Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Corned Beef

On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 17:45:39 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 09:17:48 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I don't mind if the size decreases when it is cooked.

> > You'll be shocked by how much it shrinks.

> All part of the experiment In case you missed it, I copied the Ruhlman
> recipe and will be using that, sans the sodium nitrate which is optional. I
> was really pleased to see that Grey? We will see how much it matters.
> If the flavour is good ...

I'm struggling to figure out where the flavor will come from if you
don't use pickling spices or celery. Did you see the recipe for
pickling spice at the bottom of the page? It doesn't call for very
much dried pepper or mustard seeds. They don't = "hot", and a flavor
component will be missing if you leave them out. Can you borrow some
from a friend or buy them and give away what's left?

Tea balls are the usual way to entrap them for cooking, but I saw an
idea yesterday that suggested using a coffee filter. Those are always
ready to go, even when the tea ball is in use.

--

sf