Michael

"D.A.Martinich" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Speaking of cooked luncheon meat, I remember hearing a Country song
> many years ago describing a jailhouse meal of fried baloney. And then
> I found out, when friends moved to Canada that fried baloney with
> maple syrup was popular up there in the Frozen North. It's an
> interesting world....
>
> D.M.

When I was a kid and my Dad made us Sunday breakfast, it was likely to be
fried Spam and eggs or fried baloney and eggs. Although the baloney was from
the butcher and sliced thick, like 3/8" or so. Or fried cornbread (in bacon
grease) with buttermilk poured on it. Jeeze Louise, no wonder I battle high
cholesterol.

Michael

Priscilla Ballou

In article >,
"Orc General" > wrote:

> How do you prepare luncheon meat for eating. I am talking about Hormel's
> Spam that you buy at the grocery.
>
> What I do normally is have a frying pan on low heat. Slice the spam bar
> into thin slices and toss it in the frying pan to heat it up to almost a
> brownish colour.
>
> How do you normally eat this thing? Can it be eaten raw right out of the
> rectangular can?

Yeah, I slice it up right from the can and slap it between slices of
bread with plenty of mayo and yellow mustard. American classic.

Priscilla
--
"And what's this crap about Sodomites? It's always Sodomites this and
Sodomites that. What about us Gomorrahians? We were there too; we
zxcvbob

Orc General wrote:
> How do you prepare luncheon meat for eating. I am talking about Hormel's
> Spam that you buy at the grocery.
>
> What I do normally is have a frying pan on low heat. Slice the spam bar
> into thin slices and toss it in the frying pan to heat it up to almost a
> brownish colour.
>
> How do you normally eat this thing? Can it be eaten raw right out of the
> rectangular can?

I like it fried (especially with pancakes and syrup), but it is fully
cooked already right from the can.

Bob
Sheldon

Orc General wrote:
> How do you prepare luncheon meat for eating. I am talking about

Hormel's
> Spam that you buy at the grocery.
>
> What I do normally is have a frying pan on low heat. Slice the spam

bar
> into thin slices and toss it in the frying pan to heat it up to

almost a
> brownish colour.
>
> How do you normally eat this thing? Can it be eaten raw right out of

the
> rectangular can?

I guess by "luncheon meat" you mean *spiced ham*. I happen to like
Hormel's Spam but I don't think it qualifies as spiced ham. I happen
like Boar's Head "spiced ham" better, but it costs 2.5 times more. My
personal preference is not to heat either of them, I like both cold,
thinly sliced in a sandwich... in fact just today I went to Sam's Club
and bought four 4 packs (16 cans) of Hormel Spam... how many of yoose
can boast they've more than a dozen cans of Spam in their larder... how
many would have the balls to admit it.

Sheldon

The Ranger

Sheldon > wrote in message
oups.com...
> in fact just today I went to Sam's Club and bought four
> 4 packs (16 cans) of Hormel Spam...

I always knew you were a cheap son of a bitch because of your
pasta-filling attitude towards invited guests but your pride in being
that cheap son of bitch even surprises me since it would seem you horde
that canned crap like it was gold.

ObSpam: Proudly proclaiming I haven't had any since 1975.

The Ranger
--
He knows so little and knows it so fluently.
-- Ellen Glasgow

Katra

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> Orc General wrote:
> > How do you prepare luncheon meat for eating. I am talking about

> Hormel's
> > Spam that you buy at the grocery.
> >
> > What I do normally is have a frying pan on low heat. Slice the spam

> bar
> > into thin slices and toss it in the frying pan to heat it up to

> almost a
> > brownish colour.
> >
> > How do you normally eat this thing? Can it be eaten raw right out of

> the
> > rectangular can?

> I guess by "luncheon meat" you mean *spiced ham*. I happen to like
> Hormel's Spam but I don't think it qualifies as spiced ham. I happen
> like Boar's Head "spiced ham" better, but it costs 2.5 times more. My
> personal preference is not to heat either of them, I like both cold,
> thinly sliced in a sandwich... in fact just today I went to Sam's Club
> and bought four 4 packs (16 cans) of Hormel Spam... how many of yoose
> can boast they've more than a dozen cans of Spam in their larder... how
> many would have the balls to admit it.
>
> Sheldon

We knows ya got lossa balls Shel' honey! ;-)

I prefer it fried.
It's also not bad in Omelets on a camping trip......

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

TheAlligator

"Orc General" > wrote:

>How do you prepare luncheon meat for eating. I am talking about Hormel's
>Spam that you buy at the grocery.

Ahhh, Spam. A weakness born in my childhood that never left me. Even
the jokes about Spam offend me. My mom always fried it in butter,
then served it on whole wheat toast with melted cheese and mustard or
mayonaise, according to preference. Food of the gods. As a side
note, she also served something she called "cloverleaf ham" on a
regular basis. Imagine the trauma when, as an adult, she confessed to
me that it was bologna cut 4 times in the shape of a Celtic cross to
keep it from curling. As a final off-topic side note: My first
introduction to "polenta" was as a grade-school boy when my mom served
a never-ending stream of "fried mush" for several weeks. To me, the
stuff tasted like fried popcorn and I loved it. A few years ago, I
asked her exactly how she made it. Her response was "why would you
want to eat that crap? We only had it because your dad was on strike
for 2 months, and it was all we could afford". I fix "fried mush"
quite often, to this day.
Hag & Stenni

On 5 Mar 2005 17:20:18 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>Orc General wrote:
>> How do you prepare luncheon meat for eating. I am talking about

>Hormel's
>> Spam that you buy at the grocery.
>>
>> What I do normally is have a frying pan on low heat. Slice the spam

>bar
>> into thin slices and toss it in the frying pan to heat it up to

>almost a
>> brownish colour.
>>
>> How do you normally eat this thing? Can it be eaten raw right out of

>the
>> rectangular can?

>I guess by "luncheon meat" you mean *spiced ham*. I happen to like
>Hormel's Spam but I don't think it qualifies as spiced ham. I happen
>like Boar's Head "spiced ham" better, but it costs 2.5 times more. My
>personal preference is not to heat either of them, I like both cold,
>thinly sliced in a sandwich... in fact just today I went to Sam's Club
>and bought four 4 packs (16 cans) of Hormel Spam... how many of yoose
>can boast they've more than a dozen cans of Spam in their larder... how
>many would have the balls to admit it.
>
>Sheldon

no sadly i have only 8 cans onhand atm...hmmm time to go shopping, my
larder is depleted...chuckle...hag k

Pull a Loraine Bobit (cut of Waynes Penis) to reply
BOB

Orc General wrote:
> How do you prepare luncheon meat for eating. I am
> talking about Hormel's Spam that you buy at the grocery.
>
> What I do normally is have a frying pan on low heat.
> Slice the spam bar into thin slices and toss it in the
> frying pan to heat it up to almost a brownish colour.
>
> How do you normally eat this thing? Can it be eaten raw
> right out of the rectangular can?

Grilled. Over a high heat charcoal fire.

BOB

BOB

Sheldon wrote:
> Orc General wrote:
>> How do you prepare luncheon meat for eating. I am
>> talking about Hormel's Spam that you buy at the grocery.
>>
>> What I do normally is have a frying pan on low heat.
>> Slice the spam bar into thin slices and toss it in the
>> frying pan to heat it up to almost a brownish colour.
>>
>> How do you normally eat this thing? Can it be eaten raw
>> right out of the rectangular can?

> I guess by "luncheon meat" you mean *spiced ham*. I
> happen to like Hormel's Spam but I don't think it
> qualifies as spiced ham. I happen like Boar's Head
> "spiced ham" better, but it costs 2.5 times more. My
> personal preference is not to heat either of them, I like
> both cold, thinly sliced in a sandwich... in fact just
> today I went to Sam's Club and bought four 4 packs (16
> cans) of Hormel Spam... how many of yoose can boast
> they've more than a dozen cans of Spam in their larder...
> how many would have the balls to admit it.
>
> Sheldon

I never buy more than one of the 4 packs at a time, so the most I have on
hand at once is 4 or less.
I like it grilled over a hot charcoal fire.

BOB

spam musubi (aka spam 'sushi' from hawaii):

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._12652,00.html

______
http://www.indiecookbooks.com
nothing but reviews of independent cookbooks from churches, community
groups, and self-published authors.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Sheldon" > wrote in message

> how many of yoose
> can boast they've more than a dozen cans of Spam in their larder... how
> many would have the balls to admit it.
>
> Sheldon

Nope, only six.

Charles Gifford

"D.A.Martinich" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Speaking of cooked luncheon meat, I remember hearing a Country song
> many years ago describing a jailhouse meal of fried baloney. And then
> I found out, when friends moved to Canada that fried baloney with
> maple syrup was popular up there in the Frozen North. It's an
> interesting world....
>
> D.M.

I ate balogna that way as a youth in San Diego (Escondido) --- except I ate
it with Log Cabin syrup which was cheaper or dark Karo syrup which was
cheaper still. I still fry bologna now and then but in olive oil and no
syrup.

Charlie

Charles Gifford

" BOB" > wrote in message
> Orc General wrote:
> >
> > How do you normally eat this thing? Can it be eaten raw
> > right out of the rectangular can?

> Grilled. Over a high heat charcoal fire.
>
> BOB

Indeed Bob. It makes a great "hamburger" that way.

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"Orc General" > wrote in message
> How do you prepare luncheon meat for eating. I am talking about Hormel's
> Spam that you buy at the grocery.
>
> What I do normally is have a frying pan on low heat. Slice the spam bar
> into thin slices and toss it in the frying pan to heat it up to almost a
> brownish colour.
>
> How do you normally eat this thing? Can it be eaten raw right out of the
> rectangular can?

I am amused that I am eating Spam for dinner tonight. Your post is certainly
timely. I will cut the block in half to make 2 "fillets". One slice I will
eat in a couple of days. The other slice I will fry until slightly browned
and heated through. I will eat it with assorted vegetables and boiled new
potatoes dripping in butter. Pears will follow. Thus will my supper be
actualized but its promise unfulfilled until I complete it with strong
coffee and 1/2 lb. of See's Chocolates.

Charlie, proud Spam eater

Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 05 Mar 2005 09:13:05p, The Ranger wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Charles Gifford > proclaimed in message
> ink.net...
> [snip]
>> Charlie, proud Spam eater

> Just how many Guinness have you had?! <EG>
>
> The Ranger

Heh! Charlie probably made Spam and Guinness stew!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
The Ranger

Charles Gifford > proclaimed in message
ink.net...
[snip]
> Charlie, proud Spam eater

Just how many Guinness have you had?! <EG>

The Ranger

The Ranger

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in message
> On Sat 05 Mar 2005 09:13:05p, The Ranger wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> > Charles Gifford > proclaimed in message

ink.net...
> > [snip]
> >> Charlie, proud Spam eater

> > Just how many Guinness have you had?! <EG>
> >

> Heh! Charlie probably made Spam and Guinness stew!

Of that I have NO doubt!

The "Tipple" Ranger

Damsel in dis Dress

"Sheldon" >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>I like both cold,
>thinly sliced in a sandwich... in fact just today I went to Sam's Club
>and bought four 4 packs (16 cans) of Hormel Spam... how many of yoose
>can boast they've more than a dozen cans of Spam in their larder... how
>many would have the balls to admit it.

If I had 16 cans of Spam in my cupboards, I'd kill myself.

That being said, if you're ever in Southern Minnesota, I'll bet you'd have
a wonderful time at the Spam Museum in Austin. It's a lot of fun, and if
you're interested, you can learn a lot about it. Anything there is to know
about Spam - it's there.
http://www.spam.com/

When Archon and I went there, we discovered that Spam is made in Denmark,
but isn't sold there. He'd never tried the stuff. He seems to still be
alive after the experience.

Do you have any idea how many different flavors of Spam are available? At
least a dozen.

Sorry. I just woke up and I'm babbling.

Carol

Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 05 Mar 2005 11:05:30p, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> If I had 16 cans of Spam in my cupboards, I'd kill myself.

If I had that many, my homeless donation would be much bigger.

> Sorry. I just woke up and I'm babbling.

Like a brook! :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Damsel in dis Dress

"Orc General" >, if that's their real name,
wrote:

>How do you prepare luncheon meat for eating. I am talking about Hormel's
>Spam that you buy at the grocery.
>
>What I do normally is have a frying pan on low heat. Slice the spam bar
>into thin slices and toss it in the frying pan to heat it up to almost a
>brownish colour.

That's exactly what I do, every 5 years or so. I fry it in butter until
well browned and eat it on squishy white bread (with more butter). When
the next 5 year purchase comes along, I'll probably get the lower sodium
variety.

>How do you normally eat this thing? Can it be eaten raw right out of the
>rectangular can?

You can if you want to. I find the texture repulsive, but if you're able
and willing to eat it that way, go for it.

Carol

Katra

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> "Sheldon" >, if that's their real name, wrote:
>
> >I like both cold,
> >thinly sliced in a sandwich... in fact just today I went to Sam's Club
> >and bought four 4 packs (16 cans) of Hormel Spam... how many of yoose
> >can boast they've more than a dozen cans of Spam in their larder... how
> >many would have the balls to admit it.

> If I had 16 cans of Spam in my cupboards, I'd kill myself.

<giggles>
I personally don't buy that stuff, but my dad does and adores the
"turkey spam".

<sigh>

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Katra

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> "Orc General" >, if that's their real name,
> wrote:
>
> >How do you prepare luncheon meat for eating. I am talking about Hormel's
> >Spam that you buy at the grocery.
> >
> >What I do normally is have a frying pan on low heat. Slice the spam bar
> >into thin slices and toss it in the frying pan to heat it up to almost a
> >brownish colour.

> That's exactly what I do, every 5 years or so. I fry it in butter until
> well browned and eat it on squishy white bread (with more butter). When
> the next 5 year purchase comes along, I'll probably get the lower sodium
> variety.
>
> >How do you normally eat this thing? Can it be eaten raw right out of the
> >rectangular can?

> You can if you want to. I find the texture repulsive, but if you're able
> and willing to eat it that way, go for it.
>
> Carol

Spam salad:

1 can turkey spam, chopped,
4 tbs. dill relish
1 tsp. mustard
1/2 cup lime mayonaisse (or coolwhip if you are wierd <G>)
1 small can minced black olives (I think those are 4 oz.???)
2 fresh roma tomatoes, diced

Mix all together and serve on squishy white bread with
cleaned lettuce leaves, or well washed and drained fresh spinach leaves.
--
K.
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 05 Mar 2005 11:36:34p, Katra wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article >,
> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>
>> "Orc General" >, if that's their real
>> name, wrote:
>>
>> >How do you prepare luncheon meat for eating. I am talking about
>> >Hormel's Spam that you buy at the grocery.
>> >
>> >What I do normally is have a frying pan on low heat. Slice the spam
>> >bar into thin slices and toss it in the frying pan to heat it up to
>> >almost a brownish colour.

>> That's exactly what I do, every 5 years or so. I fry it in butter
>> until well browned and eat it on squishy white bread (with more
>> butter). When the next 5 year purchase comes along, I'll probably get
>> the lower sodium variety.
>>
>> >How do you normally eat this thing? Can it be eaten raw right out of
>> >the rectangular can?

>> You can if you want to. I find the texture repulsive, but if you're
>> able and willing to eat it that way, go for it.
>>
>> Carol

> Spam salad:
>
> 1 can turkey spam, chopped,
> 4 tbs. dill relish
> 1 tsp. mustard
> 1/2 cup lime mayonaisse (or coolwhip if you are wierd <G>)
> 1 small can minced black olives (I think those are 4 oz.???)
> 2 fresh roma tomatoes, diced
>
> Mix all together and serve on squishy white bread with
> cleaned lettuce leaves, or well washed and drained fresh spinach leaves.

Nothing could disguise it enough for me to eat it. Please don't try to
convince me. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Katra

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Sat 05 Mar 2005 11:36:34p, Katra wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > In article >,
> > Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> >> That's exactly what I do, every 5 years or so. I fry it in butter
> >> until well browned and eat it on squishy white bread (with more
> >> butter). When the next 5 year purchase comes along, I'll probably get
> >> the lower sodium variety.

> >> You can if you want to. I find the texture repulsive, but if you're
> >> able and willing to eat it that way, go for it.
> >>
> >> Carol

> > Spam salad:
> >
> > 1 can turkey spam, chopped,
> > 4 tbs. dill relish
> > 1 tsp. mustard
> > 1/2 cup lime mayonaisse (or coolwhip if you are wierd <G>)
> > 1 small can minced black olives (I think those are 4 oz.???)
> > 2 fresh roma tomatoes, diced
> >
> > Mix all together and serve on squishy white bread with
> > cleaned lettuce leaves, or well washed and drained fresh spinach leaves.

> Nothing could disguise it enough for me to eat it. Please don't try to
> convince me. :-)
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

It was worth a shot....... ;-D

The recipe above is also suitable for chicken or tuna salad as well!
Minced olives add a whole 'nuther dimension to tuna salad, and you can
skip the relish.
--
K.
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 05 Mar 2005 11:56:20p, Katra wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article >,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> On Sat 05 Mar 2005 11:36:34p, Katra wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> > Spam salad:
>> >
>> > 1 can turkey spam, chopped, 4 tbs. dill relish
>> > 1 tsp. mustard
>> > 1/2 cup lime mayonaisse (or coolwhip if you are wierd <G>)
>> > 1 small can minced black olives (I think those are 4 oz.???)
>> > 2 fresh roma tomatoes, diced
>> >
>> > Mix all together and serve on squishy white bread with cleaned
>> > lettuce leaves, or well washed and drained fresh spinach leaves.

>> Nothing could disguise it enough for me to eat it. Please don't try to
>> convince me. :-)
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> It was worth a shot....... ;-D
>
> The recipe above is also suitable for chicken or tuna salad as well!
> Minced olives add a whole 'nuther dimension to tuna salad, and you can
> skip the relish.

That would certainly do for tuna salad, and I'd keep the relish in!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Katra

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Sat 05 Mar 2005 11:56:20p, Katra wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > In article >,
> > Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> >> Nothing could disguise it enough for me to eat it. Please don't try to
> >> convince me. :-)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Wayne Boatwright

> > It was worth a shot....... ;-D
> >
> > The recipe above is also suitable for chicken or tuna salad as well!
> > Minced olives add a whole 'nuther dimension to tuna salad, and you can
> > skip the relish.

> That would certainly do for tuna salad, and I'd keep the relish in!
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

I would too, but that's two sources of salty ingredient so I was not
sure how others would feel. :-)
--
K.

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 06 Mar 2005 12:28:04a, Katra wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article >,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> On Sat 05 Mar 2005 11:56:20p, Katra wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> > It was worth a shot....... ;-D
>> >
>> > The recipe above is also suitable for chicken or tuna salad as well!
>> > Minced olives add a whole 'nuther dimension to tuna salad, and you
>> > can skip the relish.

>> That would certainly do for tuna salad, and I'd keep the relish in!
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> I would too, but that's two sources of salty ingredient so I was not
> sure how others would feel. :-)

Understood. I don't eat fast food or very much prepared or pre-package
food, so I don't worry too much about high salt levels. I won't give up
pickles and olives. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Katra

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Sun 06 Mar 2005 12:28:04a, Katra wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > In article >,
> > Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> >> That would certainly do for tuna salad, and I'd keep the relish in!
> >>
> >> --
> >> Wayne Boatwright

> > I would too, but that's two sources of salty ingredient so I was not
> > sure how others would feel. :-)

> Understood. I don't eat fast food or very much prepared or pre-package
> food, so I don't worry too much about high salt levels. I won't give up
> pickles and olives. :-)

Mmmmm... Neither will I, and I also don't have to worry too much about
sodium anymore since we totally overhauled our diets to more fresh
foods, but I'm still always concious of it. It causes fluid retention
which is just uncomfortable! :-P

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Bob

Carol wrote:

> That's exactly what I do, every 5 years or so. I fry it in butter until
> well browned and eat it on squishy white bread (with more butter). When
> the next 5 year purchase comes along, I'll probably get the lower sodium
> variety.

Last time I tried Spam (at least five years ago), it was WAY too salty for
me to tolerate. Then a couple years ago, during a quasi-Iron-Chef
discussion, I came up with an idea which I think works fairly well.

The challenge was to make a meal using the following HORRIBLE starting
ingredients:

Deli macaroni salad
Cool Whip
Supermarket tomatoes (the hard-but-red-because-of-ethylene kind)
Spam
Canned asparagus

Here's what I came up with for the asparagus and Spam:

"Since the asparagus is unavoidably mushy anyway, I'd go ahead and puree it,
mix it with eggs, melted butter, and milk, and make asparagus-and-Spam
chawanmushi. (A chawanmushi is the Japanese version of a quiche. An egg
mixture is put into a bowl along with other flavoring ingredients and the
bowl is steamed.) Normally, chawanmushi is made with dashi (miso stock), but
in this case I'm going to be putting cubes of Spam into the bowl to flavor
it; dashi would make the dish too salty so milk is used instead. I'd flavor
the egg-asparagus mixture with a bit of lemon juice, lemon zest, and white
pepper (thus mirroring the flavors of asparagus with hollandaise sauce). The
Spam would be cut into cubes about an inch-and-a-half tall, and a cube would
be placed into the bottom of each small bowl. The egg mixture would be
poured over the Spam and a few ringlets of chopped scallion would be floated
on top. Then the bowls would be steamed until the mixture is just firm."

(If anyone's interested, I can provide the entire menu that I came up with,
as well as the menu from my competitor.)

Bob

Jessica V.

Orc General wrote:

> How do you prepare luncheon meat for eating. I am talking about Hormel's
> Spam that you buy at the grocery.
>
> What I do normally is have a frying pan on low heat. Slice the spam bar
> into thin slices and toss it in the frying pan to heat it up to almost a
> brownish colour.
>
> How do you normally eat this thing? Can it be eaten raw right out of the
> rectangular can?

I run it through the meat grinder, add chopped green pepper and onion,
mix in some mayo and make it into sandwiches. Damn I haven't had Spam
salad in ages.

Jessica
sandy

I read somewhere that spam was made from pig's snouts, turned me off for
awhile, but i still get my one can once a month, and eat it sliced on white
bread with mustard.

"TheAlligator" > wrote in message
> "Orc General" > wrote:
>
>>How do you prepare luncheon meat for eating. I am talking about Hormel's
>>Spam that you buy at the grocery.

> Ahhh, Spam. A weakness born in my childhood that never left me. Even
> the jokes about Spam offend me. My mom always fried it in butter,
> then served it on whole wheat toast with melted cheese and mustard or
> mayonaise, according to preference. Food of the gods. As a side
> note, she also served something she called "cloverleaf ham" on a
> regular basis. Imagine the trauma when, as an adult, she confessed to
> me that it was bologna cut 4 times in the shape of a Celtic cross to
> keep it from curling. As a final off-topic side note: My first
> introduction to "polenta" was as a grade-school boy when my mom served
> a never-ending stream of "fried mush" for several weeks. To me, the
> stuff tasted like fried popcorn and I loved it. A few years ago, I
> asked her exactly how she made it. Her response was "why would you
> want to eat that crap? We only had it because your dad was on strike
> for 2 months, and it was all we could afford". I fix "fried mush"
> quite often, to this day.

TheAlligator

"sandy" > wrote:

>I read somewhere that spam was made from pig's snouts, turned me off for
>awhile, but i still get my one can once a month, and eat it sliced on white
>bread with mustard.

Oh, but Sandy - if you knew me, you'd know that pig snout sandwiches
are my greatest weakness - heaven on a plate.
Fudge

Personally, I would not feed this stuff to my dog but you could try an
Oriental Twist. SPAM SUSHI. Make up sushi rice with some sweet Mirin type
rice vinegar. Compress the cooled sushi rice into the Spam can as a mould.
Remove rice block from can and place finely sliced slabs of spam over the
rice. Serve with great flair. Serve with a budget white wine. Lots of it!!!!
Possible dipping sauces/condiments could include yellow mustard or ketchup.
URRRRRPP!!!!

Farmer John

Wayne Boatwright

http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the
>>World! 120,000+ Newsgroups ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms -
>>Total Privacy via Encryption =----

> You don't know what you're missing. Next to squirrels with gravy and
> BBQ'ed pig snout sandwiches, fried baloney and spam are way up the
> food chain. Or didn't you have a childhood <G>?

My childhood didn't include any of that, thank God! Our family must have
already been further up the food chain. :-) My mother's housekeeper used
to tell of roasting possums, and we were quite happy to only have heard
about it.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
zxcvbob

sandy wrote:
> I read somewhere that spam was made from pig's snouts, turned me off for
> awhile, but i still get my one can once a month, and eat it sliced on white
> bread with mustard.

The original Spam is made from ham and pork "picnics"* It's really good
quality meat; the problem is that it's chunked and formed into a
can-shaped loaf -- so it's not readily identifiable as being made from
good cuts of cured pork. I don't much care for the reduced sodium Spam
or some of the other variations because it's adulterated with chicken
and turkey meat.

Best regards,
Bob

*The name "Spam" actually was derived (it's an acronym of sorts) from
"shoulder pork and ham".