Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What Exactly is 'Kosher Salt' ?, As Opposed to Normal Salt?...

Mack wrote on Sun, 03 May 2009 11:29:45 -0700:

>> On Sun, 3 May 2009 15:36:28 +1000, "Bigbazza"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> The only thing I can think that it must be like is a 'Flaky'
>>> salt..But to buy salt flakes here is expensive.
>>>
>>> I see 'Kosher Salt' used in many cases in a lot of recipes,
>>> and used in quantities as well!
>>>
>>> Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

>> it's been blessed by the Rabbi if I'm not mistaken

> That's what "kosher" means - blessed by a rabbi and prepared
> according to certain laws.

> No impurities. Kosher salt is raw. The refining process of
> table salt adds impurities; therefore, it cannot be kosher.

But, as I have mentioned, Morton's Kosher Salt is *not* raw :-) It
contains "Yellow Prussiate of Soda (Anti-caking agent)" but is labelled
"Kosher for Passover" and has a Star of David with Hebrew writing on
it. Sodium ferrocyanide is a salt to a chemist but is not sodium
chloride.

I have two major uses for coarse Kosher salt: sprinkling on vegetables
before broiling and for roasting salmon on a bed of salt.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland