Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

Default McDonalds "Oriental BBQ Beef" UK

A "special" at the moment at McDonalds is the Oriental BBQ Beef burger.

It comprises of: 100% Beef Patty, cheese, Batavia lettuce, onion, BBQ
sauce and a split-top seeded bun.

Forgive me for asking, but what *exactly* is Oriental about that?

Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 10:48:39 -0700, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>Corey Richardson wrote:
>>
>> A "special" at the moment at McDonalds is the Oriental BBQ Beef burger.
>>
>> It comprises of: 100% Beef Patty, cheese, Batavia lettuce, onion, BBQ
>> sauce and a split-top seeded bun.
>>
>> Forgive me for asking, but what *exactly* is Oriental about that?

>There's probably soy sauce in the BBQ sauce.
>And the seeds on the bun are probably sesame seeds.

Still not very "Oriental" is it?

Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

Corey Richardson wrote:

> A "special" at the moment at McDonalds is the Oriental BBQ Beef burger.
>
> It comprises of: 100% Beef Patty, cheese, Batavia lettuce, onion, BBQ
> sauce and a split-top seeded bun.
>
> Forgive me for asking, but what *exactly* is Oriental about that?

There's probably soy sauce in the BBQ sauce.
And the seeds on the bun are probably sesame seeds.
Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc
aem aem is offline

On Jul 30, 9:09*am, Corey Richardson `R> wrote:
> A "special" at the moment at McDonalds is the Oriental BBQ Beef burger.
> Forgive me for asking, but what *exactly* is Oriental about that?

Just curious....is "Oriental" still widely used in the U.K., rather
than "asian"? Does it still connote something exotic? -aem

Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 18:49:32 +0100, "Mike........"
> wrote:

>Following up to Corey Richardson
>
>> Still not very "Oriental" is it?

>you eat it with chopsticks.

LOL!

Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 10:51:23 -0700 (PDT), aem >
wrote:

>On Jul 30, 9:09*am, Corey Richardson `R> wrote:
>> A "special" at the moment at McDonalds is the Oriental BBQ Beef burger.
>> Forgive me for asking, but what *exactly* is Oriental about that?

>Just curious....is "Oriental" still widely used in the U.K., rather
>than "asian"? Does it still connote something exotic? -aem

AFAIC, "Oriental" means Chinese/Japanese and "Asian" is
Indian/Pakistani.

Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

Corey Richardson wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 10:51:23 -0700 (PDT), aem >
> wrote:
>
>> On Jul 30, 9:09 am, Corey Richardson `R> wrote:
>>> A "special" at the moment at McDonalds is the Oriental BBQ Beef burger.
>>> Forgive me for asking, but what *exactly* is Oriental about that?

>> Just curious....is "Oriental" still widely used in the U.K., rather
>> than "asian"? Does it still connote something exotic? -aem

> AFAIC, "Oriental" means Chinese/Japanese and "Asian" is
> Indian/Pakistani.

I thought carpets/rugs were "Oriental" and people were "Asian". I don't
think my Japanese SIL likes to be called an Oriental.

-tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 19:01:04 +0100, Corey Richardson
`R> wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 10:51:23 -0700 (PDT), aem >
>wrote:
>
>>On Jul 30, 9:09*am, Corey Richardson `R> wrote:
>>> A "special" at the moment at McDonalds is the Oriental BBQ Beef burger.
>>> Forgive me for asking, but what *exactly* is Oriental about that?

>>Just curious....is "Oriental" still widely used in the U.K., rather
>>than "asian"? Does it still connote something exotic? -aem

>AFAIC, "Oriental" means Chinese/Japanese and "Asian" is
>Indian/Pakistani.

Switch the terms and that's my connotation

Oriental = India and the "stans"
Asian = Far East

What's Oriental about a BBQ Beef burger is beyond me.

Mae West
Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 14:14:12 -0400, Tracy > wrote:

>I thought carpets/rugs were "Oriental" and people were "Asian". I don't
>think my Japanese SIL likes to be called an Oriental.

Rugs from China are called Chinese rugs. You know what Persian rugs
are - the area is debatable, but centers in Iran. Rugs from India and
the surrounding areas are called Oriental, but tagged by country of
origin.

The people of Asia are called Asians as a whole or identified
individually by their country of origin (if you know it). I'm an
American first, a North American second, "of European ancestry" a
distant third.

I don't blame your SIL. Calling people Orientals reeks old fashioned
Colonial attitude.

Just my 2¢

Mae West
Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

Corey Richardson wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 10:51:23 -0700 (PDT), aem >
> wrote:
>
> >Just curious....is "Oriental" still widely used in the U.K., rather
> >than "asian"? Does it still connote something exotic? -aem

> AFAIC, "Oriental" means Chinese/Japanese and "Asian" is
> Indian/Pakistani.

In the UK, "Europe" begins on the other side
of the English channel. But in the US,
we consider the UK to be part of Europe.
So we aren't likely to look to them for
geography lessons.

Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

wrote:

>Corey Richardson wrote:
>>
>> A "special" at the moment at McDonalds is the Oriental BBQ Beef burger.
>>
>> It comprises of: 100% Beef Patty, cheese, Batavia lettuce, onion, BBQ
>> sauce and a split-top seeded bun.
>>
>> Forgive me for asking, but what *exactly* is Oriental about that?

>There's probably soy sauce in the BBQ sauce.
>And the seeds on the bun are probably sesame seeds.

Ok, I had to try one.

It's just a burger with slightly oriental tasting BBQ sauce and some
toasted sesame seeds on the bun.

I don't know what I expected, but it was a bit meh...

Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 11:42:17 -0700, sf wrote:

>Calling people Orientals reeks old fashioned
>Colonial attitude.

Even the Chinese describe it as Oriental. At the UK's Wing Yip online
store it's described as "Chinese and Oriental Food Made Easy - Online"

http://www.wingyipstore.co.uk/

I think only PC people have a problem with the term "Oriental".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 14:14:12 -0400, Tracy > wrote:
>
>> I thought carpets/rugs were "Oriental" and people were "Asian". I don't
>> think my Japanese SIL likes to be called an Oriental.

> Rugs from China are called Chinese rugs. You know what Persian rugs
> are - the area is debatable, but centers in Iran. Rugs from India and
> the surrounding areas are called Oriental, but tagged by country of
> origin.
>
> The people of Asia are called Asians as a whole or identified
> individually by their country of origin (if you know it). I'm an
> American first, a North American second, "of European ancestry" a
> distant third.
>
> I don't blame your SIL. Calling people Orientals reeks old fashioned
> Colonial attitude.
>
> Just my 2¢

Well that's what I meant. :-)

I just did a quick wiki search:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriental_rug

I have never heard the term "chinese rug" but I have heard "oriental
rug". Not that wiki is such a great fountain of wisdom but according to
the article Chinese rugs are Oriental rugs. Whatever. I just think that
in the US, people are usually not referred to as Oriental. My mother,
when she was on her death bed in a hospital in Boston's Chinatown said,
when asked, "do you know where you are"? she replied, "Chinkytown". Not
kidding. She was slightly delirious from pain killers, but, that was
totally her. Not the most PC person out there.

Tracy
Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

"Mike........" > wrote in message
> Following up to Mike........
>
> >>But in the US,
> >> we consider the UK to be part of Europe.

> > So do we, although we are of course an archipelego or whatever off the
> > coast.

> the only person i have heard of who was confused was a US immigration
> official who though Scotland was part of England! Its hard to see what
> other continent you could include the UK with?
> --
> Mike.....................
> Google-groups killfiled
> Remove clothing to email

This topiv has nothing to do at all with fast-food. Please discontinue
sross-posting to alt.fast-food please.

Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

On Jul 30, 11:09*am, Corey Richardson `R> wrote:
> A "special" at the moment at McDonalds is the Oriental BBQ Beef burger.
>
> It comprises of: 100% Beef Patty, cheese, Batavia lettuce, onion, BBQ
> sauce and a split-top seeded bun.
>
> Forgive me for asking, but what *exactly* is Oriental about that?

No option for cheese.

Lynn in Fargo

Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

On Jul 30, 11:09*am, Corey Richardson `R> wrote:
> A "special" at the moment at McDonalds is the Oriental BBQ Beef burger.
>
> It comprises of: 100% Beef Patty, cheese, Batavia lettuce, onion, BBQ
> sauce and a split-top seeded bun.
>
> Forgive me for asking, but what *exactly* is Oriental about that?

=================================

Oh sheesh! I didn't see the cheese part!

Lynn in Fargo
Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc
aem aem is offline

On Jul 30, 9:09*am, Corey Richardson `R> wrote:
> A "special" at the moment at McDonalds is the Oriental BBQ Beef burger.
>
> It comprises of: 100% Beef Patty, cheese, Batavia lettuce, onion, BBQ
> sauce and a split-top seeded bun.
>
> Forgive me for asking, but what *exactly* is Oriental about that?

I imagine a McD management meeting:

- let's drop some bbq sauce on a burger.
- ok, we can sell that as a 'bbq beef burger'.
- no, bbq beef has nothing to do with a beef patty and we
certainly don't want to spend the money to make real bbq beef.
- ok, we'll call it 'oriental bbq beef burger' because orientals
don't know about bbq either and that'll deflect any criticism.
- you're a genius.

Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

Jerry Sauk wrote:

> This topiv has nothing to do at all with fast-food. Please discontinue
> sross-posting to alt.fast-food please.

Please stop posting in rfc since you don't have a clue on how to cook.
Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

Mike........ wrote:

> the only person i have heard of who was confused was a US immigration
> official who though Scotland was part of England! Its hard to see what
> other continent you could include the UK with?

I once met a British consular official who was unclear on the definition
of the UK/England/Scotland...
Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 16:28:39 -0500, Scott > wrote:

>Jerry Sauk wrote:
>>

>> This topiv has nothing to do at all with fast-food. Please discontinue
>> sross-posting to alt.fast-food please.
>>

>Please stop posting in rfc since you don't have a clue on how to cook.

If you can't cook AND enjoy a fast-food meal sometimes then you're
missing something, IMHO.

Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 17:31:23 -0400, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>Mike........ wrote:
>
>> the only person i have heard of who was confused was a US immigration
>> official who though Scotland was part of England! Its hard to see what
>> other continent you could include the UK with?

>I once met a British consular official who was unclear on the definition
>of the UK/England/Scotland...

That's bad! I don't suppose we're too clear on the US states though...

Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 12:28:57 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo
> wrote:

>On Jul 30, 11:09*am, Corey Richardson `R> wrote:
>> A "special" at the moment at McDonalds is the Oriental BBQ Beef burger.
>>
>> It comprises of: 100% Beef Patty, cheese, Batavia lettuce, onion, BBQ
>> sauce and a split-top seeded bun.
>>
>> Forgive me for asking, but what *exactly* is Oriental about that?

>=============================================== ==
>
>No option for cheese.
>
>Lynn in Fargo

It has cheese!
Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 12:30:41 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo
> wrote:

>On Jul 30, 11:09*am, Corey Richardson `R> wrote:
>> A "special" at the moment at McDonalds is the Oriental BBQ Beef burger.
>>
>> It comprises of: 100% Beef Patty, cheese, Batavia lettuce, onion, BBQ
>> sauce and a split-top seeded bun.
>>
>> Forgive me for asking, but what *exactly* is Oriental about that?

>=================================
>
>Oh sheesh! I didn't see the cheese part!
>
>Lynn in Fargo

Whoops! Didn't see your other post.

It's not fantastic though, with or without cheese.

Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 13:35:45 -0700 (PDT), aem >
wrote:

>On Jul 30, 9:09*am, Corey Richardson `R> wrote:
>> A "special" at the moment at McDonalds is the Oriental BBQ Beef burger.
>>
>> It comprises of: 100% Beef Patty, cheese, Batavia lettuce, onion, BBQ
>> sauce and a split-top seeded bun.
>>
>> Forgive me for asking, but what *exactly* is Oriental about that?

>I imagine a McD management meeting:
>
> - let's drop some bbq sauce on a burger.
> - ok, we can sell that as a 'bbq beef burger'.
> - no, bbq beef has nothing to do with a beef patty and we
>certainly don't want to spend the money to make real bbq beef.
> - ok, we'll call it 'oriental bbq beef burger' because orientals
>don't know about bbq either and that'll deflect any criticism.
> - you're a genius.

I bet it went something exactly like that!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 19:59:00 +0100, Corey Richardson
`R> wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 11:42:17 -0700, sf wrote:
>
>>Calling people Orientals reeks old fashioned
>>Colonial attitude.

>Even the Chinese describe it as Oriental. At the UK's Wing Yip online
>store it's described as "Chinese and Oriental Food Made Easy - Online"
>
>http://www.wingyipstore.co.uk/
>
>I think only PC people have a problem with the term "Oriental".

The website isn't calling *people* Oriental, they are calling *food*
Oriental and they call Chinese food *Chinese*. What a concept!

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 19:59:00 +0100, Corey Richardson
> `R> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 11:42:17 -0700, sf wrote:
>>
>>> Calling people Orientals reeks old fashioned
>>> Colonial attitude.

>> Even the Chinese describe it as Oriental. At the UK's Wing Yip online
>> store it's described as "Chinese and Oriental Food Made Easy - Online"
>>
>> http://www.wingyipstore.co.uk/
>>
>> I think only PC people have a problem with the term "Oriental".

> The website isn't calling *people* Oriental, they are calling *food*
> Oriental and they call Chinese food *Chinese*. What a concept!

That's the Chinese for you - there's China and then there's the rest of
Asia. They do have a point, seeing as how most Asian cultures were born
from China. As I recall, the original Hawaiian people probably came from
China too.

Speaking of Oriental food, I just had a bowl of Nong Shim Kimchi
flavored bowl noodle. It's hot stuff and I was sweating like a pig and
my head felt like it might explode - the best $.60 I ever paid for
Oriental food - Korean food, for you non-Chinese.

So guy told me that some folks in San Fransisco wanted to name a sewage
plant after GW Bush. I told him stop telling me such BS. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 15:30:38 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:

>So guy told me that some folks in San Fransisco wanted to name a sewage
>plant after GW Bush. I told him stop telling me such BS. :-)

Yep, it's true.... it's on the ballot and I don't see how it won't
pass. This City is only 9% Republican.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BA7A11QU1S.DTL

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 19:30:24 +0100, "Mike........"
> wrote:

>the UK census seperates "Asian" from "Chinese", so I assume we replace
>"oriental" with "chinese", didnt realise oriental was defamatory, does
>every racial word become an insult over time?

Misusing Oriental isn't defamatory, it's just plain ignorant. Be my
guest, use it... and know you're being laughed at behind your back.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

said...

> On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 15:30:38 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:
>
>>So guy told me that some folks in San Fransisco wanted to name a sewage
>>plant after GW Bush. I told him stop telling me such BS. :-)

> Yep, it's true.... it's on the ballot and I don't see how it won't
> pass. This City is only 9% Republican.
> http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?

f=/c/a/2008/07/17/BA7A11QU1S.DTL

Sure, with Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein writing the gun laws without
a vote or a clue!?!?

No wonder Kalifornia has been disarmed without a popular vote!!! Those two
simply designed "assault weapons bans" gun laws without putting it to a
vote, clueless!

And Kalifornia now has the Mexican gangs! Well at least you know who to
thank!!!

Boxer and Feinstein.

Krazy Friggin Kalifornians!

Andy
Prior Citizen

Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 07:14:04 +0100, Mike........ wrote:

> the nearest capital city
> is Bergen?

Which country is Bergen the capital of ? New Norway? ;-)
--
Tim C.

Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

"Mike........" wrote:

> this has nothing to do with the UK being in Scandanavia, did you know that
> if you stand on the last northerly land of the UK, the nearest capital city
> is Bergen? Or that the most northerly McD is probably twenty four hours
> travelling to the south in Elgin?

Here's a fun question to ponder. At a distance
of 2.4 miles, what is the third closest nation
to the United States?

http://tinyurl.com/6qq28m
Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 23:30:11 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:

> "Mike........" wrote:
>>
>> this has nothing to do with the UK being in Scandanavia, did you know that
>> if you stand on the last northerly land of the UK, the nearest capital city
>> is Bergen? Or that the most northerly McD is probably twenty four hours
>> travelling to the south in Elgin?

> Here's a fun question to ponder. At a distance
> of 2.4 miles, what is the third closest nation
> to the United States?
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6qq28m

Russia?

--
Tim C.
Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 07:38:51 +0100, Mike........ wrote:

> Following up to Tim C.
>
>>> the nearest capital city
>>> is Bergen?

>> Which country is Bergen the capital of ? New Norway? ;-)

> "Bergen A seaport and capital of Hordaland county in south-west Norway"
>
> I didnt say country! :-) Its a Lerwick trick question, which capital city
> is nerest to us...Edinburgh, WRONG!

Ok, ok. Fell for it. :-(

--
Tim C.
Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

Mark Thorson wrote:
> "Mike........" wrote:
>>
>> this has nothing to do with the UK being in Scandanavia, did you
>> know that if you stand on the last northerly land of the UK, the
>> nearest capital city is Bergen? Or that the most northerly McD is
>> probably twenty four hours travelling to the south in Elgin?

> Here's a fun question to ponder. At a distance
> of 2.4 miles, what is the third closest nation
> to the United States?
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6qq28m

The article says it's part of Alaska?

nancy
Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 08:37:21 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

> Mark Thorson wrote:
>> "Mike........" wrote:
>>>
>>> this has nothing to do with the UK being in Scandanavia, did you
>>> know that if you stand on the last northerly land of the UK, the
>>> nearest capital city is Bergen? Or that the most northerly McD is
>>> probably twenty four hours travelling to the south in Elgin?

>> Here's a fun question to ponder. At a distance
>> of 2.4 miles, what is the third closest nation
>> to the United States?
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/6qq28m

> The article says it's part of Alaska?

"..Its neighboring island Big Diomede, Russia behind the International
Date Line is less than 4 km (2.4 miles) away. "

Russia, RUSSIA!

--
Tim C.

Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 15:56:05 +0100, Mike........ wrote:

> Following up to Tim C.
>
>> Russia, RUSSIA!

> Is that the USSR?

I don't know any more. What's it called now? the Russian Federation or
something?

--
Tim C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 19:08:55 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:

>On 30-Jul-2008, "Mike........" > wrote:
>
>> the UK census seperates "Asian" from "Chinese", so I assume we replace
>> "oriental" with "chinese", didnt realise oriental was defamatory, does
>> every racial word become an insult over time?
>> --

>In the US it does.

is it so difficult to call people what they wish to be called?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 11:42:17 -0700, sf wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 14:14:12 -0400, Tracy > wrote:
>
>>I thought carpets/rugs were "Oriental" and people were "Asian". I don't
>>think my Japanese SIL likes to be called an Oriental.

>Rugs from China are called Chinese rugs. You know what Persian rugs
>are - the area is debatable, but centers in Iran. Rugs from India and
>the surrounding areas are called Oriental, but tagged by country of
>origin.
>
>The people of Asia are called Asians as a whole or identified
>individually by their country of origin (if you know it). I'm an
>American first, a North American second, "of European ancestry" a
>distant third.
>
>I don't blame your SIL. Calling people Orientals reeks old fashioned
>Colonial attitude.
>
>Just my 2¢

plus, he's leaving out 'wily' or 'inscrutable.'

your pal,
mr. moto
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 19:27:29 -0700, sf wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 15:30:38 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:
>
>>So guy told me that some folks in San Fransisco wanted to name a sewage
>>plant after GW Bush. I told him stop telling me such BS. :-)

>Yep, it's true.... it's on the ballot and I don't see how it won't
>pass. This City is only 9% Republican.
>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BA7A11QU1S.DTL

republicans have no gift for irony. actually, they don't have a gift
for much of anything besides thievery.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 19:50:43 +0100, "Mike........"
> wrote:

>Following up to Mark Thorson
>
>> In the UK, "Europe" begins on the other side
>> of the English channel.

>no, *continental* europe does. *some* people talk of "europe" that way,
>meaning the operation of the EU, if they dislike it, but generally thats a
>50 years out of date view.
>
>>But in the US,
>> we consider the UK to be part of Europe.

>So do we, although we are of course an archipelego or whatever off the
>coast.

round these parts, we refer to the u.k. as 'perfidious albion.'

your pal,
blake