Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Pope Steve Pope is offline

Default Save the Planet; wean yourself off meat

dsi1 > wrote:

>What I mean by fake meat is cultured animal tissue not textured
>vegetable protein. I agree with you that TVP is a funny thing. My friend
>likes to order fake hamburgers when we go to eat next door. I'll have to
>grill him about this the next time he eats one.

Eating is largely about nutrition. If one is vegan and through whatever
combination of cost, convenience, and personal food isues, one faces a
struggle getting up to the required 50 grams/day of protein, TVP based
products are one of the possible solutions to this problem.

I can't understand all the harping about Boca Burgers and such like.
They share the disadvantages that are shared by all processed foods,
but they do contain nutrition, are pretty convenient, and many restaurants
have them (or similar) on the menu.

>I know a gal that's a vegetarian that would never go for a fake or real
>hot dog. She makes the most the most amazing dishes using things that
>I've never seen before and is healthy and energetic. In fact, she's a
>drummer.

(Does this mean she will steal your girlfriend?)

Steve