Posted to rec.food.cooking
graham[_4_] graham[_4_] is offline

Default Corned Beef

On 12/03/2016 8:58 AM, The New Other Guy wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 11:52:11 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
>>> I'm struggling to figure out where the flavor will come from if you
>>> don't use pickling spices or celery. Did you see the recipe for
>>> pickling spice at the bottom of the page? It doesn't call for very
>>> much dried pepper or mustard seeds. They don't = "hot", and a flavor
>>> component will be missing if you leave them out. Can you borrow some
>>> from a friend or buy them and give away what's left?

>> I will put in some pickling spices. I'll check out the ingredients list
>> before I buy As for the celery? Nah.
>>

>>> Tea balls are the usual way to entrap them for cooking, but I saw an
>>> idea yesterday that suggested using a coffee filter. Those are always
>>> ready to go, even when the tea ball is in use.

>> That is a good idea! I have a tea ball, thanks

> I ALWAYS add the packet of pickling spice that comes with, then add more,
> usually in a large tea ball, IF I remember.

Though one has to be a bit careful with the type of pickling spice. Some
years ago, I wanted to pickle some onions but the only spice blend
available
here was for making dill pickles as there is a large population of people
of Ukrainian and Polish descent. I had to make up my own blend that wasn't
entirely successful. Pickling spice blends in the UK are (or were until
recently) for pickling onions.
Graham