Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sea salt vs. kosher salt.

What do you prefer. Is there any big difference?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 4:17*pm, wrote:
> What do you prefer. Is there any big difference?

Kosher salt is pure sodium chloride, while sea salt contains a number
of trace impurities, depending where it's from. If kosher salt works
for you I'd just use Morton's.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 wrote:
> On Feb 28, 4:17 pm, wrote:
>> What do you prefer. Is there any big difference?

> Kosher salt is pure sodium chloride, while sea salt contains a number
> of trace impurities, depending where it's from. If kosher salt works
> for you I'd just use Morton's.

Impurities sometimes equals pollution. Where is the sea salt from?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Kent" > wrote:

> I think the reference to "trace impurities" refers to "trace minerals".
> Pure salt is NaCl. Highly pure salt is Kosher NaCl[I think, though it
> probably has something to do with the way it's produced].

Regular salt and kosher salt are both purified salt. Kosher salt is
produced in flakes, rather than granules. This makes it more suitable
for its intended purpose, which is koshering.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Kent" > wrote:
>
>> I think the reference to "trace impurities" refers to "trace minerals".
>> Pure salt is NaCl. Highly pure salt is Kosher NaCl[I think, though it
>> probably has something to do with the way it's produced].

> Regular salt and kosher salt are both purified salt. Kosher salt is
> produced in flakes, rather than granules. This makes it more suitable
> for its intended purpose, which is koshering.
>
> --
> Dan Abel
> Petaluma, California USA

It tastes different. I think there must be something in there other than
NaCl.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 2:57*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 03:23:37 -0500, TFM wrote:
> > On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 22:11:36 -0600, Omelet wrote:

> >> Kent, SW is a heavy smoker (I know him in person) so he's incapable of
> >> tasting the difference between salts.

> Heavy smoker? *There Kathleen goes again implying that she knows me.
> I smoke less than a pack of cigarettes a week, and have posted that
> fact here several times over the last year or two. *I inhale more
> exhaust from cars than I do cigarette smoke, you dumb bitch. *And I
> still have far more taste than you.

But she has such refined tastes in violin music. Electric violin
doing a rock music version of a Beethoven *tune* in a shopping mall is
like totally "awe inspiring," dude.

> -sw

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 6:01*pm, "BigBadBubbas" > wrote:
> spamtrap1888 wrote:
> > On Feb 28, 4:17 pm, wrote:
> >> What do you prefer. Is there any big difference?

> > Kosher salt is pure sodium chloride, while sea salt contains a number
> > of trace impurities, depending where it's from. If kosher salt works
> > for you I'd just use Morton's.

> Impurities sometimes equals pollution. *Where is the sea salt from?

It should say on the box.

One of the big industries in the South Bay was production of salt by
evaporating sea water. Most of the impurities were washed out of the
salt as part of the manufacturing process, but brines produced with
the salt were cloudy, not clear.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> ... I
> rather doubt that sea salt gives a stronger salty taste than standard
> salt ...

I wonder if most products are so heavily salted they say it has sea salt
so they can use less and most folks just accept the claim without being
able to tell?

> For myself, I use standard iodized salt for most purposes tho I sprinkle
> Kosher salt on vegetables before grilling and use it as bed for high
> temperature baked salmon (500F) because of its large particle size.

We use Lite Salt at the table. 50-50 potassium and sodium salt. It
partially makes up for the large amount of all sodium salt we get while
eating out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> I've seen evaporating ponds in Hawaii and, even if the liquid and salt
> are colored, they just seem to be incorporating local powdered rock. I
> guess that constitutes minerals.

Pure dried seawater contains several salts
which are removed when making pure sodium
chloride, such as salts of potassium and bromine.
They contribute flavors generally described
as "metallic" or "off-flavor".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote about Sycophant:

> she has such refined tastes in violin music. Electric violin doing a rock
> music version of a Beethoven *tune* in a shopping mall is like totally
> "awe inspiring," dude.

That's why she thinks Orlando has such a "beautiful soul". And why she
engages in the rather nauseating mating display with Pussy and Swallows.

Bob

What Exactly is 'Kosher Salt' ?, As Opposed to Normal Salt?... Bigbazza[_20_] General Cooking 109 09-05-2009 01:32 AM
Hopefully last word on Kosher Salt (difference between Sea Salt and Kosher) [email protected] General Cooking 17 05-05-2009 12:51 PM
Kosher Salt General Cooking 42 21-02-2005 07:20 PM
Kosher salt? David Hare-Scott General Cooking 19 09-03-2004 07:47 AM
Kosher Salt vs. Table Salt Rubystars General Cooking 32 22-10-2003 11:00 PM