Rubystars

Default Kosher Salt vs. Table Salt

I found a recipe that I really want to try and it calls for kosher
salt. I was wondering if there was a way to use regular table salt.

I was hoping that someone could tell me how to do a conversion, since
kosher salt is supposed to be "less salty."

The original recipe calls for 1 and 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt. Is it
possible to maybe just use 1 tablespoon regular salt, or should I not
even bother and just get kosher salt?

I really don't want to have to buy things I don't necessarily need to,
but I want the recipe to turn out right.

-Wendy
Reg

Rubystars wrote:
> I found a recipe that I really want to try and it calls for kosher
> salt. I was wondering if there was a way to use regular table salt.
>
> I was hoping that someone could tell me how to do a conversion, since
> kosher salt is supposed to be "less salty."
>
> The original recipe calls for 1 and 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt. Is it
> possible to maybe just use 1 tablespoon regular salt, or should I not
> even bother and just get kosher salt?
>
> I really don't want to have to buy things I don't necessarily need to,
> but I want the recipe to turn out right.

You'll see much erroneous info on salt conversion. The best way to
convert is to use the same amount BY WEIGHT.

If you can't do that (don't have a scale etc), here's a pretty close
conversion factor:

kosher -> table - subtract 20%
table -> kosher - add 20%

Reg

Reg wrote:

> kosher -> table - subtract 20%
> table -> kosher - add 20%

Sorry that's reversed. Actually it's:

kosher -> table - add 20%
table -> kosher - subtract 20%

levelwave

Reg wrote:

> Reg wrote:
>
>> kosher -> table - subtract 20%
>> table -> kosher - add 20%
>>

> Sorry that's reversed. Actually it's:
>
> kosher -> table - add 20%
> table -> kosher - subtract 20%

You're almost right either way - depending on which you're "adding" to
or "subracting" from...

What's the conversion for table salt to kosher salt?

If you want to use kosher salt for table salt, multiply the
table salt quantity by 1.5.

1 teaspoon table salt = 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoon table salt = 2 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons table salt = 3 teaspoons kosher salt

If you want to use table salt for kosher salt, multiply the
kosher salt quantity by 2/3

1 teaspoon kosher salt = 2/3 teaspoon table salt
1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt = 1 teaspoon table salt
2 teaspoon kosher salt = 1 1/3 teaspoon table salt

http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/FAQ/FAQ400s.htm

~john!

--
What was it like to see - the face of your own stability - suddenly look
away...

Robert Klute

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 19:06:15 GMT, Reg > wrote:

>Reg wrote:
>
>> kosher -> table - subtract 20%
>> table -> kosher - add 20%
>>

>Sorry that's reversed. Actually it's:
>
>kosher -> table - add 20%
>table -> kosher - subtract 20%

It depends on the brand of kosher salt. Which is a pain when you are
trying to go from kosher to regular. Diamond is usually 2 to 1. Morton
is closer to 20%. On one of the FAQs they list the weights of a cup of
salt as table - 10oz, Morton - 7.7 oz, Diamond - 5 oz.

Reg

levelwave wrote:

> You're almost right either way - depending on which you're "adding" to
> or "subracting" from...

So you take Alton Brown's word as gospel, eh? You could do worse I guess.
He does have at least some credibility compared to other chefs.

Here's how my figures were arrived at, measuring with a salometer (which
works better than reading from a celebrity chef's webpage)

Measurements
============

All measurements at 60 deg F

1/4 C Morton non iodized salt = 72 grams = 2.54 oz
dissolved in 4 C water (i.e. 1 C salt / gallon water proportion)
measures 27 on salometer
which is 7.127 % sodium chloride solution by weight
which is 0.639 lbs salt / gallon

1/4 C Morton kosher salt = 56 grams = 1.98 oz
dissolved in 4 C water (i.e. 1 C salt / gallon water proportion)
measures 21 on salometer
which is 5.543 % sodium chloride solution by weight
which is 0.536 lbs salt / gallon

Conclusions
===========

To Convert Table -> Kosher
multiply by 0.84

To Convert Kosher -> Table
multiply by 1.19

As you can see, to use kosher salt for table salt you multiply by
about 1.2, not 1.5 as you say. So you're "almost right".

Peter Aitken

"Reg" > wrote in message

> Reg wrote:
>
> > kosher -> table - subtract 20%
> > table -> kosher - add 20%
> >

> Sorry that's reversed. Actually it's:
>
> kosher -> table - add 20%
> table -> kosher - subtract 20%
>
> --
> Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot) com

Either way you have expressed it in a confusing manner. If the recipe calls
for kosher salt, use 20% less table salt. If the recipe calls for table
salt, use 20% more kosher salt. By volume, of course.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"levelwave" > wrote in message
> Reg wrote:
> >

> > Reg wrote:
> >
> >> kosher -> table - subtract 20%
> >> table -> kosher - add 20%
> >>

> > Sorry that's reversed. Actually it's:
> >
> > kosher -> table - add 20%
> > table -> kosher - subtract 20%

> You're almost right either way - depending on which you're "adding" to
> or "subracting" from...
>
> What's the conversion for table salt to kosher salt?
>
> If you want to use kosher salt for table salt, multiply the
> table salt quantity by 1.5.
>
> 1 teaspoon table salt = 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
> 1 1/2 teaspoon table salt = 2 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
> 2 teaspoons table salt = 3 teaspoons kosher salt
>
> If you want to use table salt for kosher salt, multiply the
> kosher salt quantity by 2/3
>
> 1 teaspoon kosher salt = 2/3 teaspoon table salt
> 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt = 1 teaspoon table salt
> 2 teaspoon kosher salt = 1 1/3 teaspoon table salt
>
> http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/FAQ/FAQ400s.htm
>
> ~john!

Unfortunately these precise conversions are meaningless because there are
different brands of kosher salt with different grain size. I believe your
numbers are close for Morton's but will be off for other brands. Best to put
in less than you think is needed and taste.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"Reg" > wrote in message
. ..
> levelwave wrote:
>
> > You're almost right either way - depending on which you're "adding" to
> > or "subracting" from...

> So you take Alton Brown's word as gospel, eh? You could do worse I guess.
> He does have at least some credibility compared to other chefs.
>
> Here's how my figures were arrived at, measuring with a salometer (which
> works better than reading from a celebrity chef's webpage)
>
> Measurements
> ============
>
> All measurements at 60 deg F
>
> 1/4 C Morton non iodized salt = 72 grams = 2.54 oz
> dissolved in 4 C water (i.e. 1 C salt / gallon water proportion)
> measures 27 on salometer
> which is 7.127 % sodium chloride solution by weight
> which is 0.639 lbs salt / gallon
>
> 1/4 C Morton kosher salt = 56 grams = 1.98 oz
> dissolved in 4 C water (i.e. 1 C salt / gallon water proportion)
> measures 21 on salometer
> which is 5.543 % sodium chloride solution by weight
> which is 0.536 lbs salt / gallon
>
> Conclusions
> ===========
>
> To Convert Table -> Kosher
> multiply by 0.84
>
> To Convert Kosher -> Table
> multiply by 1.19

I agree with your conclusions but using the salometer (whatever that is!)
was totally unnececssary. All you needed was the weights.

--
Peter Aitken

Reg

Peter Aitken wrote:

> Unfortunately these precise conversions are meaningless because there are
> different brands of kosher salt with different grain size. I believe your
> numbers are close for Morton's but will be off for other brands. Best to put
> in less than you think is needed and taste.

Not meaningless, no. But inferior to using weight instead of volume,
which is why I recommended using weight.

Reg

Frogleg wrote:

> Regular 'table salt' is small-grained and has anti-caking agents and
> usually iodine added. Kosher salt is large-grained and has no
> additives. 1 for 1 substitution is fine.

The additives in salt are in trace amounts, on the order of 0.01. If
you feel the need to change 1.19 to 1.18 or 1.20, feel free.

levelwave

Reg wrote:

> As you can see, to use kosher salt for table salt you multiply by
> about 1.2, not 1.5 as you say. So you're "almost right".

So I take it your assumptions are based on the fact that the OP is using
the Morton brand of Kosher Salt?... If you're correct (which he never
revealed which brand he was using) then yes - you were "right"... but
until he confirms that fact... you sir, were "almost right"...

~john!

--
What was it like to see - the face of your own stability - suddenly look
away...

PENMART01

In article >, Frogleg
> writes:

> Kosher salt is large-grained and has no additives.

Depending on brand Kosher Salt does indeed contain anti-clumping additives.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Reg

levelwave wrote:

> So I take it your assumptions are based on the fact that the OP is using
> the Morton brand of Kosher Salt?... If you're correct (which he never
> revealed which brand he was using) then yes - you were "right"... but
> until he confirms that fact... you sir, were "almost right"...

Actually I tested a range of brands and the figures came out pretty much
the same. If you have any measurements that support your (I mean Alton's)
figures, I'd like to see them.

Bob Pastorio

Frogleg wrote:

> On 18 Oct 2003 11:57:59 -0700, (Rubystars)
> wrote:
>

>>I found a recipe that I really want to try and it calls for kosher
>>salt. I was wondering if there was a way to use regular table salt.
>>
>>I was hoping that someone could tell me how to do a conversion, since
>>kosher salt is supposed to be "less salty."
>>
>>The original recipe calls for 1 and 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt. Is it
>>possible to maybe just use 1 tablespoon regular salt, or should I not
>>even bother and just get kosher salt?

> Regular 'table salt' is small-grained and has anti-caking agents and
> usually iodine added. Kosher salt is large-grained and has no
> additives. 1 for 1 substitution is fine.

Couple things: Kosher salt sometimes does have other ingredients,
depending on the brand. Substituting 1 for 1 means you'll get less
kosher salt than table salt because of the grain size. The small
grains pack together more tightly, so a tablespoon of table salt will
be heavier than a tablespoon of kosher salt and, therefore, will
contain more salt.

Pastorio

>>I really don't want to have to buy things I don't necessarily need to,
>>but I want the recipe to turn out right.

> Kosher salt isn't particularly expensive, and is favored for its
> controllability -- that is, a 'pinch' is a pinch, and not a bunch of
> stuff sticking to your fingers. Aside from freely flowing out of a
> salt shaker, and in my climate I *still* have to keep rice in the
> shaker to keep it from glomming together, there's no reason to prefer
> table salt for any use. Kosher also is good for a bread or roll
> topping.

Frogleg

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 15:42:49 -0400, levelwave >
wrote:

>What's the conversion for table salt to kosher salt?
>
> If you want to use kosher salt for table salt, multiply the
> table salt quantity by 1.5.
>
> 1 teaspoon table salt = 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
> 1 1/2 teaspoon table salt = 2 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
> 2 teaspoons table salt = 3 teaspoons kosher salt
>
> If you want to use table salt for kosher salt, multiply the
> kosher salt quantity by 2/3
>
> 1 teaspoon kosher salt = 2/3 teaspoon table salt
> 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt = 1 teaspoon table salt
> 2 teaspoon kosher salt = 1 1/3 teaspoon table salt
>
>http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/FAQ/FAQ400s.htm

This is a nifty site, but I'm not sure about the conversions. It
*must* be based on volume, as weight-for-weight, the anti-caking agent
in table salt couldn't be a significant ingredient.
Frogleg

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 20:40:59 GMT, Reg > wrote:

>Frogleg wrote:
>
>> Regular 'table salt' is small-grained and has anti-caking agents and
>> usually iodine added. Kosher salt is large-grained and has no
>> additives. 1 for 1 substitution is fine.

>The additives in salt are in trace amounts, on the order of 0.01. If
>you feel the need to change 1.19 to 1.18 or 1.20, feel free.

I bow to your scientific approach to the matter. I was thinking that
"salt is salt," and that it wouldn't make much difference in a recipe
It's this wretched weight/volume measure confusion we live with. An
ounce of salt is an ounce of salt by weight, but not necessarily by
volume. Since we rarely *measure* by weight, then a volume
correction/conversion is in order. Weird, no? I mean we *buy* 5lb
(weight) of sugar and flour, but we *use* cups (volume) in cooking.
Oil comes in volumes (quart, 1pt 12oz), but butter as weight (1lb).
Reg

Frogleg wrote:

> I bow to your scientific approach to the matter. I was thinking that
> "salt is salt," and that it wouldn't make much difference in a recipe
> It's this wretched weight/volume measure confusion we live with. An
> ounce of salt is an ounce of salt by weight, but not necessarily by
> volume. Since we rarely *measure* by weight, then a volume
> correction/conversion is in order. Weird, no? I mean we *buy* 5lb
> (weight) of sugar and flour, but we *use* cups (volume) in cooking.
> Oil comes in volumes (quart, 1pt 12oz), but butter as weight (1lb).

When making large batches I always use weight, but it's not very
convenient or practical in small smounts sometimes. So
I wanted to get a good idea of how to accurately measure it
using volume, and I knew most of the conversion figures I saw
for salt were wrong simply by tasting. There is an oft repeated
figure going around bbq circles, published in major cookbooks, etc,
that says that to use kosher in place of regular you use twice
as much. Great way to ruin your food!

Hahabogus

Reg > wrote in
. com:

> There is an oft repeated
> figure going around bbq circles, published in major cookbooks, etc,
> that says that to use kosher in place of regular you use twice
> as much. Great way to ruin your food!
>
> --

By volume Kosher salt (larger grains) has less weight per tsp than table
salt (smaller grains), but there are many styles of kosher salt, medium
grain, large grain and flaked. So a set rule wouldn't apply.
PENMART01

Hahabogus > writes:

>Reg > wrote in
.com:

>> There is an oft repeated
>> figure going around bbq circles, published in major cookbooks, etc,
>> that says that to use kosher in place of regular you use twice
>> as much. Great way to ruin your food!
>>
>> --
>>

>By volume Kosher salt (larger grains) has less weight per tsp than table
>salt (smaller grains), but there are many styles of kosher salt, medium
>grain, large grain and flaked. So a set rule wouldn't apply.

This is true... but with most recipes even a half assed cook should never need
to measure salt other than by eye/hand, regardless which type. Why doesn't the
OP state the recipe, eh? The last time I actually used a measuring spoon for
salt (and it's been many years since the last time) was with my recent tapioca
pudding, but then I measured all the ingredients, but it was for 10 quarts...
not your typical household pudding quantity... and still I didn't measure the
salt very carefully, I remember it was 4 1/2 tsps, but all I did was hold the
spoon over the pot and pour and flip.... cooking ain't rocket science... BAM!

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

zxcvbob

Rubystars wrote:
> I found a recipe that I really want to try and it calls for kosher
> salt. I was wondering if there was a way to use regular table salt.
>
> I was hoping that someone could tell me how to do a conversion, since
> kosher salt is supposed to be "less salty."
>
> The original recipe calls for 1 and 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt. Is it
> possible to maybe just use 1 tablespoon regular salt, or should I not
> even bother and just get kosher salt?
>
> I really don't want to have to buy things I don't necessarily need to,
> but I want the recipe to turn out right.
>
> -Wendy

I like to use about 1/2 the salt any recipe calls for (except in sausage or
cured meats, where the salt is a critical measurement), and then add more
salt at the end to taste. If you do that, it doesn't make any difference
what kind of salt you use.

Best regards,
Bob

Peter Aitken

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Rubystars wrote:
> > I found a recipe that I really want to try and it calls for kosher
> > salt. I was wondering if there was a way to use regular table salt.
> >
> > I was hoping that someone could tell me how to do a conversion, since
> > kosher salt is supposed to be "less salty."
> >
> > The original recipe calls for 1 and 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt. Is it
> > possible to maybe just use 1 tablespoon regular salt, or should I not
> > even bother and just get kosher salt?
> >
> > I really don't want to have to buy things I don't necessarily need to,
> > but I want the recipe to turn out right.
> >
> > -Wendy

> I like to use about 1/2 the salt any recipe calls for (except in sausage

or
> cured meats, where the salt is a critical measurement), and then add more
> salt at the end to taste. If you do that, it doesn't make any difference
> what kind of salt you use.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

A good idea but not possible with many dishes such as meatload, souffle,
quiche, bread, lasagna, etc. In these cases the right amount of salt has to
go in before the cooking.

--
Peter Aitken

zxcvbob

Peter Aitken wrote:

> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>
>>Rubystars wrote:
>>
>>>I found a recipe that I really want to try and it calls for kosher
>>>salt. I was wondering if there was a way to use regular table salt.
>>>
>>>I was hoping that someone could tell me how to do a conversion, since
>>>kosher salt is supposed to be "less salty."
>>>
>>>The original recipe calls for 1 and 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt. Is it
>>>possible to maybe just use 1 tablespoon regular salt, or should I not
>>>even bother and just get kosher salt?
>>>
>>>I really don't want to have to buy things I don't necessarily need to,
>>>but I want the recipe to turn out right.
>>>
>>>-Wendy

>>I like to use about 1/2 the salt any recipe calls for (except in sausage

> or
>
>>cured meats, where the salt is a critical measurement), and then add more
>>salt at the end to taste. If you do that, it doesn't make any difference
>>what kind of salt you use.
>>
>>Best regards,
>>Bob
>>

> A good idea but not possible with many dishes such as meatload, souffle,
> quiche, bread, lasagna, etc. In these cases the right amount of salt has to
> go in before the cooking.

That's a good point. Perhaps add half the salt, and let folks salt to
taste at the table? (I find that if you leave out *all* the salt when
cooking, for some reason some things can never be seasoned to my taste at
the table)

Bob

Peter Aitken

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Peter Aitken wrote:

> >>I like to use about 1/2 the salt any recipe calls for (except in sausage

> > or
> >
> >>cured meats, where the salt is a critical measurement), and then add

more
> >>salt at the end to taste. If you do that, it doesn't make any

difference
> >>what kind of salt you use.
> >>
> >>Best regards,
> >>Bob
> >>

> > A good idea but not possible with many dishes such as meatload, souffle,
> > quiche, bread, lasagna, etc. In these cases the right amount of salt has

> > go in before the cooking.
> >

> That's a good point. Perhaps add half the salt, and let folks salt to
> taste at the table? (I find that if you leave out *all* the salt when
> cooking, for some reason some things can never be seasoned to my taste at
> the table)
>
> Bob

It's not an easy problem to solve. Some food, including the ones I
mentioned, do not taste as good when needed salt is added at the table as
opposed to be included from the start. It seems to be the difference between
salt on the surface and salt throughout the body of the food.

--
Peter Aitken

Sylvia

Buy the kosher salt. It isn't expensive and is wonderful for things
like crusty breads as well. I use it by preference for anything that
the salt isn't necessarily supposed to dissolve.

--
Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
http://www.SteigerFamily.com

Reg

PENMART01 wrote:

> This is true... but with most recipes even a half assed cook should never need
> to measure salt other than by eye/hand, regardless which type. Why doesn't the
> OP state the recipe, eh? The last time I actually used a measuring spoon for
> salt (and it's been many years since the last time) was with my recent tapioca
> pudding, but then I measured all the ingredients, but it was for 10 quarts...
> not your typical household pudding quantity... and still I didn't measure the
> salt very carefully, I remember it was 4 1/2 tsps, but all I did was hold the
> spoon over the pot and pour and flip.... cooking ain't rocket science... BAM!

For day to day cooking I rarely measure salt.

More precise measurement/conversion of salt becomes important when curing
meats. The curing time can be as long as several weeks. You don't want to wait
three weeks and then find out the salinity was off and your 20 lbs of
product didn't come out right.

Robert Klute

:

>> Buy the kosher salt. It isn't expensive and is wonderful for things
>> like crusty breads as well. I use it by preference for anything that
>> the salt isn't necessarily supposed to dissolve.
>>

>I love kosher salt. For some reason the flavor, after baking, is a milder
>flavor. At least to me. I love it on baked potatoes.

Since kosher salt is less dense than table salt, you are usig less of it
than you think. Kosher salt dissolves more slowly than table salt, so
you tend to get isolated pockets of salt bursts. This also results in
an overall milder flavor as much of what you taste is unsalted.
Barry Grau

Robert Klute > wrote in message >. ..
> On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 19:06:15 GMT, Reg > wrote:
>

> >Reg wrote:
> >
> >> kosher -> table - subtract 20%
> >> table -> kosher - add 20%
> >>

> >Sorry that's reversed. Actually it's:
> >
> >kosher -> table - add 20%
> >table -> kosher - subtract 20%

> It depends on the brand of kosher salt. Which is a pain when you are
> trying to go from kosher to regular. Diamond is usually 2 to 1. Morton
> is closer to 20%. On one of the FAQs they list the weights of a cup of
> salt as table - 10oz, Morton - 7.7 oz, Diamond - 5 oz.

Gee, if Diamond is 2:1 but Morton's is 1.2:1 with regard to table
salt, then converting from Mortons kosher salt to a table salt has to
be easier than switching between diamodn kosher salt and Morton kosher
salt. And, when a recipe calls for kosher salt, how is one to know
which brand?

-bwg

Rubystars

Thanks everyone for the responses.

The particular recipe I tried was the Squash Dumplings off of the Good
Eats show. I screwed up the recipe though, and came out with something
that resembled a mix between warmed over glue and squash bubble gum.
(This almost made me cry, because I love butternut squash and I ruined
one. It wasn't even edible. I gave some to one of my dogs and he spit
it out. I felt like screaming at the gummy mixtu "Give me my squash
back!")

I apologize to Alton Brown for turning what must be a really delicious
recipe into a mess.

Looks like dumplings is too delicate a dish for a beginner like me. I
think I messed up in mashing the potatoes somehow, or not adding the
right amount of flour.

Anyway, undaunted I did try a recipe for butter bean soup off of the
back of a Bush's Butter Bean can. I made one batch of that and it
turned out excellent. The only thing I changed is using canned carrots
instead of freshly chopped carrots. When the first batch turned out
well, I substituted chicken broth for water,and it turned out even
better.

I also baked some apples today with a glaze I concocted from lemon
juice, butter, and brown sugar. Yum yum.

Well anyway I'm going to keep on trying things and see what happens.

I may ask some more questions later on.

-Rubystars