Old 23-02-2011, 05:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default Bittman shreds McDonalds "healthy" oatmeal

"A more accurate description than “100% natural whole-grain oats,”
“plump raisins,” “sweet cranberries” and “crisp fresh apples” would be
“oats, sugar, sweetened dried fruit, cream and 11 weird ingredients
you would never keep in your kitchen.”

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...meal-wrong/?hp

He goes on in the article to talk about why take a perfectly easy,
natural thing to cook and make it unhealthy by adding stuff most
people wouldn't eat if they knew what it was.

It's a good skewering of the fast food giant.

The last paragraph is a doozy.

"Here’s the thing: McDonald’s wants to get people in the store. Once a
day, once a week, once a month, the more the better, of course, but
routinely. And if you buy oatmeal, they’re o.k. with that. But they
know that, once inside, you’ll probably opt for a sausage biscuit
anyway.

And you won’t be much worse off. "

Old 23-02-2011, 06:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article b458f25d-963b-4a54-8add-35b893c87dc3
@o7g2000prn.googlegroups.com, says...

"A more accurate description than ?100% natural whole-grain oats,?
?plump raisins,? ?sweet cranberTries? and ?crisp fresh apples? would

be
?oats, sugar, sweetened dried fruit, cream and 11 weird ingredients
you would never keep in your kitchen.?

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...meal-wrong/?hp

He goes on in the article to talk about why take a perfectly easy,
natural thing to cook and make it unhealthy by adding stuff most
people wouldn't eat if they knew what it was.

It's a good skewering of the fast food giant.

The last paragraph is a doozy.

"Here?s the thing: McDonald?s wants to get people in the store. Once a
day, once a week, once a month, the more the better, of course, but
routinely. And if you buy oatmeal, they?re o.k. with that. But they
know that, once inside, you?ll probably opt for a sausage biscuit
anyway.

And you won?t be much worse off. "

I grew up a half mile from one of the very first McDonalds in my state.
I remember 15 cent burgers and 10 cent shakes, I remember the signs when
they were still talking about hundreds of thousands sold, now it's
"billions and billions". My dad took me there at least once a week, I
was hooked for decades to big macs.

The last time I did McDonalds was about three years ago when I walked in
go get a burger, fries, and shake for the three of us, and it came to 26
dollars! Man, me and the wife and kid can get a sit down meal for 30
right next door at Red Robin, Fridays, etc., so McDonalds is just a
memory..

Old 23-02-2011, 07:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 13:04:04 -0500, I_am_Tosk
wrote:

In article b458f25d-963b-4a54-8add-35b893c87dc3
, says...

[...]

That's so true. They're not cheap anymore and don't taste anything
like what they did when I was a kid. When I was in high school I
loved quarter pounders with cheese. The bun was soft, the meat was
juicy, and the cheese was melted. I tried one a few years ago and the
friggin cheese wasn't even melted. The bun was bad and the meat was
like half of what it was years ago. I only got half of it down. It
was at a tollway oasis and it was about $3.50. What a joke.

Chick-Fil-A has just started opening up in the Chicago burbs and one
is about a mile from me. I used a coupon for the basic $2.99 sandwich
and I have to say it was excellent for fast food. And it didn't give
me the shits like mCshitteis did.

Lou

Old 23-02-2011, 07:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
says...

wrote:

In article b458f25d-963b-4a54-8add-35b893c87dc3
,
says...

[...]

Just give me a bucket from the Colonel and I am good, maybe two to three
times a year at most though
Old 23-02-2011, 08:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:
[...]

One of the better (nutritionally) breakfasts at McD's is the Egg
McMuffin. That's what I get when I'm stuck going there for breakfast.
BK has a sandwich almost just like it on their dollar menu, but I
think it's made with sausage. The important thing is getting an
English muffin sandwich and not a biscuit sandwich. That, and not
ordering fries or hashbrowns with it. ;-)

I usually eat rolled oats raw when I have them for breakfast. Just
soak them in milk for a few minutes, then stir in a little bit of
something sugary and crunchy to make it interesting -- like frosted
raisin bran.

Steel-cut oats get cooked the night before, then warmed up in the
morning with dried fruit and a little cream.

-Bob

Old 23-02-2011, 09:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 14:51:05 -0600, zxcvbob
wrote:

One of the better (nutritionally) breakfasts at McD's is the Egg
McMuffin. That's what I get when I'm stuck going there for breakfast.

I used to stop there occasionally for a McMuffin & coffee on my way to
work, but I learned quickly that although I like their hash browns
(after blotting well)... the old adage "a moment on the lips, a
lifetime on the hips" was all too true.

Old 23-02-2011, 10:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/23/2011 2:51 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
ImStillMags wrote:
[...]

The two breakfast meals at Mickey Dee's with the least calories are the
Egg Mac and the sausage burrito (just one). They're each 350 calories
with the majority of that being fat. I eat at the local spot one or two
times a week with the ROMEO's, Retired Old Men Eating Out. All veterans,
all retired from the oil patch like me, and all running from about 70 to
near 90. Good crew, we have solved all the problems of the world several
times now but no one listens.

Generally at home I either eat a whole what bagel with some whipped
cream cheese, or a bowl of oatmeal with cinnamon and skim milk plus a
shot of Splenda. Sunday mornings I usually make a hash brown, fake egg,
bacon or sausage, sweet chiles and onions, fritata for DW and I. If not
it is just scrambled fake eggs with toast.
Old 23-02-2011, 11:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I_am_Tosk wrote:

The last time I did McDonalds was about three years ago when I walked in
go get a burger, fries, and shake for the three of us, and it came to 26
dollars!

Those numbers just don't compute? How many burgers were you ordering for
each person???
Old 23-02-2011, 11:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23/02/2011 1:04 PM, I_am_Tosk wrote:

And you won?t be much worse off. "

I grew up a half mile from one of the very first McDonalds in my state.
I remember 15 cent burgers and 10 cent shakes, I remember the signs when
they were still talking about hundreds of thousands sold, now it's
"billions and billions". My dad took me there at least once a week, I
was hooked for decades to big macs.

The last time I did McDonalds was about three years ago when I walked in
go get a burger, fries, and shake for the three of us, and it came to 26
dollars! Man, me and the wife and kid can get a sit down meal for 30
right next door at Red Robin, Fridays, etc., so McDonalds is just a
memory..

First thing..... I can't figure why they wouldn't just sell good old old
large flake rolled oats. Oats are cheap and easy enough to cook that
MacDonalds should be able to figure a way to come up with an idiot proof
system for cooking it.Heck, they could even get steel cut for the same
price and hype it as the good stuff.

Oatmeal would suit people like me. I don't do bacon, sausage and/or eggs
for breakfast. I rarely go out for breakfast because I like hot or cold
cereal for breakfast. It is too fast and easy to make at home, so there
is no point in going out for it.

I don't know how anyone could get hooked on MacDonalds. I never did like
their food. I didn't like their burgers or their fries. I wokred on the
road for years and made the mistake of eating at MacDonalds a few times.
I didn't like the food and liked the after effects of eating them even
more.

Second.... don't understand how anyone could be hooked on Ma

Old 24-02-2011, 12:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
says...

"I_am_Tosk" wrote in message

says...

I_am_Tosk wrote:

The last time I did McDonalds was about three years ago when I walked
in
go get a burger, fries, and shake for the three of us, and it came to
26
dollars!

Those numbers just don't compute? How many burgers were you ordering for
each person???

Well, If I remember correctly it was three "meals" (big mac, quarter
pounder, etc..), Supersized, with Shakes instead of soda, and probably
three extra regular sized cheesburgers.

(snippage)

I'm with Goomba on this. What the heck is an "extra regular sized
cheeseburger"?

Jill

I am starting to wonder if you do this on purpose.

"Three", as in three, as in the number three, like 3. Used in a
sentence, I ordered three cheeseburgers.

"Extra" as in more than the normal amount. Used in a sentence, we
ordered "extra" cheeseburgers.

And "cheeseburgers" (plural like I posted, not singular as your quoted)
are little patties of beef, with cheese and a bun, sometimes condiments
and such too, generally eaten with the hands, a form of a sandwich. Used
in a sentence, we ordered three extra, regular sized cheeseburgers!

Maybe if some of you didn't take your selves so frekin' seriously, and
were not always looking to find a flaw in others posts or opinions,
English would be a bit less difficult. snerk