Posted to rec.food.cooking
William[_5_] William[_5_] is offline

Default Is there a way to slice meat thinly as luncheon meat at home?

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 05:33:37 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
> wrote:

>At a deli, they use a special meat slicer, but, is there something
>affordable we can use at home to slice luncheon meat thinly?
> https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8816/1...bf58106a_c.jpg
>
>I have my sister and her kids staying with me for a few months (don't
>ask), and we pack them a lunch every school day, so I picked up big hunks
>of Costco ham, turkey, and cheese, figuring I'd slice it up for the kids
>to make sandwiches.
> https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7700/1...64c263f4_c.jpg
>
>But I can't manually knife the stuff as thinly as they do with the
>professional rotating blade meat slicers at the supermarket.
>
>Is there a shop tool that's common that we can use to slice this meat up
>thinly? Or do I have to buy an expensive meat slicer (which is probably
>too expensive to be worthwhile)?
>
>Anyone slice their own luncheon meat thinly at home?
>What tool do you use?

Why not just buy sliced meat? How much meat will you have to slice to
justify $1,500 for a small Hobart slicer? Do you ever see Deli's using
the $50 slicers? Shop tools are not generally designed to be FDA
Approved and meet sanitation standards for processing food. Have you
ever seen what happens at your grocer's meat department after the
Butcher's are done with work for the day? Is your kitchen set up to
properly sanitize the equipment after you're done slicing?

William