Old 24-04-2014, 10:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bottled water- LOL

Whoever started the bottled water thing years ago was a genius. Fooled
the entire world into thinking that city water was bad, then charging
a fortune for bottled water.

I drink bottled water at work too but I fill my bottle from the tap
each morning. I do own a Britta water filter but I rarely bother. The
ferrets get more of that, just because it's fridge cold.

Here's a mention in my newspaper the other day for "Earth Day" on the
subject:
It's an exact quote, not my opinion, although I do agree.

--------------
Myth: Bottled water is better than tap.

Truth: Tap water is clean, safe, convenient, and affordable. Hampton
Roads drinking water (my area) is continuously tested and always meets
of exceeds EPA standards for safe drinking water. Price conscious? You
can fill 1,500 glasses of tap water for about the price of a single
bottle of water.

PS- my dentist also told me that city water that adds a nip of floride
cuts down the amount of cavities in patients very highly. People with
well water or always drinking bottled water have a higher amount of
cavities.

As Marty often says: Just sayin

G.

Old 24-04-2014, 10:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 17:20:38 -0400, Gary wrote:

Whoever started the bottled water thing years ago was a genius. Fooled
the entire world into thinking that city water was bad, then charging
a fortune for bottled water.

I drink bottled water at work too but I fill my bottle from the tap
each morning. I do own a Britta water filter but I rarely bother. The
ferrets get more of that, just because it's fridge cold.

Me too,. I didn't get the whole bottled water thing until I realized
that not everyone has as good tap water as I do in St Louis MO, which
was voted to have some of the best tasting tap water in the U.S. by
some group of governor's or something. I remember my mom being up in
Chicago area when my niece was born years ago and she reported their
tap water running orange (probably rust). Then I though, "Oh yeah!"

But you're right, just on principle. Compared to the cost of tap
water, I heard it would be if someone wanted $1000 for a sandwich.
DUH! I mean, unless that's the only water you can get or something. I
buy quarts of Gatorade and pour the Gatorade down the sink and wash
out the bottles really well. Then bottle my own tap water! Wash the
bottles every once in a while and they last for months! Thern I buy
some new ones.

John Kuthe...
Old 25-04-2014, 12:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...
[...]

I drink tap water at home here, unless I am sick and then I drink Smart
Water. But I haven't always lived where tap water was safe. On Cape Cod we
had Chlordane and jet fuel in our water and no filter will remove those
things. I was forced to buy bottled water then. I also didn't like the
looks of the water in NY so opted to buy bottled there. Yes, I know they
say NY water is the best but we were on a military base and did not have
municipal water. All bets are off there.

I don't really like filters. Too many times I have run across people who
did not change theirs when they should and that's even worse than plain
water. I am sure I would fall into that category of forgetting to change.
Heh.

Old 25-04-2014, 12:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" wrote in message
[...]

I love the portability of bottled. I don't like having to try to clean a
bottle to take with me although I will do that sometimes. When the weather
isn't too hot or cold, I keep bottles of water in my van.

Old 25-04-2014, 12:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Our pediatrician told us she preferred tap water to bottled for mixing
baby formula. She said she knew what was in our local tap water and how
often it was tested. She didn't have that information about bottled
water.

Tara

Old 25-04-2014, 12:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...
Whoever started the bottled water thing years ago was a genius. Fooled
the entire world into thinking that city water was bad, then charging
a fortune for bottled water.

I drink bottled water at work too but I fill my bottle from the tap
each morning. I do own a Britta water filter but I rarely bother. The
ferrets get more of that, just because it's fridge cold.

Here's a mention in my newspaper the other day for "Earth Day" on the
subject:
It's an exact quote, not my opinion, although I do agree.

I watched a special on it, mind boggling to be sure. In Maine they are
pulling groundwater and bottling it for sale, I believe it was Nestle that
was sending the tankers in.

Cehri

Old 25-04-2014, 12:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 24, 2014 2:20:38 PM UTC-7, Gary wrote:
[...]

You should taste some of the water in my area...taste and smells like sulphur.
Old 25-04-2014, 12:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 16:39:08 -0700, "Cheri"
wrote:

"Gary" wrote in message ...
Whoever started the bottled water thing years ago was a genius. Fooled
the entire world into thinking that city water was bad, then charging
a fortune for bottled water.

I drink bottled water at work too but I fill my bottle from the tap
each morning. I do own a Britta water filter but I rarely bother. The
ferrets get more of that, just because it's fridge cold.

Here's a mention in my newspaper the other day for "Earth Day" on the
subject:
It's an exact quote, not my opinion, although I do agree.

I watched a special on it, mind boggling to be sure. In Maine they are
pulling groundwater and bottling it for sale, I believe it was Nestle that
was sending the tankers in.

Nestle certainly are. After all, their benevolent CEO/chairman
believes water isn't a right and should be privatised.
Old 25-04-2014, 01:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 24, 2014 5:20:38 PM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
[...]

We have no fluoride in our tap water here in Kitchener. However, I only drink tap water. Once upon a time I purchased a bottle of water that was bottled in the heart of tobacco country. Tobacco farmers put lots of nasty stuff on the plants which leaks into the soil and the water table.
On the other hand, on my Godfather's tobacco farm, he had the most delicious water I have ever tasted. So wonderfully cold. The first couple of days out there, the water tastes of sulfur. But then you get used to it, and no longer taste the sulfur. Wonderful stuff. But what's in it: pesticides, anti sucker agents, etc. Oh well. I'm still kickin'.
Old 25-04-2014, 01:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 24, 2014 7:13:34 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
"Gary" wrote in message ...

[...]

A few years back in Walkerton Ontario, a few people died from drinking contaminated tap water.

Old 25-04-2014, 01:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 16:42:08 -0700 (PDT), Chemo
wrote:

You should taste some of the water in my area...taste and smells like sulphur.

Yes. There's some pretty bad water supplies around, and fracking
certainly hasn't helped either, its spreading like a cancer around the
world. I'm very fortunate where I live, we pretty much have the
cleanest air and water in the world.
Old 25-04-2014, 02:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

I have an RO unit under my sink that I rent from Culligan. If I want
bottled water to go, like to the gym, I fill an aluminum bottle from the
RO spigot.

The water here tastes awful. We were spending a bunch on bottled water
and figured it's cheaper to rent the RO.

I also have water bottles with filters in the caps for when we travel.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---

Old 25-04-2014, 02:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-04-24, Jeus wrote:

Nestle certainly are. After all, their benevolent CEO/chairman
believes water isn't a right and should be privatised.

Yes, seen several documentaries on this issue. Nestle acquired rights
to pump/ship water from our area, about 6 miles north of where I live,
in the Arkansas River headwaters valley. OTOH, I'm grateful Nestle
sees our water, the Ark R, as clean enough to bottle, which it is.
Elsewhere in CO, fracking is destroying entire counties and watersheds
with its polluting technology. There is, CURRENTLY, no fracking in
this watershed/valley!! If anything, Nestle is our canary in the coal
mine. Never thought I'd say this, as I'm a rabid pro ecology nut, but
it's freakishly true and, for now, I'm glad to see Nestle pumping
away. 8|

nb
Old 25-04-2014, 02:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-04-24, Jeus wrote:

Nestle certainly are. After all, their benevolent CEO/chairman
believes water isn't a right and should be privatised.

Yes, seen several documentaries on this issue. Nestle acquired rights
to pump/ship water from our area, about 6 miles north of where I live,
in the Arkansas River headwaters valley. OTOH, I'm grateful Nestle
sees our water, the Ark R, as clean enough to bottle, which it is.
Elsewhere in CO, fracking is destroying entire counties and watersheds
with its polluting technology. There is, CURRENTLY, no fracking in
this watershed/valley!! If anything, Nestle is our canary in the coal
mine. Never thought I'd say this, as I'm a rabid pro ecology nut, but
it's freakishly true and, for now, I'm glad to see Nestle pumping
away. 8|

That may be okay for now, but if they have their way and get water
privatised you'll most likely have a change of heart. It's been said
now for quite a few years that water is the new oil, and the powerful
have been gradually setting themselves up to be in control of the
resource. I would imagine they'd also love the side-effects of
fracking as well. The Bush family saw the light long ago and have
invested heavily in water, for example. Just watch it become more
difficult/illegal to collect your own rain or well water in coming
years...

Old 25-04-2014, 12:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 20:01:22 -0500, Janet Wilder
wrote:

I have an RO unit under my sink that I rent from Culligan. If I want
bottled water to go, like to the gym, I fill an aluminum bottle from the
RO spigot.

The water here tastes awful. We were spending a bunch on bottled water
and figured it's cheaper to rent the RO.

I also have water bottles with filters in the caps for when we travel.

That's what I mean, some peolle have crappy tasting water. And bottled
water certainly is best for conveience and portability. I have a big 5
gallon plastic water jug I keep in my Caravan "Baby" for camping. I
refill my Gatorade bottles from it too, while camping.

John Kuthe..