Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bittman shreds McDonalds "healthy" oatmeal

On 23/02/2011 1:04 PM, I_am_Tosk wrote:

>> And you won?t be much worse off. "

> I grew up a half mile from one of the very first McDonalds in my state.
> I remember 15 cent burgers and 10 cent shakes, I remember the signs when
> they were still talking about hundreds of thousands sold, now it's
> "billions and billions". My dad took me there at least once a week, I
> was hooked for decades to big macs.
>
> The last time I did McDonalds was about three years ago when I walked in
> go get a burger, fries, and shake for the three of us, and it came to 26
> dollars! Man, me and the wife and kid can get a sit down meal for 30
> right next door at Red Robin, Fridays, etc., so McDonalds is just a
> memory..

First thing..... I can't figure why they wouldn't just sell good old old
large flake rolled oats. Oats are cheap and easy enough to cook that
MacDonalds should be able to figure a way to come up with an idiot proof
system for cooking it.Heck, they could even get steel cut for the same
price and hype it as the good stuff.

Oatmeal would suit people like me. I don't do bacon, sausage and/or eggs
for breakfast. I rarely go out for breakfast because I like hot or cold
cereal for breakfast. It is too fast and easy to make at home, so there
is no point in going out for it.

I don't know how anyone could get hooked on MacDonalds. I never did like
their food. I didn't like their burgers or their fries. I wokred on the
road for years and made the mistake of eating at MacDonalds a few times.
I didn't like the food and liked the after effects of eating them even
more.

Second.... don't understand how anyone could be hooked on Ma