Old 29-12-2010, 06:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How any flours do you stock?

I managed fine on a bag of all purpose for years.

Then someone talked me into using bread flour for my rolls and
loaves. Yup-- even I could see the difference.

I use whole wheat or oat flours as an additive sometimes.

And now I have a bag of pastry flour that I bought for a recipe I
can't find. [would that help a pie crust if I decide to give that
adventure another go-round?]

I had another [Melomakarona cookie] recipe that called for semolina. I
couldn't find it, but read that farina could be substituted. When I
got to the cupboard, I only had a cup of farina-- but there was a box
of grits sitting there, so I used them. The recipe now reads; 1 cup
semolina/farina, and 1 cup grits. [and I might change that to 2 cups
grits next time I make these cookies-- everyone likes the texture
surprise]

I don't bake a cake every year, even- so I never bothered with cake
flour. Does it improve a cake much?

What special flours do the rest of you insist on using?

Jim

Old 29-12-2010, 06:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/29/2010 1:51 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
[...]

I have, right now, bread flour, all purpose flour and whole wheat flour.
I have cornmeal and diastatic malt powder, though those don't count.

--
Currently Reading: Falling Free by Lois McMaster Bujold
Old 29-12-2010, 07:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
[...]

For current needs, all purpose, Wondra (sp?), and some fine ground corn
meal. A little arrowroot now and again for thickening.

It all depends. If you are baking, there are lots and lots of different
types. And even if you only bake a little, one could easily have half a
dozen for the properly supplied kitchen.

Steve

Old 29-12-2010, 07:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 13:51:25 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

[...]

Well, I am a lunatic bread baker, in addition to taking a run at
cookies, cakes and pastries with some frequency, so here goes:

King Arthur AP
Hecker's AP
KA Artisan
KA First Clear
KA Sir Galahad
KA Pastry Four
White Lily Self Rising
2 or 3 types of rye - medium to pumpernickel Bob's or Hodgeson's
2 kinds of whole wheat - regular & white Ka or some other organic
Several semolina flours
Spelt
Barley
Corn meal - fine and coarse

Oh, there must be more, I am sure. I store almost all of it in the
upright freezer.

And then there are all the grains for mixing in or grinding.

Boron

Old 29-12-2010, 07:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 29, 12:51*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
I managed fine on a bag of all purpose for years. *

Cheap all purpose. King Arthur Whole Wheat. Swan's Down.

*Then someone talked me into using bread flour for my rolls and
loaves. * * Yup-- even I could see the difference.

No bread flour at the present time.

I don't bake a cake every year, even- so I never bothered with cake
flour. * *Does it improve a cake much?

Yes.

Jim

--Bryan

Old 29-12-2010, 07:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

King Arthur white for bread.
El Cheapo all purpose white for other stuff.
KA Whole Wheat
Rye
Whole wheat pastry

Also always have on hand diastatic malt powder, yeast and gluten.
Old 29-12-2010, 07:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 29, 1:51*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
[...]

I usually have on hand: all-purpose, whole-wheat and cake flours.
Sometimes have bread flour.

Kris
Old 29-12-2010, 07:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 29, 2:11*pm, Bryan wrote:
On Dec 29, 12:51*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I managed fine on a bag of all purpose for years. *

Cheap all purpose. *King Arthur Whole Wheat. *Swan's Down.

*Then someone talked me into using bread flour for my rolls and
loaves. * * Yup-- even I could see the difference.

No bread flour at the present time.

I don't bake a cake every year, even- so I never bothered with cake
flour. * *Does it improve a cake much?

Yes.

I make my own bread flour - 1 C KA white to 1 T. gluten. I have never
costed it out, but it saves on storage space and one less thing to
watch for depletion.
Old 29-12-2010, 07:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 29, 1:41*pm, Kalmia wrote:
On Dec 29, 2:11*pm, Bryan wrote:

On Dec 29, 12:51*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I managed fine on a bag of all purpose for years. *

Cheap all purpose. *King Arthur Whole Wheat. *Swan's Down.

*Then someone talked me into using bread flour for my rolls and
loaves. * * Yup-- even I could see the difference.

No bread flour at the present time.

I don't bake a cake every year, even- so I never bothered with cake
flour. * *Does it improve a cake much?

Yes.

I make my own bread flour - 1 C KA white to 1 T. gluten. *I have never
costed it out, but it saves on storage space and one less thing to
watch for depletion.

That way you can even add more gluten for things like bagels or pizza
crust.

--Bryan
Old 29-12-2010, 08:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

[...]

AP unbleached
Bread flour
Whole wheat
Rye
corn
(the last three are used together for Boston Brown Bread)

Old 29-12-2010, 09:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 13:57:11 -0500, ravenlynne
wrote:

Dear, now you gone to meddlin'.

OK: AP, Semolina, Bread Flour, Rye, W/W. W/W blend ( soon outa' here)

With these I can do what ever I want to do, for now.

Alex
Old 29-12-2010, 09:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Dec 29, 10:51*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

What special flours do the rest of you insist on using? *

Bread Flour
Oat Flour
Whole Wheat Flour
White Whole Wheat Flour
Semolina Flour
Corn flour
VWG

prolly something else but I can't think of it right now.* *
Old 29-12-2010, 09:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

What special flours do the rest of you insist on using?

Jim

I keep cake flour on hand for my brownies and I keep bread flour on hand
for bread. Sometimes I have whole wheat flour, sometimes I don't. When
I bake bread, I use either all-purpose flour or a mixture of bread flour
and a-p flour. FWIW.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
Old 29-12-2010, 10:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

What special flours do the rest of you insist on using?

Being wheat intolerant but not gluten intolerant my list has a lot that
does not overlap.

Always white corn meal, yellow corn meal. Usually rice flour.
Sometimes rye flour or quinoa flour or soy flour. Rarely almond flour
or other nut flour. I've only purchased barley flour once.

Might or might not be considered flours - Corn starch, arrowroot.
Sometimes rice starch or potato starch.

There was a comedy movie (Tax Man?) with Will Ferrel. A tax auditor
falls in love with a baker. One day he brings in 20+ pounds of bags.
"I brought you flours". Each bag was marked with a different grain or
grind.
Old 29-12-2010, 11:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

What special flours do the rest of you insist on using?

Well if I didn't "insist" I'd either be spending a fortune on pre-made
stuff or getting really, really sick. So I keep stocks of:

Red sorghum
Brown rice
White rice
Chickpea
Potato
Tapioca
Millet
Cornstarch
Fine cornmeal

And we keep a bag of white wheat flour around the place for the
wheat-eaters.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

King Arthur Flours - Special Bread Flour vs. All-Purpose [email protected] Baking 0 21-05-2016 08:14 AM
Pizza flours Chet General Cooking 10 11-03-2010 06:39 PM
Premium flours? ? ? Ray[_7_] Sourdough 11 17-12-2009 11:41 PM
choice of flours to thicken after cooking john royce General Cooking 18 23-07-2009 11:55 PM
Gluten-free flours Rachel Baking 2 20-01-2005 11:37 PM