cool kid but it's not
> working. He is always cutting down "others" than from his
> "rock." Say something otherwise to him and he turns quite mean
> and rude, fairly often lately too. Not the friendliest person on
> the Rock, imo.
>
> Sorry Dsil but this the impression you give me. Now you can toss
> out mean things about me. It's only fair to do and you're good at
> it.

I don't agree in terms of him. I do agree that it's not the friendliest rock
though. People are different there just as they can be in Alaska. They are
just to isolated from the mainland to be like us over here. Food can be
different too. That's not their fault. Just the way it is in terms of food.
The superior attitude though... Not saying that I think he has it. I don't
think he does. And some people I know who are from Hawaii don't act
superior, but they also can't relate to some of the commonly eaten foods
here. I do know people who had to live there, at least temporarily and did
report that they didn't feel very welcome.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2018 8:31 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Casa estilo antiguo" > wrote in message
> news

>>> They don't eat Chinese food.

>> HUH?!?!?!
>>

> That was a big old dose of smart ass. That's what that was.

HUH??????

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" wrote in message ...

On 1/11/2018 2:28 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "S Viemeister" wrote in message ...
> On 1/11/2018 12:16 PM, Bruce wrote:
>>>>
>>> *Not* pronounced Van "Go"! :-)

>> No, preferably not And not "Gof" either.
>>

> I can only pronounce it properly when I have a bad cold...
>
> ===
>
> I've never had any problem with it, but then I can say loch properly too

Well, so can I, but van Gogh goes _far_ beyond the ch in loch!

==

I'll take your word for it but I am not aware of problems. Please tell me
you don't say 'van Go'??

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Thursday, January 11, 2018 at 12:03:40 PM UTC-10, Casa estilo antiguo
wrote:

> As with any other historical train wreck there were numerous factors in
> the derailment.
>
> Thankfully the cleanup went well, albeit it took an unreasonably long
> time.
>
> Now we're looking at secession by Cali-phonya and "slaves" have been
> replaced by "illegals" in sanctuary cities.
>
> History is a real biotch when it comes to rhyming, isn't she?
>
> %-0

I was quite shocked to see what was going on in the UK while we were there.
My second reaction was that the Brits are taking it very well, considering.
Americans would freak have a nuclear meltdown if that ever happened here.

I can't say what would happen if this migration happened on this rock. We
should import more Mexicans and Puerto Ricans over here. I'm getting tired
of eating all this Asian stuff all the time.

==

Merkel invited refugees from 'anywhere' and since the EU has 'open boarders'
.... It is one of the reasons we wanted to leave. Not because we don't like
refugees but because our country isn't big enough to cope with such a huge
influx. She wasn't the first though. One of our politicians (Blair)
invited in all and sundry. It all makes huge problems for our hospitals,
schools, housing etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 11, 2018 at 12:41:14 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>

> Naw, just a few mentioning it's here. I do NOT recall seeing it in
> Hawaii. I suspect the bone to meat ratio is too low to make it that
> popular there outside maybe Waikiki.
>
> It was actually Japan where I encountered it first as something
> commonly there at the stores. It was seasonal (culling the herd time)
> but I liked it very well.
>
> Here, I get them anytime at the local American Asian Grocery and of
> course, I have seen them elsewhere in the more upscale markets.
>
> Best simmered slow and low to make a lovely broth.

I've never made Oxtail soup nor am I a big fan but it is popular over here. My guess is that it's made and served differently than on the mainland because it's made Chinese style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPla9cgUZHs
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 11, 2018 at 12:47:26 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:

> If you keep to the simple definition, it's basically a beef bull or cow
> that's been trained to work. Some purists require they be one of 2 Bos
> breeds to truely count. REality, the 'Ox tail' in our markets is just
> the tail of a cow or a bull turned into meat. That prized piece is
> sold for far more than such a bony part would normally go for because
> it makes such a lovely broth!

Bone broth seems to be the latest thing. Oxtail prices could go through the roof!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 09:11:30 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"S Viemeister" wrote in message ...
>
>On 1/11/2018 2:28 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "S Viemeister" wrote in message ...

>>> No, preferably not And not "Gof" either.
>>>

>> I can only pronounce it properly when I have a bad cold...
>>
>> ===
>>
>> I've never had any problem with it, but then I can say loch properly too

>Well, so can I, but van Gogh goes _far_ beyond the ch in loch!
>
>==
>
>I'll take your word for it but I am not aware of problems. Please tell me
>you don't say 'van Go'??

This is the correct (northern) Dutch pronunciation:
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ceo7E1R78yo>

If that's asking too much, you're free to do your own thing

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 09:21:20 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"dsi1" wrote in message
>
>I was quite shocked to see what was going on in the UK while we were there.
>My second reaction was that the Brits are taking it very well, considering.
>Americans would freak have a nuclear meltdown if that ever happened here.
>
>I can't say what would happen if this migration happened on this rock. We
>should import more Mexicans and Puerto Ricans over here. I'm getting tired
>of eating all this Asian stuff all the time.
>
>==
>
>Merkel invited refugees from 'anywhere' and since the EU has 'open boarders'
>... It is one of the reasons we wanted to leave. Not because we don't like
>refugees but because our country isn't big enough to cope with such a huge
>influx. She wasn't the first though. One of our politicians (Blair)
>invited in all and sundry. It all makes huge problems for our hospitals,
>schools, housing etc.

Europe should have helped them closer to their own region. It's
nonsense to let big numbers of refugees into already densely populated
countries. Also, it's going to take decennia to explain to these
people that gays aren't pigs and that women who smile at you aren't
prostitutes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 21:21:01 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 09:21:20 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>>I was quite shocked to see what was going on in the UK while we were there.
>>My second reaction was that the Brits are taking it very well, considering.
>>Americans would freak have a nuclear meltdown if that ever happened here.
>>
>>I can't say what would happen if this migration happened on this rock. We
>>should import more Mexicans and Puerto Ricans over here. I'm getting tired
>>of eating all this Asian stuff all the time.
>>
>>==
>>
>>Merkel invited refugees from 'anywhere' and since the EU has 'open boarders'
>>... It is one of the reasons we wanted to leave. Not because we don't like
>>refugees but because our country isn't big enough to cope with such a huge
>>influx. She wasn't the first though. One of our politicians (Blair)
>>invited in all and sundry. It all makes huge problems for our hospitals,
>>schools, housing etc.

>Europe should have helped them closer to their own region. It's
>nonsense to let big numbers of refugees into already densely populated
>countries. Also, it's going to take decennia to explain to these
>people that gays aren't pigs and that women who smile at you aren't
>prostitutes.

Decennia? I mean decades.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 11, 2018 at 6:15:09 PM UTC-5, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:
> On 1/11/2018 3:37 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Thursday, January 11, 2018 at 12:03:40 PM UTC-10, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:
> >>
> >> As with any other historical train wreck there were numerous factors in
> >> the derailment.
> >>
> >> Thankfully the cleanup went well, albeit it took an unreasonably long time.
> >>
> >> Now we're looking at secession by Cali-phonya and "slaves" have been
> >> replaced by "illegals" in sanctuary cities.
> >>
> >> History is a real biotch when it comes to rhyming, isn't she?
> >>
> >> %-0

> > I was quite shocked to see what was going on in the UK while we were there. My second reaction was that the Brits are taking it very well, considering. Americans would freak have a nuclear meltdown if that ever happened here.
> >

> Oh it's happening, the frog is just enjoying the hot tub for a spell
> first...
>
> > I can't say what would happen if this migration happened on this rock. We should import more Mexicans and Puerto Ricans over here. I'm getting tired of eating all this Asian stuff all the time.
> >

> Culture travels best on good cuisine that much I'm willing to testify too...
>
> I haven't been able to master Ethiopian food yet, it's a leap from
> licking KFC off my fingers to downright eatin' with 'em...

You pick up the food with the bread. Just like eating a sandwich.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 11, 2018 at 6:28:31 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Jan 2018 16:47:17 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> >Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> An ox is an adult male bovine trained as a draft animal. They often
> >> are castrated. (Thank you, Wikipedia.)
> >>
> >> Given the lack of demand for wagon or plow pulling, it's not
> >> surprising we have few oxen.
> >>
> >> Cindy Hamilton

> >If you keep to the simple definition, it's basically a beef bull or cow
> >that's been trained to work.

> I guess the "beef bull" is the equivalent of the "pork pig" and the
> "mutton sheep".

There are bull elephants. It would be inappropriate to refer to them
as oxen.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2018 4:11 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "S Viemeister" wrote in message ...
> On 1/11/2018 2:28 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "S Viemeister" wrote in message ...
>>> No, preferably not And not "Gof" either.

>> I can only pronounce it properly when I have a bad cold...
>> ===
>> I've never had any problem with it, but then I can say loch properly
>> too

> Well, so can I, but van Gogh goes _far_ beyond the ch in loch!
> ==
> I'll take your word for it but I am not aware of problems. Please tell me
> you don't say 'van Go'??

Only when speaking with Americans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" wrote in message ...

On 1/12/2018 4:11 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "S Viemeister" wrote in message ...
> On 1/11/2018 2:28 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "S Viemeister" wrote in message ...
>>> No, preferably not And not "Gof" either.

>> I can only pronounce it properly when I have a bad cold...
>> ===
>> I've never had any problem with it, but then I can say loch properly
>> too

> Well, so can I, but van Gogh goes _far_ beyond the ch in loch!
> ==
> I'll take your word for it but I am not aware of problems. Please tell me
> you don't say 'van Go'??

Only when speaking with Americans.
==

lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2018 1:02 PM, l not -l wrote:
> On 11-Jan-2018, jmcquown > wrote:

>>> In this context, cake = patty. Like a cake of soap,
>>> the word "cake" can refer to any flattish mass.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> Salmon patties/cakes are so much better than mackerel. They
>> aren't
>> croquettes, though, and not eggless. I definitely add an egg
>> to the
>> mixture for my salmon patties/cakes.

> Isn't the only difference between salmon patties and croquettes
> the shape? At least the ones I have had taste pretty much the
> same, with patties being flat and croquettes round(ish). like a
> small salmon log. Though,I seem to recall croquettes
> occasionally served with a sauce/gravy poured over and have never
> had that with salmon patties.

The only croquettes I've ever seen (chicken) were sort of like a little
mound, not a cake or patty, and yes there was a sauce on top. Julie
initially said she wanted to serve tomato sauce on them.

> I once accidentally bought a can of mackerel rather than salmon
> and can't say I saw much difference in the patties vs. salmon.
> However, I admit that I am not too picky about which canned
> salmon I buy, brand or variety (coho, pink, red). Perhaps I just
> don't pick up on subtle differences that others do.

I've made both. I found the mackerel patties very bland in comparison
with salmon even though I prepared them the same way.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2018 1:27 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Jan 2018 18:02:46 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:
>

>> On 11-Jan-2018, jmcquown > wrote:
>>

>>> Salmon patties/cakes are so much better than mackerel. They
>>> aren't
>>> croquettes, though, and not eggless. I definitely add an egg
>>> to the
>>> mixture for my salmon patties/cakes.

>> Isn't the only difference between salmon patties and croquettes
>> the shape? At least the ones I have had taste pretty much the
>> same, with patties being flat and croquettes round(ish). like a
>> small salmon log. Though,I seem to recall croquettes
>> occasionally served with a sauce/gravy poured over and have never
>> had that with salmon patties.
>>
>> I once accidentally bought a can of mackerel rather than salmon
>> and can't say I saw much difference in the patties vs. salmon.
>> However, I admit that I am not too picky about which canned
>> salmon I buy, brand or variety (coho, pink, red). Perhaps I just
>> don't pick up on subtle differences that others do.

> Hmmm. Now I thought (no reason why especially) that salmon patties
> were served with some sort of cream sauce.
> Janet US

I suppose they could be. Perhaps a dill cream sauce.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "S Viemeister" wrote:
>
> Ophelia wrote:
> > I'll take your word for it but I am not aware of problems. Please tell me
> > you don't say 'van Go'??
> >

> Only when speaking with Americans.
> ==
>
> lol

Interestingly enough, "van Go" is the only way I've ever heard it
pronounced, even by teachers in school. I guess Usains just
dumbed it down to easy pronunciation rather than trying to mimic
the sound of vomiting.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" wrote in message ...

On 11-Jan-2018, jmcquown > wrote:

> On 1/9/2018 6:45 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 6:02:29 AM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> >>
> >> I don't know what salmon cakes are. Cake sounds like a
> >> sweet. Anyway,
> >> salmon patties are great. Mackerel patties are even better.

> > In this context, cake = patty. Like a cake of soap,
> > the word "cake" can refer to any flattish mass.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> Salmon patties/cakes are so much better than mackerel. They
> aren't
> croquettes, though, and not eggless. I definitely add an egg
> to the
> mixture for my salmon patties/cakes.

Isn't the only difference between salmon patties and croquettes
the shape? At least the ones I have had taste pretty much the
same, with patties being flat and croquettes round(ish). like a
small salmon log. Though,I seem to recall croquettes
occasionally served with a sauce/gravy poured over and have never
had that with salmon patties.

===

Yes, to me croquettes are shaped like small logs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 13:14:57 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"S Viemeister" wrote in message ...
>
>On 1/12/2018 4:11 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "S Viemeister" wrote in message ...
>> On 1/11/2018 2:28 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>> I can only pronounce it properly when I have a bad cold...
>>> ===
>>> I've never had any problem with it, but then I can say loch properly
>>> too

>> Well, so can I, but van Gogh goes _far_ beyond the ch in loch!
>> ==
>> I'll take your word for it but I am not aware of problems. Please tell me
>> you don't say 'van Go'??
>>

>Only when speaking with Americans.
>==
>
>lol

There is really no basis to make a superiority claim for any one
non-Dutch version over any other Non-Dutch one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2018 10:31 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:

> There is really no basis to make a superiority claim for any one
> non-Dutch version over any other Non-Dutch one.

Which is why I adjust my pronunciation, depending on where I am.
Also - to-mah-to/to-may-to, sKedule/sHedule, and herb/'erb, among others.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2018 10:13 AM, Gary wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "S Viemeister" wrote:
>>
>> Ophelia wrote:
>>> I'll take your word for it but I am not aware of problems. Please tell me
>>> you don't say 'van Go'??
>>>

>> Only when speaking with Americans.
>> ==
>>
>> lol

> Interestingly enough, "van Go" is the only way I've ever heard it
> pronounced, even by teachers in school. I guess Usains just
> dumbed it down to easy pronunciation rather than trying to mimic
> the sound of vomiting.

We change and simplify at will. Why do we say Rome for Roma and Naples
for Napoli? I have no idea why simple city names had to be translated.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2018 10:16 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> Yes, to me croquettes are shaped like small logs.

And then there are rissoles...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" wrote in message ...

On 1/12/2018 10:16 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> Yes, to me croquettes are shaped like small logs.

And then there are rissoles...

==

Ahh yes, the rissoles ...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" wrote in message ...

On 12-Jan-2018, "Ophelia" > wrote:

> "l not -l" wrote in message
>

> On 11-Jan-2018, jmcquown > wrote:
>
> > On 1/9/2018 6:45 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > In this context, cake = patty. Like a cake of soap,
> > > the word "cake" can refer to any flattish mass.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton
> > >

> > Salmon patties/cakes are so much better than mackerel. They
> > aren't
> > croquettes, though, and not eggless. I definitely add an egg
> > to the
> > mixture for my salmon patties/cakes.

> Isn't the only difference between salmon patties and croquettes
> the shape? At least the ones I have had taste pretty much the
> same, with patties being flat and croquettes round(ish). like a
> small salmon log. Though,I seem to recall croquettes
> occasionally served with a sauce/gravy poured over and have
> never
> had that with salmon patties.
>
> ===
>
> Yes, to me croquettes are shaped like small logs.

Upon reflection, I think there is one other difference -
prestige. I have never seen salmon patties offered in a
restaurant, I have seen salmon, as well as other varieties, of
croquettes. Like polenta vs. grits, if both were offered on the
same menu, croquettes would command a higher price because they
sound more sophisticated. 8-) And, of course, a more
sophisticated dish deserves a creamy sauce.

I suppose salmon patties have been offered on restaurant menus,
just not where I've eaten. But, I'd wager it would be in casual
places like diners and cafeterias, while croquettes would be on a
more up-scale menu.

==

It was ever thus)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-01-12 5:13 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, January 11, 2018 at 12:47:26 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
>>
>> If you keep to the simple definition, it's basically a beef bull or
>> cow that's been trained to work. Some purists require they be one
>> of 2 Bos breeds to truely count. REality, the 'Ox tail' in our
>> markets is just the tail of a cow or a bull turned into meat. That
>> prized piece is sold for far more than such a bony part would
>> normally go for because it makes such a lovely broth!

> Bone broth seems to be the latest thing. Oxtail prices could go
> through the roof!

They already have gone through the roof here. When we were first
married we had oxtails frequently. I could get a big bag of them for
25-30 cents and there would be enough for a good feed for the two of us
and leftovers enough for the next night. Now they sell them packs of
3-4 for $12 or more per pack. For that price we can have steak and save
ourselves all that work. I keep an eye out for them on special.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2018 2:21 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1"Â* wrote in message
>
> On Thursday, January 11, 2018 at 12:03:40 PM UTC-10, Casa estilo antiguo
> wrote:
>>
>> As with any other historical train wreck there were numerous factors in
>> the derailment.
>>
>> Thankfully the cleanup went well, albeit it took an unreasonably long
>> time.
>>
>> Now we're looking at secession by Cali-phonya and "slaves" have been
>> replaced by "illegals" in sanctuary cities.
>>
>> History is a real biotch when it comes to rhyming, isn't she?
>>
>> %-0

> I was quite shocked to see what was going on in the UK while we were
> there. My second reaction was that the Brits are taking it very well,
> considering. Americans would freak have a nuclear meltdown if that ever
> happened here.
>
> I can't say what would happen if this migration happened on this rock.
> We should import more Mexicans and Puerto Ricans over here. I'm getting
> tired of eating all this Asian stuff all the time.
>
> ==
>
> Merkel invited refugees from 'anywhere' and since the EU has 'open
> boarders' ... It is one of the reasons we wanted to leave. Not because
> we don't like refugees but because our country isn't big enough to cope
> with such a huge influx.Â* She wasn't the first though.Â* One of our
> politicians (Blair) invited in all and sundry.Â* It all makes huge
> problems for our hospitals, schools, housing etc.

"curses like chickens come home to roost"

:-(

These globalists are decoupled from all reality.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2018 3:10 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, January 11, 2018 at 12:41:14 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:
>>

>> Naw, just a few mentioning it's here. I do NOT recall seeing it in
>> Hawaii. I suspect the bone to meat ratio is too low to make it that
>> popular there outside maybe Waikiki.
>>
>> It was actually Japan where I encountered it first as something
>> commonly there at the stores. It was seasonal (culling the herd time)
>> but I liked it very well.
>>
>> Here, I get them anytime at the local American Asian Grocery and of
>> course, I have seen them elsewhere in the more upscale markets.
>>
>> Best simmered slow and low to make a lovely broth.

> I've never made Oxtail soup nor am I a big fan but it is popular over here. My guess is that it's made and served differently than on the mainland because it's made Chinese style.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPla9cgUZHs

Heck yes again!

Slurp city here we come.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2018 3:21 AM, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 09:21:20 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>> "dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>> I was quite shocked to see what was going on in the UK while we were there.
>> My second reaction was that the Brits are taking it very well, considering.
>> Americans would freak have a nuclear meltdown if that ever happened here.
>>
>> I can't say what would happen if this migration happened on this rock. We
>> should import more Mexicans and Puerto Ricans over here. I'm getting tired
>> of eating all this Asian stuff all the time.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Merkel invited refugees from 'anywhere' and since the EU has 'open boarders'
>> ... It is one of the reasons we wanted to leave. Not because we don't like
>> refugees but because our country isn't big enough to cope with such a huge
>> influx. She wasn't the first though. One of our politicians (Blair)
>> invited in all and sundry. It all makes huge problems for our hospitals,
>> schools, housing etc.

> Europe should have helped them closer to their own region. It's
> nonsense to let big numbers of refugees into already densely populated
> countries. Also, it's going to take decennia to explain to these
> people that gays aren't pigs and that women who smile at you aren't
> prostitutes.

+1

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2018 3:21 AM, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 21:21:01 +1100, Bruce >
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 09:21:20 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> "dsi1" wrote in message
>>>
>>> I was quite shocked to see what was going on in the UK while we were there.
>>> My second reaction was that the Brits are taking it very well, considering.
>>> Americans would freak have a nuclear meltdown if that ever happened here.
>>>
>>> I can't say what would happen if this migration happened on this rock. We
>>> should import more Mexicans and Puerto Ricans over here. I'm getting tired
>>> of eating all this Asian stuff all the time.
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Merkel invited refugees from 'anywhere' and since the EU has 'open boarders'
>>> ... It is one of the reasons we wanted to leave. Not because we don't like
>>> refugees but because our country isn't big enough to cope with such a huge
>>> influx. She wasn't the first though. One of our politicians (Blair)
>>> invited in all and sundry. It all makes huge problems for our hospitals,
>>> schools, housing etc.

>> Europe should have helped them closer to their own region. It's
>> nonsense to let big numbers of refugees into already densely populated
>> countries. Also, it's going to take decennia to explain to these
>> people that gays aren't pigs and that women who smile at you aren't
>> prostitutes.

> Decennia? I mean decades.

As in several, at the least.

By which time they will have replacement bred themselves into the
Caliphate majority.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-01-12 8:58 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 1/12/2018 10:13 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Ophelia wrote:

>>> Only when speaking with Americans.
>>> ==
>>>
>>> lol

>> Interestingly enough, "van Go" is the only way I've ever heard it
>> pronounced, even by teachers in school. I guess Usains just
>> dumbed it down to easy pronunciation rather than trying to mimic
>> the sound of vomiting.Â*
>>

> We change and simplify at will.Â* Why do we say Rome for Roma and Naples
> for Napoli?Â* I have no idea why simple city names had to be translated.

But now we have to say Beijing when the English form is Peking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-01-12 5:21 AM, Bruce wrote:

> Europe should have helped them closer to their own region. It's
> nonsense to let big numbers of refugees into already densely populated
> countries. Also, it's going to take decennia to explain to these
> people that gays aren't pigs and that women who smile at you aren't
> prostitutes.

We currently have a prime minister who panders to the immigrant vote
and, despite our country bringing in 10,000 refugees per year... vetting
them, paying their way here and housing them, he pledged to bring in
25,000 by the end of that year. On top of that, we have at least 15,000
more who come here as visitors and then when they arrive they claim
refugee status.

We have a third safe country deal that means refugee claimants coming
from a safe country will not be admitted, but that applies only at
regular manned crossing, so now we have then streaming across the
borders from the US. Most of them are being rejected because they are
no legitimate refugees. The are economic migrants and they are fleeing
the US because special programs that allowed them to stay in the US
after disasters in their homeland are ending. Ours already ended.

What we should be doing is assisting with housing them in areas closer
to home so that they can return when things calm down back home. We
should only be giving them visas to allow them to stay, or permanent
residence, not citizenship.

A lot of them are more interested in citizenship and a passport than in
living here. There are many thousands of middle easterners living and
working overseas, mainly in the middle east, with American and Canadian
passports. They are citizens of convenience.

Canada fast tracked thousands of Lebanese to citizenship because of
conflict at home. A few years back, when Israel pounded Lebanon, we had
55,000 "Canadians" who were screaming to be evacuated from Lebanon.
They were mostly those who had come here for citizenship and then
returned to their homeland. We spent millions to rescue those citizens
of convenience and shortly after things settled down back in Lebanon
most of them went back there to their real homes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2018 4:29 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, January 11, 2018 at 6:15:09 PM UTC-5, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:

>>> I was quite shocked to see what was going on in the UK while we were there. My second reaction was that the Brits are taking it very well, considering. Americans would freak have a nuclear meltdown if that ever happened here.
>>>

>> Oh it's happening, the frog is just enjoying the hot tub for a spell
>> first...
>>
>>> I can't say what would happen if this migration happened on this rock. We should import more Mexicans and Puerto Ricans over here. I'm getting tired of eating all this Asian stuff all the time.
>>>

>> Culture travels best on good cuisine that much I'm willing to testify too...
>>
>> I haven't been able to master Ethiopian food yet, it's a leap from
>> licking KFC off my fingers to downright eatin' with 'em...

> You pick up the food with the bread. Just like eating a sandwich.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I have watched this scoop and puddle act with the najera, not my style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMVmHBZ_x3I

You get 4 people around that polatter, and it was sized for that many
and it's a gross finger fest.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2018 6:14 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "S Viemeister"Â* wrote in message ...
>
> On 1/12/2018 4:11 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "S Viemeister"Â* wrote in message ...
>> On 1/11/2018 2:28 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>> I can only pronounce it properly when I have a bad cold...
>>> ===
>>> I've never had any problem with it, but then I can say loch properly
>>> too

>> Well, so can I, but van Gogh goes _far_ beyond the ch in loch!
>> ==
>> I'll take your word for it but I am not aware of problems.Â* Please
>> tell me
>> you don't say 'van Go'??
>>

> Only when speaking with Americans.
> ==
>
> lol

It's ok, most of us have vans that do go anyway...

;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2018 10:55 AM, l not -l wrote:
> On 12-Jan-2018, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> On 1/11/2018 1:27 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>> On Thu, 11 Jan 2018 18:02:46 GMT, "l not -l"

>>> Hmmm. Now I thought (no reason why especially) that salmon
>>> patties
>>> were served with some sort of cream sauce.
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> I suppose they could be. Perhaps a dill cream sauce.
>>
>> Jill

> Dill cream sauce is what I have seen served with salmon
> croquettes; since, IME, salmon patties and croquettes differ only
> in shape, the sauce should as well with either.

Dill cream sauce is ubiquitous with salmon steaks and fillets. Fancier
things than salmon patties/cakes/croquettes. It should work just as
well.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2018 8:57 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 1/12/2018 10:31 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
>
>> There is really no basis to make a superiority claim for any one
>> non-Dutch version over any other Non-Dutch one.
>>

> Which is why I adjust my pronunciation, depending on where I am.
> Also - to-mah-to/to-may-to, sKedule/sHedule, and herb/'erb, among others.

Aluminium!

....or aluminum?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2018 8:58 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 1/12/2018 10:13 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Ophelia wrote:

>>> Only when speaking with Americans.
>>> ==
>>>
>>> lol

>> Interestingly enough, "van Go" is the only way I've ever heard it
>> pronounced, even by teachers in school. I guess Usains just
>> dumbed it down to easy pronunciation rather than trying to mimic
>> the sound of vomiting.Â*
>>

> We change and simplify at will.Â* Why do we say Rome for Roma and Naples
> for Napoli?Â* I have no idea why simple city names had to be translated.

Torino or Turin?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-01-12 8:59 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 1/12/2018 10:16 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> Yes, to me croquettes are shaped like small logs.
>>

> And then there are rissoles...

and faggots!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2018 11:50 AM, graham wrote:
> On 2018-01-12 8:59 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
>> On 1/12/2018 10:16 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, to me croquettes are shaped like small logs.
>>>

>> And then there are rissoles...
>>

> and faggots!

I HAVE NO BONER
___
f Y
l`_'j
_HHH_ ,-.
,--.'"._V ,"`. ,f Y
/o o\ ._I_, \|| ;
(o () o)._I_, {} ;
f Y ' | `
j l
-==' `==-

REC salmon croquettes piedmont General Cooking 5 13-05-2010 04:45 PM
Chicken Croquettes?? Jeanne Burton General Cooking 12 07-01-2010 07:18 PM
Egg Croquettes kuyabayu Recipes 1 07-07-2009 06:27 PM
Ham Croquettes Chef R W Miller Recipes (moderated) 0 28-04-2007 04:04 PM