Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Moderator needed for rec.food.recipes

Omelet wrote:
> Yahoo group moderation is no big deal. ;-)
> I check them two or a few times per day depending on posts and time
> available.
>
> It's just a matter of approving after a quick glance...

Ah, so you have some experience. That's great!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 00:56:22 +0000 (UTC), PeterL >
> wrote:
>
> >Omelet > wrote in newsmpomelet-C524F7.12532305012009
> :
> >

> >> We'll see it it works out. :-)
> >> Generally, moderation only takes a couple of times per day.

> >Strictly in moderation, of course :-)

> Well, I would check with Patricia about that.
>
> She came to my cook-in (she lives here in ABQ) and we asked her about
> moderating RFR. She said it took several hours per week to do it.
>
> Christine
> --
> http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

Agreed. Years ago I moderated a busy Yahoo group. Took a *lot* of time
to do it properly. Gave up after a year.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." wrote:

> Omelet wrote:

> > Yahoo group moderation is no big deal. ;-)

Lucky for you Depends on the traffic. This was often over 300
messages per day at peak.

> > I check them two or a few times per day depending on posts and time
> > available.
> >
> > It's just a matter of approving after a quick glance...

Took more than a quick glance.

> Ah, so you have some experience. That's great!
>
> --
> Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 19:54:46 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 15:57:09 -0800, Dan Abel wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> Janet Wilder > wrote:

>>> It also receives recipe requests. Many of those requests are supposed to
>>> be in English but are barely readable. I think there is a web site that
>>> plugs into the NG and that's where a lot of the requests come from.

>> As far as I know, every moderated newsgroup works the same. For users
>> like you and I, it works exactly the same as every unmoderated
>> newsgroup. You just post your request or recipe to the group. However,
>> it doesn't go to the group, it goes to the moderator. The moderator
>> then decides whether to let it go to the group or not.

>**** that shit.

The moderator has determined that your post is not appropriate for
this forum. It will be removed and your dog will be boned.
--
modom

ambitious when it comes to fiddling with meat
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London > wrote in :

> "Jean B." wrote:
>>
>> Omelet wrote:

>> > Yahoo group moderation is no big deal. ;-)

> Lucky for you Depends on the traffic. This was often over 300
> messages per day at peak.
>
>> > I check them two or a few times per day depending on posts and time
>> > available.
>> >
>> > It's just a matter of approving after a quick glance...

> Took more than a quick glance.

rec.food.recipes only posts recipes..... and every couple of days (IIRC)
the moderator posts REQUESTS for recipies.

A *very* quick glance would be able to distinguish either.

IIARC, the requets had to be 'formatted' in a particular way.

Just had a quick look. 79 posts in the last month.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

"The joys of the table belong equally to all ages, conditions, countries
and times; they mix with all other pleasures, and remain the last to
console us for their loss."
Jean Antheleme Brillet-Savarin,

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London wrote:

> Christine Dabney wrote:
>> On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 00:56:22 +0000 (UTC), PeterL >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Omelet > wrote in newsmpomelet-C524F7.12532305012009
>>> @news.giganews.com:

>>> Strictly in moderation, of course :-)

>> Well, I would check with Patricia about that.
>>
>> She came to my cook-in (she lives here in ABQ) and we asked her about
>> moderating RFR. She said it took several hours per week to do it.
>>
>> Christine
>> --
>> http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

> Agreed. Years ago I moderated a busy Yahoo group. Took a *lot* of time
> to do it properly. Gave up after a year.

I co-moderated a busy Yahoo! group and I agree.

I owned a Yahoo! group for a while and was the sole moderator. Lost a
"friend" over it. She was stupid enough to make a not nice comment about
me on the group, I bounced her and I no longer communicate with her.

Both of those groups were from my RVing life. I unsubscribed from the
one and closed the other. Life is much more enjoyable without those chores.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder > wrote in
:

> Arri London wrote:
>>
>> Christine Dabney wrote:

>>> Well, I would check with Patricia about that.
>>>
>>> She came to my cook-in (she lives here in ABQ) and we asked her
>>> about moderating RFR. She said it took several hours per week to do
>>> it.
>>>
>>> Christine
>>> --
>>> http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

>> Agreed. Years ago I moderated a busy Yahoo group. Took a *lot* of
>> time to do it properly. Gave up after a year.

> I co-moderated a busy Yahoo! group and I agree.
>
> I owned a Yahoo! group for a while and was the sole moderator. Lost a
> "friend" over it. She was stupid enough to make a not nice comment
> about me on the group, I bounced her and I no longer communicate with
> her.

LOL!!! Bad move dissing the moderator :-)

> Both of those groups were from my RVing life. I unsubscribed from the
> one and closed the other. Life is much more enjoyable without those
> chores.

I owned, and still own, a Yahoo Group. I started it originally because
of all the stalkers and trolls that were infecting the newsgroup. It's
been happily chugging along now for about 8 years. I 'appointed' a co-
moderator who looks after the group during my many absences.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

"The joys of the table belong equally to all ages, conditions, countries
and times; they mix with all other pleasures, and remain the last to
console us for their loss."
Jean Antheleme Brillet-Savarin,
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 00:56:22 +0000 (UTC), PeterL >
> wrote:
>
>>Omelet > wrote in newsmpomelet-C524F7.12532305012009
:

>>> We'll see it it works out. :-)
>>> Generally, moderation only takes a couple of times per day.

>>Strictly in moderation, of course :-)

> Well, I would check with Patricia about that.
>
> She came to my cook-in (she lives here in ABQ) and we asked her about
> moderating RFR. She said it took several hours per week to do it.
>
> Christine
> --
> http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

I haven't read rfr for quite some time, but I wonder if the moderators job
also includes 'vetting' recipes? There have been a lot of complaints here
about how so much of the recipe content on rfr is add a can of this and a
can of that soup. Some of the recipes people have referred to here sounded
truly horrific. I'm not adverse to using canned soups in some things. I'm
not a cookbook snob. But from what I've heard discussed here rfr is pretty
much a Sandra Lee type recipe posting place. Does the task of moderator
mean these are actually tried and true recipes and not just something
copy/pasted from [name your civic organization or church group] cookbook?
Just curious.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
> The moderator has determined that your post is not appropriate for
> this forum. It will be removed and your dog will be boned.
> --
> modom
>
> ambitious when it comes to fiddling with meat

More fiddling there? :-)

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> "Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 00:56:22 +0000 (UTC), PeterL >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Omelet > wrote in
>>> newsmpomelet-C524F7.12532305012009
>>> @news.giganews.com:

>>> Strictly in moderation, of course :-)

>> Well, I would check with Patricia about that.
>>
>> She came to my cook-in (she lives here in ABQ) and we asked her about
>> moderating RFR. She said it took several hours per week to do it.
>>
>> Christine
>> --
>> http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

> I haven't read rfr for quite some time, but I wonder if the moderators
> job also includes 'vetting' recipes? There have been a lot of
> complaints here about how so much of the recipe content on rfr is add a
> can of this and a can of that soup. Some of the recipes people have
> referred to here sounded truly horrific. I'm not adverse to using
> canned soups in some things. I'm not a cookbook snob. But from what
> I've heard discussed here rfr is pretty much a Sandra Lee type recipe
> posting place. Does the task of moderator mean these are actually tried
> and true recipes and not just something copy/pasted from [name your
> civic organization or church group] cookbook? Just curious.
>
> Jill

I wouldn't think the recipes are or should be vetted. Some folks,
even possibly the majority of folks, like that kind of food--and
that is the way they cook. I just go through and delete, delete,
delete.

I'd like to see some indication of whether or not a recipe is
tried and true though. That would add at least another layer of
communication which = more work and time expended though.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 06 Jan 2009 20:47:19 GMT, Michael "Dog3" wrote:

> blake murphy >
> : in rec.food.cooking
>

>>> Could be. I think a couple of our rfc folks would be excellent
>>> choices to take over the moderator position of a newsgroup. It is
>>> certainly food related.
>>>
>>> Michael

>> fine with me as long as they don't try to pull that shit here.

> Well it has not been for the lack of trying ;-)
>
> Michael

actually, the attempts are kind of fun.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 19:39:47 -0600, modom (palindrome guy) wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 19:54:46 GMT, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 15:57:09 -0800, Dan Abel wrote:

>>> As far as I know, every moderated newsgroup works the same. For users
>>> like you and I, it works exactly the same as every unmoderated
>>> newsgroup. You just post your request or recipe to the group. However,
>>> it doesn't go to the group, it goes to the moderator. The moderator
>>> then decides whether to let it go to the group or not.

>>**** that shit.
>>

> The moderator has determined that your post is not appropriate for
> this forum. It will be removed and your dog will be boned.

that should put a spring in his step!

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jean B." > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > Yahoo group moderation is no big deal. ;-)
> > I check them two or a few times per day depending on posts and time
> > available.
> >
> > It's just a matter of approving after a quick glance...

> Ah, so you have some experience. That's great!

Not on Usenet, just on Yahoo groups. :-)

But like I said, she's not gotten back to me, so she probably found
someone else with the right computer parameters.

Oh well! <shrugs>
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> "Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 00:56:22 +0000 (UTC), PeterL >
> > wrote:
> >
> >>Omelet > wrote in newsmpomelet-C524F7.12532305012009
> :

> >>Strictly in moderation, of course :-)

> > Well, I would check with Patricia about that.
> >
> > She came to my cook-in (she lives here in ABQ) and we asked her about
> > moderating RFR. She said it took several hours per week to do it.
> >
> > Christine
> > --
> > http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

> I haven't read rfr for quite some time, but I wonder if the moderators job
> also includes 'vetting' recipes? There have been a lot of complaints here
> about how so much of the recipe content on rfr is add a can of this and a
> can of that soup. Some of the recipes people have referred to here sounded
> truly horrific. I'm not adverse to using canned soups in some things. I'm
> not a cookbook snob. But from what I've heard discussed here rfr is pretty
> much a Sandra Lee type recipe posting place. Does the task of moderator
> mean these are actually tried and true recipes and not just something
> copy/pasted from [name your civic organization or church group] cookbook?
> Just curious.
>
> Jill

A recipe is a recipe... Unless it contained something obviously inedible
(making it a troll), I'd pass it and let the readers decide if they
wanted to try it or not.

Less experienced cooks LIKE recipes with "a can of this or that", and
perhaps a few chunks of Velveeta. <g>
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:
>>> Yahoo group moderation is no big deal. ;-)
>>> I check them two or a few times per day depending on posts and time
>>> available.
>>>
>>> It's just a matter of approving after a quick glance...

>> Ah, so you have some experience. That's great!

> Not on Usenet, just on Yahoo groups. :-)
>
> But like I said, she's not gotten back to me, so she probably found
> someone else with the right computer parameters.
>
> Oh well! <shrugs>

I think ANY experience would be beneficial.

I guess we shall see what happens.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jean B." > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,

> >> Ah, so you have some experience. That's great!

> > Not on Usenet, just on Yahoo groups. :-)
> >
> > But like I said, she's not gotten back to me, so she probably found
> > someone else with the right computer parameters.
> >
> > Oh well! <shrugs>

> I think ANY experience would be beneficial.
>
> I guess we shall see what happens.

I'll let you know if it pans out.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 08:33:01 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

>modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
>> The moderator has determined that your post is not appropriate for
>> this forum. It will be removed and your dog will be boned.
>> --
>> modom
>>
>> ambitious when it comes to fiddling with meat

>More fiddling there? :-)

Modom's a real fiddler. We can attest to that! Sometimes he's a
Stravinsky at fiddling with meat.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 16:18:20 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 19:39:47 -0600, modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
>
>> The moderator has determined that your post is not appropriate for
>> this forum. It will be removed and your dog will be boned.

>that should put a spring in his step!

Spring? What's left to spring with?

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:

> Omelet >
> news > rec.food.cooking
>
> > Less experienced cooks LIKE recipes with "a can of this or that", and
> > perhaps a few chunks of Velveeta. <g>

> Pfffttt... Nothing wrong with a few chunks of Velveeta in anything ;-)
>
> Michael

<lol> True!

Recipes needed The Cook Preserving 4 25-10-2010 01:59 AM
Moderator needed for rec.food.recipes Patricia D. Hill Recipes (moderated) 0 04-01-2009 09:03 PM
Group moderator needed? anthony Baking 4 06-10-2007 06:31 PM
Recipes Needed for Fundraisier David Ayres General Cooking 8 20-07-2006 04:03 AM
Easy Soul Food recipes needed please .... Gary General Cooking 163 22-11-2005 05:51 PM