Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bittman shreds McDonalds "healthy" oatmeal

On 2/23/2011 2:51 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
> ImStillMags wrote:
>> "A more accurate description than “100% natural whole-grain oats,”
>> “plump raisins,” “sweet cranberries” and “crisp fresh apples” would be
>> “oats, sugar, sweetened dried fruit, cream and 11 weird ingredients
>> you would never keep in your kitchen.”
>>
>> http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...meal-wrong/?hp
>>

>> He goes on in the article to talk about why take a perfectly easy,
>> natural thing to cook and make it unhealthy by adding stuff most
>> people wouldn't eat if they knew what it was.
>>
>> It's a good skewering of the fast food giant.

>> The last paragraph is a doozy.
>>
>> "Here’s the thing: McDonald’s wants to get people in the store. Once a
>> day, once a week, once a month, the more the better, of course, but
>> routinely. And if you buy oatmeal, they’re o.k. with that. But they
>> know that, once inside, you’ll probably opt for a sausage biscuit
>> anyway.
>>
>> And you won’t be much worse off. "
>>

> One of the better (nutritionally) breakfasts at McD's is the Egg
> McMuffin. That's what I get when I'm stuck going there for breakfast. BK
> has a sandwich almost just like it on their dollar menu, but I think
> it's made with sausage. The important thing is getting an English muffin
> sandwich and not a biscuit sandwich. That, and not ordering fries or
> hashbrowns with it. ;-)
>
> I usually eat rolled oats raw when I have them for breakfast. Just soak
> them in milk for a few minutes, then stir in a little bit of something
> sugary and crunchy to make it interesting -- like frosted raisin bran.
>
> Steel-cut oats get cooked the night before, then warmed up in the
> morning with dried fruit and a little cream.
>
> -Bob

The two breakfast meals at Mickey Dee's with the least calories are the
Egg Mac and the sausage burrito (just one). They're each 350 calories
with the majority of that being fat. I eat at the local spot one or two
times a week with the ROMEO's, Retired Old Men Eating Out. All veterans,
all retired from the oil patch like me, and all running from about 70 to
near 90. Good crew, we have solved all the problems of the world several
times now but no one listens.

Generally at home I either eat a whole what bagel with some whipped
cream cheese, or a bowl of oatmeal with cinnamon and skim milk plus a
shot of Splenda. Sunday mornings I usually make a hash brown, fake egg,
bacon or sausage, sweet chiles and onions, fritata for DW and I. If not
it is just scrambled fake eggs with toast.