Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_15_] dsi1[_15_] is offline

Default Save the Planet; wean yourself off meat

On 6/27/2012 7:25 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

> I don't know why so many vegetarians go for these faux meats. There are
> lots of good vegetarian dishes to provide protein that might otherwise
> come from meat, but if you want something that looks and tastes like a
> hamburger, have a hamburger. If you want something that loos and tests
> like turkey, get a turkey. My vegetarian nephew keeps foisting faux
> products on me.... try it... it tastes just like a hamburger. No. It
> does not taste like hamburger, Hamburger tastes like hamburger.

What I mean by fake meat is cultured animal tissue not textured
vegetable protein. I agree with you that TVP is a funny thing. My friend
likes to order fake hamburgers when we go to eat next door. I'll have to
grill him about this the next time he eats one. My daughter doesn't eat
burgers - she thinks meat is gross. She'll eat chicken though.

I know a gal that's a vegetarian that would never go for a fake or real
hot dog. She makes the most the most amazing dishes using things that
I've never seen before and is healthy and energetic. In fact, she's a
drummer. I've never seen her down or moody. Beats the hell out of me how
she does it all on plant matter. A true freak of nature. If I was rich,
I'd have her cook for me and pay her lots of money.