Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

Default Is there a way to slice meat thinly as luncheon meat at home?

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 17:20:12 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 4/22/2015 3:15 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
>
>> He has the answer. An Amazon meat slicer with over 300 reviews
>> averaging 4 stars. What was it, about 60 bucks?
>>

>Read some of the 1 star reviews. They are really crappy for any type of
>serious use.

What, is he opening a deli?
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On 4/22/2015 2:36 PM, Gary wrote:
> "Danny D." wrote:
>
>> But I have a lot of good quality shop tools, so, my *first* hope is
>> that I can simply buy a special thin stainless-steel blade and jig
>> for, say, my Makita miter saw or my circular saw or use a table saw
>> with a special setup, etc.
>>
>> I was hoping someone else had tried the shop-tool approach, and had
>> recommendations and ideas for me.
>>
>> I'm sure most cooks would shudder at using a shop tool, but, it's just
>> a motor and blade after all, so, with a special blade, and some kind
>> of clever jig setup, I don't see why an existing common shop tool
>> wouldn't do the job as well.

> You insist on using your shop tools?
> Use your lathe to make shaved lunchmeat rather than sliced.
> No need to buy anything new.
> Just sharpen one bit to razor sharp and make sure the
> machine is cleaned well before and after.
>
> G.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-x...od-Lathe/H8259

SALE!
Reg. $235.00 $215.00
Freight: $49.00
Total: $264.00
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/22/2015 12:28 PM, Helpful person wrote:

> Why would anyone want to use a slicer? If the meat is from a supermarket they'll do it for you.

When we run the smoker, we do about 40 pounds of meat at a time. When
the meat is done, we refrigerate it overnight, then slice it all on our
slicer and portion it in one pound plastic bags and freeze. (brisket and
pork shoulder... bone slides out of the shoulder before refrigeration).

Slicing that much meat by hand would be a PITA. Cleaning the machine is
also a minor PITA so we only use it when we have large quantities of
meat to process.

I doubt that the supermarket would do that for me... or that a
supermarket would slice ANY meat cooked at anyone's home. They have no
way of knowing what sanitary conditions that roast was cooked and stored
under. They would not risk contaminating their machine and facility with
meat of an unknown sanitary quality.

George L
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On 4/22/2015 3:20 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 4/22/2015 3:15 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
>
>> He has the answer. An Amazon meat slicer with over 300 reviews
>> averaging 4 stars. What was it, about 60 bucks?
>>

> Read some of the 1 star reviews. They are really crappy for any type of
> serious use.

For $72 I'd not feel bad about his one, reviews say it cleans easily.

http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-FS-200-F...ds=meat+slicer

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 11:35:24 -0700 (PDT), Gregory Morrow
> wrote:

>Steve wrote:

>> > Bullshit, they're the know nothings who couldn't make it here who were
>> > too embarrased to demonstrate their ineptitude.

>> > Which proves you have no business in a kitchen.
>> >
>> > Why? They're expensive, very expensive for a true commercial machine
>> > (well over a grand), take up a lot of space, very heavy to move, and a
>> > bitch to clean... plus for anyone who is a klutz with a knife who
>> > can't slice bologna by hand it would be far too dangerous to be using
>> > a motorized meat slicer... many deli clerks are missing finger tips.
>> > But there are simple tricks for slicing deli at home; a sharp knife is
>> > essential, much safer/controlable than a dull knife... and for home
>> > slicing, fancy not being too important, first slice the hunk of
>> > bologna in half longitudinally, creating a flat for steadiness helps a
>> > lot plus slicing through less depth makes it far easier to control
>> > thickness... can do the same with a canned ham or roast beef, start by
>> > slicing in half to create a flat and shorten the slicing depth by
>> > half... who gives a ratz b-hind if you build a sandwich with half
>> > slices of salami... you'll not see or taste any difference... and
>> > eventually you'll gain skill so won't require the training wheels
>> > technique, you'll be able to slice full sized thin, even slices of
>> > even 8" diameter mortadela. Personally I have no use or need for a
>> > slicing machine at home, in fact I wouldn't want one for free... they
>> > are a BITCH to clean. Also, when one cooks a large roast beef for
>> > entertaining nine times out of ten the butcher at the store where you
>> > purchased it will have it machine sliced for free... always a good
>> > idea to introduce oneself to the store's meat department staff...
>> > custom ordering larger roasts than one typically finds in the display
>> > ensures better quality cuts, and not something that was cut and
>> > wrapped the day before. None of yoose douchebags need a slicing
>> > machine, yoose ALL need a decent sized electric meat grinder.
>> > Yesterday morning I bought a gorgeous ten pound top round roast, soon
>> > as I got home I sliced it into two 5 lb roasts, froze one and ground
>> > the other, great 12 oz burgers for dinner, on kaiser rolls... got four
>> > more 12 oz burgers in the freezer.

>> You are the master of prattle. Go Shelly!

>But why *would* you need a professional meat slicer for *one* person Steve...or are you also having Om over to dine a lot...???

Om wouldn't dine with dopey dwarfy even if he promised dessert was to
tongue her kiwi clit! LOL-LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

taxed and spent wrote:

>What does "need" have to do with it? How many households have more TVs than
>people? I like my Hobart slicer, even though it doesn't get much use.

Same reason your peepee doesn't get much use.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 17:20:12 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On 4/22/2015 3:15 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
>
> > He has the answer. An Amazon meat slicer with over 300 reviews
> > averaging 4 stars. What was it, about 60 bucks?
> >

> Read some of the 1 star reviews. They are really crappy for any type of
> serious use.

He wasn't looking for anything long term, he just wanted so slice some
lunch meat because his sister and her children were moving in with him
for a "few months", which a normal person would interpret as
significantly less than a year.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On 2015-04-22 2:59 AM, Danny D. wrote:
> sf wrote, on Tue, 21 Apr 2015 23:09:34 -0700:
>
>> You need either a very sharp knife and enough skill to make your
>> slices even or invest in a meat slicer.

> I have tried hand sharpening knives, and that's a bust (for me).
>
> But I have a lot of good quality shop tools, so, my *first* hope is
> that I can simply buy a special thin stainless-steel blade and jig
> for, say, my Makita miter saw or my circular saw or use a table saw
> with a special setup, etc.
>
> I was hoping someone else had tried the shop-tool approach, and had
> recommendations and ideas for me. Otherwise, I will try it on my own,
> but, of course, it will take a lot of experimentation and tests.
>
> Worst case, I can buy a crappy lower-quality dedicated meat slicer,
> but, I don't yet understand why a quality shop tool can't be outfitted
> to do the job.
>
> I'm sure most cooks would shudder at using a shop tool, but, it's just
> a motor and blade after all, so, with a special blade, and some kind
> of clever jig setup, I don't see why an existing common shop tool
> wouldn't do the job as well.
>
> But, of course, I have no experience in this, so that's why I ask.

Use an apple or potato peeler.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 16:41:33 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 17:20:12 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> On 4/22/2015 3:15 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
>>
>> > He has the answer. An Amazon meat slicer with over 300 reviews
>> > averaging 4 stars. What was it, about 60 bucks?
>> >

>> Read some of the 1 star reviews. They are really crappy for any type of
>> serious use.

>He wasn't looking for anything long term, he just wanted so slice some
>lunch meat because his sister and her children were moving in with him
>for a "few months", which a normal person would interpret as
>significantly less than a year.

For a couple three months it makes much more sence to shop cold cuts
at the local deli, they slice for free, FATSO ASS! Eating cold cuts
every day for three months his sister and her children would have a
much fatter ass you you, sf.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 06:35:28 -0700, "taxed and spent"
> wrote:

>"Danny D." > wrote in message
>> At a deli, they use a special meat slicer, but, is there something
>> affordable we can use at home to slice luncheon meat thinly?
>> https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8816/1...bf58106a_c.jpg
>>
>> I have my sister and her kids staying with me for a few months (don't
>> ask), and we pack them a lunch every school day, so I picked up big hunks
>> of Costco ham, turkey, and cheese, figuring I'd slice it up for the kids
>> to make sandwiches.
>> https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7700/1...64c263f4_c.jpg
>>
>> But I can't manually knife the stuff as thinly as they do with the
>> professional rotating blade meat slicers at the supermarket.
>>
>> Is there a shop tool that's common that we can use to slice this meat up
>> thinly? Or do I have to buy an expensive meat slicer (which is probably
>> too expensive to be worthwhile)?
>>
>> Anyone slice their own luncheon meat thinly at home?
>> What tool do you use?

>I use my Hobart. I have used the $150 slicers and they are surprisingly ok.
>You might just consider slicing as thin as you can with a knife, and then
>julienning. If they don't like it, maybe they will leave your home sooner.

What gets me is the Verizon commercial where the snotty kids don't want
to visit gramma because there's nothing to do, and the enabling parents
teach their kids to be snotty by telling them they only have to stay for
a little while.

In the commercial the gramma gets FIOS so the kids can ignore her when
they visit. It's good that Verizon promotes family values.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 10:20:14 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:

>On 4/22/2015 7:53 AM, Don Phillipson wrote:
>> "Danny D." > wrote in message
>>
>>> At a deli, they use a special meat slicer, but, is there something
>>> affordable we can use at home to slice luncheon meat thinly?
>>> https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8816/1...bf58106a_c.jpg
>>> . . .
>>> Is there a shop tool that's common that we can use to slice this meat up
>>> thinly? Or do I have to buy an expensive meat slicer (which is probably
>>> too expensive to be worthwhile)?

>> An electric carving knife may do what you want.
>> (It lets us slice smoked salmon as thinly as the
>> texture of the flesh allows. It cost $10 used at a
>> pawnbroker's.)
>>

>Whoa, a person's got to be hard-up to pawn an electric knife.

Or he just doesn't use it. I only use mine to cut foam rubber.

>If you paid $10 the seller must have gotten about $3 for it.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On 4/22/2015 6:34 PM, micky wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 10:20:14 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:

>>> An electric carving knife may do what you want.
>>> (It lets us slice smoked salmon as thinly as the
>>> texture of the flesh allows. It cost $10 used at a
>>> pawnbroker's.)
>>>

>> Whoa, a person's got to be hard-up to pawn an electric knife.

> Or he just doesn't use it. I only use mine to cut foam rubber.
>>
>> If you paid $10 the seller must have gotten about $3 for it.

A pawn shop gives 25% of the value, that was a desperation move.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/22/2015 7:41 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 17:20:12 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> On 4/22/2015 3:15 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
>>
>>> He has the answer. An Amazon meat slicer with over 300 reviews
>>> averaging 4 stars. What was it, about 60 bucks?
>>>

>> Read some of the 1 star reviews. They are really crappy for any type of
>> serious use.

> He wasn't looking for anything long term, he just wanted so slice some
> lunch meat because his sister and her children were moving in with him
> for a "few months", which a normal person would interpret as
> significantly less than a year.

Yeah... but he also cross posted this to a bunch of tool heads so I'm
thinking it's a troll. A little late for Spring Break but hey...

I see no need to spend $$ on a slicer unless it will get some long term
(more than a "few months") use.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/22/2015 8:14 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 16:41:33 -0700, sf > wrote:

>>> Read some of the 1 star reviews. They are really crappy for any type of
>>> serious use.

>> He wasn't looking for anything long term, he just wanted so slice some
>> lunch meat because his sister and her children were moving in with him
>> for a "few months", which a normal person would interpret as
>> significantly less than a year.

> For a couple three months it makes much more sence to shop cold cuts
> at the local deli, they slice for free, FATSO ASS! Eating cold cuts
> every day for three months his sister and her children would have a
> much fatter ass you you, sf.

I do wish you'd get over pontificating about sf's ass. It makes you
look very childish.

Jill
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On 4/22/2015 5:24 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 17:20:12 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> On 4/22/2015 3:15 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
>>
>>> He has the answer. An Amazon meat slicer with over 300 reviews
>>> averaging 4 stars. What was it, about 60 bucks?
>>>

>> Read some of the 1 star reviews. They are really crappy for any type of
>> serious use.

> What, is he opening a deli?

Some failed after 3 uses, 10 uses. Not a deli, but I'd expect much more
than 1- uses.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 17:20:12 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> On 4/22/2015 3:15 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
>>
>> > He has the answer. An Amazon meat slicer with over 300 reviews
>> > averaging 4 stars. What was it, about 60 bucks?
>> >

>> Read some of the 1 star reviews. They are really crappy for any type of
>> serious use.

> He wasn't looking for anything long term, he just wanted so slice some
> lunch meat because his sister and her children were moving in with him
> for a "few months", which a normal person would interpret as
> significantly less than a year.

I have used such a small slicer, not sure the make but I think it was from
Macy's at the time, in a restaurant with very minor slicing needs. It
worked fine. I have also used the real Hobart slicers for much bigger and
frequent jobs. Depends on what you want. I really like the automatic
settings on the big boys.

One of the links has a lot of bad reviews, the other has mostly pretty good
reviews.

So, tell your family to buy one that they think they will like before they
show up on your doorstep.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/22/2015 7:41 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 17:20:12 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> On 4/22/2015 3:15 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
>>
>>> He has the answer. An Amazon meat slicer with over 300 reviews
>>> averaging 4 stars. What was it, about 60 bucks?
>>>

>> Read some of the 1 star reviews. They are really crappy for any type of
>> serious use.

> He wasn't looking for anything long term, he just wanted so slice some
> lunch meat because his sister and her children were moving in with him
> for a "few months", which a normal person would interpret as
> significantly less than a year.

According to the reviewers, it failed in 3 to 10 uses. Given the number
of sandwiches needed over the next three months, I'd say it may not hold
up even short term.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 11:35:24 -0700 (PDT), Gregory Morrow
> > wrote:
>
> >Steve wrote:

> >> You are the master of prattle. Go Shelly!

> >But why *would* you need a professional meat slicer for *one* person Steve...or are you also having Om over to dine a lot...???

> Om wouldn't dine with dopey dwarfy even if he promised dessert was to
> tongue her kiwi clit! LOL-LOL

)

If Steve had a pub it'd be named "The Withered Wee-wee" ...

Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill the Spill wrote:

> On 4/22/2015 8:14 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> >> He wasn't looking for anything long term, he just wanted so slice some
> >> lunch meat because his sister and her children were moving in with him
> >> for a "few months", which a normal person would interpret as
> >> significantly less than a year.

> > For a couple three months it makes much more sence to shop cold cuts
> > at the local deli, they slice for free, FATSO ASS! Eating cold cuts
> > every day for three months his sister and her children would have a
> > much fatter ass you you, sf.
> >

> I do wish you'd get over pontificating about sf's ass. It makes you
> look very childish.

We could always jape about your alcoholism...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 4/22/2015 7:41 PM, sf wrote:

>>> Read some of the 1 star reviews. They are really crappy for any type of
>>> serious use.

>> He wasn't looking for anything long term, he just wanted so slice some
>> lunch meat because his sister and her children were moving in with him
>> for a "few months", which a normal person would interpret as
>> significantly less than a year.
>>

> According to the reviewers, it failed in 3 to 10 uses. Given the number
> of sandwiches needed over the next three months, I'd say it may not hold
> up even short term.

look at the other link to a different slicer. many good reviews.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 21:34:48 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 4/22/2015 5:24 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

>>> Read some of the 1 star reviews. They are really crappy for any type of
>>> serious use.

>> What, is he opening a deli?
>>

>Some failed after 3 uses, 10 uses. Not a deli, but I'd expect much more
>than 1- uses.

I throw out those bad reviews when the overwhelming majority are
positive.
If you go by bad reviews you'll never buy anything. Learned that when
I was building this computer over 5 years ago. Quality motherboard
(ASUS) and power supply (Corsair). I thought I would find 4-5 star
reviews. Plenty of reviews on Newegg, but enough whiners to bring
every MB and PS down to 3 1/2 stars or less.
When I realized that applied to them all, 3 1/2 became my new minimum
standard. It's still running with no issues.
Maybe dissatisfied customers are more prone to write reviews.
With computers many people don't know how to put them together, and
with meat slicers many can't operate them correctly.
Of course some parts are legitimately DOA - I've had it happen to me -
and maybe those motors failed. There's always some element of luck.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 21:31:55 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 4/22/2015 8:14 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> >> He wasn't looking for anything long term, he just wanted so slice some
> >> lunch meat because his sister and her children were moving in with him
> >> for a "few months", which a normal person would interpret as
> >> significantly less than a year.

> > For a couple three months it makes much more sence to shop cold cuts
> > at the local deli, they slice for free, FATSO ASS! Eating cold cuts
> > every day for three months his sister and her children would have a
> > much fatter ass you you, sf.
> >

> I do wish you'd get over pontificating about sf's ass. It makes you
> look very childish.

In a way. Mainly it makes him look like he has a big time fat fetish.
He has turned me into his fat goddess and is lusting after me.
Everything else he had to say in his drunken stupor was designed to
appear on topic, but that was way beyond his capability.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 20:33:48 -0700 (PDT), Gregory Morrow
> wrote:

> Jill the Spill wrote:

> > > For a couple three months it makes much more sence to shop cold cuts
> > > at the local deli, they slice for free, FATSO ASS! Eating cold cuts
> > > every day for three months his sister and her children would have a
> > > much fatter ass you you, sf.
> > >

> > I do wish you'd get over pontificating about sf's ass. It makes you
> > look very childish.

> We could always jape about your alcoholism...

Sheldon is the drunk, not her.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, April 22, 2015 at 1:49:28 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:

> I am in UK and this is very similar to the one I have
>
> http://www.lakeland.co.uk/13665/My-K...150422064811:s
>
> I am sure you could get something similar.

That looks EXACTLY like the one I have. EXACTLY.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 18:43:00 -0700, "taxed and spent"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message

> >> Read some of the 1 star reviews. They are really crappy for any type of
> >> serious use.

> > He wasn't looking for anything long term, he just wanted so slice some
> > lunch meat because his sister and her children were moving in with him
> > for a "few months", which a normal person would interpret as
> > significantly less than a year.
> >

> I have used such a small slicer, not sure the make but I think it was from
> Macy's at the time, in a restaurant with very minor slicing needs. It
> worked fine. I have also used the real Hobart slicers for much bigger and
> frequent jobs. Depends on what you want. I really like the automatic
> settings on the big boys.
>
> One of the links has a lot of bad reviews, the other has mostly pretty good
> reviews.
>
> So, tell your family to buy one that they think they will like before they
> show up on your doorstep.

I don't think any of that is what they want. It's all about him and
what he thinks is "saving money". Of course, we've concluded he's
trolling - but so what. It's still a thread about food - which is
something that's sorely lacking in rfc.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/23/2015 2:24 AM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 20:33:48 -0700 (PDT), Gregory Morrow
> > wrote:
>
>> Jill the Spill wrote:

>>> I do wish you'd get over pontificating about sf's ass. It makes you
>>> look very childish.

>> We could always jape about your alcoholism...

> Sheldon is the drunk, not her.

Hmmmm. When was the last time Sheldon posted about Crystal Palace
vodka? That would be 4/21. Apparently he not only drinks it, he also
uses it to clean his counter tops. (See the post titled "Bottoms Up".)
Maybe that's what happens when you slop vodka on the counter and in
wiping up the spill discovers it's also a great cleaning product. LOL

Greg needs to go back to FB or wherever the heck he's been. He's not
funny now, never was funny. And since Greg is ***, if he stays around
Sheldon will have a fine time talking about his proclivities soon enough.

Jill
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On 04/22/2015 11:40 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
> If you go by bad reviews you'll never buy anything. Learned that when
> I was building this computer over 5 years ago. Quality motherboard
> (ASUS) and power supply (Corsair). I thought I would find 4-5 star
> reviews. Plenty of reviews on Newegg, but enough whiners to bring
> every MB and PS down to 3 1/2 stars or less.

Sometimes the good reviews don't work out in the long run. I bought an
Antec Sonata case with an Antec power supply. It was very well rated and
is in fact an excellent case, very easy to assemble and none of the
razor sharp edges that leave you bloody when working with cheap cases.

When the power supply failed in a couple of years, a little research
showed that particular model had problems and the failure was very
typical. Unfortunately the reviews weren't prescient enough to predict
failure years down the road. Shit happens.

I'd still recommend Antec. The cases are excellent as are their power
supplies most of the time.

Quantity counts too. 374 reviews averaging out to 4 stars beats 3 five
star reviews in my book. That theory doesn't always work when you're
looking at new or high end products that aren't mainstream.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 20:14:55 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> For a couple three months it makes much more sence to shop cold cuts
>> at the local deli, they slice for free, FATSO ASS!

> They don't slice "for free". That lunchmeat you buy at the deli
> counter is marked up 300% over the wholesale price. If you go to a
> restaurant supply distributor you'll pay about 1/3rd - 2/5ths the
> price as you would at the deli. They're one of the biggest markups in
> the grocery store.
>
> -sw

here is an example where size matters.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/23/2015 12:23 AM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 21:31:55 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> For a couple three months it makes much more sence to shop cold cuts
>>> at the local deli, they slice for free, FATSO ASS! Eating cold cuts
>>> every day for three months his sister and her children would have a
>>> much fatter ass you you, sf.
>>>

>> I do wish you'd get over pontificating about sf's ass. It makes you
>> look very childish.
>>

> In a way. Mainly it makes him look like he has a big time fat fetish.
> He has turned me into his fat goddess and is lusting after me.
> Everything else he had to say in his drunken stupor was designed to
> appear on topic, but that was way beyond his capability.

Odd that Shelly doesn't wax poetic over your breasts (his normal
obsession), something Freudian there perchance?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/23/2015 8:37 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 20:14:55 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> For a couple three months it makes much more sence to shop cold cuts
>> at the local deli, they slice for free, FATSO ASS!

> They don't slice "for free". That lunchmeat you buy at the deli
> counter is marked up 300% over the wholesale price. If you go to a
> restaurant supply distributor you'll pay about 1/3rd - 2/5ths the
> price as you would at the deli. They're one of the biggest markups in
> the grocery store.
>
> -sw

Most people can't justify gorging themselves on multiple pounds of
wholesale lunch meat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/23/2015 8:43 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> We could always jape about your alcoholism...

> Ouch. That's no way to talk about your boyfriend.

Projecting again, little dumpling?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 09:25:57 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:

> On 4/23/2015 12:23 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 21:31:55 -0400, jmcquown >
> > wrote:

> >> I do wish you'd get over pontificating about sf's ass. It makes you
> >> look very childish.
> >>

> > In a way. Mainly it makes him look like he has a big time fat fetish.
> > He has turned me into his fat goddess and is lusting after me.
> > Everything else he had to say in his drunken stupor was designed to
> > appear on topic, but that was way beyond his capability.
> >

> Odd that Shelly doesn't wax poetic over your breasts (his normal
> obsession), something Freudian there perchance?

It's pretty simple: he's in lust and inference isn't his strong point,
so he takes every opportunity to not read between the lines and state
the obvious as an excuse to spew his drunken fat ass comments. He's a
pathetic old man who just needs a high five - with a chair to the
head.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 07:54:07 -0700, "taxed and spent"
> wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 20:14:55 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> >
> >> For a couple three months it makes much more sence to shop cold cuts
> >> at the local deli, they slice for free, FATSO ASS!

> > They don't slice "for free". That lunchmeat you buy at the deli
> > counter is marked up 300% over the wholesale price. If you go to a
> > restaurant supply distributor you'll pay about 1/3rd - 2/5ths the
> > price as you would at the deli. They're one of the biggest markups in
> > the grocery store.
> >
> > -sw

> here is an example where size matters.

Ah, yes. There he goes again, pretending the general public can waltz
in and shop at Restaurant Depot on a whim. At least Marty enters BBQ
competitions and got his non-profit number honestly.

FYI: *Restaurant Depot is wholesale only. To qualify for a free
membership account, on your first visit you need to show a valid
reseller's permit (business license) or tax-exempt certificate (for a
non-profit organization) and show proof that you are authorized to
purchase for said business or organization.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 10:25:01 -0400, pltrgyst > wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, how often do you use it? How often do you think
> you need to use it to make it worthwhile owning, cleaning, and storing it?

For me - when the ratio of cost (in whole dollars) vs times used
reaches 1:1, it becomes worth it. Cleaning is tedious, but not
difficult, so that's a non-issue - but I'd add that the type of person
who won't use the food processor simply because "it's too hard to
clean" shouldn't even consider buying a food slicer.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/23/2015 10:03 AM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 09:25:57 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:
>
>> On 4/23/2015 12:23 AM, sf wrote:

>>> In a way. Mainly it makes him look like he has a big time fat fetish.
>>> He has turned me into his fat goddess and is lusting after me.
>>> Everything else he had to say in his drunken stupor was designed to
>>> appear on topic, but that was way beyond his capability.
>>>

>> Odd that Shelly doesn't wax poetic over your breasts (his normal
>> obsession), something Freudian there perchance?

> It's pretty simple: he's in lust and inference isn't his strong point,
> so he takes every opportunity to not read between the lines and state
> the obvious as an excuse to spew his drunken fat ass comments. He's a
> pathetic old man who just needs a high five - with a chair to the
> head.

LOL!

Fact is when their pencil lead runs out all that's left is mouth.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/23/2015 10:11 AM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 07:54:07 -0700, "taxed and spent"
> > wrote:

>>> They don't slice "for free". That lunchmeat you buy at the deli
>>> counter is marked up 300% over the wholesale price. If you go to a
>>> restaurant supply distributor you'll pay about 1/3rd - 2/5ths the
>>> price as you would at the deli. They're one of the biggest markups in
>>> the grocery store.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> here is an example where size matters.
>>

> Ah, yes. There he goes again, pretending the general public can waltz
> in and shop at Restaurant Depot on a whim. At least Marty enters BBQ
> competitions and got his non-profit number honestly.

Oh puleeze, Marty has a license to over-souce good meat, he's been
enabled by the state to ruin good ribs.

> FYI: *Restaurant Depot is wholesale only. To qualify for a free
> membership account, on your first visit you need to show a valid
> reseller's permit (business license) or tax-exempt certificate (for a
> non-profit organization) and show proof that you are authorized to
> purchase for said business or organization.

There are non-wholesale restaurant supply stores too.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On 4/23/2015 1:40 AM, Vic Smith wrote:

>>> What, is he opening a deli?
>>>

>> Some failed after 3 uses, 10 uses. Not a deli, but I'd expect much more
>> than 1- uses.

> I throw out those bad reviews when the overwhelming majority are
> positive.
> If you go by bad reviews you'll never buy anything. Learned that when
> I was building this computer over 5 years ago.

As I said, you have to read them. Some can be tossed out. People
downgrade reviews for the dumbest things, like it was not the color they
expected or the Ford bumper does not fit my Chevy.
I also toss the five stars that say "I got it and it worked great for
the five minutes I've used it so far" while the negative reviews state
they are bad when the problems showed after repeated use.

The other consideration is common sense. A sub $100 slicer is not going
to perform the same as a $3500 real deli slicer, nor would I expect it
too. .