Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How any flours do you stock?

On Dec 29, 1:51*pm, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
> I managed fine on a bag of all purpose for years. *
>
> *Then someone talked me into using bread flour for my rolls and
> loaves. * * Yup-- even I could see the difference.
>
> I use whole wheat or oat flours as an additive sometimes.
>
> And now I have a bag of pastry flour that I bought for a recipe I
> can't find. *[would that help a pie crust if I decide to give that
> adventure another go-round?]
>
> I had another [Melomakarona cookie] recipe that called for semolina. I
> couldn't find it, but read that farina could be substituted. * When I
> got to the cupboard, I only had a cup of farina-- but there was a box
> of grits sitting there, so I used them. * The recipe now reads; 1 cup
> semolina/farina, and 1 cup grits. *[and I might change that to 2 cups
> grits next time I make these cookies-- everyone likes the texture
> surprise]
>
> I don't bake a cake every year, even- so I never bothered with cake
> flour. * *Does it improve a cake much?
>
> What special flours do the rest of you insist on using? * * *
>
> Jim

I usually have on hand: all-purpose, whole-wheat and cake flours.
Sometimes have bread flour.

Kris

King Arthur Flours - Special Bread Flour vs. All-Purpose [email protected] Baking 0 21-05-2016 08:14 AM
Pizza flours Chet General Cooking 10 11-03-2010 06:39 PM
Premium flours? ? ? Ray[_7_] Sourdough 11 17-12-2009 11:41 PM
choice of flours to thicken after cooking john royce General Cooking 18 23-07-2009 11:55 PM
Gluten-free flours Rachel Baking 2 20-01-2005 11:37 PM