Old 11-03-2016, 12:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Corned Beef

These are my instructions for preparing packaged corned beef, it
appears in the R.F.C. cookbook:

---= Corned Beef =---

Choose good grade of thin-cut corned beef (I prefer Nathan's).

Cook in the largest pot you own. Seriously, cook in lots of water.
First, rinse corned beef and and discard spices if present (old spices
were used up), or save spice packet if present. Start in cold water.
Bring to the boil (uncovered). Simmer 1/2 hour, dump water! Yes,
discarding water removes excess salt/nitrites. Okay, now the actual
cooking begins. Start in cold water (again? yes, again!). Add spice
packet (if none exists or since you dumped the first batch, add new
pickling spices. Bring to the boil, lower heat to low simmer. Simmer
aproximately 1 hour and add peeled carrots (whole) and unpeeled
potatoes (whole), bring to simmer again and add cabbage wedges. Simmer
til veggies are tender and remove. Continue simmering til corned beef
is tender yet firm; test with fork (your forking may vary). Remove
corned beef to roasting pan fat side up, cover liberally with brown
sugar, tent loosely with foil, and place in 325 F oven for 30-45
minutes. Remove corned beef from oven (now place veggies in oven to
reheat). Let corned beef rest uncovered 15 minutes. With sharp knife
slice thinly accross grain, and serve with veggies, mustard, and beer.
Getting ready:
http://i63.tinypic.com/20ie2oy.jpg
Beginning to simmer four pieces of flat cut corned beef, really
doesn't pay to cook less as corned beef cooks down to less than half
its starting weight and it requires several hours of cooking:
http://i64.tinypic.com/2wpuoh0.jpg

Old 11-03-2016, 06:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 21:47:43 -0500, Rick Daly
wrote:

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 18:28:25 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:

How do I keep my corned beef from curling up and not staying nice and flat. It's
a yearly problem.

Larger pot?

Old 11-03-2016, 10:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks. I have the RFC cookery book. Nancy Young sent me one many years
ago. Time for me to go through it again.

I don't mind if the size decreases when it is cooked. It will be an
experiment for me. But first the salting

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 11-03-2016, 12:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 09:17:48 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

I don't mind if the size decreases when it is cooked.

You'll be shocked by how much it shrinks.

--

sf

Old 11-03-2016, 03:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks sqwertz.

How do I keep my corned beef from curling up and not staying nice and flat. It's
a yearly problem.

Crosshatch the fat cap - cut slits into the fat deep enough that it
just barely brushes the meat. There is a layer of sinew between the
fat cap and the meat that you need to score. And don't cook at too
high a temp.

-sw

Old 11-03-2016, 03:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Boiled meat gives me the shitz.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I don't mind if the size decreases when it is cooked.

You'll be shocked by how much it shrinks.

If, as I recall somewhere in this or another thread on the same topic,
she bought a 3 lb piece of brisket to corn, she'll be lucky to wind up
with 1 pound of meat by the time it's cooked to tender.

Jill
Old 11-03-2016, 06:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I don't mind if the size decreases when it is cooked.

You'll be shocked by how much it shrinks.

All part of the experiment In case you missed it, I copied the Ruhlman
recipe and will be using that, sans the sodium nitrate which is optional. I
was really pleased to see that Grey? We will see how much it matters.
If the flavour is good ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 11-03-2016, 07:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 17:45:39 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I don't mind if the size decreases when it is cooked.

You'll be shocked by how much it shrinks.

All part of the experiment In case you missed it, I copied the Ruhlman
recipe and will be using that, sans the sodium nitrate which is optional. I
was really pleased to see that Grey? We will see how much it matters.
If the flavour is good ...

It's a lenghty proccess to corn beef... and then with cooking it can
shrink by 2/3... hardly worth the time/trouble for measly amounts. I
doubt you'll enjoy grey corned beef, wouldn't matter to a dog but
people eat with their eyes. Here's a recipe:
http://www.alliedkenco.com/pdf/corn%...0-%20zachs.pdf
Be careful with meat curing, done incorrectly it can make people very
sick, even kill you... I strongly suggest you obtain a copy of Rytek
Kutas' book:
http://www.alliedkenco.com/bookgreat...eatcuring.aspx

Old 11-03-2016, 08:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 17:45:39 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

That last link is very interesting, thanks!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 12-03-2016, 09:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I don't mind if the size decreases when it is cooked.

You'll be shocked by how much it shrinks.

All part of the experiment In case you missed it, I copied the Ruhlman
recipe and will be using that, sans the sodium nitrate which is optional. I
was really pleased to see that Grey? We will see how much it matters.
If the flavour is good ...

I'm struggling to figure out where the flavor will come from if you
don't use pickling spices or celery. Did you see the recipe for
pickling spice at the bottom of the page? It doesn't call for very
much dried pepper or mustard seeds. They don't = "hot", and a flavor
component will be missing if you leave them out. Can you borrow some
from a friend or buy them and give away what's left?

Tea balls are the usual way to entrap them for cooking, but I saw an
idea yesterday that suggested using a coffee filter. Those are always
ready to go, even when the tea ball is in use.

--

sf
Old 12-03-2016, 12:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I don't mind if the size decreases when it is cooked.

You'll be shocked by how much it shrinks.

All part of the experiment In case you missed it, I copied the Ruhlman
recipe and will be using that, sans the sodium nitrate which is optional.
was really pleased to see that Grey? We will see how much it matters.
If the flavour is good ...

I'm struggling to figure out where the flavor will come from if you
don't use pickling spices or celery. Did you see the recipe for
pickling spice at the bottom of the page? It doesn't call for very
much dried pepper or mustard seeds. They don't = "hot", and a flavor
component will be missing if you leave them out. Can you borrow some
from a friend or buy them and give away what's left?

I will put in some pickling spices. I'll check out the ingredients list
before I buy As for the celery? Nah.

Tea balls are the usual way to entrap them for cooking, but I saw an
idea yesterday that suggested using a coffee filter. Those are always
ready to go, even when the tea ball is in use.

That is a good idea! I have a tea ball, thanks

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 12-03-2016, 04:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 11:52:11 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

I'm struggling to figure out where the flavor will come from if you
don't use pickling spices or celery. Did you see the recipe for
pickling spice at the bottom of the page? It doesn't call for very
much dried pepper or mustard seeds. They don't = "hot", and a flavor
component will be missing if you leave them out. Can you borrow some
from a friend or buy them and give away what's left?

I will put in some pickling spices. I'll check out the ingredients list
before I buy As for the celery? Nah.

Tea balls are the usual way to entrap them for cooking, but I saw an
idea yesterday that suggested using a coffee filter. Those are always
ready to go, even when the tea ball is in use.

That is a good idea! I have a tea ball, thanks

I ALWAYS add the packet of pickling spice that comes with, then add more,
usually in a large tea ball, IF I remember.

I'm not that adverse to scraping a bit of spice off before eating though.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I'm struggling to figure out where the flavor will come from if you
don't use pickling spices or celery. Did you see the recipe for
pickling spice at the bottom of the page? It doesn't call for very
much dried pepper or mustard seeds. They don't = "hot", and a flavor
component will be missing if you leave them out. Can you borrow some
from a friend or buy them and give away what's left?

I will put in some pickling spices. I'll check out the ingredients list
before I buy As for the celery? Nah.

Tea balls are the usual way to entrap them for cooking, but I saw an
idea yesterday that suggested using a coffee filter. Those are always
ready to go, even when the tea ball is in use.

That is a good idea! I have a tea ball, thanks

I ALWAYS add the packet of pickling spice that comes with, then add more,
usually in a large tea ball, IF I remember.

Though one has to be a bit careful with the type of pickling spice. Some
years ago, I wanted to pickle some onions but the only spice blend
available
here was for making dill pickles as there is a large population of people
of Ukrainian and Polish descent. I had to make up my own blend that wasn't
entirely successful. Pickling spice blends in the UK are (or were until
recently) for pickling onions.
Graham