Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Corned Beef

These are my instructions for preparing packaged corned beef, it
appears in the R.F.C. cookbook:

---= Corned Beef =---

Choose good grade of thin-cut corned beef (I prefer Nathan's).

Cook in the largest pot you own. Seriously, cook in lots of water.
First, rinse corned beef and and discard spices if present (old spices
were used up), or save spice packet if present. Start in cold water.
Bring to the boil (uncovered). Simmer 1/2 hour, dump water! Yes,
discarding water removes excess salt/nitrites. Okay, now the actual
cooking begins. Start in cold water (again? yes, again!). Add spice
packet (if none exists or since you dumped the first batch, add new
pickling spices. Bring to the boil, lower heat to low simmer. Simmer
aproximately 1 hour and add peeled carrots (whole) and unpeeled
potatoes (whole), bring to simmer again and add cabbage wedges. Simmer
til veggies are tender and remove. Continue simmering til corned beef
is tender yet firm; test with fork (your forking may vary). Remove
corned beef to roasting pan fat side up, cover liberally with brown
sugar, tent loosely with foil, and place in 325 F oven for 30-45
minutes. Remove corned beef from oven (now place veggies in oven to
reheat). Let corned beef rest uncovered 15 minutes. With sharp knife
slice thinly accross grain, and serve with veggies, mustard, and beer.
Getting ready:
http://i63.tinypic.com/20ie2oy.jpg
Beginning to simmer four pieces of flat cut corned beef, really
doesn't pay to cook less as corned beef cooks down to less than half
its starting weight and it requires several hours of cooking:
http://i64.tinypic.com/2wpuoh0.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 18:28:25 -0500, Brooklyn1 > wrote:

How do I keep my corned beef from curling up and not staying nice and flat. It's
a yearly problem.

>These are my instructions for preparing packaged corned beef, it
>appears in the R.F.C. cookbook:
>
>---= Corned Beef =---
>
>Choose good grade of thin-cut corned beef (I prefer Nathan's).
>
>Cook in the largest pot you own. Seriously, cook in lots of water.
>First, rinse corned beef and and discard spices if present (old spices
>were used up), or save spice packet if present. Start in cold water.
>Bring to the boil (uncovered). Simmer 1/2 hour, dump water! Yes,
>discarding water removes excess salt/nitrites. Okay, now the actual
>cooking begins. Start in cold water (again? yes, again!). Add spice
>packet (if none exists or since you dumped the first batch, add new
>pickling spices. Bring to the boil, lower heat to low simmer. Simmer
>aproximately 1 hour and add peeled carrots (whole) and unpeeled
>potatoes (whole), bring to simmer again and add cabbage wedges. Simmer
>til veggies are tender and remove. Continue simmering til corned beef
>is tender yet firm; test with fork (your forking may vary). Remove
>corned beef to roasting pan fat side up, cover liberally with brown
>sugar, tent loosely with foil, and place in 325 F oven for 30-45
>minutes. Remove corned beef from oven (now place veggies in oven to
>reheat). Let corned beef rest uncovered 15 minutes. With sharp knife
>slice thinly accross grain, and serve with veggies, mustard, and beer.
>Getting ready:
>http://i63.tinypic.com/20ie2oy.jpg
>Beginning to simmer four pieces of flat cut corned beef, really
>doesn't pay to cook less as corned beef cooks down to less than half
>its starting weight and it requires several hours of cooking:
>http://i64.tinypic.com/2wpuoh0.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 21:47:43 -0500, Rick Daly >
wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 18:28:25 -0500, Brooklyn1 > wrote:
>
>How do I keep my corned beef from curling up and not staying nice and flat. It's
>a yearly problem.

Larger pot?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> These are my instructions for preparing packaged corned beef, it
> appears in the R.F.C. cookbook:
>
> ---= Corned Beef =---
>
> Choose good grade of thin-cut corned beef (I prefer Nathan's).
>
> Cook in the largest pot you own. Seriously, cook in lots of water.
> First, rinse corned beef and and discard spices if present (old spices
> were used up), or save spice packet if present. Start in cold water.
> Bring to the boil (uncovered). Simmer 1/2 hour, dump water! Yes,
> discarding water removes excess salt/nitrites. Okay, now the actual
> cooking begins. Start in cold water (again? yes, again!). Add spice
> packet (if none exists or since you dumped the first batch, add new
> pickling spices. Bring to the boil, lower heat to low simmer. Simmer
> aproximately 1 hour and add peeled carrots (whole) and unpeeled
> potatoes (whole), bring to simmer again and add cabbage wedges. Simmer
> til veggies are tender and remove. Continue simmering til corned beef
> is tender yet firm; test with fork (your forking may vary). Remove
> corned beef to roasting pan fat side up, cover liberally with brown
> sugar, tent loosely with foil, and place in 325 F oven for 30-45
> minutes. Remove corned beef from oven (now place veggies in oven to
> reheat). Let corned beef rest uncovered 15 minutes. With sharp knife
> slice thinly accross grain, and serve with veggies, mustard, and beer.
> Getting ready:
> http://i63.tinypic.com/20ie2oy.jpg
> Beginning to simmer four pieces of flat cut corned beef, really
> doesn't pay to cook less as corned beef cooks down to less than half
> its starting weight and it requires several hours of cooking:
> http://i64.tinypic.com/2wpuoh0.jpg

Thanks. I have the RFC cookery book. Nancy Young sent me one many years
ago. Time for me to go through it again.

I don't mind if the size decreases when it is cooked. It will be an
experiment for me. But first the salting

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 09:17:48 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> I don't mind if the size decreases when it is cooked.

You'll be shocked by how much it shrinks.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks sqwertz.

>> How do I keep my corned beef from curling up and not staying nice and flat. It's
>> a yearly problem.

>Crosshatch the fat cap - cut slits into the fat deep enough that it
>just barely brushes the meat. There is a layer of sinew between the
>fat cap and the meat that you need to score. And don't cook at too
>high a temp.
>
>-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boiled meat gives me the shitz.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/11/2016 6:20 AM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 09:17:48 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
>> I don't mind if the size decreases when it is cooked.

> You'll be shocked by how much it shrinks.

If, as I recall somewhere in this or another thread on the same topic,
she bought a 3 lb piece of brisket to corn, she'll be lucky to wind up
with 1 pound of meat by the time it's cooked to tender.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 09:17:48 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
>> I don't mind if the size decreases when it is cooked.

> You'll be shocked by how much it shrinks.

All part of the experiment In case you missed it, I copied the Ruhlman
recipe and will be using that, sans the sodium nitrate which is optional. I
was really pleased to see that Grey? We will see how much it matters.
If the flavour is good ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 17:45:39 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 09:17:48 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I don't mind if the size decreases when it is cooked.

>> You'll be shocked by how much it shrinks.

>All part of the experiment In case you missed it, I copied the Ruhlman
>recipe and will be using that, sans the sodium nitrate which is optional. I
>was really pleased to see that Grey? We will see how much it matters.
>If the flavour is good ...

It's a lenghty proccess to corn beef... and then with cooking it can
shrink by 2/3... hardly worth the time/trouble for measly amounts. I
doubt you'll enjoy grey corned beef, wouldn't matter to a dog but
people eat with their eyes. Here's a recipe:
http://www.alliedkenco.com/pdf/corn%...0-%20zachs.pdf
Be careful with meat curing, done incorrectly it can make people very
sick, even kill you... I strongly suggest you obtain a copy of Rytek
Kutas' book:
http://www.alliedkenco.com/bookgreat...eatcuring.aspx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 17:45:39 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"sf" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> You'll be shocked by how much it shrinks.

>>All part of the experiment In case you missed it, I copied the Ruhlman
>>recipe and will be using that, sans the sodium nitrate which is optional.
>>was really pleased to see that Grey? We will see how much it matters.
>>If the flavour is good ...

> It's a lenghty proccess to corn beef... and then with cooking it can
> shrink by 2/3... hardly worth the time/trouble for measly amounts. I
> doubt you'll enjoy grey corned beef, wouldn't matter to a dog but
> people eat with their eyes. Here's a recipe:
> http://www.alliedkenco.com/pdf/corn%...0-%20zachs.pdf
> Be careful with meat curing, done incorrectly it can make people very
> sick, even kill you... I strongly suggest you obtain a copy of Rytek
> Kutas' book:
> http://www.alliedkenco.com/bookgreat...eatcuring.aspx

That last link is very interesting, thanks!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 09:17:48 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I don't mind if the size decreases when it is cooked.

> > You'll be shocked by how much it shrinks.

> All part of the experiment In case you missed it, I copied the Ruhlman
> recipe and will be using that, sans the sodium nitrate which is optional. I
> was really pleased to see that Grey? We will see how much it matters.
> If the flavour is good ...

I'm struggling to figure out where the flavor will come from if you
don't use pickling spices or celery. Did you see the recipe for
pickling spice at the bottom of the page? It doesn't call for very
much dried pepper or mustard seeds. They don't = "hot", and a flavor
component will be missing if you leave them out. Can you borrow some
from a friend or buy them and give away what's left?

Tea balls are the usual way to entrap them for cooking, but I saw an
idea yesterday that suggested using a coffee filter. Those are always
ready to go, even when the tea ball is in use.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 17:45:39 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message

>> > You'll be shocked by how much it shrinks.

>> All part of the experiment In case you missed it, I copied the Ruhlman
>> recipe and will be using that, sans the sodium nitrate which is optional.
>> was really pleased to see that Grey? We will see how much it matters.
>> If the flavour is good ...

> I'm struggling to figure out where the flavor will come from if you
> don't use pickling spices or celery. Did you see the recipe for
> pickling spice at the bottom of the page? It doesn't call for very
> much dried pepper or mustard seeds. They don't = "hot", and a flavor
> component will be missing if you leave them out. Can you borrow some
> from a friend or buy them and give away what's left?

I will put in some pickling spices. I'll check out the ingredients list
before I buy As for the celery? Nah.

> Tea balls are the usual way to entrap them for cooking, but I saw an
> idea yesterday that suggested using a coffee filter. Those are always
> ready to go, even when the tea ball is in use.

That is a good idea! I have a tea ball, thanks

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 11:52:11 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>> I'm struggling to figure out where the flavor will come from if you
>> don't use pickling spices or celery. Did you see the recipe for
>> pickling spice at the bottom of the page? It doesn't call for very
>> much dried pepper or mustard seeds. They don't = "hot", and a flavor
>> component will be missing if you leave them out. Can you borrow some
>> from a friend or buy them and give away what's left?

>I will put in some pickling spices. I'll check out the ingredients list
>before I buy As for the celery? Nah.
>

>> Tea balls are the usual way to entrap them for cooking, but I saw an
>> idea yesterday that suggested using a coffee filter. Those are always
>> ready to go, even when the tea ball is in use.

>That is a good idea! I have a tea ball, thanks

I ALWAYS add the packet of pickling spice that comes with, then add more,
usually in a large tea ball, IF I remember.

I'm not that adverse to scraping a bit of spice off before eating though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/03/2016 8:58 AM, The New Other Guy wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 11:52:11 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
>>> I'm struggling to figure out where the flavor will come from if you
>>> don't use pickling spices or celery. Did you see the recipe for
>>> pickling spice at the bottom of the page? It doesn't call for very
>>> much dried pepper or mustard seeds. They don't = "hot", and a flavor
>>> component will be missing if you leave them out. Can you borrow some
>>> from a friend or buy them and give away what's left?

>> I will put in some pickling spices. I'll check out the ingredients list
>> before I buy As for the celery? Nah.
>>

>>> Tea balls are the usual way to entrap them for cooking, but I saw an
>>> idea yesterday that suggested using a coffee filter. Those are always
>>> ready to go, even when the tea ball is in use.

>> That is a good idea! I have a tea ball, thanks

> I ALWAYS add the packet of pickling spice that comes with, then add more,
> usually in a large tea ball, IF I remember.

Though one has to be a bit careful with the type of pickling spice. Some
years ago, I wanted to pickle some onions but the only spice blend
available
here was for making dill pickles as there is a large population of people
of Ukrainian and Polish descent. I had to make up my own blend that wasn't
entirely successful. Pickling spice blends in the UK are (or were until
recently) for pickling onions.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
> On 12/03/2016 8:58 AM, The New Other Guy wrote:

>>> I will put in some pickling spices. I'll check out the ingredients list
>>> before I buy As for the celery? Nah.

>>> That is a good idea! I have a tea ball, thanks

>> I ALWAYS add the packet of pickling spice that comes with, then add more,
>> usually in a large tea ball, IF I remember.
>>

> Though one has to be a bit careful with the type of pickling spice. Some
> years ago, I wanted to pickle some onions but the only spice blend
> available
> here was for making dill pickles as there is a large population of people
> of Ukrainian and Polish descent. I had to make up my own blend that wasn't
> entirely successful. Pickling spice blends in the UK are (or were until
> recently) for pickling onions.

That is what I have seen. What do you think about corning beef? Do I need
that?
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The New Other Guy" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 11:52:11 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
>>> I'm struggling to figure out where the flavor will come from if you
>>> don't use pickling spices or celery. Did you see the recipe for
>>> pickling spice at the bottom of the page? It doesn't call for very
>>> much dried pepper or mustard seeds. They don't = "hot", and a flavor
>>> component will be missing if you leave them out. Can you borrow some
>>> from a friend or buy them and give away what's left?

>>I will put in some pickling spices. I'll check out the ingredients list
>>before I buy As for the celery? Nah.
>>

>>> Tea balls are the usual way to entrap them for cooking, but I saw an
>>> idea yesterday that suggested using a coffee filter. Those are always
>>> ready to go, even when the tea ball is in use.

>>That is a good idea! I have a tea ball, thanks

> I ALWAYS add the packet of pickling spice that comes with, then add more,
> usually in a large tea ball, IF I remember.

"add the packet of pickling spice that comes with" ... You are given packets
of spice when you buy brisket??

> I'm not that adverse to scraping a bit of spice off before eating though.

I am hoping it will all stay in the tea ball.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/03/2016 10:59 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "graham" > wrote in message
>> On 12/03/2016 8:58 AM, The New Other Guy wrote:

>>> I ALWAYS add the packet of pickling spice that comes with, then add
>>> more,
>>> usually in a large tea ball, IF I remember.
>>>

>> Though one has to be a bit careful with the type of pickling spice. Some
>> years ago, I wanted to pickle some onions but the only spice blend
>> available
>> here was for making dill pickles as there is a large population of people
>> of Ukrainian and Polish descent. I had to make up my own blend that
>> wasn't
>> entirely successful. Pickling spice blends in the UK are (or were until
>> recently) for pickling onions.

> That is what I have seen. What do you think about corning beef? Do I need
> that?

I don't know! I have never felt the urge to salt meats. Furthermore, I
now buy pickled onions - my needs are small as I live alone.
My comment "or were until recently" was a reference to the huge numbers
of E.Europeans in the UK now.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
> On 12/03/2016 10:59 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Though one has to be a bit careful with the type of pickling spice. Some
>>> years ago, I wanted to pickle some onions but the only spice blend
>>> available
>>> here was for making dill pickles as there is a large population of
>>> people
>>> of Ukrainian and Polish descent. I had to make up my own blend that
>>> wasn't
>>> entirely successful. Pickling spice blends in the UK are (or were until
>>> recently) for pickling onions.

>> That is what I have seen. What do you think about corning beef? Do I
>> need
>> that?

> I don't know! I have never felt the urge to salt meats. Furthermore, I now
> buy pickled onions - my needs are small as I live alone.

I don't pickle onions any more either. Not worth it just for me as I am the
only one now who likes them. As for salting the meat, I just want to
experiment since I've never done it. If he doesn't like it I won't bother
again, but it is something new and I will enjoy doing it

> My comment "or were until recently" was a reference to the huge numbers of
> E.Europeans in the UK now.

Ok

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 18:00:02 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"The New Other Guy" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>I will put in some pickling spices. I'll check out the ingredients list
>>>before I buy As for the celery? Nah.

>>>That is a good idea! I have a tea ball, thanks

>> I ALWAYS add the packet of pickling spice that comes with, then add more,
>> usually in a large tea ball, IF I remember.

>"add the packet of pickling spice that comes with" ... You are given packets
>of spice when you buy brisket??

Some brands of corned beef have the packet of pickling spices in the
sealed package, with some brands the spices are just floating about.

>> I'm not that adverse to scraping a bit of spice off before eating though.

>I am hoping it will all stay in the tea ball.

The spices are easy to scrape off the meat after cooking but most
often corned beef is cooked with cabbage and the spices are near
impossible to remove from between the cabbage leaves so the tea ball
is a good way to avoid the mess. I have several tea balls of
different types/sizes, they have very secure closures.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 18:00:02 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"The New Other Guy" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> I ALWAYS add the packet of pickling spice that comes with, then add
>>> more,
>>> usually in a large tea ball, IF I remember.

>>"add the packet of pickling spice that comes with" ... You are given
>>packets
>>of spice when you buy brisket??

> Some brands of corned beef have the packet of pickling spices in the
> sealed package, with some brands the spices are just floating about.

But I won't be buying Corned Beef. I will be buying Brisket and turning it
into Corned Beef.

>>> I'm not that adverse to scraping a bit of spice off before eating
>>> though.

>>I am hoping it will all stay in the tea ball.

> The spices are easy to scrape off the meat after cooking but most
> often corned beef is cooked with cabbage and the spices are near
> impossible to remove from between the cabbage leaves so the tea ball
> is a good way to avoid the mess. I have several tea balls of
> different types/sizes, they have very secure closures.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 10:49:16 -0700, graham > wrote:

>Though one has to be a bit careful with the type of pickling spice. Some
>years ago, I wanted to pickle some onions but the only spice blend
>available
>here was for making dill pickles as there is a large population of people
>of Ukrainian and Polish descent. I had to make up my own blend that wasn't
>entirely successful. Pickling spice blends in the UK are (or were until
>recently) for pickling onions.

I use a commercial blend, simply called 'pickling spice'.

The one I have now is McCormick.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"add the packet of pickling spice that comes with" ... You are given packets
>of spice when you buy brisket??

Corned beef generally comes with a small bag of extra pickling spice
for those who want it a bit stronger. I like mine MUCH stronger.

I also use pickling spice for boiled potatoes, and veggies as well.

>> I'm not that adverse to scraping a bit of spice off before eating though.

>I am hoping it will all stay in the tea ball.

All good, IF you remember the tea ball. I get so anxious and in a hurry
when I'm getting close to corned beef dinner. Like today.
But I DID remember this time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 19:29:43 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 18:00:02 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:

>>>"add the packet of pickling spice that comes with" ... You are given
>>>packets
>>>of spice when you buy brisket??

>> Some brands of corned beef have the packet of pickling spices in the
>> sealed package, with some brands the spices are just floating about.

>But I won't be buying Corned Beef. I will be buying Brisket and turning it
>into Corned Beef.

Read to the end. . .

>>>I am hoping it will all stay in the tea ball.

>> The spices are easy to scrape off the meat after cooking but most
>> often corned beef is cooked with cabbage and the spices are near
>> impossible to remove from between the cabbage leaves so the tea ball
>> is a good way to avoid the mess. I have several tea balls of
>> different types/sizes, they have very secure closures.

If using pickling spices the same suggestions apply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The New Other Guy" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 18:00:02 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
>>"add the packet of pickling spice that comes with" ... You are given
>>packets
>>of spice when you buy brisket??

> Corned beef generally comes with a small bag of extra pickling spice
> for those who want it a bit stronger. I like mine MUCH stronger.

But ... I am not buying Corned Beef!!! I am buying a piece of Brisket with
which I intend to make Corned Beef ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/12/2016 11:35 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "The New Other Guy" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 18:00:02 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> "add the packet of pickling spice that comes with" ... You are given
>>> packets
>>> of spice when you buy brisket??

>> Corned beef generally comes with a small bag of extra pickling spice
>> for those who want it a bit stronger. I like mine MUCH stronger.

> But ... I am not buying Corned Beef!!! I am buying a piece of Brisket with
> which I intend to make Corned Beef ...

I can see what your problem is. You should have titled this topic: I AM
NOT BUYING CORNED BEEF!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 3/12/2016 11:35 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "The New Other Guy" > wrote in message

>>> Corned beef generally comes with a small bag of extra pickling spice
>>> for those who want it a bit stronger. I like mine MUCH stronger.

>> But ... I am not buying Corned Beef!!! I am buying a piece of Brisket
>> with
>> which I intend to make Corned Beef ...
>>

> I can see what your problem is. You should have titled this topic: I AM
> NOT BUYING CORNED BEEF!!!

LOL

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 3/12/2016 11:35 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> >

> >"The New Other Guy" > wrote in message
> > > On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 18:00:02 -0000, "Ophelia"

> > > Corned beef generally comes with a small bag of extra pickling
> > > spice for those who want it a bit stronger. I like mine MUCH
> > > stronger.

> > But ... I am not buying Corned Beef!!! I am buying a piece of
> > Brisket with which I intend to make Corned Beef ...
> >

> I can see what your problem is. You should have titled this topic: I
> AM NOT BUYING CORNED BEEF!!!

That or read the recipes I sent that she, it seems didnt? Dunno, never
got a reply. Maybe she has a strange reader issue with me in a kill
file or something?

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Corned Beef
Categories: Beef
Yield: 16 Servings

8 lb Beef, bottom round, chuck
-or brisket
1 1/3 c Kosher salt
3 tb Salt
1 ts Sage
2 ts Thyme
1 ts Paprika
2 ts Allspice
4 Bay leaves
1/2 c Carrots; chopped
1/2 c Turnips; chopped
1/2 c Onion; minced

Combine the spices and rub into meat. Place the meat and the chopped
vegetables in a heavy zip-lock bag, squeeze out as much air as
possible and seal the bag. Place the bag in the refrigerator, turn
and massage daily for at least two weeks. Before cooking the meat,
soak in water for at 24 hours to remove the salt. To cook, place the
meat in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, skim, and
ten add carrots, onions, celery and garlic as desired. Cook for 3 to
3 1/2 hours or until tender. Serve with vegetables that have been
steamed or cooked in some of the pot liquer. Posted to MC-Recipe
Digest V1 #176

Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 06:31:00 -0300

From: Calvin Deiterich >

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Corned Beef 1
Categories: Beef, Jewish/kosh
Yield: 1 Servings

5 lb Beef brisket
4 qt Water
2 c Coarse salt
2 c Brown sugar
1 tb Juniper berries
2 ts Allspice berries
2 Bay leaves
6 Garlic cloves; peeled

Using fork, pierce the meat all over. In a mixing bowl, whisk the
remaining ingredients together until the sugar dissolves. Pour the
brine over the meat, cover, and refrigerate for 10 days. Remove the
meat and rinse thoroughly. Place the meat in a stock pot and cover
with water. Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce the heat. Simmer
for 1 hour. Pour off the water, cover with cold water and repeat
cooking process until the beef is very tender. Remove from water.
Cool the meat and slice paper thin. To make a reuben: On both slices
of rye sourdough bread, spread Russian dressing. Layer the meat,
cheese and sauerkraut between the bread. Spread butter on both sides
of bread and place on a hot grill. Grill for 2 minutes on each side.
Remove from the heat and slice.

Yield: 4 pounds of corned beef

Per serving: 8218 Calories; 603g Fat (67% calories from fat); 386g
Protein; 293g Carbohydrate; 1657mg Cholesterol; 182166mg Sodium

Recipe by: ESSENCE OF EMERIL EE2357

Posted to MC-Recipe Digest V1 #867 by shade > on
Oct 26, 1997

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Corned Beef (Homemade - No Chemicals)
Categories: Beef
Yield: 8 Servings

1 4 lb beef brisket, trimmed
4 qt Hot water
1 1/2 lb Salt
2 Bay leaves
12 Peppercorns
2 Garlic cloves
4 ts Pickling spice

Wash and dry timmed beef. Rub with 3 to 4 tablespoons salt. Dissolve
remainder of salt in hot water. Place beef in enameled or glass pot
or stone crock and pour salted water over it. Cool. Stir in bay leaf,
6 of the peppercorns, 1 clove of garlic mashed and 2 tsp of pickling
spice.

Weight meat with plate or other heavy object so that the meat is
completely covered by the brine. Cover pot and let sit at room
temperature for 48 hours. (Note: the meat will not be pink as it is
in commercial corned beef because there is no sodium nitrate it it.)

TO COOK: Wash meat to remove brine, place in pot with boiling water to
cover. Add 6 peppercorns, 1 clove mashed garlic, and 2 tsp pickling
spice. Cover and simmer 4 hours or until tender.

From Gemini's MASSIVE MealMaster collection at www.synapse.com/~gemini

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Corned Beef (How To Cure Your Own)
Categories: Meats, Sausage
Yield: 1 Servings

5 lb Boneless Beef Roast*
2 tb Sugar
1/2 c Table salt
2 qt Water
2 cl Garlic; peeled & sliced
2 tb Pickling spices
1 tb Dry minced onion

MMMMM--------------------SANDWICH INGREDIENTS-------------------------
3 cn Light Beer; (12 oz. each)
1/4 c Bottled Italian Dressing
10 Peppercorns; (optional)

* about 10" long, 4 to 5" wide and about 2" thick with just a thin
covering of fat on one side.

Place meat in an accommodating glass or plastic refrigerator
container. Mix all remaining ingredients together in saucepan or bowl
& pour over meat. Seal tightly with lid or plastic wrap, secured with
rubber band. Refrigerate meat mixture for 7 days. Once a day turn
meat over in marinade. On 7th day, remove from marinade & soak meat
in cold water, covered, from water, draining it well.

Prepare for sandwiches this way: Place drained, cured, beef roast in
an accommodating pot. Add beer, Italian Dressing & peppercorns and
bring to boil. Cover & reduce heat to gentle simmer for 2 1/2 hours.
Remove from beer mixture. Add only 1 cup of beer mixture to beef in a
shallow, small oblong roasting pan. Seal in plastic wrap &
refrigerate several hours or overnight. Place in oven to bake at 350
degrees F for 1 1/2 hours, sealing pan in foil. Cool & slice across
grain for sandwiches. Slices best when well chilled. Freeze in family
portions, sliced, to thaw & serve in 3 months. Refrigerate
well-wrapped, to use in 4 or 5 days. Allow 1/2 lb. per serving.

OPTIONAL BRINE: Drain juice from bottled dill pickles (any kind),
mixing in equal parts with Dry Vermouth, sufficient to submerge beef
instead of mixture given above.

Source: Gloria Pitzers' Secret Fast Food Recipes 1976 reprinted 1985
From: Sandy May Date: 15 Jan 96 Posted to recipelu-digest by "Diane
Geary" > on Mar 12, 1998

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Home-Cured Corned Beef
Categories: Preserving, Beef, Sausage
Yield: 4 Servings

4 lb Beef roast
4 tb Curing salt
6 Garlic cloves; peeled
3 Bay leaves
1/8 ts Whole cloves; (3)
2 tb Whole coriander seeds
2 tb Whole peppercorns
1 tb Whole mustard seeds
1/4 c Brown sugar

Combine garlic, bay leaves, cloves, coriander seeds, peppercorns, and
mustard seed in blender. Blend until coarsely chopped. Add brown
sugar. Set aside. Trim roast (venison, beef, etc.), weigh and measure
1 level Tablespoon of curing salt per pound. Add measured curing salt
to spice mixture you set aside. Rub spice mixture into roast,
pressing in well. Measure roast at thickest point. Place into heavy
freezing bag and close securely. Place in shallow pan in
refrigerator. Cure 5 days per inch of measured thickness, turning bag
daily. At end of curing time wrap and freeze. To cook: Drain juices,
if desired rinse thoroughly under cold running water to remove extra
salt and spice pieces, wrap in foil and bake sealed at 300 degrees 2
to 3 hours or until tender. Or use in any corned beef recipe. From:
Dorothy Flatman Posted to recipelu-digest by "Diane Geary"
> on Mar 12, 1998

MMMMM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 21:35:07 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"The New Other Guy" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 18:00:02 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>"add the packet of pickling spice that comes with" ... You are given
>>>packets
>>>of spice when you buy brisket??

>> Corned beef generally comes with a small bag of extra pickling spice
>> for those who want it a bit stronger. I like mine MUCH stronger.

>But ... I am not buying Corned Beef!!! I am buying a piece of Brisket with
>which I intend to make Corned Beef ...

I know, but that was to clarify, packet of spices WITH corned beef.

Otherwise, because you'll certainly need more than a 'packet' to make your
own (depends on your taste), so buy a bottle or bag of the spices: Amazon
has much to choose from, most major grocery stores have at least 1 brand
in their spice area.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/12/2016 12:19 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message

>>> But ... I am not buying Corned Beef!!! I am buying a piece of
>>> Brisket with
>>> which I intend to make Corned Beef ...
>>>

>> I can see what your problem is. You should have titled this topic: I
>> AM NOT BUYING CORNED BEEF!!!

> LOL

I'm just trying to be helpful.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The New Other Guy" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 21:35:07 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"The New Other Guy" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Corned beef generally comes with a small bag of extra pickling spice
>>> for those who want it a bit stronger. I like mine MUCH stronger.

>>But ... I am not buying Corned Beef!!! I am buying a piece of Brisket
>>with
>>which I intend to make Corned Beef ...

> I know, but that was to clarify, packet of spices WITH corned beef.
>
> Otherwise, because you'll certainly need more than a 'packet' to make your
> own (depends on your taste), so buy a bottle or bag of the spices: Amazon
> has much to choose from, most major grocery stores have at least 1 brand
> in their spice area.

Not sure I will find what you suggest here in Scotland.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 3/12/2016 12:19 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> I can see what your problem is. You should have titled this topic: I
>>> AM NOT BUYING CORNED BEEF!!!

>> LOL
>>

> I'm just trying to be helpful.

As always ... ;p

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 22:48:51 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>Not sure I will find what you suggest here in Scotland.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...%2Caps%2 C537

Packets as small as 50 grams, up to multiple kilos.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> On 12/03/2016 10:59 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> >> Though one has to be a bit careful with the type of pickling spice. Some
> >> years ago, I wanted to pickle some onions but the only spice blend
> >> available
> >> here was for making dill pickles as there is a large population of people
> >> of Ukrainian and Polish descent. I had to make up my own blend that
> >> wasn't
> >> entirely successful. Pickling spice blends in the UK are (or were until
> >> recently) for pickling onions.

> > That is what I have seen. What do you think about corning beef? Do I need
> > that?

> I don't know! I have never felt the urge to salt meats. Furthermore, I
> now buy pickled onions - my needs are small as I live alone.
> My comment "or were until recently" was a reference to the huge numbers
> of E.Europeans in the UK now.
> Graham

Glasgow has a large population of Jewish people (with groceries
butchers and delis catering for them) and East Europeans (ditto).

There's absolutely no difficulty buying the spices for corned beef,
or, freshly cooked corned/salt beef.

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The New Other Guy" > wrote in message
news
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 22:48:51 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
>>Not sure I will find what you suggest here in Scotland.

> http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...%2Caps%2 C537
>
> Packets as small as 50 grams, up to multiple kilos.

Yes I know thanks It was a joke) LOL There will always be someone
rushing to correct me and it is fun watching for it <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "The New Other Guy" > wrote in message
> news
>> On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 22:48:51 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Not sure I will find what you suggest here in Scotland.

>> http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...%2Caps%2 C537
>>
>> Packets as small as 50 grams, up to multiple kilos.

> Yes I know thanks It was a joke) LOL There will always be someone
> rushing to correct me and it is fun watching for it <g>

Oh just to add, I wasn't referring to your kind help)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 17:45:39 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> > wrote:

> >> All part of the experiment In case you missed it, I copied the Ruhlman
> >> recipe and will be using that, sans the sodium nitrate which is optional.
> >> was really pleased to see that Grey? We will see how much it matters.
> >> If the flavour is good ...

> > I'm struggling to figure out where the flavor will come from if you
> > don't use pickling spices or celery. Did you see the recipe for
> > pickling spice at the bottom of the page? It doesn't call for very
> > much dried pepper or mustard seeds. They don't = "hot", and a flavor
> > component will be missing if you leave them out. Can you borrow some
> > from a friend or buy them and give away what's left?

> I will put in some pickling spices. I'll check out the ingredients list
> before I buy As for the celery? Nah.

Rhulman included a recipe, just eliminate what doesn't appeal. Of
course it won't taste the same, you can't say you don't like the
flavor.

> > Tea balls are the usual way to entrap them for cooking, but I saw an
> > idea yesterday that suggested using a coffee filter. Those are always
> > ready to go, even when the tea ball is in use.

> That is a good idea! I have a tea ball, thanks

YW

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 11:52:11 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message

>> > I'm struggling to figure out where the flavor will come from if you
>> > don't use pickling spices or celery. Did you see the recipe for
>> > pickling spice at the bottom of the page? It doesn't call for very
>> > much dried pepper or mustard seeds. They don't = "hot", and a flavor
>> > component will be missing if you leave them out. Can you borrow some
>> > from a friend or buy them and give away what's left?

>> I will put in some pickling spices. I'll check out the ingredients list
>> before I buy As for the celery? Nah.
>>

> Rhulman included a recipe, just eliminate what doesn't appeal. Of
> course it won't taste the same, you can't say you don't like the
> flavor.

Well I know we won't like it if it is very peppery ... so ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/