Old 22-04-2015, 06:33 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

Default Is there a way to slice meat thinly as luncheon meat at home?

At a deli, they use a special meat slicer, but, is there something
affordable we can use at home to slice luncheon meat thinly?
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8816/1...bf58106a_c.jpg

I have my sister and her kids staying with me for a few months (don't
ask), and we pack them a lunch every school day, so I picked up big hunks
of Costco ham, turkey, and cheese, figuring I'd slice it up for the kids
to make sandwiches.
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7700/1...64c263f4_c.jpg

But I can't manually knife the stuff as thinly as they do with the
professional rotating blade meat slicers at the supermarket.

Is there a shop tool that's common that we can use to slice this meat up
thinly? Or do I have to buy an expensive meat slicer (which is probably
too expensive to be worthwhile)?

Anyone slice their own luncheon meat thinly at home?
What tool do you use?

Old 22-04-2015, 06:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, April 22, 2015 at 12:34:39 AM UTC-5, Danny D. wrote:

At a deli, they use a special meat slicer, but, is there something
affordable we can use at home to slice luncheon meat thinly?
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8816/1...bf58106a_c.jpg

You can buy electric meat slicers for around $50. I have one and it's rather handy.
Old 22-04-2015, 07:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 05:33:37 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

[...]

You need either a very sharp knife and enough skill to make your
slices even or invest in a meat slicer. Personally, since your family
won't be staying with you very long - a slicer cost won't be cost
effective unless you can pick one up somewhere for almost free. I
wouldn't slice turkey with a slicer anyway, but that's my preference.

--

sf
Old 22-04-2015, 07:25 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

"Danny D." wrote in message
[...]

You can buy a slicer for home use but they're not cheap.

Old 22-04-2015, 07:43 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote, on Tue, 21 Apr 2015 23:25:40 -0700:

You can buy a slicer for home use but they're not cheap.

Basically I want the least expensive *usable* meat slicer I can get
(even better if it's a tool that I already have, such as a dremel tool,
or a grinder motor, or a sawszall, etc.).

I should note that I googled the deli-style slicers, which run the gamut
in cost from about just over a hundred dollars to over a thousand dollars.
http://tinyurl.com/pm84rwo

With that kind of price range, there are going to be a *lot* of decisions
and tradeoffs that have to be made at the lower end.

If I simply by a $2,000 meat slicer, I'm sure I'll be happy with it; but,
to get one for less than a hundred will take the advice of others who have
actual experience in the lower end models.

Questions will arise such as blade material and type, diameter, motor power,
etc., that I don't even know to ask yet.

Only someone who is either happy or unhappy with the inexpensive slicers will
be able to advise me which way to go, or not to go, I would think.

Here's an example of a relatively inexpensive slicer, but I don't know if
its any good:
http://www.amazon.com/Continental-PS.../dp/B00196VYY0
http://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-Pr.../dp/B008BTIMXE

But maybe there is a fitting for my radial arm saw, or for my circular saw?

Old 22-04-2015, 07:49 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

"Danny D." wrote in message
[...]

I am in UK and this is very similar to the one I have

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/13665/My-K...150422064811:s

I am sure you could get something similar.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 22-04-2015, 07:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

sf wrote, on Tue, 21 Apr 2015 23:09:34 -0700:

You need either a very sharp knife and enough skill to make your
slices even or invest in a meat slicer.

I have tried hand sharpening knives, and that's a bust (for me).

But I have a lot of good quality shop tools, so, my *first* hope is
that I can simply buy a special thin stainless-steel blade and jig
for, say, my Makita miter saw or my circular saw or use a table saw
with a special setup, etc.

I was hoping someone else had tried the shop-tool approach, and had
recommendations and ideas for me. Otherwise, I will try it on my own,
but, of course, it will take a lot of experimentation and tests.

Worst case, I can buy a crappy lower-quality dedicated meat slicer,
but, I don't yet understand why a quality shop tool can't be outfitted
to do the job.

I'm sure most cooks would shudder at using a shop tool, but, it's just
a motor and blade after all, so, with a special blade, and some kind
of clever jig setup, I don't see why an existing common shop tool
wouldn't do the job as well.

But, of course, I have no experience in this, so that's why I ask.

Old 22-04-2015, 08:00 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On 4/22/15 1:33 AM, Danny D. wrote:

Anyone slice their own luncheon meat thinly at home?
What tool do you use?

Some chefs recommend a chef's knife for meat, but their slices don't
look thin to me.

To slice meat thinly, I use a knife with a thin blade. The one I have
doesn't take or hold an edge like my chef's knife, but it beats my
chef's knife for slicing meat.

If you look at ham slicing knives at amazon, they'll show you lots. Some
have a Granton edge. I've read that's good for slicing meat thin.
Old 22-04-2015, 10:16 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

"Danny D." wrote in
:

Subject: Is there a way to slice meat thinly as luncheon meat at
home? From: "Danny D."
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote, on Tue, 21 Apr 2015 23:25:40 -0700:

You can buy a slicer for home use but they're not cheap.

Basically I want the least expensive *usable* meat slicer I can get
(even better if it's a tool that I already have, such as a dremel
tool, or a grinder motor, or a sawszall, etc.).

Unbelieveable. If I didn't see it myself, I just would not believe the
kind of questions you ask. What an A.H.
Old 22-04-2015, 11:44 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

I have a very old Acme brand slicer, it's surprisingly super sharp and
super fine with it's cuts. Mostly made of cast iron and quite heavy.

Most of the time I use one of these:
http://www.wusthof.com/_usa/Products...+4111/id-7231/

I originally bought it to round out my set of wusthof knives and found
it's one of the knives that gets the most use. You can cut very fine
and accurately with one of these knives. Great on tomatoes.

Old 22-04-2015, 11:58 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

"Danny D." wrote in message
[...]

Since that is Amazon, I would pay heed to the reviews there. I don't have a
slicer. I don't have room to store one.

Old 22-04-2015, 12:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On 4/22/2015 1:59 AM, Danny D. wrote:
sf wrote, on Tue, 21 Apr 2015 23:09:34 -0700:

You need either a very sharp knife and enough skill to make your
slices even or invest in a meat slicer.

[snip]

I'm sure most cooks would shudder at using a shop tool, but, it's just
a motor and blade after all, so, with a special blade, and some kind
of clever jig setup, I don't see why an existing common shop tool
wouldn't do the job as well.

But, of course, I have no experience in this, so that's why I ask.

You give a link on Amazon to a couple of slicers you could afford. Each
has a rather extensive listing of something called reviews which, since
you're so inexperienced, are statements made by owners of the actual
product, who've used the product for a time and yet here you are asking
how to jerry-rig a Unisaw or Dremel Moto-tool.

Are you the tool?

Read the damn reviews!

Old 22-04-2015, 01:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On 4/22/2015 1:33 AM, Danny D. wrote:
Is there a shop tool that's common that we can use to slice this meat up
thinly? Or do I have to buy an expensive meat slicer (which is probably
too expensive to be worthwhile)?

Anyone slice their own luncheon meat thinly at home?
What tool do you use?

I think Billy Mays hawked such a device, but he
died years ago. Nothing out there to my knowledge.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Old 22-04-2015, 01:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Why not just buy sliced meat? How much meat will you have to slice to
justify $1,500 for a small Hobart slicer? Do you ever see Deli's using
the $50 slicers? Shop tools are not generally designed to be FDA
Approved and meet sanitation standards for processing food. Have you
ever seen what happens at your grocer's meat department after the
Butcher's are done with work for the day? Is your kitchen set up to
properly sanitize the equipment after you're done slicing?

William

Old 22-04-2015, 01:45 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

You need a Flimzu Knife.

Cuts meat so thin you can use it as a screen protector on your smart
phone.

Act now. Call 1=900-FLIMZU (extra charges may apply)

Or write BOX FLIMZU, NY, NY zipcode FLIMZU.