Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What Exactly is 'Kosher Salt' ?, As Opposed to Normal Salt?...

blake wrote on Sun, 03 May 2009 14:19:06 GMT:

>> On Sun, 3 May 2009 02:12:04 -0400, "jmcquown"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Technically, all salt is "kosher".

>> Your rabbi will disagree vehemently with that statement.

> it is parve, since it is neither meat nor dairy.

I think "kosher salt" is really *kosherizing salt*, adapted to removing
blood from the surface of meat as Jewish Kasruth religious rules
require. I have heard people maintain that it is "pure" unadulterated
salt but Morton's Kosher salt has anticaking agents.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland