Rachel

Default Gluten-free flours

Chris,
I have the same condition as your stepfather, only it is more commonly
referred to as Celiac Disease, or Celiac Sprue. It is an autoimmune
disease that is life long, but is treated with a gluten-free diet.
Gluten is actually found not only in wheat, but also barley, rye, and
oats. Damage to the small intestent is caused when gluten is digested,
but the body repairs this damage naturally if gluten is avoided.

Anyway, there is a great store located out of Milwaukee,WI called the
Gluten Free Trading Company. They sell products from all over the world
that are 100% gluten free. This includes wonderful pastas, bread mixes,
canned soups, salad dressings, etc. They also sell flour blends made
from alternative grains that are a one to one substitute for wheat
flour. They taste good and can be used for anything without altering
the texture too much. The web address is www.gluten-free.net. Some of
the mixes work ok with bread machines, but you may have to putz around
with the settings and programs a bit. Also, when using gluten-free
flours it helps to add Xanthum or Guar Gum as these are substitutes for
gluten that provide the elasticity needed for bread. Hope this helps.

Rachel

Chris Zwilling wrote:
> Enkidu ) wrote:
> : In article <01bc3ee9$8445cbc0$0665d726@birdcage>, "Paula Mader"
> : > wrote:
> :
> : > I have a friend who just got a bread machine but is allergic to

wheat.
> <snip>
> :
> : It's not just a bread machine problem. . . _all_ bread makes use of
> : gluten, which is the protein that allows it to trap yeast's castoff

CO2.
> : Gluten is by definition a wheat product, and even the pure ("vital)

gluten
> : you can buy in some places is obtained from wheat. You might ask

your
> : friend to try and drag out of hir doctor the specifics of the

allergy -
> : although I have no basis for believing such a condition exists, it

might
> <snip again>
>
> My stepfather has a similar condition called "Tropical Sprue". It

isn't
> an allergy, it's a disease (untreatable). If he has too much gluten,

he
> gets diariaah (you know what) really bad - it could literally kill

him.

> Anyway, rice flour does work - but it is a pain to work with. Things

do
> not have the consistancy or flavor that regular good old wheat

does... I
> guess the most tragic thing about the whole thing is that he is
> Italian...DOH!
>
> ;-----------------------------------------;
> ; ; Chris Zwilling
> ; This space left intentionally blank. ;
> ; --IBM manuals ; System Administrator
> ; ; 320.240.8243
> ;-----------------------------------------;

Cindy Fuller

In article .com>,
"Rachel" > wrote:

> Chris,
> I have the same condition as your stepfather, only it is more commonly
> referred to as Celiac Disease, or Celiac Sprue. It is an autoimmune
> disease that is life long, but is treated with a gluten-free diet.
> Gluten is actually found not only in wheat, but also barley, rye, and
> oats. Damage to the small intestent is caused when gluten is digested,
> but the body repairs this damage naturally if gluten is avoided.
>
> Anyway, there is a great store located out of Milwaukee,WI called the
> Gluten Free Trading Company. They sell products from all over the world
> that are 100% gluten free. This includes wonderful pastas, bread mixes,
> canned soups, salad dressings, etc. They also sell flour blends made
> from alternative grains that are a one to one substitute for wheat
> flour. They taste good and can be used for anything without altering
> the texture too much. The web address is www.gluten-free.net. Some of
> the mixes work ok with bread machines, but you may have to putz around
> with the settings and programs a bit. Also, when using gluten-free
> flours it helps to add Xanthum or Guar Gum as these are substitutes for
> gluten that provide the elasticity needed for bread. Hope this helps.
>
> Rachel
>

> Chris Zwilling wrote:
> > Enkidu ) wrote:
> > : In article <01bc3ee9$8445cbc0$0665d726@birdcage>, "Paula Mader"
> > : > wrote:
> > :
> > : > I have a friend who just got a bread machine but is allergic to

> wheat.
> > <snip>
> > :
> > : It's not just a bread machine problem. . . _all_ bread makes use of
> > : gluten, which is the protein that allows it to trap yeast's castoff

> CO2.
> > : Gluten is by definition a wheat product, and even the pure ("vital)

> gluten
> > : you can buy in some places is obtained from wheat. You might ask

> your
> > : friend to try and drag out of hir doctor the specifics of the

> allergy -
> > : although I have no basis for believing such a condition exists, it

> might
> > <snip again>
> >
> > My stepfather has a similar condition called "Tropical Sprue". It

> isn't
> > an allergy, it's a disease (untreatable). If he has too much gluten,

> he
> > gets diariaah (you know what) really bad - it could literally kill

> him.
> >
> > Anyway, rice flour does work - but it is a pain to work with. Things

> do
> > not have the consistancy or flavor that regular good old wheat

> does... I
> > guess the most tragic thing about the whole thing is that he is
> > Italian...DOH!

Bob's Red Mill (Oregon-based company) also makes a bunch of gluten-free
flours. IIRC, they also have a few gluten-free bread mixes that can be
used in bread machines.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Scott

In article .com>,
"Rachel" > wrote:

> I have the same condition as your stepfather, only it is more commonly
> referred to as Celiac Disease, or Celiac Sprue. It is an autoimmune
> disease that is life long, but is treated with a gluten-free diet.
> Gluten is actually found not only in wheat, but also barley, rye, and
> oats. Damage to the small intestent is caused when gluten is digested,
> but the body repairs this damage naturally if gluten is avoided.

My understanding of the issue with oats is not their own gluten content,
but cross-contamination with wheat crops.

<http://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p...&sid=91hH9H1EK

<http://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p...&sid=91hH9H1EK

<http://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p...&sid=91hH9H1EK

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>