FoodBanter.com

-   -   Is there a way to slice meat thinly as luncheon meat at home? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/433217-there-way-slice-meat.html)

Danny D.[_3_] 22-04-2015 06:33 AM

Is there a way to slice meat thinly as luncheon meat at home?

At a deli, they use a special meat slicer, but, is there something
affordable we can use at home to slice luncheon meat thinly?
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8816/1...bf58106a_c.jpg

I have my sister and her kids staying with me for a few months (don't
ask), and we pack them a lunch every school day, so I picked up big hunks
of Costco ham, turkey, and cheese, figuring I'd slice it up for the kids
to make sandwiches.
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7700/1...64c263f4_c.jpg

But I can't manually knife the stuff as thinly as they do with the
professional rotating blade meat slicers at the supermarket.

Is there a shop tool that's common that we can use to slice this meat up
thinly? Or do I have to buy an expensive meat slicer (which is probably
too expensive to be worthwhile)?

Anyone slice their own luncheon meat thinly at home?
What tool do you use?

[email protected][_2_] 22-04-2015 06:54 AM

On Wednesday, April 22, 2015 at 12:34:39 AM UTC-5, Danny D. wrote:

> At a deli, they use a special meat slicer, but, is there something
> affordable we can use at home to slice luncheon meat thinly?
> https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8816/1...bf58106a_c.jpg

You can buy electric meat slicers for around $50. I have one and it's rather handy.

sf[_9_] 22-04-2015 07:09 AM

Is there a way to slice meat thinly as luncheon meat at home?

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 05:33:37 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
> wrote:

> At a deli, they use a special meat slicer, but, is there something
> affordable we can use at home to slice luncheon meat thinly?
> https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8816/1...bf58106a_c.jpg
>
> I have my sister and her kids staying with me for a few months (don't
> ask), and we pack them a lunch every school day, so I picked up big hunks
> of Costco ham, turkey, and cheese, figuring I'd slice it up for the kids
> to make sandwiches.
> https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7700/1...64c263f4_c.jpg
>
> But I can't manually knife the stuff as thinly as they do with the
> professional rotating blade meat slicers at the supermarket.
>
> Is there a shop tool that's common that we can use to slice this meat up
> thinly? Or do I have to buy an expensive meat slicer (which is probably
> too expensive to be worthwhile)?
>
> Anyone slice their own luncheon meat thinly at home?
> What tool do you use?

You need either a very sharp knife and enough skill to make your
slices even or invest in a meat slicer. Personally, since your family
won't be staying with you very long - a slicer cost won't be cost
effective unless you can pick one up somewhere for almost free. I
wouldn't slice turkey with a slicer anyway, but that's my preference.

--

sf

Julie Bove[_2_] 22-04-2015 07:25 AM

"Danny D." > wrote in message
> At a deli, they use a special meat slicer, but, is there something
> affordable we can use at home to slice luncheon meat thinly?
> https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8816/1...bf58106a_c.jpg
>
> I have my sister and her kids staying with me for a few months (don't
> ask), and we pack them a lunch every school day, so I picked up big hunks
> of Costco ham, turkey, and cheese, figuring I'd slice it up for the kids
> to make sandwiches.
> https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7700/1...64c263f4_c.jpg
>
> But I can't manually knife the stuff as thinly as they do with the
> professional rotating blade meat slicers at the supermarket.
>
> Is there a shop tool that's common that we can use to slice this meat up
> thinly? Or do I have to buy an expensive meat slicer (which is probably
> too expensive to be worthwhile)?
>
> Anyone slice their own luncheon meat thinly at home?
> What tool do you use?

You can buy a slicer for home use but they're not cheap.

Danny D.[_3_] 22-04-2015 07:43 AM

Julie Bove wrote, on Tue, 21 Apr 2015 23:25:40 -0700:

> You can buy a slicer for home use but they're not cheap.

Basically I want the least expensive *usable* meat slicer I can get
(even better if it's a tool that I already have, such as a dremel tool,
or a grinder motor, or a sawszall, etc.).

I should note that I googled the deli-style slicers, which run the gamut
in cost from about just over a hundred dollars to over a thousand dollars.
http://tinyurl.com/pm84rwo

With that kind of price range, there are going to be a *lot* of decisions
and tradeoffs that have to be made at the lower end.

If I simply by a $2,000 meat slicer, I'm sure I'll be happy with it; but,
to get one for less than a hundred will take the advice of others who have
actual experience in the lower end models.

Questions will arise such as blade material and type, diameter, motor power,
etc., that I don't even know to ask yet.

Only someone who is either happy or unhappy with the inexpensive slicers will
be able to advise me which way to go, or not to go, I would think.

Here's an example of a relatively inexpensive slicer, but I don't know if
its any good:
http://www.amazon.com/Continental-PS.../dp/B00196VYY0
http://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-Pr.../dp/B008BTIMXE

But maybe there is a fitting for my radial arm saw, or for my circular saw?

Ophelia[_11_] 22-04-2015 07:49 AM

"Danny D." > wrote in message
> At a deli, they use a special meat slicer, but, is there something
> affordable we can use at home to slice luncheon meat thinly?
> https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8816/1...bf58106a_c.jpg
>
> I have my sister and her kids staying with me for a few months (don't
> ask), and we pack them a lunch every school day, so I picked up big hunks
> of Costco ham, turkey, and cheese, figuring I'd slice it up for the kids
> to make sandwiches.
> https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7700/1...64c263f4_c.jpg
>
> But I can't manually knife the stuff as thinly as they do with the
> professional rotating blade meat slicers at the supermarket.
>
> Is there a shop tool that's common that we can use to slice this meat up
> thinly? Or do I have to buy an expensive meat slicer (which is probably
> too expensive to be worthwhile)?
>
> Anyone slice their own luncheon meat thinly at home?
> What tool do you use?

I am in UK and this is very similar to the one I have

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/13665/My-K...150422064811:s

I am sure you could get something similar.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Danny D.[_3_] 22-04-2015 07:59 AM

sf wrote, on Tue, 21 Apr 2015 23:09:34 -0700:

> You need either a very sharp knife and enough skill to make your
> slices even or invest in a meat slicer.

I have tried hand sharpening knives, and that's a bust (for me).

But I have a lot of good quality shop tools, so, my *first* hope is
that I can simply buy a special thin stainless-steel blade and jig
for, say, my Makita miter saw or my circular saw or use a table saw
with a special setup, etc.

I was hoping someone else had tried the shop-tool approach, and had
recommendations and ideas for me. Otherwise, I will try it on my own,
but, of course, it will take a lot of experimentation and tests.

Worst case, I can buy a crappy lower-quality dedicated meat slicer,
but, I don't yet understand why a quality shop tool can't be outfitted
to do the job.

I'm sure most cooks would shudder at using a shop tool, but, it's just
a motor and blade after all, so, with a special blade, and some kind
of clever jig setup, I don't see why an existing common shop tool
wouldn't do the job as well.

But, of course, I have no experience in this, so that's why I ask.

J Burns 22-04-2015 08:00 AM

On 4/22/15 1:33 AM, Danny D. wrote:

> Anyone slice their own luncheon meat thinly at home?
> What tool do you use?

Some chefs recommend a chef's knife for meat, but their slices don't
look thin to me.

To slice meat thinly, I use a knife with a thin blade. The one I have
doesn't take or hold an edge like my chef's knife, but it beats my
chef's knife for slicing meat.

If you look at ham slicing knives at amazon, they'll show you lots. Some
have a Granton edge. I've read that's good for slicing meat thin.

Zak W 22-04-2015 10:16 AM

Is there a way to slice meat thinly as luncheon meat at home?

"Danny D." > wrote in
:

> Subject: Is there a way to slice meat thinly as luncheon meat at
> home? From: "Danny D." >
> Newsgroups: alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking
>
> Julie Bove wrote, on Tue, 21 Apr 2015 23:25:40 -0700:
>
>> You can buy a slicer for home use but they're not cheap.

> Basically I want the least expensive *usable* meat slicer I can get
> (even better if it's a tool that I already have, such as a dremel
> tool, or a grinder motor, or a sawszall, etc.).

Unbelieveable. If I didn't see it myself, I just would not believe the
kind of questions you ask. What an A.H.

Jeßus[_21_] 22-04-2015 11:44 AM

Is there a way to slice meat thinly as luncheon meat at home?

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 05:33:37 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
> wrote:

>At a deli, they use a special meat slicer, but, is there something
>affordable we can use at home to slice luncheon meat thinly?
> https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8816/1...bf58106a_c.jpg
>
>I have my sister and her kids staying with me for a few months (don't
>ask), and we pack them a lunch every school day, so I picked up big hunks
>of Costco ham, turkey, and cheese, figuring I'd slice it up for the kids
>to make sandwiches.
> https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7700/1...64c263f4_c.jpg
>
>But I can't manually knife the stuff as thinly as they do with the
>professional rotating blade meat slicers at the supermarket.
>
>Is there a shop tool that's common that we can use to slice this meat up
>thinly? Or do I have to buy an expensive meat slicer (which is probably
>too expensive to be worthwhile)?
>
>Anyone slice their own luncheon meat thinly at home?
>What tool do you use?

I have a very old Acme brand slicer, it's surprisingly super sharp and
super fine with it's cuts. Mostly made of cast iron and quite heavy.

Most of the time I use one of these:
http://www.wusthof.com/_usa/Products...+4111/id-7231/

I originally bought it to round out my set of wusthof knives and found
it's one of the knives that gets the most use. You can cut very fine
and accurately with one of these knives. Great on tomatoes.

Julie Bove[_2_] 22-04-2015 11:58 AM

"Danny D." > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote, on Tue, 21 Apr 2015 23:25:40 -0700:
>
>> You can buy a slicer for home use but they're not cheap.

> Basically I want the least expensive *usable* meat slicer I can get
> (even better if it's a tool that I already have, such as a dremel tool,
> or a grinder motor, or a sawszall, etc.).
>
> I should note that I googled the deli-style slicers, which run the gamut
> in cost from about just over a hundred dollars to over a thousand dollars.
> http://tinyurl.com/pm84rwo
>
> With that kind of price range, there are going to be a *lot* of decisions
> and tradeoffs that have to be made at the lower end.
>
> If I simply by a $2,000 meat slicer, I'm sure I'll be happy with it; but,
> to get one for less than a hundred will take the advice of others who have
> actual experience in the lower end models.
>
> Questions will arise such as blade material and type, diameter, motor
> power,
> etc., that I don't even know to ask yet.
>
> Only someone who is either happy or unhappy with the inexpensive slicers
> will
> be able to advise me which way to go, or not to go, I would think.
>
> Here's an example of a relatively inexpensive slicer, but I don't know if
> its any good:
> http://www.amazon.com/Continental-PS.../dp/B00196VYY0
> http://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-Pr.../dp/B008BTIMXE
>
> But maybe there is a fitting for my radial arm saw, or for my circular
> saw?

Since that is Amazon, I would pay heed to the reviews there. I don't have a
slicer. I don't have room to store one.

Unquestionably Confused 22-04-2015 12:37 PM

On 4/22/2015 1:59 AM, Danny D. wrote:
> sf wrote, on Tue, 21 Apr 2015 23:09:34 -0700:
>
>> You need either a very sharp knife and enough skill to make your
>> slices even or invest in a meat slicer.

[snip]

> I'm sure most cooks would shudder at using a shop tool, but, it's just
> a motor and blade after all, so, with a special blade, and some kind
> of clever jig setup, I don't see why an existing common shop tool
> wouldn't do the job as well.
>
> But, of course, I have no experience in this, so that's why I ask.

You give a link on Amazon to a couple of slicers you could afford. Each
has a rather extensive listing of something called reviews which, since
you're so inexperienced, are statements made by owners of the actual
product, who've used the product for a time and yet here you are asking
how to jerry-rig a Unisaw or Dremel Moto-tool.

Are you the tool?

Read the damn reviews!

Stormin Mormon[_6_] 22-04-2015 01:10 PM

On 4/22/2015 1:33 AM, Danny D. wrote:
> Is there a shop tool that's common that we can use to slice this meat up
> thinly? Or do I have to buy an expensive meat slicer (which is probably
> too expensive to be worthwhile)?
>
> Anyone slice their own luncheon meat thinly at home?
> What tool do you use?

I think Billy Mays hawked such a device, but he
died years ago. Nothing out there to my knowledge.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

William[_5_] 22-04-2015 01:17 PM

Is there a way to slice meat thinly as luncheon meat at home?

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 05:33:37 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
> wrote:

>At a deli, they use a special meat slicer, but, is there something
>affordable we can use at home to slice luncheon meat thinly?
> https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8816/1...bf58106a_c.jpg
>
>I have my sister and her kids staying with me for a few months (don't
>ask), and we pack them a lunch every school day, so I picked up big hunks
>of Costco ham, turkey, and cheese, figuring I'd slice it up for the kids
>to make sandwiches.
> https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7700/1...64c263f4_c.jpg
>
>But I can't manually knife the stuff as thinly as they do with the
>professional rotating blade meat slicers at the supermarket.
>
>Is there a shop tool that's common that we can use to slice this meat up
>thinly? Or do I have to buy an expensive meat slicer (which is probably
>too expensive to be worthwhile)?
>
>Anyone slice their own luncheon meat thinly at home?
>What tool do you use?

Why not just buy sliced meat? How much meat will you have to slice to
justify $1,500 for a small Hobart slicer? Do you ever see Deli's using
the $50 slicers? Shop tools are not generally designed to be FDA
Approved and meet sanitation standards for processing food. Have you
ever seen what happens at your grocer's meat department after the
Butcher's are done with work for the day? Is your kitchen set up to
properly sanitize the equipment after you're done slicing?

William

micky 22-04-2015 01:45 PM

Is there a way to slice meat thinly as luncheon meat at home?

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 05:33:37 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
> wrote:

>At a deli, they use a special meat slicer, but, is there something
>affordable we can use at home to slice luncheon meat thinly?
> https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8816/1...bf58106a_c.jpg
>
>I have my sister and her kids staying with me for a few months (don't
>ask), and we pack them a lunch every school day, so I picked up big hunks
>of Costco ham, turkey, and cheese, figuring I'd slice it up for the kids
>to make sandwiches.
> https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7700/1...64c263f4_c.jpg
>
>But I can't manually knife the stuff as thinly as they do with the
>professional rotating blade meat slicers at the supermarket.
>
>Is there a shop tool that's common that we can use to slice this meat up
>thinly? Or do I have to buy an expensive meat slicer (which is probably
>too expensive to be worthwhile)?
>
>Anyone slice their own luncheon meat thinly at home?
>What tool do you use?

You need a Flimzu Knife.

Cuts meat so thin you can use it as a screen protector on your smart
phone.

Act now. Call 1=900-FLIMZU (extra charges may apply)

Or write BOX FLIMZU, NY, NY zipcode FLIMZU.

dadiOH[_2_] 22-04-2015 01:57 PM

Danny D. wrote:
> At a deli, they use a special meat slicer, but, is there something
> affordable we can use at home to slice luncheon meat thinly?
> https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8816/1...bf58106a_c.jpg
>
> I have my sister and her kids staying with me for a few months (don't
> ask), and we pack them a lunch every school day, so I picked up big
> hunks of Costco ham, turkey, and cheese, figuring I'd slice it up for
> the kids to make sandwiches.
> https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7700/1...64c263f4_c.jpg
>
> But I can't manually knife the stuff as thinly as they do with the
> professional rotating blade meat slicers at the supermarket.
>
> Is there a shop tool that's common that we can use to slice this meat
> up thinly? Or do I have to buy an expensive meat slicer (which is
> probably too expensive to be worthwhile)?

Freeze the meat and use your joiner like a huge microtome :)

--

dadiOH
____________________________

James Silverton[_4_] 22-04-2015 02:18 PM

On 4/22/2015 8:17 AM, William wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 05:33:37 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
> > wrote:
>
>> At a deli, they use a special meat slicer, but, is there something
>> affordable we can use at home to slice luncheon meat thinly?
>> https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8816/1...bf58106a_c.jpg
>>
>> I have my sister and her kids staying with me for a few months (don't
>> ask), and we pack them a lunch every school day, so I picked up big hunks
>> of Costco ham, turkey, and cheese, figuring I'd slice it up for the kids
>> to make sandwiches.
>> https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7700/1...64c263f4_c.jpg
>>
>> But I can't manually knife the stuff as thinly as they do with the
>> professional rotating blade meat slicers at the supermarket.
>>
>> Is there a shop tool that's common that we can use to slice this meat up
>> thinly? Or do I have to buy an expensive meat slicer (which is probably
>> too expensive to be worthwhile)?
>>
>> Anyone slice their own luncheon meat thinly at home?
>> What tool do you use?

> Why not just buy sliced meat? How much meat will you have to slice to
> justify $1,500 for a small Hobart slicer? Do you ever see Deli's using
> the $50 slicers? Shop tools are not generally designed to be FDA
> Approved and meet sanitation standards for processing food. Have you
> ever seen what happens at your grocer's meat department after the
> Butcher's are done with work for the day? Is your kitchen set up to
> properly sanitize the equipment after you're done slicing?

I tend to agree with William but, if you must, Williams-Sonoma does sell
electric wheel slicers under the name Chef's Choice, $100 and $300. You
can still buy a lot of sliced meat for those prices but deli meats do
tend to have water injected and have a different texture from
home-cooked stuff.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

taxed and spent 22-04-2015 02:35 PM

"Danny D." > wrote in message
> At a deli, they use a special meat slicer, but, is there something
> affordable we can use at home to slice luncheon meat thinly?
> https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8816/1...bf58106a_c.jpg
>
> I have my sister and her kids staying with me for a few months (don't
> ask), and we pack them a lunch every school day, so I picked up big hunks
> of Costco ham, turkey, and cheese, figuring I'd slice it up for the kids
> to make sandwiches.
> https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7700/1...64c263f4_c.jpg
>
> But I can't manually knife the stuff as thinly as they do with the
> professional rotating blade meat slicers at the supermarket.
>
> Is there a shop tool that's common that we can use to slice this meat up
> thinly? Or do I have to buy an expensive meat slicer (which is probably
> too expensive to be worthwhile)?
>
> Anyone slice their own luncheon meat thinly at home?
> What tool do you use?

I use my Hobart. I have used the $150 slicers and they are surprisingly ok.
You might just consider slicing as thin as you can with a knife, and then
julienning. If they don't like it, maybe they will leave your home sooner.

Ed Pawlowski 22-04-2015 02:42 PM

On 4/22/2015 2:43 AM, Danny D. wrote:

> Here's an example of a relatively inexpensive slicer, but I don't know if
> its any good:
> http://www.amazon.com/Continental-PS.../dp/B00196VYY0
> http://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-Pr.../dp/B008BTIMXE
>
> But maybe there is a fitting for my radial arm saw, or for my circular saw?

There are enough bad review on them that I'd pass. I'd be willing to
spend more if it really worked.

Rather than buy processed luncheon meats, why not roast a real hunk of
beef and slice it, or a real turkey breast? That is what I'd do if I
had one. I really don't have the space for it for the little use we'd
give it.

Don Phillipson[_3_] 22-04-2015 02:53 PM

"Danny D." > wrote in message

> At a deli, they use a special meat slicer, but, is there something
> affordable we can use at home to slice luncheon meat thinly?
> https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8816/1...bf58106a_c.jpg
> . . .
> Is there a shop tool that's common that we can use to slice this meat up
> thinly? Or do I have to buy an expensive meat slicer (which is probably
> too expensive to be worthwhile)?

An electric carving knife may do what you want.
(It lets us slice smoked salmon as thinly as the
texture of the flesh allows. It cost $10 used at a
pawnbroker's.)
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

sf[_9_] 22-04-2015 03:15 PM

Is there a way to slice meat thinly as luncheon meat at home?

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 06:59:50 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
> wrote:

> sf wrote, on Tue, 21 Apr 2015 23:09:34 -0700:
>
> > You need either a very sharp knife and enough skill to make your
> > slices even or invest in a meat slicer.

> I have tried hand sharpening knives, and that's a bust (for me).
>
> But I have a lot of good quality shop tools, so, my *first* hope is
> that I can simply buy a special thin stainless-steel blade and jig
> for, say, my Makita miter saw or my circular saw or use a table saw
> with a special setup, etc.
>
> I was hoping someone else had tried the shop-tool approach, and had
> recommendations and ideas for me. Otherwise, I will try it on my own,
> but, of course, it will take a lot of experimentation and tests.
>
> Worst case, I can buy a crappy lower-quality dedicated meat slicer,
> but, I don't yet understand why a quality shop tool can't be outfitted
> to do the job.
>
> I'm sure most cooks would shudder at using a shop tool, but, it's just
> a motor and blade after all, so, with a special blade, and some kind
> of clever jig setup, I don't see why an existing common shop tool
> wouldn't do the job as well.
>
> But, of course, I have no experience in this, so that's why I ask.

Where do you plan to find that "special blade"? To say nothing of the
conditions of your tools and shop that would come into contact with
food. Buy the cheapest meat slicer you can find because it won't
matter how long it lasts. With any luck, they'll be gone before you
need to replace it.

That said, I think you're wasting your time and money. If spare cash
is really burning a hole in your pocket - invest in knife sharpening
lessons.

--

sf

Col. Edmund Burke 22-04-2015 03:24 PM

Is there a way to slice meat thinly at home?

"Danny D." > wrote in message

Always remember, dear sir, to beat yer meat prior to slicing.
Just sayin'.

Col. Edmund Burke 22-04-2015 03:25 PM

sf[_9_] 22-04-2015 03:37 PM

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 08:17:14 -0400, William > wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 05:33:37 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
> > wrote:
>
> >At a deli, they use a special meat slicer, but, is there something
> >affordable we can use at home to slice luncheon meat thinly?
> > https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8816/1...bf58106a_c.jpg
> >
> >I have my sister and her kids staying with me for a few months (don't
> >ask), and we pack them a lunch every school day, so I picked up big hunks
> >of Costco ham, turkey, and cheese, figuring I'd slice it up for the kids
> >to make sandwiches.
> > https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7700/1...64c263f4_c.jpg
> >
> >But I can't manually knife the stuff as thinly as they do with the
> >professional rotating blade meat slicers at the supermarket.
> >
> >Is there a shop tool that's common that we can use to slice this meat up
> >thinly? Or do I have to buy an expensive meat slicer (which is probably
> >too expensive to be worthwhile)?
> >
> >Anyone slice their own luncheon meat thinly at home?
> >What tool do you use?

> Why not just buy sliced meat?

It's obviously too easy for what he claims will be a temporary
situation.

> How much meat will you have to slice to justify $1,500 for a small Hobart slicer?

Apparently it doesn't matter. Logic is not part of his plan. He has
money he wants to spend and time he wants to waste.

> Do you ever see Deli's using
> the $50 slicers? Shop tools are not generally designed to be FDA
> Approved and meet sanitation standards for processing food. Have you
> ever seen what happens at your grocer's meat department after the
> Butcher's are done with work for the day? Is your kitchen set up to
> properly sanitize the equipment after you're done slicing?

It sounded like he planned to be slicing food in his shop, so
sanitation be damned.

--

sf

NEMO 22-04-2015 04:23 PM

On 4/22/2015 7:24 AM, Colon Edmud Burchese wrote:
> "Danny D." > wrote in message
>
> Always remember, dear sir, to beat yer meat prior to slicing.
> Just sayin'.

Do you even gots any meat to beat, Coloon? LOLK

W. Lohman 22-04-2015 04:56 PM

On 4/22/2015 12:27 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Apr 2015 22:54:29 -0700 (PDT),
> wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, April 22, 2015 at 12:34:39 AM UTC-5, Danny D. wrote:
>>>
>>> At a deli, they use a special meat slicer, but, is there something
>>> affordable we can use at home to slice luncheon meat thinly?

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8816/1...bf58106a_c.jpg

>> You can buy electric meat slicers for around $50. I have one and
>> it's rather handy.

> What model do you have and what are the pros and cons?
>
> -sw

The pro is being able to thin slice dwarf without clogging the blade.

W. Lohman 22-04-2015 05:00 PM

On 4/22/2015 2:08 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I've always wanted a commercial meat slicer.
>
> -sw

No one cares, dwarf.

brooklyn1 22-04-2015 05:10 PM

Sqwertz wrote:
>Danny D. wrote:
>
>> If I simply buy a $2,000 meat slicer, I'm sure I'll be happy with it; but,
>> to get one for less than a hundred will take the advice of others who have
>> actual experience in the lower end models.
>>
>> Questions will arise such as blade material and type, diameter, motor power,
>> etc., that I don't even know to ask yet.

>If you just want ham slices, use a knife.
>
>But if you want serious feedback which you won't get here on Usenet
>RFC, try the Facebook group:

Bullshit, they're the know nothings who couldn't make it here who were
too embarrased to demonstrate their ineptitude.

>https://www.facebook.com/groups/thesaltcuredpig/
>
>I've always wanted a commercial meat slicer.

Which proves you have no business in a kitchen.

Why? They're expensive, very expensive for a true commercial machine
(well over a grand), take up a lot of space, very heavy to move, and a
bitch to clean... plus for anyone who is a klutz with a knife who
can't slice bologna by hand it would be far too dangerous to be using
a motorized meat slicer... many deli clerks are missing finger tips.
But there are simple tricks for slicing deli at home; a sharp knife is
essential, much safer/controlable than a dull knife... and for home
slicing, fancy not being too important, first slice the hunk of
bologna in half longitudinally, creating a flat for steadiness helps a
lot plus slicing through less depth makes it far easier to control
thickness... can do the same with a canned ham or roast beef, start by
slicing in half to create a flat and shorten the slicing depth by
half... who gives a ratz b-hind if you build a sandwich with half
slices of salami... you'll not see or taste any difference... and
eventually you'll gain skill so won't require the training wheels
technique, you'll be able to slice full sized thin, even slices of
even 8" diameter mortadela. Personally I have no use or need for a
slicing machine at home, in fact I wouldn't want one for free... they
are a BITCH to clean. Also, when one cooks a large roast beef for
entertaining nine times out of ten the butcher at the store where you
purchased it will have it machine sliced for free... always a good
idea to introduce oneself to the store's meat department staff...
custom ordering larger roasts than one typically finds in the display
ensures better quality cuts, and not something that was cut and
wrapped the day before. None of yoose douchebags need a slicing
machine, yoose ALL need a decent sized electric meat grinder.
Yesterday morning I bought a gorgeous ten pound top round roast, soon
as I got home I sliced it into two 5 lb roasts, froze one and ground
the other, great 12 oz burgers for dinner, on kaiser rolls... got four
more 12 oz burgers in the freezer.

brooklyn1 22-04-2015 05:14 PM

Is there a way to slice meat thinly as luncheon meat at home?

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 03:58:14 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Danny D." > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote, on Tue, 21 Apr 2015 23:25:40 -0700:
>>
>>> You can buy a slicer for home use but they're not cheap.

>> Basically I want the least expensive *usable* meat slicer I can get
>> (even better if it's a tool that I already have, such as a dremel tool,
>> or a grinder motor, or a sawszall, etc.).
>>
>> I should note that I googled the deli-style slicers, which run the gamut
>> in cost from about just over a hundred dollars to over a thousand dollars.
>> http://tinyurl.com/pm84rwo
>>
>> With that kind of price range, there are going to be a *lot* of decisions
>> and tradeoffs that have to be made at the lower end.
>>
>> If I simply by a $2,000 meat slicer, I'm sure I'll be happy with it; but,
>> to get one for less than a hundred will take the advice of others who have
>> actual experience in the lower end models.
>>
>> Questions will arise such as blade material and type, diameter, motor
>> power,
>> etc., that I don't even know to ask yet.
>>
>> Only someone who is either happy or unhappy with the inexpensive slicers
>> will
>> be able to advise me which way to go, or not to go, I would think.
>>
>> Here's an example of a relatively inexpensive slicer, but I don't know if
>> its any good:
>> http://www.amazon.com/Continental-PS.../dp/B00196VYY0
>> http://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-Pr.../dp/B008BTIMXE
>>
>> But maybe there is a fitting for my radial arm saw, or for my circular
>> saw?

>Since that is Amazon, I would pay heed to the reviews there. I don't have a
>slicer. I don't have room to store one.

Those are not professional quality slicers, they don't even qualify
for newbie status... those are Toy's R Us slicers.

brooklyn1 22-04-2015 05:18 PM

Is there a way to slice meat thinly as luncheon meat at home?

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 07:49:24 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Danny D." > wrote in message
>> At a deli, they use a special meat slicer, but, is there something
>> affordable we can use at home to slice luncheon meat thinly?
>> https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8816/1...bf58106a_c.jpg
>>
>> I have my sister and her kids staying with me for a few months (don't
>> ask), and we pack them a lunch every school day, so I picked up big hunks
>> of Costco ham, turkey, and cheese, figuring I'd slice it up for the kids
>> to make sandwiches.
>> https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7700/1...64c263f4_c.jpg
>>
>> But I can't manually knife the stuff as thinly as they do with the
>> professional rotating blade meat slicers at the supermarket.
>>
>> Is there a shop tool that's common that we can use to slice this meat up
>> thinly? Or do I have to buy an expensive meat slicer (which is probably
>> too expensive to be worthwhile)?
>>
>> Anyone slice their own luncheon meat thinly at home?
>> What tool do you use?

>I am in UK and this is very similar to the one I have
>
>http://www.lakeland.co.uk/13665/My-K...150422064811:s
>
>I am sure you could get something similar.

I'd not want to clean that thing just to slice one tiny roast I can
slice by hand in under five minutes.

W. Lohman 22-04-2015 05:20 PM

On 4/22/2015 7:53 AM, Don Phillipson wrote:
> "Danny D." > wrote in message
>
>> At a deli, they use a special meat slicer, but, is there something
>> affordable we can use at home to slice luncheon meat thinly?
>> https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8816/1...bf58106a_c.jpg
>> . . .
>> Is there a shop tool that's common that we can use to slice this meat up
>> thinly? Or do I have to buy an expensive meat slicer (which is probably
>> too expensive to be worthwhile)?

> An electric carving knife may do what you want.
> (It lets us slice smoked salmon as thinly as the
> texture of the flesh allows. It cost $10 used at a
> pawnbroker's.)

Whoa, a person's got to be hard-up to pawn an electric knife.

If you paid $10 the seller must have gotten about $3 for it.

JRStern 22-04-2015 05:41 PM

Is there a way to slice meat thinly as luncheon meat at home?

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 05:33:37 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
> wrote:

>At a deli, they use a special meat slicer, but, is there something
>affordable we can use at home to slice luncheon meat thinly?
> https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8816/1...bf58106a_c.jpg
>
>I have my sister and her kids staying with me for a few months (don't
>ask), and we pack them a lunch every school day, so I picked up big hunks
>of Costco ham, turkey, and cheese, figuring I'd slice it up for the kids
>to make sandwiches.
> https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7700/1...64c263f4_c.jpg
>
>But I can't manually knife the stuff as thinly as they do with the
>professional rotating blade meat slicers at the supermarket.
>
>Is there a shop tool that's common that we can use to slice this meat up
>thinly? Or do I have to buy an expensive meat slicer (which is probably
>too expensive to be worthwhile)?
>
>Anyone slice their own luncheon meat thinly at home?
>What tool do you use?

Even the market slicers don't work as well (cut as thin) as the
industrial equipment they use to produce the pre-sliced - well,
shredded - packaged lunch meats.

But you will notice those do not comprise perfect, uniform slices,
either, they are shreds.

And you can do roughly the same shredding work with a sharp,
high-quality kitchen knife (and a cutting board underneath so you
don't dull it in the first five seconds), just learn how to use it,
and understand what the end product is supposed to look like.

And watch your thumb.

And a ninety-nine cents cheese slicer will do as well as a fancy
machine, as far as the cheese goes.

If you want perfect slices for a sandwich, well, good technique with a
sharp knife *should* do about as well as the market slicer, just a lot
more slowly, and maybe a 50% error rate, so be ready to eat the
failures.

J.

Helpful person 22-04-2015 06:28 PM

Is there a way to slice meat thinly as luncheon meat at home?

Why would anyone want to use a slicer? If the meat is from a supermarket they'll do it for you. If the meat is superior then the last thing you want is to slice it thinly. Thin slicing loses all the texture, a good thing for a cheap product.

http://www.richardfisher.com

mike 22-04-2015 06:46 PM

On 4/21/2015 10:33 PM, Danny D. wrote:
> At a deli, they use a special meat slicer, but, is there something
> affordable we can use at home to slice luncheon meat thinly?
> https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8816/1...bf58106a_c.jpg
>
> I have my sister and her kids staying with me for a few months (don't
> ask), and we pack them a lunch every school day, so I picked up big hunks
> of Costco ham, turkey, and cheese, figuring I'd slice it up for the kids
> to make sandwiches.
> https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7700/1...64c263f4_c.jpg
>
> But I can't manually knife the stuff as thinly as they do with the
> professional rotating blade meat slicers at the supermarket.
>
> Is there a shop tool that's common that we can use to slice this meat up
> thinly? Or do I have to buy an expensive meat slicer (which is probably
> too expensive to be worthwhile)?
>
> Anyone slice their own luncheon meat thinly at home?
> What tool do you use?

Slice it in half so there's a flat side to stabilize it.
Slice with a ceramic knife.

But, what are you trying to accomplish?
If it's thin meat, that's all I got.
If it'd feeding the kids, why do they care if it's a little thicker?
Put it in a blender and spread it as thinly as you like.

Gregory Morrow[_418_] 22-04-2015 07:35 PM

Steve wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 12:10:55 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
> > Sqwertz wrote:

> >>If you just want ham slices, use a knife.
> >>
> >>But if you want serious feedback which you won't get here on Usenet
> >>RFC, try the Facebook group:

> > Bullshit, they're the know nothings who couldn't make it here who were
> > too embarrased to demonstrate their ineptitude.
> >
> >>https://www.facebook.com/groups/thesaltcuredpig/
> >>
> >>I've always wanted a commercial meat slicer.

> > Which proves you have no business in a kitchen.
> >
> > Why? They're expensive, very expensive for a true commercial machine
> > (well over a grand), take up a lot of space, very heavy to move, and a
> > bitch to clean... plus for anyone who is a klutz with a knife who
> > can't slice bologna by hand it would be far too dangerous to be using
> > a motorized meat slicer... many deli clerks are missing finger tips.
> > But there are simple tricks for slicing deli at home; a sharp knife is
> > essential, much safer/controlable than a dull knife... and for home
> > slicing, fancy not being too important, first slice the hunk of
> > bologna in half longitudinally, creating a flat for steadiness helps a
> > lot plus slicing through less depth makes it far easier to control
> > thickness... can do the same with a canned ham or roast beef, start by
> > slicing in half to create a flat and shorten the slicing depth by
> > half... who gives a ratz b-hind if you build a sandwich with half
> > slices of salami... you'll not see or taste any difference... and
> > eventually you'll gain skill so won't require the training wheels
> > technique, you'll be able to slice full sized thin, even slices of
> > even 8" diameter mortadela. Personally I have no use or need for a
> > slicing machine at home, in fact I wouldn't want one for free... they
> > are a BITCH to clean. Also, when one cooks a large roast beef for
> > entertaining nine times out of ten the butcher at the store where you
> > purchased it will have it machine sliced for free... always a good
> > idea to introduce oneself to the store's meat department staff...
> > custom ordering larger roasts than one typically finds in the display
> > ensures better quality cuts, and not something that was cut and
> > wrapped the day before. None of yoose douchebags need a slicing
> > machine, yoose ALL need a decent sized electric meat grinder.
> > Yesterday morning I bought a gorgeous ten pound top round roast, soon
> > as I got home I sliced it into two 5 lb roasts, froze one and ground
> > the other, great 12 oz burgers for dinner, on kaiser rolls... got four
> > more 12 oz burgers in the freezer.

> You are the master of prattle. Go Shelly!

But why *would* you need a professional meat slicer for *one* person Steve...or are you also having Om over to dine a lot...???

--
Best
Greg

W. Lohman 22-04-2015 09:14 PM

On 4/22/2015 12:35 PM, Gregory Morrow wrote:

>> You are the master of prattle. Go Shelly!

> But why *would* you need a professional meat slicer for *one* person Steve...or are you also having Om over to dine a lot...???

I do believe she'd put that slicer to the test if he tried hitting on
her again...

Gary 22-04-2015 09:36 PM

"Danny D." wrote:

> But I have a lot of good quality shop tools, so, my *first* hope is
> that I can simply buy a special thin stainless-steel blade and jig
> for, say, my Makita miter saw or my circular saw or use a table saw
> with a special setup, etc.
>
> I was hoping someone else had tried the shop-tool approach, and had
> recommendations and ideas for me.
>
> I'm sure most cooks would shudder at using a shop tool, but, it's just
> a motor and blade after all, so, with a special blade, and some kind
> of clever jig setup, I don't see why an existing common shop tool
> wouldn't do the job as well.

You insist on using your shop tools?
Use your lathe to make shaved lunchmeat rather than sliced.
No need to buy anything new.
Just sharpen one bit to razor sharp and make sure the
machine is cleaned well before and after.

G.

Gary 22-04-2015 09:38 PM

Sqwertz wrote:

> I've always wanted a commercial meat slicer.

You would be better suited to buy a commercial hot pepper slicer. ;)

Zak W 22-04-2015 09:54 PM

Is there a way to slice meat thinly at home?

"Col. Edmund Burke" > wrote in news:mh8atq
:

> "Danny D." > wrote in message
>
> Always remember, dear sir, to beat yer meat prior to slicing.
> Just sayin'.

+1

Ed Pawlowski 22-04-2015 10:20 PM

On 4/22/2015 3:15 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

> He has the answer. An Amazon meat slicer with over 300 reviews
> averaging 4 stars. What was it, about 60 bucks?

Read some of the 1 star reviews. They are really crappy for any type of
serious use.