Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Pope Steve Pope is offline

Default Save the Planet; wean yourself off meat

Doug Freyburger > wrote:

>Dave Smith wrote:

>> I don't know why so many vegetarians go for these faux meats. There are
>> lots of good vegetarian dishes to provide protein that might otherwise
>> come from meat, but if you want something that looks and tastes like a
>> hamburger, have a hamburger.

>It's always been bizzare to me. Go to a good vegetarian Indian
>restaurant. Heavenly food and nothing fake or immitated in it.

Almost no Indian food is vegan. It is usually lacto-vegetarian. And,
if vegetarian Indian food does not include paneer, it is almost always
pretty low in protein.

Indian food (at least, in my experience) lacks the ingredients
found in other Asian fool traditions where attempts are made to
concentrate the protein component (such as tofu, yuba, or seitan).

Getting enough protein into the diet of south Asian people has been
a decades-long struggle by the public planners there and they still
have not succeeded, as the diet is still deficient for much of the
population.

Steve