Old 10-04-2012, 02:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Consumer Reports rates food stores.

Oddly enough for this area Winco was one of the bigger winners for this
area. Trader Joes got high ratings and even for their perishable foods. I
have had problems with every kind of produce I have ever bought there, to
the point where I will not buy it there ever again. The way they wrap it
makes it look fresh. But you get it home and it is spoiled. The other
thing I dislike about the is that they will have a product I like. So I go
there to get it again and they never have it again. First it was rice, then
it was candy, then it was pizza. Their prices are good. I will say that.
Costco got high ratings as well but you do need to buy a lot of whatever it
is, most of the time if you shop there. Sometimes we buy stuff and just
donate part of it to the food bank because it is still cheaper to do it that
way than to buy at other stores.

Sad to say that Albertsons and Safeway did not get very high marks. QFC
wasn't listed but they are owned by Kroger and Kroger didn't rate very high.
Fred Meyer seemed to be neither bad nor good but I feel overall that they
have rather high prices. And since they do sell more than just groceries
they are not the place I want to go if I want to pick up a few things. If I
need to buy some other non grocery items and I am not pressed for time, I
will go there. It can be hard to get parking there. Target didn't get very
high marks either. That surprised me because I have found their prices to
be pretty cheap and the quality of the produce (although somewhat limited)
to be very good. Their customer service is rather suckish though and I do
often have to instruct the cashiers on how to ring things up. Like to ring
in my coupons and give me the bag discount. I almost always bring my own
bags.

Walmart was pretty bad. We were pleased with the Walmart in Lynnwood added
groceries and then very displeased just a few weeks later when they stopped
carrying some of the things that we bought. It's to the point now where we
won't go there for groceries. They do seem to be the only store that sells
the Cherry/Lime Tic Tacs though.

I did see stores listed in other areas where I have lived. Such as IGA,
Weis and Pathmark that didn't get such good ratings. Aldi's didn't get a
very good rating other than the price.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

How about Wegman's and Whole Foods? I am debating about whether I
want to make a journey to the only Wegman's that is in Massachusetts.

--
Jean B.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 9, 8:09*pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:

*Aldi's didn't get a very good rating other than the price.

It's Aldi, not Aldi's.

Their milk and egg prices are great, as are their produce specials.
We've been buying 1# strawberries there for $1.29 for the past two
weeks.

--Bryan
Old 10-04-2012, 03:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 19:07:54 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
wrote:

On Apr 9, 8:09*pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:

*Aldi's didn't get a very good rating other than the price.

It's Aldi, not Aldi's.

Their milk and egg prices are great, as are their produce specials.
We've been buying 1# strawberries there for $1.29 for the past two
weeks.

--Bryan

It's actually ALDI. Look on their website.

John Kuthe...
Old 10-04-2012, 03:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote:
[...]

I read with interest, as bottom dollar which has hannaford products, just
opened here. Just started shopping aldi's and bottom dollar, and can save
much money shopping around. More selections than relying on local giant
eagle. So I got a 31 gallon gas tank, I try to make do with their fuel
perks. Now got $.70 off per gallon.
That's $350 in groceries. Some saving hah. Bottom dollar also has food
lion.

Greg

Old 10-04-2012, 03:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

Whole Foods was very good except for the prices which were very bad. I
believe Wegmans was the top store or maybe second place. Sadly we don't
have them here.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:
On Apr 9, 8:09 pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:

Aldi's didn't get a very good rating other than the price.

It's Aldi, not Aldi's.

Their milk and egg prices are great, as are their produce specials.
We've been buying 1# strawberries there for $1.29 for the past two
weeks.

I shopped there when I was in PA but at that time I think they mostly just
sold canned goods.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Apr 9, 8:09 pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:

Aldi's didn't get a very good rating other than the price.

It's Aldi, not Aldi's.

Their milk and egg prices are great, as are their produce specials.
We've been buying 1# strawberries there for $1.29 for the past two
weeks.

--Bryan

It's actually ALDI. Look on their website.

John Kuthe...

Oh fine. Whatever. Ya'll know what I mean.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

I did see stores listed in other areas where I have lived. Such as IGA,
Weis and Pathmark that didn't get such good ratings. Aldi's didn't get a
very good rating other than the price.

Kroger and Winco are both divisions of Kroger stores. Each division is operated separately, so the ratings would be different for each. Here in SoCal (from Bakersfield south) there are Winco & Food4Less stores, which are the discount type of grocery stores; Ralph's is the "regular super market", and all three are divisions of Kroger. As one who shops the ads regularly, Ralph's does have the best prices and products better than the other two.

Harriet & Critters

Old 10-04-2012, 03:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

gregz wrote:
"Julie Bove" wrote:
[...]

I remember bad things about Food Lion from the 70's I think.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

critters & me in azusa, ca wrote:
I did see stores listed in other areas where I have lived. Such as
IGA, Weis and Pathmark that didn't get such good ratings. Aldi's
didn't get a very good rating other than the price.

Kroger and Winco are both divisions of Kroger stores. Each division
is operated separately, so the ratings would be different for each.
Here in SoCal (from Bakersfield south) there are Winco & Food4Less
stores, which are the discount type of grocery stores; Ralph's is the
"regular super market", and all three are divisions of Kroger. As one
who shops the ads regularly, Ralph's does have the best prices and
products better than the other two.

Harriet & Critters

Nope. Winco is owned by the employees. Not Kroger at all.

http://www.wincofoods.com/

I did shop at Ralph's once. Oddly enough I bought a bra there but I can't
remember the particulars of it now. I was much less busty in those days.
We were on vacation in Northern CA and visiting my parent's friends.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Apr 9, 8:09 pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:

Aldi's didn't get a very good rating other than the price.

It's Aldi, not Aldi's.

Their milk and egg prices are great, as are their produce specials.
We've been buying 1# strawberries there for $1.29 for the past two
weeks.

--Bryan

It's actually ALDI. Look on their website.

John Kuthe...

Oh fine. Whatever. Ya'll know what I mean.

It's actually a contraction of ALbrecht's DIscount, a German company.

John Kuthe...

Old 10-04-2012, 03:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
On Apr 9, 8:09*pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:

**Aldi's didn't get a very good rating other than the price.

It's Aldi, not Aldi's.

Their milk and egg prices are great, as are their produce specials.
We've been buying 1# strawberries there for $1.29 for the past two
weeks.

--Bryan

It's actually ALDI. Look on their website.

Yes. It stands for Albrecht Discount. The company owned by the other
brother owns Trader Joe's (one of them died fairly recently). Both of
those stores offer good shopping experiences, and savvy shoppers can
find great deals at both. Trader Joe's and ALDI both have the best
prices on gallons of milk. TJ's has a very nice raw milk Cheddar that
is reasonably priced.
ALDI can be a joy to shop at because they have the best workers I've
ever dealt with at a retailer.

John Kuthe...

--Bryan
Old 10-04-2012, 03:57 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Apr 9, 8:09 pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:

Aldi's didn't get a very good rating other than the price.

It's Aldi, not Aldi's.

Their milk and egg prices are great, as are their produce specials.
We've been buying 1# strawberries there for $1.29 for the past two
weeks.

--Bryan

It's actually ALDI. Look on their website.

John Kuthe...

We had an independent here that was famous. Pechins. For $1 you could fill
your belly at their restaurant. They used to through out meats, and it was
all hands grabbing anything. Anything you got was a bargain. It was
legendary, but I never got to go to their grocery. The owner died in 2005
and things went bad, including a fire. They also sold boats, had docks, and
sold gas on the river cheaper than gas stations. They also had a restaurant
at the docs, which was dirt cheap. $.20 cheeseburgers at the grocery. We
still have another legendary grocery, Frederick town butcher shop. 3 years
ago I walked out with 10 pounds of pork shoulder for $11.50 .

Trouble is, I would need to spend too much on gas money o get there.

Greg