Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default How any flours do you stock?

I managed fine on a bag of all purpose for years.

Then someone talked me into using bread flour for my rolls and
loaves. Yup-- even I could see the difference.

I use whole wheat or oat flours as an additive sometimes.

And now I have a bag of pastry flour that I bought for a recipe I
can't find. [would that help a pie crust if I decide to give that
adventure another go-round?]

I had another [Melomakarona cookie] recipe that called for semolina. I
couldn't find it, but read that farina could be substituted. When I
got to the cupboard, I only had a cup of farina-- but there was a box
of grits sitting there, so I used them. The recipe now reads; 1 cup
semolina/farina, and 1 cup grits. [and I might change that to 2 cups
grits next time I make these cookies-- everyone likes the texture
surprise]

I don't bake a cake every year, even- so I never bothered with cake
flour. Does it improve a cake much?

What special flours do the rest of you insist on using?

Jim