Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Stinky fridge syndrome...

On 3/2/2016 09:49 wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Feb 2016 20:07:54 -0000 (UTC), Bruce >
> wrote:

>>> Really? It happens all the time.
>>>

>>===========
>>
>>LOL, to me nothing is funnier than the "meet and beat" threats in newsgroups. If
>>someone is actually afraid of that, well.....
>>
>>Cheri

> Maybe not always funny. Back about 1988 I used to post quite
> innocently with my real name and real e-addy. Next thing was a
> stalker, the emails were horrible. I was living alone in a large
> house, isolated, on the coast. It did scare me.
>
> Some of the others on the group managed to track him down and find out
> who he was, I was reassured he didn't have a vehicle and couldn't
> drive but also later on I gathered he had a visit to put him off
> Just the same it was a very nasty feeling.
>
> I changed ISP and changed name to LB and never altered back.
>
> So you never know until it happens.

I think only the Boner troll is really crazy in this newsgroup,
but you never know, indeed.

--
Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/2/2016 4:42 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> I really need to check the price of pork butt (shoulder roast). Your
> dinner sounds delicious. You may have my share of the cole slaw.
>
> Jill

Pork has been very cheap. I bought one for .89/lb. Bonelss whole loin
is 1.46 this week.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 02 Feb 2016 18:49:55 -0400, wrote:

>On Tue, 2 Feb 2016 20:07:54 -0000 (UTC), Bruce >
>wrote:

>>> Really? It happens all the time.

>>LOL, to me nothing is funnier than the "meet and beat" threats in newsgroups. If
>>someone is actually afraid of that, well.....

>Maybe not always funny. Back about 1988 I used to post quite
>innocently with my real name and real e-addy. Next thing was a
>stalker, the emails were horrible. I was living alone in a large
>house, isolated, on the coast. It did scare me.

Similar happened to a woman posting to a particular Australian
newsgroup back in the early 2000s. She was stalked and harassed by a
guy who had visited her home, he described her property in detail
(this was before google earth or street view) so it wasn't just talk.

He certainly had issues, supposedly a big tough guy who liked to
terrify a woman in her sixties... or at least he tried to. He also
tried to stalk and find me, because at that point I turned on him.

Several other people during that decade also got the same treatment.
In fact, the guy in question used to be a regular here on RFC.

>Some of the others on the group managed to track him down and find out
>who he was, I was reassured he didn't have a vehicle and couldn't
>drive but also later on I gathered he had a visit to put him off
>Just the same it was a very nasty feeling.
>
>I changed ISP and changed name to LB and never altered back.
>
>So you never know until it happens.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 00:00:58 -0000 (UTC), Bruce >
wrote:

>On 3/2/2016 10:37 Je�us wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2 Feb 2016 23:24:09 -0000 (UTC), Bruce >
>> wrote:

>>>I think only the Boner troll is really crazy in this newsgroup,

>> Yes but a harmless, impotent crank in real life. Interestingly, he's
>> been posting to Usenet recently but not here.

>I hadn't noticed, but that's good. It gets messy enough here without
>stalking trolls.
>
>>>but you never know, indeed.

>> Indeed, we have had one genuine and potentially dangerous nutcase in
>> this group. Thankfully he's gone now.

>I didn't know about that.

Before your time on RFC and probably nobody else here knows about that
part of his history anyway.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 2 Feb 2016 17:17:30 -0500, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 2/2/2016 1:49 PM, Je?us wrote:
>
>> I made an experimental loaf with white and wholemeal flour mixes
>> yesterday, I liked the result. Better than either wholemeal or white
>> on their own.
>>

>My 'everyday' loaf is 40% wholemeal and 60% white.

I did 30% wholemeal... the research shall continue until I think I've
got it right. At some point I'll start experimenting with spelt as
well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 2 Feb 2016 21:51:25 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 2 Feb 2016 21:33:54 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:

om...

>>>Ahh not just me then

>> By that I meant any particular food item, not necessarily just
>> cauliflower. Only recently I came out of a phase where I didn't feel
>> like bacon very much, so much so I gave a lot of what I had in the
>> fridge to the dog. Now I'm back to normal again, bacon-wise at least
>>
>>>For some reason it seems to have a very strong
>>>flavour and scent which I have gone off ... so to speak

>> I think I know what you mean there, not that it has ever bothered me
>> though. You might have the same issue with broccoli and cabbage then?

>Oddly enough, no! Hmm I shall be inspecting my broccoli and cabbage more
>closely now ... ;-)

Oh, sorry. Don't do that...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/2/2016 7:02 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Feb 2016 10:31:26 +1100, Jeßus wrote:
>
>> Similar happened to a woman posting to a particular Australian
>> newsgroup back in the early 2000s. She was stalked and harassed by a
>> guy who had visited her home, he described her property in detail
>> (this was before google earth or street view) so it wasn't just talk.
>>
>> He certainly had issues, supposedly a big tough guy who liked to
>> terrify a woman in her sixties... or at least he tried to. He also
>> tried to stalk and find me, because at that point I turned on him.
>>
>> Several other people during that decade also got the same treatment.
>> In fact, the guy in question used to be a regular here on RFC.

> Peter Lucas/Barnes/Williams (the guy that changes his legal last name
> every few years). I remember Jebus was one of his big detractors and
> showed up here in RFC with a few of Peter's other "fans".
>
> Yes, he was a scary guy. Still is. And no, he's not dead contrary to
> what somebody else here has reported (cshenk).
>
> -sw

Was just thinking of him by the description, and yes, that's when Jebus
showed up trolling him.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/02/2016 4:10 AM, Gary wrote:
> Xeno wrote:
>>
>> The thing is, when I first started posting here about 2 years back, RFC
>> seemed quite friendly. It sure has changed now though. :-(

> You must have been drinking heavily back then.

Must have been...

--

Xeno

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/02/2016 6:52 AM, Bruce wrote:
> On 2/2/2016 23:41 Xeno wrote:

>>> I won't do it again.

>> Promise?
>>
>>> We were in Ipswich, where they have heat waves and bad aircos
>>>

>> Ipswich? Yeah, I could believe that. It's far enough inland. Was up at
>> Pacific Pines on the Gold Coast a few weeks back and it was inland just
>> far enough to really humid and uncomfortable. You really need the sea
>> breeze up there to make things livable.

> Yes, it was 40 C or predicted to become that when we left. And my car
> has no airco

Time you bought a new and better equipped car.

--

Xeno
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/02/2016 6:55 AM, Bruce wrote:
> On 2/2/2016 23:43 Xeno wrote:

>>> Does there need to be a reason?
>>>

>> The thing is, when I first started posting here about 2 years back, RFC
>> seemed quite friendly. It sure has changed now though. :-(

> It's a few people feeding off each other. They'll calm down again
> and go back to bitching about Julie. Not saying that's a big
> improvement.

I was thinking more about all the nymshifting...

--

Xeno
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/02/2016 8:46 AM, Bruce wrote:
> On 3/2/2016 08:22 Jeßus wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2 Feb 2016 21:07:26 -0000 (UTC), Bruce >
>> wrote:

>>> I can handle the heat, but they were having a heat wave up to
>>> yesterday and it was a bit extreme.

>> I used to love the heat when I was younger, but once in my thirties I
>> progressively moved further and further south from Darwin until I
>> ended up here. Now, I don't much like it over 20°C - seriously.
>> I'm obviously well acclimatised to this place now.

> Yes, you do get used to the climate. In Tasmania, I used to think
> that 20 was moderately warm. Now I find it chilly if it's only 20 when
> I get up.
>
>> There is also a massive difference between dry heat and humid heat...
>> dry heat I can tolerate much more.

> Yes.

Dry heat is easier to tolerate. That's because your body has mechanisms
to deal with it. Those mechanisms don't work when the humidity goes
above a certain percentage. Evaporative air cons suffer the same for
exactly the same reason. When I was working in the mines in WA, any
increase above 30C wasn't greatly noticeable. I could handle even 45C in
dry conditions.
This morning we went to Lowanna to pick some stuff up from this place;
http://tinyurl.com/zn4tgsf
It wasn't even 30C this morning but the humidity was very high. It's
surrounded by rainforest so that's why the humidity was up. You didn't
even need to exert yourself before you began to sweat profusely. Trouble
was, we had to pick up some gear and load it into a trailer. Not fun at
all. It's located in a bit of a gully surrounded by trees so no breeze
whatsoever.
Nice picturesque place but no way would I live there with those humidity
levels.

--

Xeno
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/2/2016 16:02 Xeno wrote:

> On 3/02/2016 6:52 AM, Bruce wrote:

>>> Promise?

>>> Ipswich? Yeah, I could believe that. It's far enough inland. Was up at
>>> Pacific Pines on the Gold Coast a few weeks back and it was inland just
>>> far enough to really humid and uncomfortable. You really need the sea
>>> breeze up there to make things livable.

>> Yes, it was 40 C or predicted to become that when we left. And my car
>> has no airco
>>

> Time you bought a new and better equipped car.

No, my car always looks better than most others in the
parking lot. Wind tunnels were the end of good looking cars.

--
Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/2/2016 16:03 Xeno wrote:

> On 3/02/2016 6:55 AM, Bruce wrote:

>>> The thing is, when I first started posting here about 2 years back, RFC
>>> seemed quite friendly. It sure has changed now though. :-(

>> It's a few people feeding off each other. They'll calm down again
>> and go back to bitching about Julie. Not saying that's a big
>> improvement.
>>

> I was thinking more about all the nymshifting...

Oh yes, for 75% in reaction to the Boner troll. Or in
reaction to the reaction to the Boner troll, etc.

--
Bruce

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/02/2016 5:22 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On 3/2/2016 16:02 Xeno wrote:

>>> Yes, it was 40 C or predicted to become that when we left. And my car
>>> has no airco
>>>

>> Time you bought a new and better equipped car.

> No, my car always looks better than most others in the
> parking lot. Wind tunnels were the end of good looking cars.

OK, go retrofit an A/C system into it. Trust me, you'll love it!

--

Xeno
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/2/2016 17:15 Xeno wrote:

> On 3/02/2016 8:46 AM, Bruce wrote:
>> On 3/2/2016 08:22 Jeþus wrote:

>>> I used to love the heat when I was younger, but once in my thirties I
>>> progressively moved further and further south from Darwin until I
>>> ended up here. Now, I don't much like it over 20°C - seriously.
>>> I'm obviously well acclimatised to this place now.

>> Yes, you do get used to the climate. In Tasmania, I used to think
>> that 20 was moderately warm. Now I find it chilly if it's only 20 when
>> I get up.
>>
>>> There is also a massive difference between dry heat and humid heat...
>>> dry heat I can tolerate much more.

>> Yes.
>>

> Dry heat is easier to tolerate. That's because your body has mechanisms
> to deal with it. Those mechanisms don't work when the humidity goes
> above a certain percentage. Evaporative air cons suffer the same for
> exactly the same reason. When I was working in the mines in WA, any
> increase above 30C wasn't greatly noticeable. I could handle even 45C in
> dry conditions.
> This morning we went to Lowanna to pick some stuff up from this place;
> http://tinyurl.com/zn4tgsf
> It wasn't even 30C this morning but the humidity was very high. It's
> surrounded by rainforest so that's why the humidity was up. You didn't
> even need to exert yourself before you began to sweat profusely. Trouble
> was, we had to pick up some gear and load it into a trailer. Not fun at
> all. It's located in a bit of a gully surrounded by trees so no breeze
> whatsoever.
> Nice picturesque place but no way would I live there with those humidity
> levels.

Nice property. Probably not much less humid than our place. When it's
hot and humid, I limit work outside to 30 minutes. 30 minute
work-30 minute break-30 minute work-30 minute break etc.

--
Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 17:26:12 +1100, Xeno >
wrote:

>On 3/02/2016 5:22 PM, Bruce wrote:

>>> Time you bought a new and better equipped car.

>> No, my car always looks better than most others in the
>> parking lot. Wind tunnels were the end of good looking cars.
>>

>OK, go retrofit an A/C system into it. Trust me, you'll love it!

I think the car is airco prepared, but it doesn't have one.
Personally, I always prefer to feel the real temperature. Especially
in a car, with the windows open, which always creates a nice breeze.

--
Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/02/2016 5:36 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On 3/2/2016 17:15 Xeno wrote:

<snip>

>>> Yes.
>>>

>> Dry heat is easier to tolerate. That's because your body has mechanisms
>> to deal with it. Those mechanisms don't work when the humidity goes
>> above a certain percentage. Evaporative air cons suffer the same for
>> exactly the same reason. When I was working in the mines in WA, any
>> increase above 30C wasn't greatly noticeable. I could handle even 45C in
>> dry conditions.
>> This morning we went to Lowanna to pick some stuff up from this place;
>> http://tinyurl.com/zn4tgsf
>> It wasn't even 30C this morning but the humidity was very high. It's
>> surrounded by rainforest so that's why the humidity was up. You didn't
>> even need to exert yourself before you began to sweat profusely. Trouble
>> was, we had to pick up some gear and load it into a trailer. Not fun at
>> all. It's located in a bit of a gully surrounded by trees so no breeze
>> whatsoever.
>> Nice picturesque place but no way would I live there with those humidity
>> levels.

> Nice property. Probably not much less humid than our place. When it's
> hot and humid, I limit work outside to 30 minutes. 30 minute
> work-30 minute break-30 minute work-30 minute break etc.

Sounds fair to me!

--

Xeno
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/02/2016 5:51 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 17:26:12 +1100, Xeno >
> wrote:

>>> No, my car always looks better than most others in the
>>> parking lot. Wind tunnels were the end of good looking cars.
>>>

>> OK, go retrofit an A/C system into it. Trust me, you'll love it!

> I think the car is airco prepared, but it doesn't have one.
> Personally, I always prefer to feel the real temperature. Especially
> in a car, with the windows open, which always creates a nice breeze.

You sound like my wife. She doesn't like the A/C. Trouble is, modern
cars aren't really designed to be driven with windows wound down,
especially the rear windows.

--

Xeno

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

> Yep! You might note that someone is complaining I am not the 'same nice
> Ophy'.

Gee whiz, I wonder who that might be? Afraid to name names?

> There is a good reason for that as you can see. Do I like it? No!
> I hate it, but I will not be kicked around without kicking back!

You don't like it and you hate it then don't do it.

Good old Ophy has evidently joined the mean crowd. Welcome but don't
complain when people are picking on you more now, like you've
discussed with Bruce. You want to play that game, you're dealing with
experts that will chop you down to Scottish mulch in no time.

I'll write you off then and concentrate on the nicer people here. I
won't be mean to you, I'll just try to ignore you. Sad to see you go
though.

Kind of looks like Janet UK was right all along. wth?
==========
Surely you don't believe that you are one of the nicer people here? Right now
you're just shit stirring and you know it, nice touch with the Janet UK thing
too Mr. concentrating on nice people Gary. LOL, just LOL.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" wrote in message ...

I am afraid I am right off cauliflower at the moment. Not sure why but I
just don't fancy it at all!!

========

That happens to me occasionally with different foods, some things I really like
can be off putting at times, but then in a month or two they sound good again.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 18:00:30 +1100, Xeno >
wrote:

>On 3/02/2016 5:51 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 17:26:12 +1100, Xeno >
>> wrote:

>>> OK, go retrofit an A/C system into it. Trust me, you'll love it!

>> I think the car is airco prepared, but it doesn't have one.
>> Personally, I always prefer to feel the real temperature. Especially
>> in a car, with the windows open, which always creates a nice breeze.
>>

>You sound like my wife. She doesn't like the A/C. Trouble is, modern
>cars aren't really designed to be driven with windows wound down,
>especially the rear windows.

I'm lucky then. I don't have a modern car and it also doesn't have
rear windows

But why would they design a car with windows that shouldn't be opened?

--
Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 2/2/2016 1:49 PM, Je�us wrote:
>
>> I made an experimental loaf with white and wholemeal flour mixes
>> yesterday, I liked the result. Better than either wholemeal or white
>> on their own.
>>

> My 'everyday' loaf is 40% wholemeal and 60% white.

Mine is sometimes white, sometimes wholemeal and sometimes mixed, but nearly
always with seeds and wheat flakes. Himself like them you see <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/02/2016 6:33 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 18:00:30 +1100, Xeno >
> wrote:
>
>> On 3/02/2016 5:51 PM, Bruce wrote:

>>> I think the car is airco prepared, but it doesn't have one.
>>> Personally, I always prefer to feel the real temperature. Especially
>>> in a car, with the windows open, which always creates a nice breeze.
>>>

>> You sound like my wife. She doesn't like the A/C. Trouble is, modern
>> cars aren't really designed to be driven with windows wound down,
>> especially the rear windows.

> I'm lucky then. I don't have a modern car and it also doesn't have
> rear windows
>
> But why would they design a car with windows that shouldn't be opened?

Claustrophobia. People like to look out of windows. Same as a lot of
office buildings now have windows that cannot be opened. If you have A/C
you really don't need opening windows.

Modern cars are much more streamlined than in the past. That
streamlining is done with the assumption windows are closed. Open
windows destroy the benefit. As a case in point, my Corolla cannot be
driven above 50kph with the rear windows open. Sure, there's no
inhibitor that prevents you doing it but the pressure wave pulsations
inside the car guarantee you won't leave the windows down for very long.
I've driven or owned a number of post 2000 cars and they all tend to
exhibit the same tendency towards pressure wave pulsations when windows
are down, some being much worse than my current car. The front windows
are not as bad but wind noise becomes an issue at any reasonable highway
speed. I hate wind noise with a passion! That's why these devices were
invented. http://tinyurl.com/hk8agrj There is also the rain factor
caused, again, by vehicle design with windows canted inwards at the top
to a much greater degree than was the case in the 50s and 60s.

Even when I don't want A/C on, I still get redirectable fresh air
through the vents so it's no big deal really.

--

Xeno

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 2, 2016 at 8:16:41 PM UTC-10, Xeno wrote:
> On 3/02/2016 8:46 AM, Bruce wrote:
> > On 3/2/2016 08:22 Jeßus wrote:

> >> I used to love the heat when I was younger, but once in my thirties I
> >> progressively moved further and further south from Darwin until I
> >> ended up here. Now, I don't much like it over 20°C - seriously.
> >> I'm obviously well acclimatised to this place now.

> > Yes, you do get used to the climate. In Tasmania, I used to think
> > that 20 was moderately warm. Now I find it chilly if it's only 20 when
> > I get up.
> >
> >> There is also a massive difference between dry heat and humid heat...
> >> dry heat I can tolerate much more.

> > Yes.
> >

> Dry heat is easier to tolerate. That's because your body has mechanisms
> to deal with it. Those mechanisms don't work when the humidity goes
> above a certain percentage. Evaporative air cons suffer the same for
> exactly the same reason. When I was working in the mines in WA, any
> increase above 30C wasn't greatly noticeable. I could handle even 45C in
> dry conditions.
> This morning we went to Lowanna to pick some stuff up from this place;
> http://tinyurl.com/zn4tgsf
> It wasn't even 30C this morning but the humidity was very high. It's
> surrounded by rainforest so that's why the humidity was up. You didn't
> even need to exert yourself before you began to sweat profusely. Trouble
> was, we had to pick up some gear and load it into a trailer. Not fun at
> all. It's located in a bit of a gully surrounded by trees so no breeze
> whatsoever.
> Nice picturesque place but no way would I live there with those humidity
> levels.
>
> --
>
> Xeno

Things are somewhat more comfortable under dry conditions because the sweat evaporates off your skin. The water turning into a vapor absorbs heat from your skin. The opposite occurs in high humidity conditions: water condenses on your body which releases heat on your skin. Humans are quite sensitive to this effect of evaporation and condensation on their skin.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 2 Feb 2016 23:08:51 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Ophelia" wrote in message ...
>

>I am afraid I am right off cauliflower at the moment. Not sure why but I
>just don't fancy it at all!!
>
>========
>
>That happens to me occasionally with different foods, some things I really like
>can be off putting at times, but then in a month or two they sound good again.

I did too many bean experiments recently. I have to wait a few weeks
before I can continue. I wonder how Mexicans do it.

--
Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/02/2016 7:05 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 2, 2016 at 8:16:41 PM UTC-10, Xeno wrote:

>>> Yes, you do get used to the climate. In Tasmania, I used to think
>>> that 20 was moderately warm. Now I find it chilly if it's only 20 when
>>> I get up.

>>> Yes.
>>>

>> Dry heat is easier to tolerate. That's because your body has mechanisms
>> to deal with it. Those mechanisms don't work when the humidity goes
>> above a certain percentage. Evaporative air cons suffer the same for
>> exactly the same reason. When I was working in the mines in WA, any
>> increase above 30C wasn't greatly noticeable. I could handle even 45C in
>> dry conditions.
>> This morning we went to Lowanna to pick some stuff up from this place;
>> http://tinyurl.com/zn4tgsf
>> It wasn't even 30C this morning but the humidity was very high. It's
>> surrounded by rainforest so that's why the humidity was up. You didn't
>> even need to exert yourself before you began to sweat profusely. Trouble
>> was, we had to pick up some gear and load it into a trailer. Not fun at
>> all. It's located in a bit of a gully surrounded by trees so no breeze
>> whatsoever.
>> Nice picturesque place but no way would I live there with those humidity
>> levels.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Xeno

> Things are somewhat more comfortable under dry conditions because the sweat evaporates off your skin. The water turning into a vapor absorbs heat from your skin. The opposite occurs in high humidity conditions: water condenses on your body which releases heat on your skin. Humans are quite sensitive to this effect of evaporation and condensation on their skin.

It's called 'latent heat of evaporation' and is the principle of
evaporative cooling. The best and simplest explanation of it is here;
http://tinyurl.com/zjfn95s

--

Xeno
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 19:03:00 +1100, Xeno >
wrote:

>On 3/02/2016 6:33 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 18:00:30 +1100, Xeno >
>> wrote:

>>> You sound like my wife. She doesn't like the A/C. Trouble is, modern
>>> cars aren't really designed to be driven with windows wound down,
>>> especially the rear windows.

>> I'm lucky then. I don't have a modern car and it also doesn't have
>> rear windows
>>
>> But why would they design a car with windows that shouldn't be opened?
>>

>Claustrophobia. People like to look out of windows. Same as a lot of
>office buildings now have windows that cannot be opened. If you have A/C
>you really don't need opening windows.
>
>Modern cars are much more streamlined than in the past. That
>streamlining is done with the assumption windows are closed. Open
>windows destroy the benefit. As a case in point, my Corolla cannot be
>driven above 50kph with the rear windows open. Sure, there's no
>inhibitor that prevents you doing it but the pressure wave pulsations
>inside the car guarantee you won't leave the windows down for very long.
>I've driven or owned a number of post 2000 cars and they all tend to
>exhibit the same tendency towards pressure wave pulsations when windows
>are down, some being much worse than my current car. The front windows
>are not as bad but wind noise becomes an issue at any reasonable highway
>speed. I hate wind noise with a passion! That's why these devices were
>invented. http://tinyurl.com/hk8agrj There is also the rain factor
>caused, again, by vehicle design with windows canted inwards at the top
>to a much greater degree than was the case in the 50s and 60s.
>
>Even when I don't want A/C on, I still get redirectable fresh air
>through the vents so it's no big deal really.

I understand what you're saying, but I'd rather be in touch with the
outside than in a controlled cubicle. Maybe it would be different if I
had to drive a lot on a regular basis.

This is my kind of driving:
http://www.dba-oracle.com/images/redneck_pickup.jpg

--
Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 2 Feb 2016 21:51:25 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]
m...

>>> By that I meant any particular food item, not necessarily just
>>> cauliflower. Only recently I came out of a phase where I didn't feel
>>> like bacon very much, so much so I gave a lot of what I had in the
>>> fridge to the dog. Now I'm back to normal again, bacon-wise at least

>>> I think I know what you mean there, not that it has ever bothered me
>>> though. You might have the same issue with broccoli and cabbage then?

>>Oddly enough, no! Hmm I shall be inspecting my broccoli and cabbage more
>>closely now ... ;-)

> Oh, sorry. Don't do that...

p;
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Xeno" > wrote in message
> On 3/02/2016 8:46 AM, Bruce wrote:
>> On 3/2/2016 08:22 Jeßus wrote:

>>> I used to love the heat when I was younger, but once in my thirties I
>>> progressively moved further and further south from Darwin until I
>>> ended up here. Now, I don't much like it over 20°C - seriously.
>>> I'm obviously well acclimatised to this place now.

>> Yes, you do get used to the climate. In Tasmania, I used to think
>> that 20 was moderately warm. Now I find it chilly if it's only 20 when
>> I get up.
>>
>>> There is also a massive difference between dry heat and humid heat...
>>> dry heat I can tolerate much more.

>> Yes.
>>

> Dry heat is easier to tolerate. That's because your body has mechanisms to
> deal with it. Those mechanisms don't work when the humidity goes above a
> certain percentage. Evaporative air cons suffer the same for exactly the
> same reason. When I was working in the mines in WA, any increase above 30C
> wasn't greatly noticeable. I could handle even 45C in dry conditions.
> This morning we went to Lowanna to pick some stuff up from this place;
> http://tinyurl.com/zn4tgsf
> It wasn't even 30C this morning but the humidity was very high. It's
> surrounded by rainforest so that's why the humidity was up. You didn't
> even need to exert yourself before you began to sweat profusely. Trouble
> was, we had to pick up some gear and load it into a trailer. Not fun at
> all. It's located in a bit of a gully surrounded by trees so no breeze
> whatsoever.
> Nice picturesque place but no way would I live there with those humidity
> levels

The humidity levels in Malta were huge. Get into the shower, get dry and
still be wet

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On 3/2/2016 16:02 Xeno wrote:

>>> Yes, it was 40 C or predicted to become that when we left. And my car
>>> has no airco
>>>

>> Time you bought a new and better equipped car.

> No, my car always looks better than most others in the
> parking lot. Wind tunnels were the end of good looking cars.

That is how we feel about ours Old Pageros
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Gary" wrote in message ...
>
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> Yep! You might note that someone is complaining I am not the 'same nice
>> Ophy'.

> Gee whiz, I wonder who that might be? Afraid to name names?
>

>> There is a good reason for that as you can see. Do I like it? No!
>> I hate it, but I will not be kicked around without kicking back!

> You don't like it and you hate it then don't do it.
>
> Good old Ophy has evidently joined the mean crowd. Welcome but don't
> complain when people are picking on you more now, like you've
> discussed with Bruce. You want to play that game, you're dealing with
> experts that will chop you down to Scottish mulch in no time.
>
> I'll write you off then and concentrate on the nicer people here. I
> won't be mean to you, I'll just try to ignore you. Sad to see you go
> though.
>
> Kind of looks like Janet UK was right all along. wth?
> ==========
> Surely you don't believe that you are one of the nicer people here? Right
> now you're just shit stirring and you know it, nice touch with the Janet
> UK thing too Mr. concentrating on nice people Gary. LOL, just LOL.

Roflmao

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Ophelia" wrote in message ...
>

> I am afraid I am right off cauliflower at the moment. Not sure why but I
> just don't fancy it at all!!
>
> ========
>
> That happens to me occasionally with different foods, some things I really
> like can be off putting at times, but then in a month or two they sound
> good again.

I seem to have switched off the scent of it and I can't get it out of my
mind. I will have to buy it again though because Himself likes it ;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Tuesday, February 2, 2016 at 8:16:41 PM UTC-10, Xeno wrote:

>> > Yes, you do get used to the climate. In Tasmania, I used to think
>> > that 20 was moderately warm. Now I find it chilly if it's only 20 when
>> > I get up.

>> > Yes.
>> >

>> Dry heat is easier to tolerate. That's because your body has mechanisms
>> to deal with it. Those mechanisms don't work when the humidity goes
>> above a certain percentage. Evaporative air cons suffer the same for
>> exactly the same reason. When I was working in the mines in WA, any
>> increase above 30C wasn't greatly noticeable. I could handle even 45C in
>> dry conditions.
>> This morning we went to Lowanna to pick some stuff up from this place;
>> http://tinyurl.com/zn4tgsf
>> It wasn't even 30C this morning but the humidity was very high. It's
>> surrounded by rainforest so that's why the humidity was up. You didn't
>> even need to exert yourself before you began to sweat profusely. Trouble
>> was, we had to pick up some gear and load it into a trailer. Not fun at
>> all. It's located in a bit of a gully surrounded by trees so no breeze
>> whatsoever.
>> Nice picturesque place but no way would I live there with those humidity
>> levels.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Xeno

> Things are somewhat more comfortable under dry conditions because the
> sweat evaporates off your skin. The water turning into a vapor absorbs
> heat from your skin. The opposite occurs in high humidity conditions:
> water condenses on your body which releases heat on your skin. Humans are
> quite sensitive to this effect of evaporation and condensation on their
> skin.

Yes, and I hated it. Oddly enough I never had that anywhere but Malta, not
even in India but I guess Malta being such a small island ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 10:14:06 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message

>>> Time you bought a new and better equipped car.

>> No, my car always looks better than most others in the
>> parking lot. Wind tunnels were the end of good looking cars.

>That is how we feel about ours Old Pageros

Is that a Mitsubishi pickup/city jeep?

--
Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 10:14:06 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:

>>> No, my car always looks better than most others in the
>>> parking lot. Wind tunnels were the end of good looking cars.

>>That is how we feel about ours Old Pageros

> Is that a Mitsubishi pickup/city jeep?

Ok this is like mine:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsub...-12-10)_01.jpg

....and he has the long wheelbase.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Bruce" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 10:14:06 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:

>>>That is how we feel about ours Old Pageros

>> Is that a Mitsubishi pickup/city jeep?
>>

> Ok this is like mine:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsub...-12-10)_01.jpg
>
> ...and he has the long wheelbase.

Ahh the one I tried to show is down the page on the left. A small green one
"Mitsubishi Pajero Intercooler Turbo Wagon 3-door"

As I said, he has the long wheelbase version.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 10:59:55 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 10:14:06 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:

>>>That is how we feel about ours Old Pageros

>> Is that a Mitsubishi pickup/city jeep?
>>

>Ok this is like mine:
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsub...-12-10)_01.jpg
>
>...and he has the long wheelbase.

That looks comfortable.

--
Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 10:59:55 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Is that a Mitsubishi pickup/city jeep?
>>>

>>Ok this is like mine:
>>
>>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsub...-12-10)_01.jpg
>>
>>...and he has the long wheelbase.

> That looks comfortable.

Did you look down the page like I said in the following post?

Oh and it is very comfortable thanks, so long as you don't want to sit in
the back seat <g> The long wheelbase is much more fitting for that

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/