Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Consumer Reports rates food stores.

Oddly enough for this area Winco was one of the bigger winners for this
area. Trader Joes got high ratings and even for their perishable foods. I
have had problems with every kind of produce I have ever bought there, to
the point where I will not buy it there ever again. The way they wrap it
makes it look fresh. But you get it home and it is spoiled. The other
thing I dislike about the is that they will have a product I like. So I go
there to get it again and they never have it again. First it was rice, then
it was candy, then it was pizza. Their prices are good. I will say that.
Costco got high ratings as well but you do need to buy a lot of whatever it
is, most of the time if you shop there. Sometimes we buy stuff and just
donate part of it to the food bank because it is still cheaper to do it that
way than to buy at other stores.

Sad to say that Albertsons and Safeway did not get very high marks. QFC
wasn't listed but they are owned by Kroger and Kroger didn't rate very high.
Fred Meyer seemed to be neither bad nor good but I feel overall that they
have rather high prices. And since they do sell more than just groceries
they are not the place I want to go if I want to pick up a few things. If I
need to buy some other non grocery items and I am not pressed for time, I
will go there. It can be hard to get parking there. Target didn't get very
high marks either. That surprised me because I have found their prices to
be pretty cheap and the quality of the produce (although somewhat limited)
to be very good. Their customer service is rather suckish though and I do
often have to instruct the cashiers on how to ring things up. Like to ring
in my coupons and give me the bag discount. I almost always bring my own
bags.

Walmart was pretty bad. We were pleased with the Walmart in Lynnwood added
groceries and then very displeased just a few weeks later when they stopped
carrying some of the things that we bought. It's to the point now where we
won't go there for groceries. They do seem to be the only store that sells
the Cherry/Lime Tic Tacs though.

I did see stores listed in other areas where I have lived. Such as IGA,
Weis and Pathmark that didn't get such good ratings. Aldi's didn't get a
very good rating other than the price.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> Oddly enough for this area Winco was one of the bigger winners for this
> area. Trader Joes got high ratings and even for their perishable foods. I
> have had problems with every kind of produce I have ever bought there, to
> the point where I will not buy it there ever again. The way they wrap it
> makes it look fresh. But you get it home and it is spoiled. The other
> thing I dislike about the is that they will have a product I like. So I go
> there to get it again and they never have it again. First it was rice, then
> it was candy, then it was pizza. Their prices are good. I will say that.
> Costco got high ratings as well but you do need to buy a lot of whatever it
> is, most of the time if you shop there. Sometimes we buy stuff and just
> donate part of it to the food bank because it is still cheaper to do it that
> way than to buy at other stores.
>
> Sad to say that Albertsons and Safeway did not get very high marks. QFC
> wasn't listed but they are owned by Kroger and Kroger didn't rate very high.
> Fred Meyer seemed to be neither bad nor good but I feel overall that they
> have rather high prices. And since they do sell more than just groceries
> they are not the place I want to go if I want to pick up a few things. If I
> need to buy some other non grocery items and I am not pressed for time, I
> will go there. It can be hard to get parking there. Target didn't get very
> high marks either. That surprised me because I have found their prices to
> be pretty cheap and the quality of the produce (although somewhat limited)
> to be very good. Their customer service is rather suckish though and I do
> often have to instruct the cashiers on how to ring things up. Like to ring
> in my coupons and give me the bag discount. I almost always bring my own
> bags.
>
> Walmart was pretty bad. We were pleased with the Walmart in Lynnwood added
> groceries and then very displeased just a few weeks later when they stopped
> carrying some of the things that we bought. It's to the point now where we
> won't go there for groceries. They do seem to be the only store that sells
> the Cherry/Lime Tic Tacs though.
>
> I did see stores listed in other areas where I have lived. Such as IGA,
> Weis and Pathmark that didn't get such good ratings. Aldi's didn't get a
> very good rating other than the price.

How about Wegman's and Whole Foods? I am debating about whether I
want to make a journey to the only Wegman's that is in Massachusetts.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 9, 8:09*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> *Aldi's didn't get a very good rating other than the price.

It's Aldi, not Aldi's.

Their milk and egg prices are great, as are their produce specials.
We've been buying 1# strawberries there for $1.29 for the past two
weeks.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 19:07:54 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

>On Apr 9, 8:09*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> *Aldi's didn't get a very good rating other than the price.

>It's Aldi, not Aldi's.
>
>Their milk and egg prices are great, as are their produce specials.
>We've been buying 1# strawberries there for $1.29 for the past two
>weeks.
>
>--Bryan

It's actually ALDI. Look on their website.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> Oddly enough for this area Winco was one of the bigger winners for this
> area. Trader Joes got high ratings and even for their perishable foods. I
> have had problems with every kind of produce I have ever bought there, to
> the point where I will not buy it there ever again. The way they wrap it
> makes it look fresh. But you get it home and it is spoiled. The other
> thing I dislike about the is that they will have a product I like. So I go
> there to get it again and they never have it again. First it was rice, then
> it was candy, then it was pizza. Their prices are good. I will say that.
> Costco got high ratings as well but you do need to buy a lot of whatever it
> is, most of the time if you shop there. Sometimes we buy stuff and just
> donate part of it to the food bank because it is still cheaper to do it that
> way than to buy at other stores.
>
> Sad to say that Albertsons and Safeway did not get very high marks. QFC
> wasn't listed but they are owned by Kroger and Kroger didn't rate very high.
> Fred Meyer seemed to be neither bad nor good but I feel overall that they
> have rather high prices. And since they do sell more than just groceries
> they are not the place I want to go if I want to pick up a few things. If I
> need to buy some other non grocery items and I am not pressed for time, I
> will go there. It can be hard to get parking there. Target didn't get very
> high marks either. That surprised me because I have found their prices to
> be pretty cheap and the quality of the produce (although somewhat limited)
> to be very good. Their customer service is rather suckish though and I do
> often have to instruct the cashiers on how to ring things up. Like to ring
> in my coupons and give me the bag discount. I almost always bring my own
> bags.
>
> Walmart was pretty bad. We were pleased with the Walmart in Lynnwood added
> groceries and then very displeased just a few weeks later when they stopped
> carrying some of the things that we bought. It's to the point now where we
> won't go there for groceries. They do seem to be the only store that sells
> the Cherry/Lime Tic Tacs though.
>
> I did see stores listed in other areas where I have lived. Such as IGA,
> Weis and Pathmark that didn't get such good ratings. Aldi's didn't get a
> very good rating other than the price.

I read with interest, as bottom dollar which has hannaford products, just
opened here. Just started shopping aldi's and bottom dollar, and can save
much money shopping around. More selections than relying on local giant
eagle. So I got a 31 gallon gas tank, I try to make do with their fuel
perks. Now got $.70 off per gallon.
That's $350 in groceries. Some saving hah. Bottom dollar also has food
lion.

Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> Oddly enough for this area Winco was one of the bigger winners for
>> this area. Trader Joes got high ratings and even for their
>> perishable foods. I have had problems with every kind of produce I
>> have ever bought there, to the point where I will not buy it there
>> ever again. The way they wrap it makes it look fresh. But you get
>> it home and it is spoiled. The other thing I dislike about the is
>> that they will have a product I like. So I go there to get it again
>> and they never have it again. First it was rice, then it was candy,
>> then it was pizza. Their prices are good. I will say that. Costco
>> got high ratings as well but you do need to buy a lot of whatever it
>> is, most of the time if you shop there. Sometimes we buy stuff and
>> just donate part of it to the food bank because it is still cheaper
>> to do it that way than to buy at other stores. Sad to say that Albertsons
>> and Safeway did not get very high marks. QFC wasn't listed but they are
>> owned by Kroger and Kroger didn't
>> rate very high. Fred Meyer seemed to be neither bad nor good but I
>> feel overall that they have rather high prices. And since they do
>> sell more than just groceries they are not the place I want to go if
>> I want to pick up a few things. If I need to buy some other non
>> grocery items and I am not pressed for time, I will go there. It
>> can be hard to get parking there. Target didn't get very high marks
>> either. That surprised me because I have found their prices to be
>> pretty cheap and the quality of the produce (although somewhat
>> limited) to be very good. Their customer service is rather suckish
>> though and I do often have to instruct the cashiers on how to ring
>> things up. Like to ring in my coupons and give me the bag discount.
>> I almost always bring my own bags. Walmart was pretty bad. We were
>> pleased with the Walmart in
>> Lynnwood added groceries and then very displeased just a few weeks
>> later when they stopped carrying some of the things that we bought. It's
>> to the point now where we won't go there for groceries. They
>> do seem to be the only store that sells the Cherry/Lime Tic Tacs
>> though. I did see stores listed in other areas where I have lived. Such
>> as
>> IGA, Weis and Pathmark that didn't get such good ratings. Aldi's
>> didn't get a very good rating other than the price.
>>

> How about Wegman's and Whole Foods? I am debating about whether I
> want to make a journey to the only Wegman's that is in Massachusetts.

Whole Foods was very good except for the prices which were very bad. I
believe Wegmans was the top store or maybe second place. Sadly we don't
have them here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:
> On Apr 9, 8:09 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> Aldi's didn't get a very good rating other than the price.

> It's Aldi, not Aldi's.
>
> Their milk and egg prices are great, as are their produce specials.
> We've been buying 1# strawberries there for $1.29 for the past two
> weeks.

I shopped there when I was in PA but at that time I think they mostly just
sold canned goods.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 19:07:54 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> > wrote:
>
>> On Apr 9, 8:09 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>
>>> Aldi's didn't get a very good rating other than the price.

>> It's Aldi, not Aldi's.
>>
>> Their milk and egg prices are great, as are their produce specials.
>> We've been buying 1# strawberries there for $1.29 for the past two
>> weeks.
>>
>> --Bryan

> It's actually ALDI. Look on their website.
>
> John Kuthe...

Oh fine. Whatever. Ya'll know what I mean.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I did see stores listed in other areas where I have lived. Such as IGA,
> Weis and Pathmark that didn't get such good ratings. Aldi's didn't get a
> very good rating other than the price.

Kroger and Winco are both divisions of Kroger stores. Each division is operated separately, so the ratings would be different for each. Here in SoCal (from Bakersfield south) there are Winco & Food4Less stores, which are the discount type of grocery stores; Ralph's is the "regular super market", and all three are divisions of Kroger. As one who shops the ads regularly, Ralph's does have the best prices and products better than the other two.

Harriet & Critters

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gregz wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> Oddly enough for this area Winco was one of the bigger winners for
>> this area. Trader Joes got high ratings and even for their
>> perishable foods. I have had problems with every kind of produce I
>> have ever bought there, to the point where I will not buy it there
>> ever again. The way they wrap it makes it look fresh. But you get
>> it home and it is spoiled. The other thing I dislike about the is
>> that they will have a product I like. So I go there to get it again
>> and they never have it again. First it was rice, then it was candy,
>> then it was pizza. Their prices are good. I will say that. Costco
>> got high ratings as well but you do need to buy a lot of whatever it
>> is, most of the time if you shop there. Sometimes we buy stuff and
>> just donate part of it to the food bank because it is still cheaper
>> to do it that way than to buy at other stores.
>>
>> Sad to say that Albertsons and Safeway did not get very high marks.
>> QFC wasn't listed but they are owned by Kroger and Kroger didn't
>> rate very high. Fred Meyer seemed to be neither bad nor good but I
>> feel overall that they have rather high prices. And since they do
>> sell more than just groceries they are not the place I want to go if
>> I want to pick up a few things. If I need to buy some other non
>> grocery items and I am not pressed for time, I will go there. It
>> can be hard to get parking there. Target didn't get very high marks
>> either. That surprised me because I have found their prices to be
>> pretty cheap and the quality of the produce (although somewhat
>> limited) to be very good. Their customer service is rather suckish
>> though and I do often have to instruct the cashiers on how to ring
>> things up. Like to ring in my coupons and give me the bag discount.
>> I almost always bring my own bags.
>>
>> Walmart was pretty bad. We were pleased with the Walmart in
>> Lynnwood added groceries and then very displeased just a few weeks
>> later when they stopped carrying some of the things that we bought.
>> It's to the point now where we won't go there for groceries. They
>> do seem to be the only store that sells the Cherry/Lime Tic Tacs
>> though.
>>
>> I did see stores listed in other areas where I have lived. Such as
>> IGA, Weis and Pathmark that didn't get such good ratings. Aldi's
>> didn't get a very good rating other than the price.

> I read with interest, as bottom dollar which has hannaford products,
> just opened here. Just started shopping aldi's and bottom dollar, and
> can save much money shopping around. More selections than relying on
> local giant eagle. So I got a 31 gallon gas tank, I try to make do
> with their fuel perks. Now got $.70 off per gallon.
> That's $350 in groceries. Some saving hah. Bottom dollar also has food
> lion.
>
> Greg

I remember bad things about Food Lion from the 70's I think.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

critters & me in azusa, ca wrote:
>> I did see stores listed in other areas where I have lived. Such as
>> IGA, Weis and Pathmark that didn't get such good ratings. Aldi's
>> didn't get a very good rating other than the price.

> Kroger and Winco are both divisions of Kroger stores. Each division
> is operated separately, so the ratings would be different for each.
> Here in SoCal (from Bakersfield south) there are Winco & Food4Less
> stores, which are the discount type of grocery stores; Ralph's is the
> "regular super market", and all three are divisions of Kroger. As one
> who shops the ads regularly, Ralph's does have the best prices and
> products better than the other two.
>
> Harriet & Critters

Nope. Winco is owned by the employees. Not Kroger at all.

http://www.wincofoods.com/

I did shop at Ralph's once. Oddly enough I bought a bra there but I can't
remember the particulars of it now. I was much less busty in those days.
We were on vacation in Northern CA and visiting my parent's friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 19:24:23 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>John Kuthe wrote:
>> On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 19:07:54 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
>> > wrote:

>>> It's Aldi, not Aldi's.
>>>
>>> Their milk and egg prices are great, as are their produce specials.
>>> We've been buying 1# strawberries there for $1.29 for the past two
>>> weeks.
>>>
>>> --Bryan

>> It's actually ALDI. Look on their website.
>>
>> John Kuthe...

>Oh fine. Whatever. Ya'll know what I mean.

It's actually a contraction of ALbrecht's DIscount, a German company.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 19:24:23 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> John Kuthe wrote:
>>> On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 19:07:54 -0700 (PDT), Bryan

>>> It's actually ALDI. Look on their website.
>>>
>>> John Kuthe...

>> Oh fine. Whatever. Ya'll know what I mean.
>>

> It's actually a contraction of ALbrecht's DIscount, a German company.

Thanks professer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 9, 9:13*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 19:07:54 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
>
> > wrote:
> >On Apr 9, 8:09*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> >> **Aldi's didn't get a very good rating other than the price.

> >It's Aldi, not Aldi's.

> >Their milk and egg prices are great, as are their produce specials.
> >We've been buying 1# strawberries there for $1.29 for the past two
> >weeks.

> >--Bryan

> It's actually ALDI. Look on their website.

Yes. It stands for Albrecht Discount. The company owned by the other
brother owns Trader Joe's (one of them died fairly recently). Both of
those stores offer good shopping experiences, and savvy shoppers can
find great deals at both. Trader Joe's and ALDI both have the best
prices on gallons of milk. TJ's has a very nice raw milk Cheddar that
is reasonably priced.
ALDI can be a joy to shop at because they have the best workers I've
ever dealt with at a retailer.

> John Kuthe...

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 19:07:54 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> > wrote:
>
>> On Apr 9, 8:09 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>
>>> Aldi's didn't get a very good rating other than the price.

>> It's Aldi, not Aldi's.
>>
>> Their milk and egg prices are great, as are their produce specials.
>> We've been buying 1# strawberries there for $1.29 for the past two
>> weeks.
>>
>> --Bryan

> It's actually ALDI. Look on their website.
>
> John Kuthe...

We had an independent here that was famous. Pechins. For $1 you could fill
your belly at their restaurant. They used to through out meats, and it was
all hands grabbing anything. Anything you got was a bargain. It was
legendary, but I never got to go to their grocery. The owner died in 2005
and things went bad, including a fire. They also sold boats, had docks, and
sold gas on the river cheaper than gas stations. They also had a restaurant
at the docs, which was dirt cheap. $.20 cheeseburgers at the grocery. We
still have another legendary grocery, Frederick town butcher shop. 3 years
ago I walked out with 10 pounds of pork shoulder for $11.50 .

Trouble is, I would need to spend too much on gas money o get there.

Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 18:09:58 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Walmart was pretty bad.

> Here;'s what they said about Sheldon's favorite sto
>
> "No chains tried their customers¢ patience more than Walmart
> Supercenter... Shoppers who frequented Walmart, the nation¢s largest
> grocer and the chain with the most shoppers in our survey, were most
> likely to be miffed about the lack of open checkouts, out-of-stock
> regular items, indifferent employees, spotty pricing, and confusing
> store layout".
>
> Translation: Their customers are idiots.

I have seen some of the most unusual people at ours. And because they are
open 24 hours I have heard that all sorts of stuff happens in their parking
lot. People actually live there. Yep. I kept seeing campers out there and
my husband said it was because they let them stay there. There may be a
limit as to how long they can park there. I don't know.

Mostly I shop from them online. But there are some things you can only get
in the store. I will only venture in there if it is my last resort. Such
as the Cherry/Lime Tic Tacs which nobody else sells. Or something that is
so much cheaper there that it is worth my while. And then I will try to buy
about a year's supply of whatever it is. So I don't have to go back.

I much prefer Target when I need a store like that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 19:51:01 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

>On Apr 9, 9:13*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
>> On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 19:07:54 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
>>
>> > wrote:

>> >It's Aldi, not Aldi's.

>> >Their milk and egg prices are great, as are their produce specials.
>> >We've been buying 1# strawberries there for $1.29 for the past two
>> >weeks.

>> >--Bryan

>> It's actually ALDI. Look on their website.

>Yes. It stands for Albrecht Discount. The company owned by the other
>brother owns Trader Joe's (one of them died fairly recently). Both of
>those stores offer good shopping experiences, and savvy shoppers can
>find great deals at both. Trader Joe's and ALDI both have the best
>prices on gallons of milk. TJ's has a very nice raw milk Cheddar that
>is reasonably priced.
>ALDI can be a joy to shop at because they have the best workers I've
>ever dealt with at a retailer.
>>
>> John Kuthe...

>--Bryan

I save in gasoline what you save in $$ at ALDI and TJ, I'll bet!

I don't drive to grovery stores, very often or at all if I can help
it.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 9, 10:24*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 19:51:01 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
>

> > wrote:
> >On Apr 9, 9:13*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> >> On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 19:07:54 -0700 (PDT), Bryan

> >> It's actually ALDI. Look on their website.

> >Yes. *It stands for Albrecht Discount. *The company owned by the other
> >brother owns Trader Joe's (one of them died fairly recently). *Both of
> >those stores offer good shopping experiences, and savvy shoppers can
> >find great deals at both. *Trader Joe's and ALDI both have the best
> >prices on gallons of milk. *TJ's has a very nice raw milk Cheddar that
> >is reasonably priced.
> >ALDI can be a joy to shop at because they have the best workers I've
> >ever dealt with at a retailer.

> >> John Kuthe...

> >--Bryan

> I save in gasoline what you save in $$ at ALDI and TJ, I'll bet!
>
> I don't drive to grovery stores, very often or at all if I can help
> it.

ALDI is close, but it's very hilly between here and there--uphill (and
downhill) both ways.

> John Kuthe...

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 19:51:01 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> > wrote:
>
>>On Apr 9, 9:13 pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
>>> On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 19:07:54 -0700 (PDT), Bryan

>>> It's actually ALDI. Look on their website.

>>Yes. It stands for Albrecht Discount. The company owned by the other
>>brother owns Trader Joe's (one of them died fairly recently). Both of
>>those stores offer good shopping experiences, and savvy shoppers can
>>find great deals at both. Trader Joe's and ALDI both have the best
>>prices on gallons of milk. TJ's has a very nice raw milk Cheddar that
>>is reasonably priced.
>>ALDI can be a joy to shop at because they have the best workers I've
>>ever dealt with at a retailer.
>>>
>>> John Kuthe...

>>--Bryan

> I save in gasoline what you save in $$ at ALDI and TJ, I'll bet!
>
> I don't drive to grovery stores, very often or at all if I can help
> it.

That's a novel idea! What do they sell there? Oranges?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 9, 6:09*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> Oddly enough for this area Winco was one of the bigger winners for this
> area. *Trader Joes got high ratings and even for their perishable foods.. *I
> have had problems with every kind of produce I have ever bought there, to
> the point where I will not buy it there ever again. *The way they wrap it
> makes it look fresh. *But you get it home and it is spoiled. *The other
> thing I dislike about the is that they will have a product I like. *So I go
> there to get it again and they never have it again. *First it was rice, then
> it was candy, then it was pizza. *Their prices are good. *I will say that.
> Costco got high ratings as well but you do need to buy a lot of whatever it
> is, most of the time if you shop there. *Sometimes we buy stuff and just
> donate part of it to the food bank because it is still cheaper to do it that
> way than to buy at other stores.
>
> Sad to say that Albertsons and Safeway did not get very high marks. *QFC
> wasn't listed but they are owned by Kroger and Kroger didn't rate very high.
> Fred Meyer seemed to be neither bad nor good but I feel overall that they
> have rather high prices. *And since they do sell more than just groceries
> they are not the place I want to go if I want to pick up a few things. *If I
> need to buy some other non grocery items and I am not pressed for time, I
> will go there. *It can be hard to get parking there. *Target didn't get very
> high marks either. *That surprised me because I have found their prices to
> be pretty cheap and the quality of the produce (although somewhat limited)
> to be very good. *Their customer service is rather suckish though and I do
> often have to instruct the cashiers on how to ring things up. *Like to ring
> in my coupons and give me the bag discount. *I almost always bring my own
> bags.
>
> Walmart was pretty bad. *We were pleased with the Walmart in Lynnwood added
> groceries and then very displeased just a few weeks later when they stopped
> carrying some of the things that we bought. *It's to the point now where we
> won't go there for groceries. *They do seem to be the only store that sells
> the Cherry/Lime Tic Tacs though.
>
> I did see stores listed in other areas where I have lived. *Such as IGA,
> Weis and Pathmark that didn't get such good ratings. *Aldi's didn't get a
> very good rating other than the price.

It's all expensive if you are tossing or donating it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 9, 8:06*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 18:09:58 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:

> >> Walmart was pretty bad.

> > Here;'s what they said about Sheldon's favorite sto

> > "No chains tried their customers¢ patience more than Walmart
> > Supercenter... Shoppers who frequented Walmart, the nation¢s largest
> > grocer and the chain with the most shoppers in our survey, were most
> > likely to be miffed about the lack of open checkouts, out-of-stock
> > regular items, indifferent employees, spotty pricing, and confusing
> > store layout".

> > Translation: *Their customers are idiots.

> I have seen some of the most unusual people at ours. *And because they are
> open 24 hours I have heard that all sorts of stuff happens in their parking
> lot. *People actually live there. *Yep. *I kept seeing campers out there and
> my husband said it was because they let them stay there. *There may be a
> limit as to how long they can park there. *I don't know.
>
> Mostly I shop from them online. *But there are some things you can only get
> in the store. *I will only venture in there if it is my last resort. *Such
> as the Cherry/Lime Tic Tacs which nobody else sells. *Or something that is
> so much cheaper there that it is worth my while. *And then I will try to buy
> about a year's supply of whatever it is. *So I don't have to go back.
>
> I much prefer Target when I need a store like that.

Gotta have the tic tacs!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
On Apr 9, 6:09 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> Oddly enough for this area Winco was one of the bigger winners for this
> area. Trader Joes got high ratings and even for their perishable foods. I
> have had problems with every kind of produce I have ever bought there, to
> the point where I will not buy it there ever again. The way they wrap it
> makes it look fresh. But you get it home and it is spoiled. The other
> thing I dislike about the is that they will have a product I like. So I go
> there to get it again and they never have it again. First it was rice,
> then
> it was candy, then it was pizza. Their prices are good. I will say that.
> Costco got high ratings as well but you do need to buy a lot of whatever
> it
> is, most of the time if you shop there. Sometimes we buy stuff and just
> donate part of it to the food bank because it is still cheaper to do it
> that
> way than to buy at other stores.
>
> Sad to say that Albertsons and Safeway did not get very high marks. QFC
> wasn't listed but they are owned by Kroger and Kroger didn't rate very
> high.
> Fred Meyer seemed to be neither bad nor good but I feel overall that they
> have rather high prices. And since they do sell more than just groceries
> they are not the place I want to go if I want to pick up a few things. If
> need to buy some other non grocery items and I am not pressed for time, I
> will go there. It can be hard to get parking there. Target didn't get very
> high marks either. That surprised me because I have found their prices to
> be pretty cheap and the quality of the produce (although somewhat limited)
> to be very good. Their customer service is rather suckish though and I do
> often have to instruct the cashiers on how to ring things up. Like to ring
> in my coupons and give me the bag discount. I almost always bring my own
> bags.
>
> Walmart was pretty bad. We were pleased with the Walmart in Lynnwood added
> groceries and then very displeased just a few weeks later when they
> stopped
> carrying some of the things that we bought. It's to the point now where we
> won't go there for groceries. They do seem to be the only store that sells
> the Cherry/Lime Tic Tacs though.
>
> I did see stores listed in other areas where I have lived. Such as IGA,
> Weis and Pathmark that didn't get such good ratings. Aldi's didn't get a
> very good rating other than the price.

It's all expensive if you are tossing or donating it.

Nope. I frequently donate food that I get for cheap and for free. Yes, I
get food for free. I use coupons and when Albertsons is having their Twice
The Value coupons I can sometimes get stuff for free. On the week where
they had the rounding up coupons I witnessed the people ahead of me getting
some sort of nutrition bars for free. I don't know where they got those
coupons from. I write to vendors and get coupons for free things from time
to time. And then there are the coupons from QFC. I sent some free cheese
home with my nephew because we didn't need it. I used to get coupons from
Fred Meyers for free stuff but I guess I don't shop enough there now.
Haven't gotten any in a while.

Of course I am not saying that I only donate free food. I go to the food
bank's website every so often to see what they need. I do try to donate
what it is that they need. But if I can get something for free and I don't
need it or can't use it then why not donate it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 22:01:27 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

>How about Wegman's and Whole Foods? I am debating about whether I
>want to make a journey to the only Wegman's that is in Massachusetts.

I've been to the one in Northboro. If you go, try to go during the
week as it has been very crowded on Saturday.

I don't think they have any bargains, but what they do have, is a nice
selection of meats, seafood, cheeses, and baked goods. They have
stuff you won't find any place else around.

You can buy your lunch there at either the counter or the take away
and go to the seating area. Make a day of it and at least pick up
some of the items you won't find at your local stores.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 18:09:58 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Walmart was pretty bad.

> Here;'s what they said about Sheldon's favorite sto
>
> "No chains tried their customers¢ patience more than Walmart
> Supercenter... Shoppers who frequented Walmart, the nation¢s largest
> grocer and the chain with the most shoppers in our survey, were most
> likely to be miffed about the lack of open checkouts, out-of-stock
> regular items, indifferent employees, spotty pricing, and confusing
> store layout".
>
> Translation: Their customers are idiots.
>
> -sw

Remember a few years ago when someone tried to get a permit to build yet
another Wal*Mart near where I live? Voted down! One of the best arguments
I heard AGAINST the building permit was printed in a local newspaper
[paraphrased]: "When all the checkout stands at the existing Wal*Mart are
fully manned, and people are standing in line waiting to check out, THEN you
can build another Wal*Mart!"

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 19:07:54 -0700 (PDT), Bryan wrote:
>
>> On Apr 9, 8:09 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>
>>> Aldi's didn't get a very good rating other than the price.

>> It's Aldi, not Aldi's.
>>
>> Their milk and egg prices are great, as are their produce specials.
>> We've been buying 1# strawberries there for $1.29 for the past two
>> weeks.

> They've been $1.25 (16oz packages) at most stores here for the last
> 2-3 weeks. $.98/lb at Restaurnat Depot (in 12lb flats).
>
> -sw

You really aren't one to point out typos, are you? LOL

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 9, 10:49*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "John Kuthe" > wrote in message

> > On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 19:51:01 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> > > wrote:

> >>Yes. *It stands for Albrecht Discount. *The company owned by the other
> >>brother owns Trader Joe's (one of them died fairly recently). *Both of
> >>those stores offer good shopping experiences, and savvy shoppers can
> >>find great deals at both. *Trader Joe's and ALDI both have the best
> >>prices on gallons of milk. *TJ's has a very nice raw milk Cheddar that
> >>is reasonably priced.
> >>ALDI can be a joy to shop at because they have the best workers I've
> >>ever dealt with at a retailer.

> >>--Bryan

> > I save in gasoline what you save in $$ at ALDI and TJ, I'll bet!

> > I don't drive to grovery stores, very often or at all if I can help
> > it.

> That's a novel idea! *What do they sell there? *Oranges?

For the last few weeks they've had 4# bags of Cali navel oranges for
$1.29.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> > -sw

> You really aren't one to point out typos, are you? LOL

sqwishy believes his innate superiority to others entitles him to be a
Grammer Kop.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 9, 9:09*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> Oddly enough for this area Winco was one of the bigger winners for this
> area. *Trader Joes got high ratings and even for their perishable foods.. *I
> have had problems with every kind of produce I have ever bought there, to
> the point where I will not buy it there ever again. *The way they wrap it
> makes it look fresh. *But you get it home and it is spoiled. *The other
> thing I dislike about the is that they will have a product I like. *So I go
> there to get it again and they never have it again. *First it was rice, then
> it was candy, then it was pizza. *Their prices are good. *I will say that.
> Costco got high ratings as well but you do need to buy a lot of whatever it
> is, most of the time if you shop there. *Sometimes we buy stuff and just
> donate part of it to the food bank because it is still cheaper to do it that
> way than to buy at other stores.
>
> Sad to say that Albertsons and Safeway did not get very high marks. *QFC
> wasn't listed but they are owned by Kroger and Kroger didn't rate very high.
> Fred Meyer seemed to be neither bad nor good but I feel overall that they
> have rather high prices. *And since they do sell more than just groceries
> they are not the place I want to go if I want to pick up a few things. *If I
> need to buy some other non grocery items and I am not pressed for time, I
> will go there. *It can be hard to get parking there. *Target didn't get very
> high marks either. *That surprised me because I have found their prices to
> be pretty cheap and the quality of the produce (although somewhat limited)
> to be very good. *Their customer service is rather suckish though and I do
> often have to instruct the cashiers on how to ring things up. *Like to ring
> in my coupons and give me the bag discount. *I almost always bring my own
> bags.
>
> Walmart was pretty bad. *We were pleased with the Walmart in Lynnwood added
> groceries and then very displeased just a few weeks later when they stopped
> carrying some of the things that we bought. *It's to the point now where we
> won't go there for groceries. *They do seem to be the only store that sells
> the Cherry/Lime Tic Tacs though.
>
> I did see stores listed in other areas where I have lived. *Such as IGA,
> Weis and Pathmark that didn't get such good ratings. *Aldi's didn't get a
> very good rating other than the price.

I was surprised to see where Publix landed. Pretty close to the top.
I don't like some of their policies, like the packaged produce for
one. The parking lot is a nightmare and the ceilings are so high in
their stores, you sound like you're in a huge barn. The employees
always act scared too if you make a suggestion. I think they prob.
don't have an employee suggestion program - mention it to them and
they visibly quake.

Harris Teeter seemed to rank well - I've been in those while
traveling, and some Ingles too. Not baaaaad.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 20:37:56 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

>On Apr 9, 10:24*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
>> On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 19:51:01 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
>>

>> > wrote:

>> >Yes. *It stands for Albrecht Discount. *The company owned by the other
>> >brother owns Trader Joe's (one of them died fairly recently). *Both of
>> >those stores offer good shopping experiences, and savvy shoppers can
>> >find great deals at both. *Trader Joe's and ALDI both have the best
>> >prices on gallons of milk. *TJ's has a very nice raw milk Cheddar that
>> >is reasonably priced.
>> >ALDI can be a joy to shop at because they have the best workers I've
>> >ever dealt with at a retailer.

>> >--Bryan

>> I save in gasoline what you save in $$ at ALDI and TJ, I'll bet!
>>
>> I don't drive to grovery stores, very often or at all if I can help
>> it.

>ALDI is close, but it's very hilly between here and there--uphill (and
>downhill) both ways.
>>
>> John Kuthe...

>--Bryan

Yeah, too bad you don't have a bicycle with gears. I mean *real* gears
you can manually control. The time-proven widely popular bicycle
technology used by many. If the "Auto-bike" was such a great new
innovation, many more people would be using it. But like your
expensive designer-fad dietary supplements, they are just fads with
little to no actual value.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 10, 7:24*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 20:37:56 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
>

> > wrote:
> >On Apr 9, 10:24*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> >> On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 19:51:01 -0700 (PDT), Bryan

> >> I save in gasoline what you save in $$ at ALDI and TJ, I'll bet!

> >> I don't drive to grovery stores, very often or at all if I can help
> >> it.

> >ALDI is close, but it's very hilly between here and there--uphill (and
> >downhill) both ways.

> >> John Kuthe...

> >--Bryan

> Yeah, too bad you don't have a bicycle with gears. I mean *real* gears
> you can manually control. The time-proven widely popular bicycle
> technology used by many. If the "Auto-bike" was such a great new
> innovation, many more people would be using it.

That bike cost me $15 in nearly new condition. It was owned by an
elderly man--whom I know personally--who became unable to ride a bike
soon after he bought it. Besides, a trip to ALDI nearly always
involves a gallon of milk (8 pounds), and often 20 or more pounds of
other stuff. Not practical to bike. I used to ride 6 blocks to the
bus stop, then put the bike on the carrier on the front of the bus.
That took me to a block from work, but they changed the routes, so now
I drive.
Back then, I had a different $15 bike that got stolen. It was a
conventional 12 speed. The church garage sale--my source for $15
bikes--is coming up again this summer, and I'm going to grab another
bike if I see a good deal. Johnny has outgrown his, so we're one bike
short.

> John Kuthe...

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 08:29:43 -0500, Bull > wrote:

>In article
>,
> Bryan > wrote:
>
>> On Apr 9, 8:09*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>
>> > *Aldi's didn't get a very good rating other than the price.

>> It's Aldi, not Aldi's.
>>
>> Their milk and egg prices are great, as are their produce specials.
>> We've been buying 1# strawberries there for $1.29 for the past two
>> weeks.
>>
>> --Bryan

>Conventionally grown strawberries are always (nearly) the cheeeep ones.
>They are #6 in the hit list of the most contaminated. Interesting that
>you are picky about the oil you eat but are not that picky about
>pesticide poison.
>
>BULL

Oh, but they are only $1.29 a lb at ALDI!!

Bryan is being the very wise and frugal pesticide consumer!!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 10, 8:29*am, Bull > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> *Bryan > wrote:
> > On Apr 9, 8:09*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> > > **Aldi's didn't get a very good rating other than the price.

> > It's Aldi, not Aldi's.

> > Their milk and egg prices are great, as are their produce specials.
> > We've been buying 1# strawberries there for $1.29 for the past two
> > weeks.

> > --Bryan

> Conventionally grown strawberries are always (nearly) the cheeeep ones.
> They are #6 in the hit list of the most contaminated. *Interesting that
> you are picky about the oil you eat but are not that picky about
> pesticide poison.

There are economic tradeoffs. Pesticide residue may prove to be even
worse than bad fats. The fatty acid thing is very well researched.
One reason I focus so much on fats is that fats make up well over half
of the calories I consume. Breakfast was 6 sausage patties and two
jumbo eggs, the bigger half of an avocado, and two cups of coffee with
half&half.
My own strawberries, grown with no pesticides, are about marble sized,
and there's 25 square feet of them. This year I built a screened
cover so we get all of them, and those little flying dinos get zero.
Now, I've got a much bigger project, an enclosure for blackberries.
I've got plums for the first year, they're slightly smaller than
marble size. The pie and sweet cherry trees are loaded too.
Spinach and lettuce are right on schedule too.
When the strawberries are done for the season, They're coming back to
a new bed in my back yard, and those 25 sq ft at the community garden
are getting planted with peppers. That'll give me a chance to
seriously amend the soil there with year and a half old leaf compost.
The other 25 sq ft has already been made rich and beautiful. I'm far
from having the best plot. Others are more creative, and just better
gardeners, but I'm confident that I do have the best bed of soil.

> BULL

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 18:09:58 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>We were pleased with the Walmart in Lynnwood added
>groceries and then very displeased just a few weeks later when they stopped
>carrying some of the things that we bought. It's to the point now where we
>won't go there for groceries. They do seem to be the only store that sells
>the Cherry/Lime Tic Tacs though.

You consider Tic Tacs groceries? duh

Walmart sells exactly the same brands of groceries that are sold at
any grocery store only they charge less. I don't buy fresh meat at
Walmart because of how it's presented (in those plastic tubs it looks
like lab specimens) and that most is salinated... but all their other
food items are fine... even their produce is as good as at other
produce departments, common sense says to actually examine produce no
matter where purchased, even if picked from ones garden ya gotta
inspect. I like Walmart for frozen foods, they have a huge selection
and bargain prices... same with dairy, cured meats, canned/boxed
goods, toiletries, etc. I don't buy clothing at Walmart, it's not up
to my standards for quality but their childrens clothes are fine, it's
low cost and kids grow out of it before they wear it out anyway. I've
tasted Tic Tacs but don't remember ever buying any... aren't Tic Tacs
the next generation Pez?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 19:18:44 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>Jean B. wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>> Oddly enough for this area Winco was one of the bigger winners for
>>> this area. Trader Joes got high ratings and even for their
>>> perishable foods. I have had problems with every kind of produce I
>>> have ever bought there, to the point where I will not buy it there
>>> ever again. The way they wrap it makes it look fresh. But you get
>>> it home and it is spoiled. The other thing I dislike about the is
>>> that they will have a product I like. So I go there to get it again
>>> and they never have it again. First it was rice, then it was candy,
>>> then it was pizza. Their prices are good. I will say that. Costco
>>> got high ratings as well but you do need to buy a lot of whatever it
>>> is, most of the time if you shop there. Sometimes we buy stuff and
>>> just donate part of it to the food bank because it is still cheaper
>>> to do it that way than to buy at other stores. Sad to say that Albertsons
>>> and Safeway did not get very high marks. QFC wasn't listed but they are
>>> owned by Kroger and Kroger didn't
>>> rate very high. Fred Meyer seemed to be neither bad nor good but I
>>> feel overall that they have rather high prices. And since they do
>>> sell more than just groceries they are not the place I want to go if
>>> I want to pick up a few things. If I need to buy some other non
>>> grocery items and I am not pressed for time, I will go there. It
>>> can be hard to get parking there. Target didn't get very high marks
>>> either. That surprised me because I have found their prices to be
>>> pretty cheap and the quality of the produce (although somewhat
>>> limited) to be very good. Their customer service is rather suckish
>>> though and I do often have to instruct the cashiers on how to ring
>>> things up. Like to ring in my coupons and give me the bag discount.
>>> I almost always bring my own bags. Walmart was pretty bad. We were
>>> pleased with the Walmart in
>>> Lynnwood added groceries and then very displeased just a few weeks
>>> later when they stopped carrying some of the things that we bought. It's
>>> to the point now where we won't go there for groceries. They
>>> do seem to be the only store that sells the Cherry/Lime Tic Tacs
>>> though. I did see stores listed in other areas where I have lived. Such
>>> as
>>> IGA, Weis and Pathmark that didn't get such good ratings. Aldi's
>>> didn't get a very good rating other than the price.
>>>

>> How about Wegman's and Whole Foods? I am debating about whether I
>> want to make a journey to the only Wegman's that is in Massachusetts.

>Whole Foods was very good except for the prices which were very bad. I
>believe Wegmans was the top store or maybe second place. Sadly we don't
>have them here.

You can't really rate stupidmarket chains, every store within a chain
is different depending on location... in more affluent locations
grocery stores are higher quality... that's been my experience over my
entire shopping lifetime, and regardless which chain. Even fast food
joints and all restos vary by hood affluence. The Walmarts in higher
income areas are of much higher quality in every respect than in
economically depressed locations... whenever I hear folks complain
about Walmart I know that they live in a slum ghetto... all stores are
more deteriorated where poorer folks live... you can't buy burritos on
Park Ave NYC.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 9, 10:26*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> [...]

> The Value coupons I can sometimes get stuff for free. *On the week where
> they had the rounding up coupons I witnessed the people ahead of me getting
> some sort of nutrition bars for free. *I don't know where they got those
> coupons from. *I write to vendors and get coupons for free things from time
> to time. *And then there are the coupons from QFC. *I sent some free cheese
> home with my nephew because we didn't need it. *I used to get coupons from
> Fred Meyers for free stuff but I guess I don't shop enough there *now.
> Haven't gotten any in a while.
>
> Of course I am not saying that I only donate free food. *I go to the food
> bank's website every so often to see what they need. *I do try to donate
> what it is that they need. *But if I can get something for free and I don't
> need it or can't use it then why not donate it?

Understood- that makes sense!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 9, 7:13*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 19:07:54 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
>
> > wrote:
> >On Apr 9, 8:09*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> >> **Aldi's didn't get a very good rating other than the price.

> >It's Aldi, not Aldi's.

> >Their milk and egg prices are great, as are their produce specials.
> >We've been buying 1# strawberries there for $1.29 for the past two
> >weeks.

> It's actually ALDI. Look on their website.

The US stores are a branch of ALDI SUED. ALDI stands for AL(brecht)
DI(scount). The stores were started by the Albrecht brothers, whose
father was a trained baker.

http://www.aldi-sued.de/

See they're selling lawn mowers this week.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 10, 3:04*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message

> > On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 18:09:58 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:

> >> Walmart was pretty bad.

> > Here;'s what they said about Sheldon's favorite sto

> > "No chains tried their customers¢ patience more than Walmart
> > Supercenter... Shoppers who frequented Walmart, the nation¢s largest
> > grocer and the chain with the most shoppers in our survey, were most
> > likely to be miffed about the lack of open checkouts, out-of-stock
> > regular items, indifferent employees, spotty pricing, and confusing
> > store layout".

> > Translation: *Their customers are idiots.

> > -sw

> Remember a few years ago when someone tried to get a permit to build yet
> another Wal*Mart near where I live? *Voted down! *One of the best arguments
> I heard AGAINST the building permit was printed in a local newspaper
> [paraphrased]: *"When all the checkout stands at the existing Wal*Mart are
> fully manned, and people are standing in line waiting to check out, THEN you
> can build another Wal*Mart!"

The first Walmarts in our area have been abandoned in the race to
build bigger and bigger Walmarts. If you like eyesores, you'll love
Walmarts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 10, 10:01*am, spamtrap1888 > wrote:
> On Apr 9, 7:13*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
>

> > On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 19:07:54 -0700 (PDT), Bryan

> > > wrote:

> > >It's Aldi, not Aldi's.

> > >Their milk and egg prices are great, as are their produce specials.
> > >We've been buying 1# strawberries there for $1.29 for the past two
> > >weeks.

> > It's actually ALDI. Look on their website.

> The US stores are a branch of ALDI SUED. ALDI stands for AL(brecht)
> DI(scount). The stores were started by the Albrecht brothers, whose
> father was a trained baker.

Like our Mr. Kuthe, who is also a pretty good confectioner.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 10, 10:06*am, Bull > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> *Bryan > wrote:
> > half&half.

> But, but -- why half? *You might as well go WHOLE hog/cream. (;

I should, but I enjoy the half&half so much more, and I'm currently
not trying to lose weight, just maintaining, so I'm not being super
strict.

> Sounds like a nice garden!

It is, and it is the result of hard work and persistence, not natural
talent. I don't have the "green thumb" some folks do.

> BULL

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 08:01:25 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

>On Apr 9, 7:13*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:

>> It's actually ALDI. Look on their website.
>>

>The US stores are a branch of ALDI SUED. ALDI stands for AL(brecht)
>DI(scount). The stores were started by the Albrecht brothers, whose
>father was a trained baker.
>
>http://www.aldi-sued.de/
>
>See they're selling lawn mowers this week.

I was in there last week and they've got all kinds of lawn stuff out.
Most looked decent and cheap.

Lou