Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Save the Planet; wean yourself off meat

On 27/06/2012 1:05 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> Fake meat might be so cheap to produce that raising animals will be too
>>> expensive. That's just my guess.

>> I doubt that will happen within 10 years. Maybe 20. And when it does
>> happen, U.S. consumers will resist it with all their might.
>>

> I think people will buy faux meat because it will be a cheaper
> alternative. It's the reason that people will buy a tablet rather than a
> desktop computer. They'll see the $200 tablet as a better deal.

I don't know why so many vegetarians go for these faux meats. There are
lots of good vegetarian dishes to provide protein that might otherwise
come from meat, but if you want something that looks and tastes like a
hamburger, have a hamburger. If you want something that loos and tests
like turkey, get a turkey. My vegetarian nephew keeps foisting faux
products on me.... try it... it tastes just like a hamburger. No. It
does not taste like hamburger, Hamburger tastes like hamburger.