Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Consumer Reports rates food stores.

Oddly enough for this area Winco was one of the bigger winners for this
area. Trader Joes got high ratings and even for their perishable foods. I
have had problems with every kind of produce I have ever bought there, to
the point where I will not buy it there ever again. The way they wrap it
makes it look fresh. But you get it home and it is spoiled. The other
thing I dislike about the is that they will have a product I like. So I go
there to get it again and they never have it again. First it was rice, then
it was candy, then it was pizza. Their prices are good. I will say that.
Costco got high ratings as well but you do need to buy a lot of whatever it
is, most of the time if you shop there. Sometimes we buy stuff and just
donate part of it to the food bank because it is still cheaper to do it that
way than to buy at other stores.

Sad to say that Albertsons and Safeway did not get very high marks. QFC
wasn't listed but they are owned by Kroger and Kroger didn't rate very high.
Fred Meyer seemed to be neither bad nor good but I feel overall that they
have rather high prices. And since they do sell more than just groceries
they are not the place I want to go if I want to pick up a few things. If I
need to buy some other non grocery items and I am not pressed for time, I
will go there. It can be hard to get parking there. Target didn't get very
high marks either. That surprised me because I have found their prices to
be pretty cheap and the quality of the produce (although somewhat limited)
to be very good. Their customer service is rather suckish though and I do
often have to instruct the cashiers on how to ring things up. Like to ring
in my coupons and give me the bag discount. I almost always bring my own
bags.

Walmart was pretty bad. We were pleased with the Walmart in Lynnwood added
groceries and then very displeased just a few weeks later when they stopped
carrying some of the things that we bought. It's to the point now where we
won't go there for groceries. They do seem to be the only store that sells
the Cherry/Lime Tic Tacs though.

I did see stores listed in other areas where I have lived. Such as IGA,
Weis and Pathmark that didn't get such good ratings. Aldi's didn't get a
very good rating other than the price.