Posted to rec.food.cooking
The New Other Guy The New Other Guy is offline

Default Corned Beef

On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 11:52:11 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>> I'm struggling to figure out where the flavor will come from if you
>> don't use pickling spices or celery. Did you see the recipe for
>> pickling spice at the bottom of the page? It doesn't call for very
>> much dried pepper or mustard seeds. They don't = "hot", and a flavor
>> component will be missing if you leave them out. Can you borrow some
>> from a friend or buy them and give away what's left?

>I will put in some pickling spices. I'll check out the ingredients list
>before I buy As for the celery? Nah.
>

>> Tea balls are the usual way to entrap them for cooking, but I saw an
>> idea yesterday that suggested using a coffee filter. Those are always
>> ready to go, even when the tea ball is in use.

>That is a good idea! I have a tea ball, thanks

I ALWAYS add the packet of pickling spice that comes with, then add more,
usually in a large tea ball, IF I remember.

I'm not that adverse to scraping a bit of spice off before eating though.