Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Home ground meat

I wonder if we could revisit a topic that's bound to have been discussed her
a bajillion times - how to grind your own meat. I got a meat grinder for
Christmas (and others may have too) and I'm not sure where to start. Not
how to use the thing, but how to choose meat, and if anyone is happy with
mixing animal types to make a lower fat ground meat to cook or BBQ with.
Can you help?

--
Cheryl

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:
> I wonder if we could revisit a topic that's bound to have been discussed
> her a bajillion times - how to grind your own meat. I got a meat
> grinder for Christmas (and others may have too) and I'm not sure where
> to start. Not how to use the thing, but how to choose meat, and if
> anyone is happy with mixing animal types to make a lower fat ground meat
> to cook or BBQ with. Can you help?

I generally use a packer-cut (whole) brisket to make ground beef. Chuck
roast probably works better, but it's more expensive. I cut the meat
into large chunks that will feed in the grinder hopper, and trim away
any gristle that I can. I grind it twice; once with a large-holed
plate, then mix it up, the grind again with a small plate.

The meat should be ice cold to grind well without smearing.

Pork butts or fresh "picnics" (front leg) work well for making sausage.

What else do you want to know?

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 30, 9:22�pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
> I wonder if we could revisit a topic that's bound to have been discussed her
> a bajillion times - how to grind your own meat. �I got a meat grinder for
> Christmas (and others may have too) and I'm not sure where to start. �Not
> how to use the thing, but how to choose meat, and if anyone is happy with
> mixing animal types to make a lower fat ground meat to cook or BBQ with.
> Can you help?

Which grinder?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message

> I generally use a packer-cut (whole) brisket to make ground beef. Chuck
> roast probably works better, but it's more expensive. I cut the meat into
> large chunks that will feed in the grinder hopper, and trim away any
> gristle that I can. I grind it twice; once with a large-holed plate, then
> mix it up, the grind again with a small plate.
>
> The meat should be ice cold to grind well without smearing.
>
> Pork butts or fresh "picnics" (front leg) work well for making sausage.

Same as what I do. Brisket makes great burger. Chuck and round are good but
the price goes up. Sirloin is a good flavor, but, IMO, too dry.

For meatballs, we use 50% beef, 25% each of pork and veal
For meatloaf we use 75% beef, 25% pork.

Grind up some pork and make patties for breakfast sausage. You may be able
to get a stuffer attachment for the grinder too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Cheryl" > wrote:

> I wonder if we could revisit a topic that's bound to have been discussed her
> a bajillion times - how to grind your own meat. I got a meat grinder for
> Christmas (and others may have too) and I'm not sure where to start. Not
> how to use the thing, but how to choose meat, and if anyone is happy with
> mixing animal types to make a lower fat ground meat to cook or BBQ with.
> Can you help?

It depends a lot on what you intend to use it for! For simple hamburger
meat for general use, ground chuck works well. For sausage, you need
more fat.

Ground sirloin is a bit lean for my personal tastes but it would be ok
for sauces and stuff so you'd not have to worry about draining off
grease.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Cheryl wrote:
>
> I generally use a packer-cut (whole) brisket to make ground beef. Chuck
> roast probably works better, but it's more expensive. I cut the meat into
> large chunks that will feed in the grinder hopper, and trim away any
> gristle that I can. I grind it twice; once with a large-holed plate, then
> mix it up, the grind again with a small plate.

Brisket! I knew I was forgetting something because now I do remember so
many posting that. Thanks.

> The meat should be ice cold to grind well without smearing.

Good tip. I read that in the review section for the meat grinder, too.

> Pork butts or fresh "picnics" (front leg) work well for making sausage.
>
> What else do you want to know?

That's great for a start, thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> Same as what I do. Brisket makes great burger. Chuck and round are good
> but the price goes up. Sirloin is a good flavor, but, IMO, too dry.
>
> For meatballs, we use 50% beef, 25% each of pork and veal
> For meatloaf we use 75% beef, 25% pork.
>
> Grind up some pork and make patties for breakfast sausage. You may be
> able to get a stuffer attachment for the grinder too.

Thanks Ed. The sausage attachments came with it. Can't wait to try it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message

Which grinder?
======================

This one:
http://tinyurl.com/9xw64d

or
http://www.amazon.com/Waring-Pro-MG1...745281&sr=1-11

Some of the tips in the review section indicate that it's a "home" use
machine. Fine, that's what I'm using it in. I appreciate some of the other
tips like how to not force the meat faster than the motor can take so it
lasts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Dec 30, 6:22*pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
> I wonder if we could revisit a topic that's bound to have been discussed her
> a bajillion times - how to grind your own meat. *I got a meat grinder for
> Christmas (and others may have too) and I'm not sure where to start. *Not
> how to use the thing, but how to choose meat, and if anyone is happy with
> mixing animal types to make a lower fat ground meat to cook or BBQ with.
> Can you help?

This is an area where I'm price driven. I can't remember the last
time I ground meat that was not on sale. Pork shoulder and 'country
style' ribs most often. Occasionally I'll find veal, probably
shoulder, on sale and pick it up for inclusion in meat loaf. For
hamburgers some kind of chuck is most common but I like to mix it with
bottom round or sometimes top sirloin. Then I mix that beef mixture
with a little pork sausage to make the patties. I don't make my own
sausage so can't help you there. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31, 2:11�pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message

> Which grinder?
> ======================
>
> This one:http://tinyurl.com/9xw64d
>
> orhttp://www.amazon.com/Waring-Pro-MG100-Meat-Grinder/dp/B00008ZLHM/ref....
>
> Some of the tips in the review section indicate that it's a "home" use
> machine. �Fine, that's what I'm using it in. �I appreciate some of the other
> tips like how to not force the meat faster than the motor can take so it
> lasts.

That'll work just fine. Slice the meat into long strips instead of
chunks. And you can save calories and cholesterol by using lean beef
(top round works well), cutting away fatty chunks and replacing some
fat by lightly coating the meat with olive oil.... the oil also helps
lube the grinding process.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 14:08:30 -0500, Cheryl wrote:

[....]
>> Grind up some pork and make patties for breakfast sausage. You may be
>> able to get a stuffer attachment for the grinder too.

> Thanks Ed. The sausage attachments came with it. Can't wait to try it.

Anybody have a favorite source for sausage casings??
--
Beartooth Squirreler, Wordcrafty Staffwright
Hunting is life, life hunting. That is all
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Beartooth wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 14:08:30 -0500, Cheryl wrote:
>
> [....]
>>> Grind up some pork and make patties for breakfast sausage. You may be
>>> able to get a stuffer attachment for the grinder too.

>> Thanks Ed. The sausage attachments came with it. Can't wait to try it.

> Anybody have a favorite source for sausage casings??

Check you local butcher shop. Especially this time of year, when a lot
of people like to make ethnic recipes.

I've bought them before from butcher-packer.com when I wanted larger
diameter pork casings than are readily available. (That's also where I
got my starter culture for making hard salami.)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Beartooth wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 14:08:30 -0500, Cheryl wrote:
>
> [....]
> >> Grind up some pork and make patties for breakfast sausage. You may be
> >> able to get a stuffer attachment for the grinder too.

> > Thanks Ed. The sausage attachments came with it. Can't wait to try it.

> Anybody have a favorite source for sausage casings??
> --

Our local German deli owner, with advance notice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Beartooth > wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 14:08:30 -0500, Cheryl wrote:
>
> [....]
> >> Grind up some pork and make patties for breakfast sausage. You may be
> >> able to get a stuffer attachment for the grinder too.

> > Thanks Ed. The sausage attachments came with it. Can't wait to try it.

> Anybody have a favorite source for sausage casings??

Cabela's.

But, I have one nearby. I prefer not to mail order unless I have to.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message

That'll work just fine. Slice the meat into long strips instead of
chunks. And you can save calories and cholesterol by using lean beef
(top round works well), cutting away fatty chunks and replacing some
fat by lightly coating the meat with olive oil.... the oil also helps
lube the grinding process.

===========================

Thanks. Just ground up some meat that I took out of the freezer to thaw
last night. I can't remember the cut, but it is thin sliced and I think
meant for stir fry or grilling. I like steaks cut thick so I froze it until
I was going to make something stir fried again. I cut it into long strips
and it ground up nicely. The only problem was that there was a lot of meat
still left behind the disk that wouldn't come through. It sure smells
different from ground beef that I buy in bulk and form into patties to
freeze. Better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote: It sure smells
> different from ground beef that I buy in bulk and form into patties to
> freeze. Better.

Cheryl, what grinder are you using?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 1, 7:13�pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message

> That'll work just fine. �Slice the meat into long strips instead of
> chunks. �And you can save calories and cholesterol by using lean beef
> (top round works well), cutting away fatty chunks and replacing some
> fat by lightly coating the meat with olive oil.... the oil also helps
> lube the grinding process.
>
> ===========================
>
> Thanks. �Just ground up some meat that I took out of the freezer to thaw
> last night. I can't remember the cut, but it is thin sliced and I think
> meant for stir fry or grilling. �I like steaks cut thick so I froze it until
> I was going to make something stir fried again. �I cut it into long strips
> and it ground up nicely. �The only problem was that there was a lot of meat
> still left behind the disk that wouldn't come through. �It sure smells
> different from ground beef that I buy in bulk and form into patties to
> freeze. Better.

Grinding the end from bread or a few saltines will push the extra meat
out. And it's best to grind never previously frozen meat so next time
plan a grinding day, buy lots of fresh meat so you can grind extra,
then it will be the the extra taht will be the first freezing... and
plan on a large meat loaf too... meat loaf freezes well... you can
grind all the veggies and bread for crumbs. Only thing that doesn't
grind well is garlic, it will never disperse throughout the meat and
won't cook inside the meat either... meat loaf in actuality is
sausage, and sausage makers use granulated garlic. Season your meat
strips before grinding

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybermincemeat" wrote:
> "Cheryl" wrote: �
> It sure smells different from ground beef that I buy in bulk and
> form into patties to freeze. Better.
>
> Cheryl, what grinder are you using?

Oh, stop... how many times are we going to do this... we all know
you're much too cheap to buy a grinder.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Cheryl" > wrote:

> and it ground up nicely. The only problem was that there was a lot of meat
> still left behind the disk that wouldn't come through.

Putting through a heel of bread that would otherwise be discarded will
force the rest of the meat through. I've seen it in action and it looks
like it works.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA