Old 16-11-2013, 04:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Corned Beef

I just read that corned beef comes from cattle raised on maize. I always
though it referred to the corns of salt which was used to help preserve it.
Can anyone elucidate please?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 16-11-2013, 04:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/16/2013 11:45 AM, Ophelia wrote:
I just read that corned beef comes from cattle raised on maize. I
always though it referred to the corns of salt which was used to help
preserve it.
Can anyone elucidate please?

What the cattle eat has nothing to do with it. It's salt-cured beef.
According to Wiki, "The term comes from the treatment of the meat with
"corns" of salt."

Jill
Old 16-11-2013, 04:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

I just read that corned beef comes from cattle raised on maize. I always
though it referred to the corns of salt which was used to help preserve it.
Can anyone elucidate please?

Corned beef, fish....corned anything refers to soaking it in a
super-saturated salt brine before putting away. Has nothing to do with
the vegetable corn.

G.
Old 16-11-2013, 05:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...
Ophelia wrote:

I just read that corned beef comes from cattle raised on maize. I always
though it referred to the corns of salt which was used to help preserve
it.
Can anyone elucidate please?

Corned beef, fish....corned anything refers to soaking it in a
super-saturated salt brine before putting away.

Is it first salted and then dried?

Has nothing to do with
the vegetable corn.

Thanks, Gary. That is how I understood it too but I wasn't sure. I've
never seen that here, the only corned beef we get is canned and is very
salty.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 16-11-2013, 05:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/16/2013 12:02 PM, Ophelia wrote:

"Gary" wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:

I just read that corned beef comes from cattle raised on maize. I
always
though it referred to the corns of salt which was used to help preserve
it.
Can anyone elucidate please?

Corned beef, fish....corned anything refers to soaking it in a
super-saturated salt brine before putting away.

Is it first salted and then dried?

Has nothing to do with
the vegetable corn.

Thanks, Gary. That is how I understood it too but I wasn't sure. I've
never seen that here, the only corned beef we get is canned and is very
salty.

You can make your own, if you've a mind to. Here's a step-by-step
with pictures of the process for a 5 lb. brisket:

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes...d_corned_beef/

Jill

Old 16-11-2013, 05:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 11:57:45 -0500, Gary wrote:

Ophelia wrote:

I just read that corned beef comes from cattle raised on maize. I
always
though it referred to the corns of salt which was used to help preserve
it.
Can anyone elucidate please?

Corned beef, fish....corned anything refers to soaking it in a
super-saturated salt brine before putting away. Has nothing to do with
the vegetable corn.

Corned beef may not involve a brine. And the solution is not
supersaturated, nor even saturated. Saturation occurs around 45% salt
to water. Corned beef in a brine is made with a 5-10% salt solution.

You can also corn beef with just salt - no solution required. But no,
it has nothing to do with the cows eating corn. Corned beef (and salt
beef) has been around much longer than the practice of corn feeding
cows.

Thanks I see that corned beef is salted to some degree, is it ever then
dried?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 16-11-2013, 05:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:

I just read that corned beef comes from cattle raised on maize. I
always
though it referred to the corns of salt which was used to help preserve
it.
Can anyone elucidate please?

Corned beef, fish....corned anything refers to soaking it in a
super-saturated salt brine before putting away.

Is it first salted and then dried?

Has nothing to do with
the vegetable corn.

Thanks, Gary. That is how I understood it too but I wasn't sure. I've
never seen that here, the only corned beef we get is canned and is very
salty.

You can make your own, if you've a mind to. Here's a step-by-step with
pictures of the process for a 5 lb. brisket:

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes...d_corned_beef/

Thank you very much for that! We might just give it a try! Can I ask ...
later in
the recipe it says 'cover' with one inch of water ??? Does that literally
mean cover it completely with water, with one inch extra water extra over
the
top of the meat ... Also, all that pickling spices, does it make it very
spicy?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 16-11-2013, 05:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 17:34:38 -0000, Ophelia wrote:

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 11:57:45 -0500, Gary wrote:

Corned beef, fish....corned anything refers to soaking it in a
super-saturated salt brine before putting away. Has nothing to do with
the vegetable corn.

Corned beef may not involve a brine. And the solution is not
supersaturated, nor even saturated. Saturation occurs around 45% salt
to water. Corned beef in a brine is made with a 5-10% salt solution.

You can also corn beef with just salt - no solution required. But no,
it has nothing to do with the cows eating corn. Corned beef (and salt
beef) has been around much longer than the practice of corn feeding
cows.

Thanks I see that corned beef is salted to some degree, is it ever
then
dried?

Only if you're making bresoala.

Ok thanks.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Old 16-11-2013, 06:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:

[...]

The Suffolk butcher used to salt beef and sometimes pork. The former is what
is called corned beef in the US.
If you want to try some really good corned/salt beef where you are, try and
find a Jewish deli.
Graham

Old 16-11-2013, 06:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" wrote in message

"Gary" wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:

[...]

Ok I'll have a look around Thanks, Graham!
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 16-11-2013, 06:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:

[...]

That's how I interpret cover with water.

Also, all that pickling spices, does it make it very
spicy?

Caveat: I've never corned a brisket, myself.

The ones I buy aren't spicy as in hot. I know you don't like spicy
food. Corned beef is salty. But not overly much for my tastebuds.
(It's not as if I eat it every day.) Aside from for dinner, thinly
sliced hot corned beef makes for great sandwiches.

Looking again at the recipe, I would say you can leave out pretty much
anything that would make it too spicy for you. Do you ever make
pickles? If you do, I'd say use the combination of pickling spices
you're comfortable with. The salt seems to be the important component.

Jill
Old 16-11-2013, 06:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Jill! I think i will take Graham's advice and see if we like it,
then if we do, I will try that recipe) I am pleased that I can leave out
the very spicy stuff which is what I do when pickling. Thanks again, most
helpful)

Now to look for a Jewish Deli in Glasgow)
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 16-11-2013, 07:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 11:49:46 -0500, jmcquown
wrote:

On 11/16/2013 11:45 AM, Ophelia wrote:
I just read that corned beef comes from cattle raised on maize. I
always though it referred to the corns of salt which was used to help
preserve it.
Can anyone elucidate please?

What the cattle eat has nothing to do with it. It's salt-cured beef.
According to Wiki, "The term comes from the treatment of the meat with
"corns" of salt."

Like corn bread, course milled grain is corn/korn. Calling maize corn
is a Euro thing, because of the maize kernals.
Old 16-11-2013, 07:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:

[...]

There used to be a sizable Jewish population in Glasgow, many were
people concerned with clothing wholesalers and districts that were
called "Jewish". I'd be surprised if the delis have gone but it's a
long time since I looked.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Old 16-11-2013, 07:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:

[...]

Just for the heck, I did a search for jewish deli glasgow and came up
with several. The "Hello Kosher Deli" even has an appetizing picture of
beef brisket!

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

Corned Beef Brooklyn1 General Cooking 39 14-03-2016 08:56 AM
Corned beef again Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 1 13-03-2011 02:29 AM
Corned beef again Doug Freyburger Preserving 1 08-03-2010 11:57 PM
Corned Beef vs Salt Beef (naval beef) Peter General Cooking 46 31-07-2006 04:03 PM
Corned Beef Sheldon General Cooking 3 18-03-2006 03:57 AM