Old 25-06-2012, 07:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Save the Planet; wean yourself off meat

On Monday, June 25, 2012 12:02:37 PM UTC-6, A Moose in Love wrote:

some snippage

For the sake of not just our own health and that of our children and
grandchildren, but also for the health of the entire planet, we must
reduce or eliminate our consumption of meat.

Can we do it?
}

When they grow lettuce and tomatoes that taste like meat, I will gladly desist
from eating it. Until then...fire up the BBQ...before the summer ends.

==

Old 25-06-2012, 08:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/25/2012 8:24 AM, Roy wrote:
On Monday, June 25, 2012 12:02:37 PM UTC-6, A Moose in Love wrote:

some snippage

For the sake of not just our own health and that of our children and
grandchildren, but also for the health of the entire planet, we must
reduce or eliminate our consumption of meat.

Can we do it?
}

When they grow lettuce and tomatoes that taste like meat, I will gladly desist
from eating it. Until then...fire up the BBQ...before the summer ends.

==

In the future, we or our children will be eating cultured animal tissue
instead of real meat. It's all gonna end soon so let's enjoy it while we
can. Until then, these are truly the salad days for meat eaters. :-)
Old 27-06-2012, 04:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
On 6/25/2012 8:24 AM, Roy wrote:
On Monday, June 25, 2012 12:02:37 PM UTC-6, A Moose in Love wrote:

some snippage

For the sake of not just our own health and that of our children and
grandchildren, but also for the health of the entire planet, we must
reduce or eliminate our consumption of meat.

Can we do it?
}

When they grow lettuce and tomatoes that taste like meat, I will
gladly desist
from eating it. Until then...fire up the BBQ...before the summer ends.

==

In the future, we or our children will be eating cultured animal tissue
instead of real meat. It's all gonna end soon so let's enjoy it while we
can. Until then, these are truly the salad days for meat eaters. :-)

It's all gonna end soon? Wouldn't it be better to change our
lifestyles than it is to just adopt that attitude and keep on
doing the same old things?

--
Jean B.
Old 27-06-2012, 08:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/26/2012 5:05 PM, Jean B. wrote:

It's all gonna end soon? Wouldn't it be better to change our lifestyles
than it is to just adopt that attitude and keep on doing the same old
things?

Fake meat might be so cheap to produce that raising animals will be too
expensive. That's just my guess. I don't think that changing our
lifestyles is in the cards unless there's something that motivates us
to. That's no guess.

Old 27-06-2012, 09:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

It's all gonna end soon? Wouldn't it be better to change our lifestyles
than it is to just adopt that attitude and keep on doing the same old
things?

Fake meat might be so cheap to produce that raising animals will be too
expensive. That's just my guess.

I doubt that will happen within 10 years. Maybe 20. And when it does
happen, U.S. consumers will resist it with all their might.

Old 27-06-2012, 05:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 25, 1:24*pm, Roy wrote:
On Monday, June 25, 2012 12:02:37 PM UTC-6, A Moose in Love wrote:

some snippage

For the sake of not just our own health and that of our children and
grandchildren, but also for the health of the entire planet, we must
reduce or eliminate our consumption of meat.

Can we do it?
}

When they grow lettuce and tomatoes that taste like meat, I will gladly desist
from eating it. Until then...fire up the BBQ...before the summer ends.

==

Roy, find some heirloom tomatoes - there's a great old-timey
"beefsteak." LOL.

N.
Old 27-06-2012, 06:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/26/2012 10:51 PM, George M. Middius wrote:
dsi1 wrote:

It's all gonna end soon? Wouldn't it be better to change our lifestyles
than it is to just adopt that attitude and keep on doing the same old
things?

Fake meat might be so cheap to produce that raising animals will be too
expensive. That's just my guess.

I doubt that will happen within 10 years. Maybe 20. And when it does
happen, U.S. consumers will resist it with all their might.

I think people will buy faux meat because it will be a cheaper
alternative. It's the reason that people will buy a tablet rather than a
desktop computer. They'll see the $200 tablet as a better deal.

Old 27-06-2012, 06:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

It's all gonna end soon? Wouldn't it be better to change our
lifestyles
than it is to just adopt that attitude and keep on doing the same old
things?

Fake meat might be so cheap to produce that raising animals will be too
expensive. That's just my guess.

I doubt that will happen within 10 years. Maybe 20. And when it does
happen, U.S. consumers will resist it with all their might.

I think people will buy faux meat because it will be a cheaper
alternative. It's the reason that people will buy a tablet rather than a
desktop computer. They'll see the $200 tablet as a better deal.

I don't know why so many vegetarians go for these faux meats. There are
lots of good vegetarian dishes to provide protein that might otherwise
come from meat, but if you want something that looks and tastes like a
hamburger, have a hamburger. If you want something that loos and tests
like turkey, get a turkey. My vegetarian nephew keeps foisting faux
products on me.... try it... it tastes just like a hamburger. No. It
does not taste like hamburger, Hamburger tastes like hamburger.

Old 27-06-2012, 07:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/27/2012 7:25 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

I don't know why so many vegetarians go for these faux meats. There are
lots of good vegetarian dishes to provide protein that might otherwise
come from meat, but if you want something that looks and tastes like a
hamburger, have a hamburger. If you want something that loos and tests
like turkey, get a turkey. My vegetarian nephew keeps foisting faux
products on me.... try it... it tastes just like a hamburger. No. It
does not taste like hamburger, Hamburger tastes like hamburger.

What I mean by fake meat is cultured animal tissue not textured
vegetable protein. I agree with you that TVP is a funny thing. My friend
likes to order fake hamburgers when we go to eat next door. I'll have to
grill him about this the next time he eats one. My daughter doesn't eat
burgers - she thinks meat is gross. She'll eat chicken though.

I know a gal that's a vegetarian that would never go for a fake or real
hot dog. She makes the most the most amazing dishes using things that
I've never seen before and is healthy and energetic. In fact, she's a
drummer. I've never seen her down or moody. Beats the hell out of me how
she does it all on plant matter. A true freak of nature. If I was rich,
I'd have her cook for me and pay her lots of money.

Old 27-06-2012, 07:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

What I mean by fake meat is cultured animal tissue not textured
vegetable protein. I agree with you that TVP is a funny thing. My friend
likes to order fake hamburgers when we go to eat next door. I'll have to
grill him about this the next time he eats one.

Eating is largely about nutrition. If one is vegan and through whatever
combination of cost, convenience, and personal food isues, one faces a
struggle getting up to the required 50 grams/day of protein, TVP based
products are one of the possible solutions to this problem.

I can't understand all the harping about Boca Burgers and such like.
They share the disadvantages that are shared by all processed foods,
but they do contain nutrition, are pretty convenient, and many restaurants
have them (or similar) on the menu.

I know a gal that's a vegetarian that would never go for a fake or real
hot dog. She makes the most the most amazing dishes using things that
I've never seen before and is healthy and energetic. In fact, she's a
drummer.

(Does this mean she will steal your girlfriend?)

Steve
Old 27-06-2012, 08:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

Fake meat might be so cheap to produce that raising animals will be too
expensive. That's just my guess.

I doubt that will happen within 10 years. Maybe 20. And when it does
happen, U.S. consumers will resist it with all their might.

I think people will buy faux meat because it will be a cheaper
alternative.

Not likely. Generic label foods lag in the marketplace even though
most people can't distinguish them from the name-brands.

It's the reason that people will buy a tablet rather than a
desktop computer. They'll see the $200 tablet as a better deal.

You don't really believe that's why people buy tablets, do you?
Because they cost less?

Old 27-06-2012, 09:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
dsi1 wrote:

I think people will buy faux meat because it will be a cheaper
alternative ...

Cultured meat is the stuff of science fiction. Because of the compexity
of the chemistry and the simplicity of growing grass and beans and
feeding those to cows I think cultured meat is going to remain the stuff
of science fiction for decades. Some day over the rainbow we'll no
longer need to ranch animals. I doubt I'll live to see the day. Maybe
my granddaughters will live to see the day.

I don't know why so many vegetarians go for these faux meats. There are
lots of good vegetarian dishes to provide protein that might otherwise
come from meat, but if you want something that looks and tastes like a
hamburger, have a hamburger.

It's always been bizzare to me. Go to a good vegetarian Indian
restaurant. Heavenly food and nothing fake or immitated in it.
Old 27-06-2012, 09:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger wrote:

Dave Smith wrote:

I don't know why so many vegetarians go for these faux meats. There are
lots of good vegetarian dishes to provide protein that might otherwise
come from meat, but if you want something that looks and tastes like a
hamburger, have a hamburger.

It's always been bizzare to me. Go to a good vegetarian Indian
restaurant. Heavenly food and nothing fake or immitated in it.

Almost no Indian food is vegan. It is usually lacto-vegetarian. And,
if vegetarian Indian food does not include paneer, it is almost always
pretty low in protein.

Indian food (at least, in my experience) lacks the ingredients
found in other Asian fool traditions where attempts are made to
concentrate the protein component (such as tofu, yuba, or seitan).

Getting enough protein into the diet of south Asian people has been
a decades-long struggle by the public planners there and they still
have not succeeded, as the diet is still deficient for much of the
population.

Steve
Old 27-06-2012, 10:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/27/2012 9:57 AM, George M. Middius wrote:

You don't really believe that's why people buy tablets, do you?
Because they cost less?

Oddly enough, I really do believe this that people will change their
ways if there's sufficient monetary savings. Given the choice between a
$200 tablet or a $200 desktop system, most folks would probably opt for
a desktop.

That probably won't happen. What will happen is that people will see a
tablet selling for $200 and a desktop going for $600 or more. A lot of
folks will go for the cheaper tablet. It don't take a genius to see
that. Of course there are other reasons why people want to buy tablets.
There's also reasons why people don't want to buy tablets but my guess
is that not having to shell out $400 is a pretty good incentive to ditch
the real keyboard.

Some people are saying that tablets will outsell notebook and desktops
in then next 12 to 24 months. Nobody could have predicted that when
Apple introduced the iPad a little over 2 years ago. I did, but then
again, I'm good at these things.