Old 03-05-2009, 06:36 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What Exactly is 'Kosher Salt' ?, As Opposed to Normal Salt?...

The only thing I can think that it must be like is a 'Flaky' salt..But to
buy salt flakes here is expensive.

I see 'Kosher Salt' used in many cases in a lot of recipes, and used in
quantities as well!

Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

Old 03-05-2009, 07:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bigbazza" wrote in message
The only thing I can think that it must be like is a 'Flaky' salt..But to
buy salt flakes here is expensive.

I see 'Kosher Salt' used in many cases in a lot of recipes, and used in
quantities as well!

Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

It's the size of the salt flakes. Technically, all salt is "kosher".

Jill

Old 03-05-2009, 07:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.mortonsalt.com/ There is a conversion guide on the site also.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 3, 2:12*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
It's the size of the salt flakes. *Technically, all salt is "kosher".

Jill

As I understand it, the salt itself isn't kosher. "Kosher" refers to
the fact that it is the kind of salt used in making kosher food. (But
this is coming from an Episcopalean, so you might take it with a grain
of...)

Leo
Old 03-05-2009, 01:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 May 2009 02:12:04 -0400, "jmcquown"
wrote:

Technically, all salt is "kosher".

Your rabbi will disagree vehemently with that statement.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Technically, all salt is "kosher".

Your rabbi will disagree vehemently with that statement.

Since I don't have a Rabbi, I can't argue with your sentiment. I'm simply
regurgitating what Sheldon has stated here for years. Sue me

Jill

Old 03-05-2009, 03:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Technically, all salt is "kosher".

Your rabbi will disagree vehemently with that statement.

it is parve, since it is neither meat nor dairy.

blake
Old 03-05-2009, 03:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Technically, all salt is "kosher".

Your rabbi will disagree vehemently with that statement.

Since I don't have a Rabbi, I can't argue with your sentiment. I'm simply
regurgitating what Sheldon has stated here for years. Sue me

Jill

I do know that all salt CAN be kosher. I'm not sure of the actual process to
be able to put that on the label. Maybe the Rabbi has to check out the
factory and collect his paycheck.

Kosher salt is actually Koshering salt used to make meats kosher by drawing
out the blood.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Technically, all salt is "kosher".

Your rabbi will disagree vehemently with that statement.

it is parve, since it is neither meat nor dairy.

I think "kosher salt" is really *kosherizing salt*, adapted to removing
blood from the surface of meat as Jewish Kasruth religious rules
require. I have heard people maintain that it is "pure" unadulterated
salt but Morton's Kosher salt has anticaking agents.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 03-05-2009, 04:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bigbazza" wrote in message
The only thing I can think that it must be like is a 'Flaky' salt..But to
buy salt flakes here is expensive.

I see 'Kosher Salt' used in many cases in a lot of recipes, and used in
quantities as well!

Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

They have a Rabi reduce the size of the crystals.

Dimitri

Old 03-05-2009, 04:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

wrote:

Technically, all salt is "kosher".

Your rabbi will disagree vehemently with that statement.

Since I don't have a Rabbi, I can't argue with your sentiment. I'm
simply regurgitating what Sheldon has stated here for years. Sue me

Jill

I do know that all salt CAN be kosher. I'm not sure of the actual process
to be able to put that on the label. Maybe the Rabbi has to check out the
factory and collect his paycheck.

Kosher salt is actually Koshering salt used to make meats kosher by
drawing out the blood.

But doesn't all salt draw out the blood? I'm pretty sure that's why
cookbooks tell you not to salt a hamburger or steak (for example) before
you've browned at least one side of it. Salt draws out the blood, e.g the
moisture.

Jill

Old 03-05-2009, 04:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Technically, all salt is "kosher".

Your rabbi will disagree vehemently with that statement.

Since I don't have a Rabbi, I can't argue with your
sentiment. I'm simply regurgitating what Sheldon has stated
here for years. Sue me

Jill

I do know that all salt CAN be kosher. I'm not sure of the
actual process to be able to put that on the label. Maybe
the Rabbi has to check out the factory and collect his
paycheck.

Kosher salt is actually Koshering salt used to make meats
kosher by drawing out the blood.

But doesn't all salt draw out the blood? I'm pretty sure
that's why cookbooks tell you not to salt a hamburger or steak
(for example) before you've browned at least one side of it. Salt
draws out the blood, e.g the moisture.

I think the large grain size is supposed to be convenient for
kosherizing but I wouldn't know and have never tried either for that
purpose.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 03-05-2009, 04:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message

Kosher salt is actually Koshering salt used to make meats kosher by
drawing out the blood.

But doesn't all salt draw out the blood? I'm pretty sure that's why
cookbooks tell you not to salt a hamburger or steak (for example) before
you've browned at least one side of it. Salt draws out the blood, e.g the
moisture.

Jill

Yes, but the flake of the koshering salt just works more efficiently than
the granule shape of table salt.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 May 2009 15:36:28 +1000, "Bigbazza"
wrote:

The only thing I can think that it must be like is a 'Flaky' salt..But to
buy salt flakes here is expensive.

I see 'Kosher Salt' used in many cases in a lot of recipes, and used in
quantities as well!

Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

it's been blessed by the Rabbi if I'm not mistaken
Old 03-05-2009, 05:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Technically, all salt is "kosher".

Your rabbi will disagree vehemently with that statement.

Why?

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas