Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Freyburger Doug Freyburger is offline

Default Save the Planet; wean yourself off meat

Dave Smith wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>
>> I think people will buy faux meat because it will be a cheaper
>> alternative ...

Cultured meat is the stuff of science fiction. Because of the compexity
of the chemistry and the simplicity of growing grass and beans and
feeding those to cows I think cultured meat is going to remain the stuff
of science fiction for decades. Some day over the rainbow we'll no
longer need to ranch animals. I doubt I'll live to see the day. Maybe
my granddaughters will live to see the day.

> I don't know why so many vegetarians go for these faux meats. There are
> lots of good vegetarian dishes to provide protein that might otherwise
> come from meat, but if you want something that looks and tastes like a
> hamburger, have a hamburger.

It's always been bizzare to me. Go to a good vegetarian Indian
restaurant. Heavenly food and nothing fake or immitated in it.