Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ooops! but Save!

I just baked a pan of cornbread. I had laid out all the ingredients.
Yellow cornmeal, yep. Flour, yep. Baking powder, yep. (Made a note, I
need to buy more flour and also baking powder.) Salt, yep. An egg,
yep. Buttermilk... didn't have any so I soured plain milk with vinegar.
I'm sure someone will have a hissy fit because I use vegetable
shortening in my cornbread. Substitute butter if you wish but please
don't try to use EVOO, it won't be good.

Anyway, I heated the cast iron skillet in the oven with a dab of
shortening at 425F. Got it sizzling hot. Meanwhile I combined the dry
ingredients and cut in the shortening. I added the soured milk. Beat
the mixture until fairly smooth, then poured it into the hot skillet. I
put it in the oven... then I noticed ooops! The egg was still sitting
on the counter! Lickety split I got the pan out of the oven and quickly
cracked the egg and stirred it into the batter (which was sizzling) in
the skillet. I had to stir it very quickly so it wouldn't cook like
scrambled eggs. Whew! I managed to add the egg just in time. Saved
it! It smells delicious.

http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/...ps82e347fe.jpg

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 23, 12:09*pm, jmcquown > wrote:
> I just baked a pan of cornbread. *I had laid out all the ingredients.
> Yellow cornmeal, yep. *Flour, yep. *Baking powder, yep. *(Made a note, I
> need to buy more flour and also baking powder.) *Salt, yep. *An egg,
> yep. *Buttermilk... didn't have any so I soured plain milk with vinegar..
> * I'm sure someone will have a hissy fit because I use vegetable
> shortening in my cornbread. *Substitute butter if you wish but please
> don't try to use EVOO, it won't be good.
>
> Anyway, I heated the cast iron skillet in the oven with a dab of
> shortening at 425F. *Got it sizzling hot. *Meanwhile I combined the dry
> ingredients and cut in the shortening. *I added the soured milk. *Beat
> the mixture until fairly smooth, then poured it into the hot skillet. *I
> put it in the oven... then I noticed ooops! *The egg was still sitting
> on the counter! *Lickety split I got the pan out of the oven and quickly
> cracked the egg and stirred it into the batter (which was sizzling) in
> the skillet. *I had to stir it very quickly so it wouldn't cook like
> scrambled eggs. *Whew! *I managed to add the egg just in time. *Saved
> it! *It smells delicious.
>
> http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/...rnbread_zps82e...
>
> Jill

Damn...I love cornbread!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 15:09:54 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>I just baked a pan of cornbread. I had laid out all the ingredients.
>Yellow cornmeal, yep. Flour, yep. Baking powder, yep. (Made a note, I
>need to buy more flour and also baking powder.) Salt, yep. An egg,
>yep. Buttermilk... didn't have any so I soured plain milk with vinegar.
> I'm sure someone will have a hissy fit because I use vegetable
>shortening in my cornbread. Substitute butter if you wish but please
>don't try to use EVOO, it won't be good.
>
>Anyway, I heated the cast iron skillet in the oven with a dab of
>shortening at 425F. Got it sizzling hot. Meanwhile I combined the dry
>ingredients and cut in the shortening. I added the soured milk. Beat
>the mixture until fairly smooth, then poured it into the hot skillet. I
>put it in the oven... then I noticed ooops! The egg was still sitting
>on the counter! Lickety split I got the pan out of the oven and quickly
>cracked the egg and stirred it into the batter (which was sizzling) in
>the skillet. I had to stir it very quickly so it wouldn't cook like
>scrambled eggs. Whew! I managed to add the egg just in time. Saved
>it! It smells delicious.
>
>http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/...ps82e347fe.jpg
>
>Jill

Looks really good! Ooops! -- BTDT ;o)
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill wrote:

>Anyway, I heated the cast iron skillet in
> the oven with a dab of shortening at
> 425F. Got it sizzling hot. Meanwhile I
> combined the dry ingredients and cut in
> the shortening. I added the soured milk.
> Beat the mixture until fairly smooth,
> then poured it into the hot skillet. I put it
> in the oven... then I noticed ooops! The
> egg was still sitting on the counter!
> Lickety split I got the pan out of the
> oven and quickly cracked the egg and
> stirred it into the batter (which was
> sizzling) in the skillet. I had to stir it very
> quickly so it wouldn't cook like
> scrambled eggs. Whew! I managed to
> add the egg just in time. Saved it! It
> smells delicious.

Glad you saved it, as it wouldn't have been a "save" if had not been
able to egg.

I just follow the recipe on the Albers yellow cornmeal box and either
make it in a square pan, or make it into muffins. I just use the regular
1 cup milk called for, and the cooking oil. I also add the sugar called
for, but I'm not from the South and I don't think "true" Southerners
would ever add sugar, but I like sweet cornbread myself.

I also never mix it till it's smooth, as with pancake batter, dumplings,
etc. I mix until the dry ingredients are JUST moistened.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/23/2013 3:35 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 15:09:54 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> the mixture until fairly smooth, then poured it into the hot skillet. I
>> put it in the oven... then I noticed ooops! The egg was still sitting
>> on the counter! Lickety split I got the pan out of the oven and quickly
>> cracked the egg and stirred it into the batter (which was sizzling) in
>> the skillet. I had to stir it very quickly so it wouldn't cook like
>> scrambled eggs. Whew! I managed to add the egg just in time. Saved
>> it! It smells delicious.
>>
>> http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/...ps82e347fe.jpg
>>
>> Jill

> Looks really good! Ooops! -- BTDT ;o)
> Janet US

Thanks! I'll be making some lentil soup to go with it

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/23/2013 4:06 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> Jill wrote:
>
>> Anyway, I heated the cast iron skillet in
>> the oven with a dab of shortening at
>> 425F. Got it sizzling hot. Meanwhile I
>> combined the dry ingredients and cut in
>> the shortening. I added the soured milk.
>> Beat the mixture until fairly smooth,
>> then poured it into the hot skillet. I put it
>> in the oven... then I noticed ooops! The
>> egg was still sitting on the counter!
>> Lickety split I got the pan out of the
>> oven and quickly cracked the egg and
>> stirred it into the batter (which was
>> sizzling) in the skillet. I had to stir it very
>> quickly so it wouldn't cook like
>> scrambled eggs. Whew! I managed to
>> add the egg just in time. Saved it! It
>> smells delicious.

> Glad you saved it, as it wouldn't have been a "save" if had not been
> able to egg.
>
> I just follow the recipe on the Albers yellow cornmeal box and either
> make it in a square pan, or make it into muffins. I just use the regular
> 1 cup milk called for, and the cooking oil. I also add the sugar called
> for, but I'm not from the South and I don't think "true" Southerners
> would ever add sugar, but I like sweet cornbread myself.
>
> I also never mix it till it's smooth, as with pancake batter, dumplings,
> etc. I mix until the dry ingredients are JUST moistened.

The batter is always slightly lumpy. But yes, the egg is necessary. I
don't add a lot of sugar but I do add a little.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 16:37:39 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 3/23/2013 3:35 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 15:09:54 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> the mixture until fairly smooth, then poured it into the hot skillet. I
>>> put it in the oven... then I noticed ooops! The egg was still sitting
>>> on the counter! Lickety split I got the pan out of the oven and quickly
>>> cracked the egg and stirred it into the batter (which was sizzling) in
>>> the skillet. I had to stir it very quickly so it wouldn't cook like
>>> scrambled eggs. Whew! I managed to add the egg just in time. Saved
>>> it! It smells delicious.
>>>
>>> http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/...ps82e347fe.jpg
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Looks really good! Ooops! -- BTDT ;o)
>> Janet US
>>

>Thanks! I'll be making some lentil soup to go with it
>
>Jill

I was thinking of trying something different the next time I make
lentil soup. Maybe head it toward curry or Mexican. I'm just bored
with the same old thing.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/23/2013 6:01 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 16:37:39 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 3/23/2013 3:35 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

>>> Looks really good! Ooops! -- BTDT ;o)
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> Thanks! I'll be making some lentil soup to go with it
>>
>> Jill

> I was thinking of trying something different the next time I make
> lentil soup. Maybe head it toward curry or Mexican. I'm just bored
> with the same old thing.
> Janet US

I bought some linguica to add to it this time around.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 16:01:46 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> I was thinking of trying something different the next time I make
> lentil soup. Maybe head it toward curry or Mexican. I'm just bored
> with the same old thing.

I wouldn't go crazy with curry. This is about as far afield as I'd
go. It's a different bean, but you get the general idea.
http://www.dinnersanddreams.net/2013...up-recipe.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
jmcquown > wrote:

Whew! I managed to add the egg just in time. Saved
> it! It smells delicious.
>
> http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/...ps82e347fe.jpg

I'm intrigued by the dark brown crust next to the pan that kind of
resembles a pie crust. The whole thing looks delicious. Obvious to me, I
don't get my black iron pan hot enough before I pour in the batter or
cook it hot enough. I'm going to do that next time. Thanks.

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 15:42:58 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 16:01:46 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>> I was thinking of trying something different the next time I make
>> lentil soup. Maybe head it toward curry or Mexican. I'm just bored
>> with the same old thing.

>I wouldn't go crazy with curry. This is about as far afield as I'd
>go. It's a different bean, but you get the general idea.
>http://www.dinnersanddreams.net/2013...up-recipe.html

those seasonings seem to be really common - I'm having a hard time
mentally tasting lentils with ginger.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> I just baked a pan of cornbread. I had laid out all the ingredients.
> Yellow cornmeal, yep. Flour, yep. Baking powder, yep. (Made a note,
> I need to buy more flour and also baking powder.) Salt, yep. An egg,
> yep. Buttermilk... didn't have any so I soured plain milk with
> vinegar. I'm sure someone will have a hissy fit because I use
> vegetable shortening in my cornbread. Substitute butter if you wish
> but please don't try to use EVOO, it won't be good.
>
> Anyway, I heated the cast iron skillet in the oven with a dab of
> shortening at 425F. Got it sizzling hot. Meanwhile I combined the
> dry ingredients and cut in the shortening. I added the soured milk.
> Beat the mixture until fairly smooth, then poured it into the hot
> skillet. I put it in the oven... then I noticed ooops! The egg was
> still sitting on the counter! Lickety split I got the pan out of the
> oven and quickly cracked the egg and stirred it into the batter (which
> was sizzling) in the skillet. I had to stir it very quickly so it
> wouldn't cook like scrambled eggs. Whew! I managed to add the egg
> just in time. Saved it! It smells delicious.
>
> http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/...ps82e347fe.jpg
>

> Jill

Your carpet is filthy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-03-23 19:23:17 +0000, Chemo said:

> On Mar 23, 12:09*pm, jmcquown > wrote:
>> I just baked a pan of cornbread. *I had laid out all the ingredients.
>> Yellow cornmeal, yep. *Flour, yep. *Baking powder, yep. *(Made a note, I
>> need to buy more flour and also baking powder.) *Salt, yep. *An egg,
>> yep. *Buttermilk... didn't have any so I soured plain milk with vinegar.
>> * I'm sure someone will have a hissy fit because I use vegetable
>> shortening in my cornbread. *Substitute butter if you wish but please
>> don't try to use EVOO, it won't be good.
>>
>> Anyway, I heated the cast iron skillet in the oven with a dab of
>> shortening at 425F. *Got it sizzling hot. *Meanwhile I combined the dry
>> ingredients and cut in the shortening. *I added the soured milk. *Beat
>> the mixture until fairly smooth, then poured it into the hot skillet. *I
>> put it in the oven... then I noticed ooops! *The egg was still sitting
>> on the counter! *Lickety split I got the pan out of the oven and quickly
>> cracked the egg and stirred it into the batter (which was sizzling) in
>> the skillet. *I had to stir it very quickly so it wouldn't cook like
>> scrambled eggs. *Whew! *I managed to add the egg just in time. *Saved
>> it! *It smells delicious.
>>
>> http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/...rnbread_zps82e...
>>
>> Jill

> Damn...I love cornbread!

I've yet to meet anybody who doesn't--that isn't crazy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 19:45:03 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 15:42:58 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 16:01:46 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I was thinking of trying something different the next time I make
> >> lentil soup. Maybe head it toward curry or Mexican. I'm just bored
> >> with the same old thing.

> >I wouldn't go crazy with curry. This is about as far afield as I'd
> >go. It's a different bean, but you get the general idea.
> >http://www.dinnersanddreams.net/2013...up-recipe.html

> those seasonings seem to be really common - I'm having a hard time
> mentally tasting lentils with ginger.

That's my attitude toward curry!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 23:48:36 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 19:45:03 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 15:42:58 -0700, sf > wrote:

>> >I wouldn't go crazy with curry. This is about as far afield as I'd
>> >go. It's a different bean, but you get the general idea.
>> >http://www.dinnersanddreams.net/2013...up-recipe.html

>> those seasonings seem to be really common - I'm having a hard time
>> mentally tasting lentils with ginger.

>That's my attitude toward curry!

In many ways, I think curry is a lot like Mexican flavors.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/24/2013 2:48 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 19:45:03 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 15:42:58 -0700, sf > wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 16:01:46 -0600, Janet Bostwick

>>> I wouldn't go crazy with curry. This is about as far afield as I'd
>>> go. It's a different bean, but you get the general idea.
>>> http://www.dinnersanddreams.net/2013...up-recipe.html

>> those seasonings seem to be really common - I'm having a hard time
>> mentally tasting lentils with ginger.

> That's my attitude toward curry!

Granted, I've not been exposed to a *lot* of curry. Once when we were
in Dallas (or was it Houston?) we had some really tasty curried lamb
meatballs. But overall I'm not a fan of curry.

My mother surpised the heck out of me one night by making curried rice.
(This is not something I grew up eating.) It was the most cooking I'd
seen her do in many years: chopping and sauteeing an onion, cooking the
rice (I think it was boil-n-bag rice, she'd "graduated" from Minute
Rice), adding curry powder and who knows what else. I ate it because
she went to a lot of effort. But it really wasn't very good.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/23/2013 9:34 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >,
> jmcquown > wrote:
>
> Whew! I managed to add the egg just in time. Saved
>> it! It smells delicious.
>>
>> http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/...ps82e347fe.jpg

> I'm intrigued by the dark brown crust next to the pan that kind of
> resembles a pie crust. The whole thing looks delicious. Obvious to me, I
> don't get my black iron pan hot enough before I pour in the batter or
> cook it hot enough. I'm going to do that next time. Thanks.
>
> leo

425F, add a little fat and let the pan heat in the oven while mixing the
remaining ingredients. (Don't forget the egg! LOL) When you pour the
batter into the hot pan it should sizzle. That's what forms nice brown
crust. A non sequiter, I never use that particular cast iron skillet
for anything else.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 09:56:16 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 3/24/2013 2:48 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 19:45:03 -0600, Janet Bostwick
>> > wrote:

>>> those seasonings seem to be really common - I'm having a hard time
>>> mentally tasting lentils with ginger.

>> That's my attitude toward curry!
>>

>Granted, I've not been exposed to a *lot* of curry. Once when we were
>in Dallas (or was it Houston?) we had some really tasty curried lamb
>meatballs. But overall I'm not a fan of curry.
>
>My mother surpised the heck out of me one night by making curried rice.
> (This is not something I grew up eating.) It was the most cooking I'd
>seen her do in many years: chopping and sauteeing an onion, cooking the
>rice (I think it was boil-n-bag rice, she'd "graduated" from Minute
>Rice), adding curry powder and who knows what else. I ate it because
>she went to a lot of effort. But it really wasn't very good.
>
>Jill

I don't think that curry powder (generic) represents curry. Kinda
nasty.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill, my mother-in-law made cornbread almost everyday for lunch and sometimes for supper too. She said you have to put your heart in cornbread when I asked her how she made it. I think you did just that! She did almost the same as you without the flour, and with white Three Rivers Cornmeal. We have a mill about 2 miles from us where we buy our cornmeal and grits, and I always use the white meal, and I usually just make mine thin and on top of the stove in my cast iron skillet. Good stuff! On Saturday, March 23, 2013 3:09:54 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
> I just baked a pan of cornbread. I had laid out all the ingredients.
>
> Yellow cornmeal, yep. Flour, yep. Baking powder, yep. (Made a note, I
>
> need to buy more flour and also baking powder.) Salt, yep. An egg,
>
> yep. Buttermilk... didn't have any so I soured plain milk with vinegar.
>
> I'm sure someone will have a hissy fit because I use vegetable
>
> shortening in my cornbread. Substitute butter if you wish but please
>
> don't try to use EVOO, it won't be good.
>

> Anyway, I heated the cast iron skillet in the oven with a dab of
>
> shortening at 425F. Got it sizzling hot. Meanwhile I combined the dry
>
> ingredients and cut in the shortening. I added the soured milk. Beat
>
> the mixture until fairly smooth, then poured it into the hot skillet. I
>
> put it in the oven... then I noticed ooops! The egg was still sitting
>
> on the counter! Lickety split I got the pan out of the oven and quickly
>
> cracked the egg and stirred it into the batter (which was sizzling) in
>
> the skillet. I had to stir it very quickly so it wouldn't cook like
>
> scrambled eggs. Whew! I managed to add the egg just in time. Saved
>
> it! It smells delicious.
>

> http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/...ps82e347fe.jpg
>

> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/24/2013 11:12 AM, Libby wrote:
> Jill, my mother-in-law made cornbread almost everyday for lunch and sometimes for supper too. She said you have to put your heart in cornbread when I asked her how she made it. I think you did just that! She did almost the same as you without the flour, and with white Three Rivers Cornmeal. We have a mill about 2 miles from us where we buy our cornmeal and grits, and I always use the white meal, and I usually just make mine thin and on top of the stove in my cast iron skillet.

I sure wish I could repair your formatting. Maybe Thunderbird will do it.

Your mention of white cornmeal brings back memories of a man who used to
post here, Phil Walker (boli, bolivar). Back when RFC chat was very
active he was in the chat room a lot. We were forever getting into a
friendly "debate" about white vs. yellow cornmeal. (Ditto grits.) I
much prefer coursely ground *yellow* cornmeal. Phil's feet were firmly
planted in the white cornmeal camp. I miss him.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 06:17:31 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> In many ways, I think curry is a lot like Mexican flavors.

Really? Not me. AFAIC the only thing they have in common is cumin.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 08:48:34 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> I don't think that curry powder (generic) represents curry. Kinda
> nasty.

Again, we disagree. I think curry powder pretty much mimics Patac
brand (mild) curry paste... which, according to what I've read, is
fine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 09:28:13 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 06:17:31 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>> In many ways, I think curry is a lot like Mexican flavors.

>Really? Not me. AFAIC the only thing they have in common is cumin.

The flavors of both are assertive and that appeals to me. I favor the
spicy curries that use garlic , cumin, pepper, chilies, coriander,
mustard, cinnamon, cloves . . .
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 09:30:48 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 08:48:34 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>> I don't think that curry powder (generic) represents curry. Kinda
>> nasty.

>Again, we disagree. I think curry powder pretty much mimics Patac
>brand (mild) curry paste... which, according to what I've read, is
>fine.

None of the Patac simmer sauces taste alike. And, IMO, none taste
like generic curry powder. If you buy something at the store called
curry powder, you have no idea what you are getting. The few I've
tried have a nasty after taste that I do not find in the simmer sauces
or in the various named curry powders from Penzeys. I like the Patac
sauces. Currently, Costco is carrying a Korma in the dairy case --
just caught a glance at tit in didn't take in the brand.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 22:11:45 -0700, gtr > wrote:

>On 2013-03-23 19:23:17 +0000, Chemo said:
>
>> On Mar 23, 12:09*pm, jmcquown > wrote:
>>> I just baked a pan of cornbread. *I had laid out all the ingredients.
>>> Yellow cornmeal, yep. *Flour, yep. *Baking powder, yep. *(Made a note, I
>>> need to buy more flour and also baking powder.) *Salt, yep. *An egg,
>>> yep. *Buttermilk... didn't have any so I soured plain milk with vinegar.
>>> * I'm sure someone will have a hissy fit because I use vegetable
>>> shortening in my cornbread. *Substitute butter if you wish but please
>>> don't try to use EVOO, it won't be good.
>>>
>>> Anyway, I heated the cast iron skillet in the oven with a dab of
>>> shortening at 425F. *Got it sizzling hot. *Meanwhile I combined the dry
>>> ingredients and cut in the shortening. *I added the soured milk. *Beat
>>> the mixture until fairly smooth, then poured it into the hot skillet. *I
>>> put it in the oven... then I noticed ooops! *The egg was still sitting
>>> on the counter! *Lickety split I got the pan out of the oven and quickly
>>> cracked the egg and stirred it into the batter (which was sizzling) in
>>> the skillet. *I had to stir it very quickly so it wouldn't cook like
>>> scrambled eggs. *Whew! *I managed to add the egg just in time. *Saved
>>> it! *It smells delicious.
>>>
>>> http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/...rnbread_zps82e...
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Damn...I love cornbread!

>I've yet to meet anybody who doesn't--that isn't crazy!

Cornbread is one of my least favorite baked goods, can't remember last
I ate any. But I do love corn bread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 11:02:34 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 09:28:13 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 06:17:31 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:
> >
> >> In many ways, I think curry is a lot like Mexican flavors.

> >Really? Not me. AFAIC the only thing they have in common is cumin.

> The flavors of both are assertive and that appeals to me. I favor the
> spicy curries that use garlic , cumin, pepper, chilies, coriander,
> mustard, cinnamon, cloves . . .

Okay, now I understand.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 11:02:34 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 09:28:13 -0700, sf > wrote:

>> >Really? Not me. AFAIC the only thing they have in common is cumin.

>> The flavors of both are assertive and that appeals to me. I favor the
>> spicy curries that use garlic , cumin, pepper, chilies, coriander,
>> mustard, cinnamon, cloves . . .

> Okay, now I understand.

Love Mexican food but dislike curry. Didn't know before I saw this what was
in curry. I have a dislike for mustard. That could be why I don't like it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> Love Mexican food but dislike curry. Didn't know before I saw this what was
> in curry. I have a dislike for mustard. That could be why I don't like it.

Mustard & curry: added to the list
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 03:09:58 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> I have a dislike for mustard. That could be why I don't like it.

To be honest, I didn't even realize mustard was a common ingredient in
Indian curry. Looking at the ingredients on my box of Madras curry
powder, it's listed last - so it can't be a predominate flavor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/25/2013 2:40 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 03:09:58 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> I have a dislike for mustard. That could be why I don't like it.

> To be honest, I didn't even realize mustard was a common ingredient in
> Indian curry. Looking at the ingredients on my box of Madras curry
> powder, it's listed last - so it can't be a predominate flavor.

Is it ground mustard seeds perhaps? Freshly toasted, black mustard seeds
just don't taste like Coleman's English Mustard.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 15:09:55 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

> On 3/25/2013 2:40 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 03:09:58 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> I have a dislike for mustard. That could be why I don't like it.

> > To be honest, I didn't even realize mustard was a common ingredient in
> > Indian curry. Looking at the ingredients on my box of Madras curry
> > powder, it's listed last - so it can't be a predominate flavor.
> >

> Is it ground mustard seeds perhaps? Freshly toasted, black mustard seeds
> just don't taste like Coleman's English Mustard.

It doesn't say what color they are, but they're probably yellow only
because I don't see any black specks in this one.

Ooops. Todd Diabetic 9 04-02-2013 08:15 PM
Nearly a big OOOPS jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 9 28-09-2008 10:07 PM
Ooops again! Nancy Young General Cooking 7 18-10-2007 08:23 AM
OOOPS Jerry DeAngelis General Cooking 0 02-05-2006 03:31 AM
Ooops.. don't forget that banana! Goomba38 General Cooking 7 19-11-2004 03:28 AM