Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Recipes needed

for Seckel pear jam, jelly, preserves. My neighbor has a tree and
does not seem to be using them. Thought I might help them use the
up. They also have figs.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 10/22/2010 5:12 PM, The Cook wrote:
> for Seckel pear jam, jelly, preserves. My neighbor has a tree and
> does not seem to be using them. Thought I might help them use the
> up. They also have figs.

U of GA has lots of pear and fig recipes on line and the Ball Blue Book
and the Ball Big Book both have some good recipes. I can pear slices in
a solution of Splenda and water and, I believe, the recipe is available
at UofGA also.

My favorite is pear jelly, made after I sieve the cooked pears to remove
seeds, and skins, then I drain the pulp to make pear sauce, either with
cinnamon or cloves, and the juice is then strained through the jelly bag
to make a beautiful yellow jelly.

Figs are very easy, very often we make fig jam with figs that have been
crushed and use only lemon juice and sugar and then BWB the result.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Oct 22, 5:25*pm, George Shirley > wrote:
> On 10/22/2010 5:12 PM, The Cook wrote:
>
> > for Seckel pear jam, jelly, preserves. *My neighbor has a tree and
> > does not seem to be using them. *Thought I might help them *use the
> > up. *They also have figs.

> U of GA has lots of pear and fig recipes on line and the Ball Blue Book
> and the Ball Big Book both have some good recipes. I can pear slices in
> a solution of Splenda and water and, I believe, the recipe is available
> at UofGA also.
>
> My favorite is pear jelly, made after I sieve the cooked pears to remove
> seeds, and skins, then I drain the pulp to make pear sauce, either with
> cinnamon or cloves, and the juice is then strained through the jelly bag
> to make a beautiful yellow jelly.
>
> Figs are very easy, very often we make fig jam with figs that have been
> crushed and use only lemon juice and sugar and then BWB the result.

George, do you by any chance of a link to the recipe with pear slices
in
a solution of Splenda and water or perhaps the recipe? I'm mainly
interested in the solution of Splenda and water recipe. I would like
to make jams and or can fruit, but I really don't want to make a bunch
of stuff with sugar as I know it isn't the healthiest to it. I am
having a hard time finding jam or fruit canning recipes with sugar
alternatives that will taste good. I thought that Splenda would give
the recipe a funny tast when canning. TIA!
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 10/24/2010 9:25 AM, Becca wrote:
> On Oct 22, 5:25 pm, George > wrote:
>> On 10/22/2010 5:12 PM, The Cook wrote:
>>
>>> for Seckel pear jam, jelly, preserves. My neighbor has a tree and
>>> does not seem to be using them. Thought I might help them use the
>>> up. They also have figs.

>> U of GA has lots of pear and fig recipes on line and the Ball Blue Book
>> and the Ball Big Book both have some good recipes. I can pear slices in
>> a solution of Splenda and water and, I believe, the recipe is available
>> at UofGA also.
>>
>> My favorite is pear jelly, made after I sieve the cooked pears to remove
>> seeds, and skins, then I drain the pulp to make pear sauce, either with
>> cinnamon or cloves, and the juice is then strained through the jelly bag
>> to make a beautiful yellow jelly.
>>
>> Figs are very easy, very often we make fig jam with figs that have been
>> crushed and use only lemon juice and sugar and then BWB the result.

> George, do you by any chance of a link to the recipe with pear slices
> in
> a solution of Splenda and water or perhaps the recipe? I'm mainly
> interested in the solution of Splenda and water recipe. I would like
> to make jams and or can fruit, but I really don't want to make a bunch
> of stuff with sugar as I know it isn't the healthiest to it. I am
> having a hard time finding jam or fruit canning recipes with sugar
> alternatives that will taste good. I thought that Splenda would give
> the recipe a funny tast when canning. TIA!

Here's one link, there are others out there that are more specific. Just
do a search on the UofGA site.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/questions/FAQ_general.html
Posted to rec.food.preserving
SDT SDT is offline

>for Seckel pear jam, jelly, preserves. My neighbor has a tree and
>does not seem to be using them. Thought I might help them use the
>up. They also have figs.

I'd be inclined to can most, dry some and try to learn if I could store
some for fresh.
I've never looked into preserving on this, but I have subbed pears into
apple recipes.
IIRC, the pear pie was quite tasty but a bit runnier than what I got
from the apple pie recipe I adjusted for Golden Delicious apples
(sweeter and cook faster than granny smith), and Seckel pears are
probably different from whatever pear I used, and ripeness is very
important.
-
This isn't completely a guess: So far as making a dish from the pears
and pear products goes I expect any apple, peach or apricot recipe
would be quite tasty if you subbed in pears.
You'd maybe get peach sauce if you subbed ripe and juicy peaches for
green apples, but? Worth picking up a spoon for
-
For canning I'd try to be aware of calcium chloride--
http://www.freshpreserving.com/pages...anules/323.php
is the first result at google, I suggest doing better on your search, and
why I'm saying this is pickle crisp actually helps keep thawed whiting from
going to mush when canned, and more.
SDT