Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default What Exactly is 'Kosher Salt' ?, As Opposed to Normal Salt?...

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> blake wrote on Sun, 03 May 2009 14:19:06 GMT:
>
>>> On Sun, 3 May 2009 02:12:04 -0400, "jmcquown"

>>> Your rabbi will disagree vehemently with that statement.

>> it is parve, since it is neither meat nor dairy.

> I think "kosher salt" is really *kosherizing salt*, adapted to removing
> blood from the surface of meat as Jewish Kasruth religious rules require.
> I have heard people maintain that it is "pure" unadulterated salt but
> Morton's Kosher salt has anticaking agents.

There's no "technically" about it, ALL salt is kosher.

>The correct term is "kashering", "koshering" is not a word, not unless you
>mean circumcision makes your pecker kosher.

All salt is kosher just like sea water is kosher, just like water out of the
tap is kosher, just like the air you breathe is kosher... none are foods...
all food contains salt but salt in of itself is not a food. The trick to
"kosher" is do not try to understand "kosher"... "kosher" has no basis in
science or even in reality, "kosher" is purely mystical... every single
person on the planet now or who has ever been has a different concept of
what "kosher" is to them. The entire Judaic concept is based on that no two
people ever agree totally on anything... as soon as one Jew finds another
Jew who is in total agreement on anything neither is any longer a Jew... the
more Jews are different the more they are the same. In Judaism there are no
facts, there are no absolutes, everything is questioned... sally forth and
learn... go know.