Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What are you trying to make?

On 2018-01-15 3:06 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 15:04:28 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> Apparently it's okay for others to ask questions, but not me.

>> You ask questions then shoot down the answers. It's your modus
>> operandi. Stop asking questions if you already don't like the answers.
>>
>> You should expect to be chided for saying can't, won't, don't and ewwww
>> all the time. Most people do not cook or eat the way you do. We don't
>> have the myriad of health problems or phobias, either.
>>
>> I don't care what your gardener will eat. What a great next chapter!
>> Divorced and cooking for the gardener. I call that weird. Cooking to
>> his whims is just like what you were doing for your ex.

> Jill's applying to become the new Dave. At least I hope so, because
> otherwise there'd be 2 of them.

Oh not Bruce. Thanks to my tutelage, a number of people have caught on
to Julie's quirks. My job is pretty well done. It took a few years and
most people here have smartened up and seen her for what she is. You
have been slow to catch on. You should just be happy that our snarky
comments to and about Julie give you material to snipe at.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/15/2018 2:46 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-01-15 2:21 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I suggested she find something else to cook if none of the suggestions
>> worked for her.* She was bound and determined to make what she calls
>> croquettes.* Suggestions simply don't work.

> Whatever made you think that any of the suggestions offered would have
> worked for her?* The good in people here leads them to take her
> seriously and to offer good suggestions, but it is like Lucy holding the
> football for Charlie Brown.

The "good people in here"?

You mean the "good bullies" of RFC?

Frankly every time she sends you all down on your pompous backsides I
****ing laugh out loud!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/15/2018 2:55 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-01-15 2:44 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 1/15/2018 2:30 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> I then looked up the recipe. I made one post. Asked once. Then got
>>> nothing but grief.

>> Surprise!* You got grief because you can't/won't/don't eat whatever.
>> You allegedly lost the cookbook/recipe.* Refused any ideas suggested.
>> There is nothing new about that.

> Yeah well. It is also no surprise that people actually indulged her in
> her silly little game and got sucked into that vortex of dysfunction.
> You should learn to just have fun with it. She enjoys the abuse. For
> her, it is better to be abused than to be ignored.

And a ****ed up bully ******* like YOU will use any excuse to
rationalize your selective torture.

You're a real sack of shit Smith.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/15/2018 2:59 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-01-15 3:06 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 15:04:28 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> You ask questions then shoot down the answers.* It's your modus
>>> operandi.* Stop asking questions if you already don't like the answers.
>>>
>>> You should expect to be chided for saying can't, won't, don't and ewwww
>>> all the time.* Most people do not cook or eat the way you do.* We don't
>>> have the myriad of health problems or phobias, either.
>>>
>>> I don't care what your gardener will eat.* What a great next chapter!
>>> Divorced and cooking for the gardener.* I call that weird.* Cooking to
>>> his whims is just like what you were doing for your ex.

>> Jill's applying to become the new Dave. At least I hope so, because
>> otherwise there'd be 2 of them.
>>

> Oh not Bruce.* Thanks to my tutelage, a number of people have caught on
> to Julie's quirks. My job is pretty well done. It took a few years and
> most people here have smartened up and seen her for what she is. You
> have been slow to catch on. You should just be happy that our snarky
> comments to and about Julie give you material to snipe at.

There ya go, bullies congratulating bullies and pontificating on sharing
the bully lifestyle among each pother.

You're one sick and twisted SOB.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Croquettes with no egg?

On 2018-01-15 5:36 PM, l not -l wrote:
> On 15-Jan-2018, wrote:

>> The real question is how much the US should pay in punitive
>> fines for stealing a weak and defenseless sovereign nation.
>> Appropriating and then demanding money is a cynical ploy
>> generally used by pimps and people engaged in human
>> trafficking. It's merely a scam the powerful use to control the
>> weak. I ain't falling for it. And that's all I got to say about
>> that.

> Yeah, I'm sure you would have found the Japanese much better
> overlards. Sad really, that the US had to be there in December
> 1947 and make you guys miserable for all these years.
>
> If the citizenry is so miserable and downtrodden, perhaps you can
> withdraw and see who else is interested in a weak and sovereign
> nation. If we time it right, we can have you pull out at the
> same time Puerto Rico becomes a state and we'll save the expense
> of designing and deploying a new flag.

After the distinct lack of federal assistance to Puerto Rico after that
devastating hurricane last year, I doubt that they are interested in
statehood. It wasn't even their idea to be part of the US. Someone else
decided that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 16:59:58 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2018-01-15 3:06 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 15:04:28 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I don't care what your gardener will eat. What a great next chapter!
>>> Divorced and cooking for the gardener. I call that weird. Cooking to
>>> his whims is just like what you were doing for your ex.

>> Jill's applying to become the new Dave. At least I hope so, because
>> otherwise there'd be 2 of them.
>>

>Oh not Bruce. Thanks to my tutelage, a number of people have caught on
>to Julie's quirks. My job is pretty well done. It took a few years and
>most people here have smartened up and seen her for what she is. You
>have been slow to catch on. You should just be happy that our snarky
>comments to and about Julie give you material to snipe at.

So your job's done. Can I hold you to that?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/15/2018 3:36 PM, l not -l wrote:
> On 15-Jan-2018, wrote:
>
>> On Monday, January 15, 2018 at 9:52:51 AM UTC-10, Casa Fortuna
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> http://www.usdebtclock.org/state-deb...ebt-clock.html
>>>
>>> $11,239.00 per person in debt...
>>>
>>> Will be tough to wish away...

>> The real question is how much the US should pay in punitive
>> fines for stealing a weak and defenseless sovereign nation.
>> Appropriating and then demanding money is a cynical ploy
>> generally used by pimps and people engaged in human
>> trafficking. It's merely a scam the powerful use to control the
>> weak. I ain't falling for it. And that's all I got to say about
>> that.

> Yeah, I'm sure you would have found the Japanese much better
> overlards. Sad really, that the US had to be there in December
> 1947 and make you guys miserable for all these years.
>
> If the citizenry is so miserable and downtrodden, perhaps you can
> withdraw and see who else is interested in a weak and sovereign
> nation. If we time it right, we can have you pull out at the
> same time Puerto Rico becomes a state and we'll save the expense
> of designing and deploying a new flag.

I wonder if the slavery reparations canard is going to roar back to life
too.

How can any society go back and pay off its growth pains?

It's simply unworkable and unlikely to mean anything in the long run.

And where and when do we stop paying?

Are we shortchanging future generations whose DNA may be slave-based of
their just deserts?

Do the unborn deserve apologies for everything that came before their
time here?

If so, why?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/15/2018 3:44 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-01-15 5:36 PM, l not -l wrote:
>> On 15-Jan-2018,* wrote:

>>> The real question is how much the US should pay in punitive
>>> fines for stealing a weak and defenseless sovereign nation.
>>> Appropriating and then demanding money is a cynical ploy
>>> generally used by pimps and people engaged in human
>>> trafficking. It's merely a scam the powerful use to control the
>>> weak. I ain't falling for it. And that's all I got to say about
>>> that.

>> Yeah, I'm sure you would have found the Japanese much better
>> overlards.* Sad really, that the US had to be there in December
>> 1947 and make you guys miserable for all these years.
>>
>> If the citizenry is so miserable and downtrodden, perhaps you can
>> withdraw* and see who else is interested in a weak and sovereign
>> nation.* If we time it right, we can have you pull out at the
>> same time Puerto Rico becomes a state and we'll save the expense
>> of designing and deploying a new flag.

> After the distinct lack of federal assistance to Puerto Rico

BULLSHIT CANUCKLHEAD HATE AMERICA LIE!

Ypu have not one honest bone in your worthles body, you scumbag
America-hating old trucker bully!

https://www.cnn.com/2017/09/27/us/pu...lem/index.html

San Juan, Puerto Rico (CNN)A mountain of food, water and other vital
supplies has arrived in Puerto Rico's main Port of San Juan.
But a shortage of truckers and the island's devastated infrastructure
are making it tough to move aid to where it's needed most, officials say.
At least 10,000 containers of supplies -- including food, water and
medicine -- were sitting Thursday at the San Juan port, said Jose Ayala,
the Crowley shipping company's vice president in Puerto Rico.

On Thursday the White House authorized a 10-day waiver of the Jones Act,
a federal law that limits shipping to US ports by foreign vessels.
Puerto Rico's governor and other US officials had argued that a waiver
would expedite supplies to the island.
But as Ayala has indicated, shipping companies already have aid and
supplies either waiting at the port to be delivered -- or held up at
ports on the US mainland.

2013:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/11...wer-bills.html

The U.S. government is nearly quadrupling the amount of federal funding
Puerto Rico receives to help impoverished families pay their power bills.

Resident Commissioner Pedro Pierluisi says the Department of Health and
Human Services will provide nearly $15 million to the commonwealth
starting in January, compared with the $4 million it provided this year.

Pierluisi said Thursday that the additional funds will help as many as
500,000 people. Some 250,000 people in the U.S. territory currently
receive help under the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program.

Power bills in Puerto Rico are on average more than twice those in the
U.S. mainland.

This is an important day for residents of Puerto Rico who need
assistance paying their electricity bills. With this new funding, the
Puerto Rico Department of the Family, which administers LIHEAP, should
be able to increase assistance to current program participants and to
provide assistance to many additional households, said Pierluisi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welfare_in_Puerto_Rico

Federal aid
According to the Consolidated Federal Funds Report compiled by the U.S.
Census Bureau, Puerto Rico has received more than $21 billion annually
in federal aid from the United States.[1] A substantial portion of this
amount is earmarked for public welfare, including funding educational
programs (such as Head Start), subsidized housing programs (such as
(Section 8 and public housing projects), and a food stamp system called
the Nutrition Assistance for Puerto Rico program.

> after that
> devastating* hurricane last year, I doubt that they are interested in
> statehood. It wasn't even their idea to be part of the US. Someone else
> decided that.

Wah, wah, wah!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rico

The United States and Puerto Rico began a long-standing
metropolis-colony relationship.[73] In the early 20th century, Puerto
Rico was ruled by the military, with officials including the governor
appointed by the President of the United States. The Foraker Act of 1900
gave Puerto Rico a certain amount of civilian popular government,
including a popularly elected House of Representatives. The upper house
and governor were appointed by the United States.
The First Supreme Court of Puerto Rico, appointed pursuant to the
Foraker Act

Its judicial system was constructed to follow the American legal system;
a Puerto Rico Supreme Court and a United State District Court for the
territory were established. It was authorized a non-voting member of
Congress, by the title of "Resident Commissioner", who was appointed. In
addition, this Act extended all U.S. laws "not locally inapplicable" to
Puerto Rico, specifying, in particular, exemption from U.S. Internal
Revenue laws.[74]

The Act empowered the civil government to legislate on "all matters of
legislative character not locally inapplicable", including the power to
modify and repeal any laws then in existence in Puerto Rico, though the
U.S. Congress retained the power to annul acts of the Puerto Rico
legislature.[74][75] During an address to the Puerto Rican legislature
in 1906, President Theodore Roosevelt recommended that Puerto Ricans
become U.S. citizens.[74][76]

In 1914, the Puerto Rican House of Delegates voted unanimously in favor
of independence from the United States, but this was rejected by the
U.S. Congress as "unconstitutional", and in violation of the 1900
Foraker Act.[77]
U.S. citizenship and Puerto Rican citizenship

In 1917, the U.S. Congress passed the JonesShafroth Act, popularly
called the Jones Act, which granted Puerto Ricans, born on or after,
April 25, 1898, U.S. citizenship.[78] Opponents, which included all of
the Puerto Rican House of Delegates, who voted unanimously against it,
said that the U.S. imposed citizenship in order to draft Puerto Rican
men into the army as American entry into World War I became likely.[77]

The same Act provided for a popularly elected Senate to complete a
bicameral Legislative Assembly, as well as a bill of rights. It
authorized the popular election of the Resident Commissioner to a
four-year term.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> On 1/14/2018 7:50 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> >
>> >"cshenk" > wrote in message

>> Don't assume hominy and grits are the same thing.

> They are't but there's an oddball thing in wikipedia on a type of grits
> made from hominy. I've never seen it before. Appears to be a slightly
> different treatment and not a common one where I am.
>
> Hominy here is distinctly different from grits.

Grits are *always* made from hominy. I suppose now you are going to say that
you didn't know that hominy was really corn!

>> I agree with that, Carol. She's very fond of canned food. It's hard
>> to imagine her making anything out of dried hominy.

> Don't know as anyone here makes hominy from dried. Could be. Now this
> oddball 'hominy grits' seems would be dry, just like traditional grits
> are.

OMG! This is TOO funny!

>> > I posted the damned recipe. And like you said to me... I won't post
>> > the link again. Not my fault if you didn't seem it.

>> You didn't post a recipe, Julie. You asked for an egg substitute and
>> hinted at a recipe.
>>
>> Jill

> I do spot read, but not that bad!
> Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-01-15 6:03 PM, Bruce wrote:

>> Oh not Bruce. Thanks to my tutelage, a number of people have caught on
>> to Julie's quirks. My job is pretty well done. It took a few years and
>> most people here have smartened up and seen her for what she is. You
>> have been slow to catch on. You should just be happy that our snarky
>> comments to and about Julie give you material to snipe at.

> So your job's done. Can I hold you to that?

Hold off until people learn to ignore her.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What are you trying to make? Duck soup!

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/15/2018 1:15 PM, Cheri wrote:
>> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>>
>>> I have tried canned hominy. 'Poor-do' works for a description to me.

>> I like canned hominy if prepared in a pressure cooker, otherwise not.
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> Canned hominy is already cooked. Why would you need to pressure cook it?
>
> It's been years since I bought a can of hominy. Oh, and it comes in white
> or yellow. I seem to recall I was asked to try canned hominy here on RFC
> a long time ago by a former poster. I reported back, heat it up, add
> butter and it tastes like popcorn.

I love it but we can only get the big cans here now. Used to be able to get
the same size can as the other veggies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Bruce wrote:
>>
>> It's quite possible that somebody happens to have an eggless recipe.
>> And if not, I still don't see the big deal.

> IMO, if she wants something to use as a binder for a recipe in
> order for it to retain it's shape while cooking....and no
> suggestion works... might I suggest just forget about shape and
> put all that mess into small casserole dish. Oven bake it and
> serve with a spoon. Taste will be the same.

Texture won't though. So I wouldn't do that.

> Lots of silly drama over this one. Julie wins the response game.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/15/2018 2:33 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Also, while grits are made from hominy they don't come in a can with
>>> liquid. Whole hominy does.
>>>
>>> Once again Julie mentions "I can't have egg and have yet to find a
>>> suitable substitute. I can try the chia seeds but the ones I have are
>>> black so they won't look very good!" How the hell chia seeds are
>>> supposed to be a substitute for egg as a binder is still a mystery.
>>>
>>> Ain't this fun? LOL

>> You're obviously not familiar with chia seeds. They form a gel in water.

> No, I'm not. I'm only familiar with Chia pets. I bought one as a joke
> for a friend years ago. It wouldn't occur to me to eat the seeds.
>
> Since you mention gel how about plain gelatin as a binder?

I have no gelatin for one thing, and it has a bit of a weird texture. Don't
think that would work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/15/2018 2:27 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> What's wrong with asking a food question in a food group? Why is
>>> cshenkie getting all worked up? Questions, questions.

>> Apparently it's okay for others to ask questions, but not me.

> You ask questions then shoot down the answers. It's your modus operandi.
> Stop asking questions if you already don't like the answers.
>
> You should expect to be chided for saying can't, won't, don't and ewwww
> all the time. Most people do not cook or eat the way you do. We don't
> have the myriad of health problems or phobias, either.
>
> I don't care what your gardener will eat. What a great next chapter!
> Divorced and cooking for the gardener. I call that weird. Cooking to his
> whims is just like what you were doing for your ex.

I'm sorry that you don't have anyone to cook for, Jill. I actually enjoy
cooking for people. I wasn't going to make the croquettes for him
necessarily. I'm not even sure that he would like them. I do know however
that we both hate yogurt so that's something I just wouldn't buy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 15:04:28 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> Apparently it's okay for others to ask questions, but not me.

>>You ask questions then shoot down the answers. It's your modus
>>operandi. Stop asking questions if you already don't like the answers.
>>
>>You should expect to be chided for saying can't, won't, don't and ewwww
>>all the time. Most people do not cook or eat the way you do. We don't
>>have the myriad of health problems or phobias, either.
>>
>>I don't care what your gardener will eat. What a great next chapter!
>>Divorced and cooking for the gardener. I call that weird. Cooking to
>>his whims is just like what you were doing for your ex.

> Jill's applying to become the new Dave. At least I hope so, because
> otherwise there'd be 2 of them.

Ew.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2018-01-15 3:06 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 15:04:28 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> You ask questions then shoot down the answers. It's your modus
>>> operandi. Stop asking questions if you already don't like the answers.
>>>
>>> You should expect to be chided for saying can't, won't, don't and ewwww
>>> all the time. Most people do not cook or eat the way you do. We don't
>>> have the myriad of health problems or phobias, either.
>>>
>>> I don't care what your gardener will eat. What a great next chapter!
>>> Divorced and cooking for the gardener. I call that weird. Cooking to
>>> his whims is just like what you were doing for your ex.

>> Jill's applying to become the new Dave. At least I hope so, because
>> otherwise there'd be 2 of them.
>>

> Oh not Bruce. Thanks to my tutelage, a number of people have caught on to
> Julie's quirks. My job is pretty well done. It took a few years and most
> people here have smartened up and seen her for what she is. You have been
> slow to catch on. You should just be happy that our snarky comments to and
> about Julie give you material to snipe at.

Bruce is fine. I would even cook for him!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l not -l wrote:

> [...]
>
> > l not -l wrote:

> > > Same is true in my household. In the part of the south where
> > > grew up grits meant corn grits, made with whole grain corn
> > > and
> > > that is what I use today when I make grits.

> > Yup. Wikipedia mentions Hominy Grits as an alternative to
> > normal
> > grits. Both are made from corn, but not the same treatment or
> > (apparently) flavor.
> >
> > > I do know there is also hominy grits, made from dried hominy
> > > and,
> > > IMO, is disgusting. As a child, my grandmother would
> > > occasionally serve hominy, which no one would eat unless
> > > smothered in gravy or butter. It was what she prepared when
> > > the
> > > cupboard was nearly empty and little money was available to
> > > restock; that and "put-up" (home canned) stewed tomatoes was
> > > what
> > > she called "poor-do", it's what you do when too poor to
> > > better
> > > stock the pantry.

> > Sounds about right. I can't say as they don't sell them here,
> > but I've
> > never looked for them. It's an odd product from the sounds.
> >
> > I have tried canned hominy. 'Poor-do' works for a description
> > to me.
> >

> > > As an adult, I have only had hominy once, cooked from dried
> > > make posole. I was unsuccessful in finding a combination of
> > > ingredients and condiments that could make it taste like
> > > something I would want to eat instead of the thousands of
> > > other
> > > foods I could make.

> > I am not sure if we are missing something but frankly, there
> > are much
> > better things to investigate.
> >
> > Right now, we are making a soup of defatted duck bone broth
> > with
> > chopped cabbage, onions, carrots, turnips, sesame seed, a
> > modicum of
> > black ground pepper and after it develops I have some cooked
> > duck meat,
> > tiny cubed firm tofu, and udon noodle to add.
> >
> > The only reason for the Tofu BTW is 'use or lose' status. It
> > won't add
> > any flavor, just be healthy to eat up. I actually stock it for
> > my late
> > spay elderly 15yo dog and it helps her not dribble on the
> > carpet due to
> > estrogen issues. I have a little too much just now and will get
> > some
> > fresh Tuesday for her

> We're having soup weather the past couple of days and for the
> next week; we dropped from a high one day of 67F to highs in the
> 20s, with single digits tomorrow. I made cream of smoked tomato
> soup for the last Alberta Clipper, a couple of weeks ago.
> Saturday I made beef stew for yesterday's dinner. Today, I'm
> about to start a pot of French Onion to get through this cold
> spell. I will begin caramelizing 5 pounds of onions in a few

We are having a cold snap here too. I'm listening to the heat kick in
for as much as 15 minutes an hour while the fireplace is at full run
(started her up at 9am). We are technicaly 33F but feels like 24F.
Pretty well insulated, at 40F the fireplace holds it all.

I will need to order more wood in 2 weeks or so.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
> > jmcquown wrote:

> > > Don't assume hominy and grits are the same thing.

> > They are't but there's an oddball thing in wikipedia on a type of
> > grits made from hominy. I've never seen it before. Appears to be
> > a slightly different treatment and not a common one where I am.
> >
> > Hominy here is distinctly different from grits.
> >

> Grits are always made from hominy. I suppose now you are going to say
> that you didn't know that hominy was really corn!

"Grits are a food made from corn (maize) that is ground into a coarse
meal and then boiled. Hominy grits are a type of grits made from hominy
(corn that has been treated with an alkali in a process called
nixtamalization) with the germ removed." From wikipedia.

Hominy grits are not the same as regular grits.

They do not apparently taste the same either. What you are doing is
similar to saying corn on the cob = corn starch. Yes, they both are
corn but what is your point?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/15/2018 4:39 PM, l not -l wrote:
> On 15-Jan-2018, Dave Smith > wrote:

>>> Yeah, I'm sure you would have found the Japanese much better
>>> overlards. Sad really, that the US had to be there in
>>> December
>>> 1947 and make you guys miserable for all these years.
>>>
>>> If the citizenry is so miserable and downtrodden, perhaps you
>>> can
>>> withdraw and see who else is interested in a weak and
>>> sovereign
>>> nation. If we time it right, we can have you pull out at the
>>> same time Puerto Rico becomes a state and we'll save the
>>> expense
>>> of designing and deploying a new flag.

>> After the distinct lack of federal assistance to Puerto Rico
>> after that
>> devastating hurricane last year, I doubt that they are
>> interested in
>> statehood. It wasn't even their idea to be part of the US.
>> Someone else
>> decided that.

> Well, unless you are a FAKE NEWS conspiracy Trumpian, you will
> find several news reports say that statehood has never been more
> desired in PR. Seems they think states get much better federal
> government support than mere territories. They think actual
> voting representatives might be a good thing and have recently
> begun a stronger advocacy.
>
> Just one of a number of real news reports on the subject:
> https://nyti.ms/2FlP9KK

"In 1796, the residents of Tennessee decided to force the issue of
statehood by holding a convention, drafting a constitution, electing
members of the House and Senate and then demanding that the other states
let Tennessee in. The state eventually prevailed, and that hardball path
to statehood came to be known as the Tennessee Plan. It has been copied
by others, most recently Alaska, and Puerto Rico is now utilizing the
technique."

Good for them, they have earned the right to get this done.

But they can't be a state and then chase our military off.

https://nvdatabase.swarthmore.edu/co...land-1970-1974

http://www.internationalist.org/viequeseng0500.html

Puerto Rican Labor: Shut Down All U.S. Bases!

Navy Get the Hell Out of Vieques Now!
Independence for Puerto Rico!

http://www.peoplesworld.org/article/...n-puerto-rico/

On March 31 the U.S. Navy closed down the Roosevelt Roads Naval Base in
Ceiba, Puerto Rico. The closing of the base, a victory for the
progressive and pro-independence forces of this Caribbean nation, came
after the Puerto Rican people won the fight to stop the Navys use of
the island municipality of Vieques for bombing practice. The Roosevelt
Road base was used to service the bombing practice and the Atlantic Fleet.

The Navy was forced to close down Camp Garc*a, the firing zone in
Vieques, on May 1, 2003, after using the area for target practice since
the 1940s. The Culebra bombing area closed after a similar fight in the
1970s. The closing of Roosevelt Roads leaves only one U.S. Navy base in
the Caribbean the Guantanamo Bay Naval Station in Cuba.

Similar to Vieques and Culebra, the people of Cuba do not support the
use of their territory by the U.S. and have demanded that the base
close. The U.S. government has refused, however, because of its
antagonism to the Cuban revolution.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...erto_Rico.html

Condition of the Naval Station Roosevelt Roads today?
Jun 15, 2014, 5:10 PM

We just went there 2 day's ago. We went in from a different Gate this
time and nobody was at the Gate. Last time about 2 month ago we had to
show a Drivers License. It looks really sad, all the Buildings
abandoned, such as Clubs, Housing. Some Buildings are in use for
training of the National Guard. Many streets are closed off. Don't know
where they leading too. The access to the beach is blocked. Only the
street to the Pier is open.Otherwise it looks ljke a Ghost Town, so sad

104. Condition of the Naval Station Roosevelt Roads today?
Oct 19, 2017, 4:16 PM

My husband was at Air Operations from 69-72. We lived at 24 Puerca Point
for those 3 years and, like many others, considered our time at Roosey a
true gift! We returned to PR just last year for a vacation with our son
and spent a morning "touring" part of the base. The old Air Ops building
is trashed but satisfied the desire to walk back in time. We found the
O'Club - again - overgrown and trashed. And we worked our way out to
Puerca Point and stood on the road in front of the spot where our home
was. The road is no more than a two rut driveway; all overgrown; house
sites have been "allowed" to return to nature! Views were still
beautiful but not as easily accessed as when the foliage was kept in
check by the PR "gardeners" who kept everything in great shape. Seeing
this beautiful and once vibrant base in such a wasted state was, and is,
very disheartening. It's a shame such a resource has been literally
thrown away.

95. Condition of the Naval Station Roosevelt Roads today?
Aug 26, 2017, 9:55 AM

I was stationed there 82-84 great place, I went back in 2000, I was
doing a google earth search and saw all the overgrowth on the buildings,
then found this conversation on tripv and it's mostly closed, very sad,
it was a beautiful place. If you go out on YouTube there are a few
videos that people have taken, its very sad. Puerto Rico is a beautiful
island I enjoyed my time there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/15/2018 4:40 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>> On 2018-01-15 3:06 PM, Bruce wrote:

>>> Jill's applying to become the new Dave. At least I hope so, because
>>> otherwise there'd be 2 of them.
>>>

>> Oh not Bruce.* Thanks to my tutelage, a number of people have caught
>> on to Julie's quirks. My job is pretty well done. It took a few years
>> and most people here have smartened up and seen her for what she is.
>> You have been slow to catch on. You should just be happy that our
>> snarky comments to and about Julie give you material to snipe at.

> Bruce is fine. I would even cook for him!

Your ability to treat this bullying as some kind of lark is
simultaneously encouraging and yet flagrantly invites more of the same.

Think about it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l not -l wrote:

> On 15-Jan-2018, Dave Smith > wrote:

> > > Yeah, I'm sure you would have found the Japanese much better
> > > overlards. Sad really, that the US had to be there in
> > > December
> > > 1947 and make you guys miserable for all these years.
> > >
> > > If the citizenry is so miserable and downtrodden, perhaps you
> > > can
> > > withdraw and see who else is interested in a weak and
> > > sovereign
> > > nation. If we time it right, we can have you pull out at the
> > > same time Puerto Rico becomes a state and we'll save the
> > > expense
> > > of designing and deploying a new flag.

> > After the distinct lack of federal assistance to Puerto Rico
> > after that
> > devastating hurricane last year, I doubt that they are
> > interested in
> > statehood. It wasn't even their idea to be part of the US.
> > Someone else
> > decided that.

> Well, unless you are a FAKE NEWS conspiracy Trumpian, you will
> find several news reports say that statehood has never been more
> desired in PR. Seems they think states get much better federal
> government support than mere territories. They think actual
> voting representatives might be a good thing and have recently
> begun a stronger advocacy.
>
> Just one of a number of real news reports on the subject:
> https://nyti.ms/2FlP9KK

Good article.

I would be for PR being our 51st state. They are already American
citizens, just like Guam. PR has poked at statehood for a long time.
I think it's overdue.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/15/2018 6:39 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> Apparently it's okay for others to ask questions, but not me.

>> You ask questions then shoot down the answers.* It's your modus
>> operandi. Stop asking questions if you already don't like the answers.
>>
>> You should expect to be chided for saying can't, won't, don't and
>> ewwww all the time.* Most people do not cook or eat the way you do.
>> We don't have the myriad of health problems or phobias, either.
>>
>> I don't care what your gardener will eat.* What a great next chapter!
>> Divorced and cooking for the gardener.* I call that weird.* Cooking to
>> his whims is just like what you were doing for your ex.

> I'm sorry that you don't have anyone to cook for, Jill.

You're so wrong. The difference is my SO has never refused to eat what
I've cooked like your ex- did. You seem to gauge your life around
having a man and food allergies, intolerances.

I don't have to shop for special ingredients or make separate food for
anyone. You're the one who seems to hook up with people who require
special cooking requirements. Sorry, but I would NOT do that. I'd make
him buy and cook that stuff himself. You don't know how to be
independent without a man. That's really sad.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/15/2018 5:16 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/15/2018 6:39 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> You ask questions then shoot down the answers.* It's your modus
>>> operandi. Stop asking questions if you already don't like the answers.
>>>
>>> You should expect to be chided for saying can't, won't, don't and
>>> ewwww all the time.* Most people do not cook or eat the way you do.
>>> We don't have the myriad of health problems or phobias, either.
>>>
>>> I don't care what your gardener will eat.* What a great next chapter!
>>> Divorced and cooking for the gardener.* I call that weird.* Cooking
>>> to his whims is just like what you were doing for your ex.

>> I'm sorry that you don't have anyone to cook for, Jill.

> You're so wrong.* The difference is my SO has never refused to eat what
> I've cooked like your ex- did.* You seem to gauge your life around
> having a man and food allergies, intolerances.
>
> I don't have to shop for special ingredients or make separate food for
> anyone.* You're the one who seems to hook up with people who require
> special cooking requirements.* Sorry, but I would NOT do that.* I'd make
> him buy and cook that stuff himself.* You don't know how to be
> independent without a man.* That's really sad.
>
> Jill

You are one nasty piece of catty work, dear.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/15/2018 5:35 PM, l not -l wrote:
> On 15-Jan-2018, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>> l not -l wrote:

>>> Well, unless you are a FAKE NEWS conspiracy Trumpian, you
>>> will
>>> find several news reports say that statehood has never been
>>> more
>>> desired in PR. Seems they think states get much better
>>> federal
>>> government support than mere territories. They think actual
>>> voting representatives might be a good thing and have
>>> recently
>>> begun a stronger advocacy.
>>>
>>> Just one of a number of real news reports on the subject:
>>> https://nyti.ms/2FlP9KK

>> Good article.
>>
>> I would be for PR being our 51st state. They are already
>> American
>> citizens, just like Guam. PR has poked at statehood for a long
>> time.
>> I think it's overdue.

> Yes, I'd like to see it happen and end this citizenship without
> representation. I'd welcome similar inclusion of other US
> territories.

Long as we can homogeneously package them together, not every single
island, atoll or protectorate scales out to being statehood material.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 00:35:49 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>On 15-Jan-2018, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>> l not -l wrote:

>> > Well, unless you are a FAKE NEWS conspiracy Trumpian, you
>> > will
>> > find several news reports say that statehood has never been
>> > more
>> > desired in PR. Seems they think states get much better
>> > federal
>> > government support than mere territories. They think actual
>> > voting representatives might be a good thing and have
>> > recently
>> > begun a stronger advocacy.
>> >
>> > Just one of a number of real news reports on the subject:
>> > https://nyti.ms/2FlP9KK

>> Good article.
>>
>> I would be for PR being our 51st state. They are already
>> American
>> citizens, just like Guam. PR has poked at statehood for a long
>> time.
>> I think it's overdue.

>Yes, I'd like to see it happen and end this citizenship without
>representation. I'd welcome similar inclusion of other US
>territories.

Such as the UK?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-01-15 4:26 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-01-15 6:03 PM, Bruce wrote:
>

>>> Oh not Bruce.* Thanks to my tutelage, a number of people have caught on
>>> to Julie's quirks. My job is pretty well done. It took a few years and
>>> most people here have smartened up and seen her for what she is. You
>>> have been slow to catch on. You should just be happy that our snarky
>>> comments to and about Julie give you material to snipe at.

>> So your job's done. Can I hold you to that?
>>

> Hold off until people learn to ignore her.

Which I did ages ago when I plonked her.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 18:26:38 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2018-01-15 6:03 PM, Bruce wrote:
>

>>> Oh not Bruce. Thanks to my tutelage, a number of people have caught on
>>> to Julie's quirks. My job is pretty well done. It took a few years and
>>> most people here have smartened up and seen her for what she is. You
>>> have been slow to catch on. You should just be happy that our snarky
>>> comments to and about Julie give you material to snipe at.

>> So your job's done. Can I hold you to that?
>>

>Hold off until people learn to ignore her.

So your job isn't done and most people haven't smartened up and seen
her for what she is.

Mixed signals, man.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 15:40:57 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>> On 2018-01-15 3:06 PM, Bruce wrote:

>>> Jill's applying to become the new Dave. At least I hope so, because
>>> otherwise there'd be 2 of them.
>>>

>> Oh not Bruce. Thanks to my tutelage, a number of people have caught on to
>> Julie's quirks. My job is pretty well done. It took a few years and most
>> people here have smartened up and seen her for what she is. You have been
>> slow to catch on. You should just be happy that our snarky comments to and
>> about Julie give you material to snipe at.

>Bruce is fine. I would even cook for him!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 16:43:24 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2018-01-15 2:11 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> It's been years since I bought a can of hominy.* Oh, and it comes in
>> white or yellow.* I seem to recall I was asked to try canned hominy here
>> on RFC a long time ago by a former poster.* I reported back, heat it up,
>> add butter and it tastes like popcorn.

>I have only had hominy once and I liked it. It was in Menudo that I had
>in a restaurant in Colorado. There is chance that it is sold in the
>Latino store in a nearby city, but I didn't see it when I was there. I
>wasn't really looking for it, but I did score fresh soft corn tortillas.
>I cannot imagine a canned version of it being good.

I've never had it. Or grits. Or corn flour if that exists. I guess
some corn products are very American. Interesting though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 07:33:22 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Cheri" wrote in message news

>>Yes, if it's possible I will travel to where you are when the world ends
>>and
>>we will drink together. ;-)
>>
>>Cheri
>>
>>==
>>
>>That sounds pretty good to me)))
>>I'll hold you to that lol

> I'll bring the Crystal Palace.

I'll drink it too!

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/15/2018 1:15 PM, Cheri wrote:
>> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>>
>>> I have tried canned hominy. 'Poor-do' works for a description to me.

>> I like canned hominy if prepared in a pressure cooker, otherwise not.
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> Canned hominy is already cooked. Why would you need to pressure cook it?
>
> It's been years since I bought a can of hominy. Oh, and it comes in white
> or yellow. I seem to recall I was asked to try canned hominy here on RFC
> a long time ago by a former poster. I reported back, heat it up, add
> butter and it tastes like popcorn.
>
> Jill

To soften it. I like it softened. I usually brown some bacon and onion in
the pressure cooker then add the hominy and some chicken stock, I love it
like that.

Cheri

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 18:23:48 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 07:33:22 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"Cheri" wrote in message news

>>>Yes, if it's possible I will travel to where you are when the world ends
>>>and
>>>we will drink together. ;-)
>>>
>>>Cheri
>>>
>>>==
>>>
>>>That sounds pretty good to me)))
>>>I'll hold you to that lol

>> I'll bring the Crystal Palace.

>I'll drink it too!
>
>Cheri

If it's the end of the world I should bring enough to fill your tub
and we can bathe in it. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 1/15/2018 6:39 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> You're so wrong. The difference is my SO has never refused to eat
> what I've cooked like your ex- did.

Snippies (a lot) made.

I have to laugh. Don and I have a few things we are not compatible
with. I solved them long ago with a 2-3 veggie serving at meals. He
doesnt like Broccoli or Spinach. If I serve one of them, there are 2
alternatives usually. Same as Charlotte doesnt like Brussels sprouts
(Don and I love them) so she'll have 2 other options to use.

If he wants liver, he's going out and I'm NOT going with him!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Puerto Rico and statehood

l not -l wrote:

> On 15-Jan-2018, "cshenk" > wrote:
> > > Just one of a number of real news reports on the subject:
> > > https://nyti.ms/2FlP9KK

> > Good article.
> >
> > I would be for PR being our 51st state. They are already
> > American
> > citizens, just like Guam. PR has poked at statehood for a long
> > time.
> > I think it's overdue.

> Yes, I'd like to see it happen and end this citizenship without
> representation. I'd welcome similar inclusion of other US
> territories.

I seem to recall they have some nominal representation. Democratic
National convention and such to elect candidates? Not sure but they
get a single (token) vote in something.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/15/2018 6:39 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> You ask questions then shoot down the answers. It's your modus operandi.
>>> Stop asking questions if you already don't like the answers.
>>>
>>> You should expect to be chided for saying can't, won't, don't and ewwww
>>> all the time. Most people do not cook or eat the way you do. We don't
>>> have the myriad of health problems or phobias, either.
>>>
>>> I don't care what your gardener will eat. What a great next chapter!
>>> Divorced and cooking for the gardener. I call that weird. Cooking to his
>>> whims is just like what you were doing for your ex.

>> I'm sorry that you don't have anyone to cook for, Jill.

> You're so wrong. The difference is my SO has never refused to eat what
> I've cooked like your ex- did. You seem to gauge your life around having
> a man and food allergies, intolerances.

Nope. Obviously I have to gauge what I eat around that which I can and can't
eat. My eating needs are simple. I could pretty much live off of beans and
rice. I'll have your rice, thank you. Throw in a little popcorn, a tortilla
now and then, some cheese and salad and I'm good, at least in terms of my
wants. I do eat other things because those things don't necessarily make for
a balanced diet.

As for the man... I have plenty of them in my life. I do like having friends
and many of those are men. I can't help it. I just like men, in general.
Always have. Doesn't mean that I need to have a SO or even a romantic
interest. I'm good company, even to myself!

> I don't have to shop for special ingredients or make separate food for
> anyone. You're the one who seems to hook up with people who require
> special cooking requirements. Sorry, but I would NOT do that. I'd make
> him buy and cook that stuff himself. You don't know how to be independent
> without a man. That's really sad.

I don't *have* to either! I just like to do that. I get a certain
satisfaction out of making people happy. Obviously, you don't. Or I should
rephrase what I said to say that I get satisfaction from doing things for
others who are appreciative. I would prefer not to discuss my ex in any way
shape or form. There are reasons why he is my ex and I don't want to dwell
on them.

I am alone here in this house now, except for the cats. I am perfectly fine
with that. I am also fine with cooking for the gardener. It would certainly
make it easier for me if he would come into the house to eat. But for the
time being, that's not happening. And no, it has nothing to do with him and
me. We get along just fine. He came in here yesterday and we had a nice long
chat. You don't need to know the rest of it. But the mere fact that I'm not
telling you any more will no doubt bring on lots of speculation from some of
the folks here.

I'm actually doing really well, Jill. Had a super good day. And things will
only get better. That's the power of positivity for ya.

Oh and... My yard looks damned good! Gee... I might even make an OT post and
put up a pic of it one day. I'll bet that would send shivers down your
spine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Casa Fortuna" > wrote in message
news
> On 1/15/2018 4:40 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Oh not Bruce. Thanks to my tutelage, a number of people have caught on
>>> to Julie's quirks. My job is pretty well done. It took a few years and
>>> most people here have smartened up and seen her for what she is. You
>>> have been slow to catch on. You should just be happy that our snarky
>>> comments to and about Julie give you material to snipe at.

>> Bruce is fine. I would even cook for him!

> Your ability to treat this bullying as some kind of lark is simultaneously
> encouraging and yet flagrantly invites more of the same.
>
> Think about it.

Maybe that's how you see it.

Perhaps I see it as me having the ultimate power of them! They just can't
freaking shut up and boy do they look silly! Or maybe I don't see it that
way. Either way, I have bigger fish to fry. That's figuratively only I doubt
that I would ever fry a fish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 15:40:57 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>>> Oh not Bruce. Thanks to my tutelage, a number of people have caught on
>>> Julie's quirks. My job is pretty well done. It took a few years and most
>>> people here have smartened up and seen her for what she is. You have
>>> been
>>> slow to catch on. You should just be happy that our snarky comments to
>>> and
>>> about Julie give you material to snipe at.

>>Bruce is fine. I would even cook for him!

What would you like dear? I am fixing to make my shopping list. Uh oh. Now
McBiddy is gonna make something of this! My tablecloth is buttercream
colored. I have only the one. Would you prefer that or (dare I say it),
should we go with the bare table?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:

>> > They are't but there's an oddball thing in wikipedia on a type of
>> > grits made from hominy. I've never seen it before. Appears to be
>> > a slightly different treatment and not a common one where I am.
>> >
>> > Hominy here is distinctly different from grits.
>> >

>> Grits are always made from hominy. I suppose now you are going to say
>> that you didn't know that hominy was really corn!

> "Grits are a food made from corn (maize) that is ground into a coarse
> meal and then boiled. Hominy grits are a type of grits made from hominy
> (corn that has been treated with an alkali in a process called
> nixtamalization) with the germ removed." From wikipedia.
>
> Hominy grits are not the same as regular grits.
>
> They do not apparently taste the same either. What you are doing is
> similar to saying corn on the cob = corn starch. Yes, they both are
> corn but what is your point?

Well, perhaps you can get other kinds of grits where you live, but here the
only ones I've ever seen in any store are hominy grits.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 16:43:24 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>>On 2018-01-15 2:11 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> It's been years since I bought a can of hominy. Oh, and it comes in
>>> white or yellow. I seem to recall I was asked to try canned hominy here
>>> on RFC a long time ago by a former poster. I reported back, heat it up,
>>> add butter and it tastes like popcorn.

>>I have only had hominy once and I liked it. It was in Menudo that I had
>>in a restaurant in Colorado. There is chance that it is sold in the
>>Latino store in a nearby city, but I didn't see it when I was there. I
>>wasn't really looking for it, but I did score fresh soft corn tortillas.
>>I cannot imagine a canned version of it being good.

> I've never had it. Or grits. Or corn flour if that exists. I guess
> some corn products are very American. Interesting though.

We do love our corn. Corn pasta is quite good too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
news
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On 1/15/2018 1:15 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>> "cshenk" > wrote in message

>>> I like canned hominy if prepared in a pressure cooker, otherwise not.
>>>
>>> Cheri
>>>

>> Canned hominy is already cooked. Why would you need to pressure cook it?
>>
>> It's been years since I bought a can of hominy. Oh, and it comes in
>> white or yellow. I seem to recall I was asked to try canned hominy here
>> on RFC a long time ago by a former poster. I reported back, heat it up,
>> add butter and it tastes like popcorn.
>>
>> Jill

> To soften it. I like it softened. I usually brown some bacon and onion in
> the pressure cooker then add the hominy and some chicken stock, I love it
> like that.

I have a can of hominy and am going to make it with bacon. Years ago my mom
sent me a recipe for the Crock-Pot. Can't make that now as it did have egg
in it. I think it also had milk, cheese and of course bacon. Not sure about
the onion but my mom hates onion so probably not. I've seen similar recipes
online. Not sure how the gardener feels about hominy. He was eyeing the can
suspiciously. Hehehe. Most people in this area have never eaten it or won't
try it. But he is part Mexican so perhaps he is familiar with it.

REC salmon croquettes piedmont General Cooking 5 13-05-2010 04:45 PM
Chicken Croquettes?? Jeanne Burton General Cooking 12 07-01-2010 07:18 PM
Egg Croquettes kuyabayu Recipes 1 07-07-2009 06:27 PM
Ham Croquettes Chef R W Miller Recipes (moderated) 0 28-04-2007 04:04 PM