Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gary

Default Easy Soul Food recipes needed please ....

Here in the UK we had a programme on TV the other evening called
Ramsey's Kitchen
nightmares ... great programme.

However this one was all about 'Soul Food'. It sounded delicious and
well worth the
effort of the preparation.

Has anyone got any easy 'Soul Food' recipes that can be posted onto our
Forum at
http://www.Menkaura.com/Forum/index.php it would be great to see it on
our site for posterity ... can't tell you the amount of times I've
found a recipe only to loose it to the web again.

In particular I'd like to have a go at a recipe that I can easily find
the ingredients
for here in the UK.

Many thanks ....

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com>,
"Gary" > wrote:

> Here in the UK we had a programme on TV the other evening called
> Ramsey's Kitchen
> nightmares ... great programme.
>

> However this one was all about 'Soul Food'. It sounded delicious and
> well worth the
> effort of the preparation.
>
> Has anyone got any easy 'Soul Food' recipes that can be posted onto our
> Forum at
> http://www.Menkaura.com/Forum/index.php it would be great to see it on
> our site for posterity ... can't tell you the amount of times I've
> found a recipe only to loose it to the web again.
>
> In particular I'd like to have a go at a recipe that I can easily find
> the ingredients
> for here in the UK.
>
> Many thanks ....

IMHO a very simple one is just plain toast and tea. Put butter and jam
on the toast of course. :-)

Macaroni and cheese is another one, as is good old chicken soup...

Chicken and dumplings too.

Recipes vary depending on individual preferences.

One of mine is crackers and alfalfa sprouts with tomatoes. Use saltines
(or your personal choice) top with a dab of mayonaisse, a thin slice of
tomato and a large pile of alfalfa sprouts.

For real comfort food, easy, I generally choose a fresh hot loaf of
french bread, some brie or havarti and a good red wine. I like a good
fruity merlot or a white zinfandel.

Do butter the bread prior to adding the cheese. ;-d

And add a good DVD movie.

Cheers!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "Gary" > wrote:
>
>> Here in the UK we had a programme on TV the other evening called
>> Ramsey's Kitchen
>> nightmares ... great programme.
>>

>> However this one was all about 'Soul Food'. It sounded delicious and
>> well worth the
>> effort of the preparation.
>>
>> Has anyone got any easy 'Soul Food' recipes that can be posted onto
>> our Forum at
>> http://www.Menkaura.com/Forum/index.php it would be great to see it
>> on our site for posterity ... can't tell you the amount of times I've
>> found a recipe only to loose it to the web again.
>>
>> In particular I'd like to have a go at a recipe that I can easily
>> find the ingredients
>> for here in the UK.
>>
>> Many thanks ....
>>

> IMHO a very simple one is just plain toast and tea. Put butter and jam
> on the toast of course. :-)
>
> Macaroni and cheese is another one, as is good old chicken soup...
>
> Chicken and dumplings too.
>
> Recipes vary depending on individual preferences.
>
> One of mine is crackers and alfalfa sprouts with tomatoes. Use
> saltines (or your personal choice) top with a dab of mayonaisse, a
> thin slice of tomato and a large pile of alfalfa sprouts.

UM.... that ain't Soul Food

Turnip greens cooked to death with bits of the turnip with streaky bacon or
ham (or ham hocks)... that's Soul Food

You hit it right with the chicken & dumplings. Gotta be the rolled type
dumplings, though, more like really thick noodles rather than fluffy
dumplings.

White soup beans (great northerns) cooked way down with ham and/or bacon...

Cream gravy is Soul Food as are biscuits & sausage gravy or ham and redeye
gravy...

Damn, now I'm hungry!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article .com>,
> "Gary" > wrote:
>
>> Here in the UK we had a programme on TV the other evening called
>> Ramsey's Kitchen
>> nightmares ... great programme.
>>

>> However this one was all about 'Soul Food'. It sounded delicious and
>> well worth the
>> effort of the preparation.
>>
>> Has anyone got any easy 'Soul Food' recipes that can be posted onto
>> our
>> Forum at
>> http://www.Menkaura.com/Forum/index.php it would be great to see it
>> on
>> our site for posterity ... can't tell you the amount of times I've
>> found a recipe only to loose it to the web again.
>>
>> In particular I'd like to have a go at a recipe that I can easily
>> find
>> the ingredients
>> for here in the UK.
>>
>> Many thanks ....
>>

> IMHO a very simple one is just plain toast and tea. Put butter and jam
> on the toast of course. :-)
>
> Macaroni and cheese is another one, as is good old chicken soup...
>
> Chicken and dumplings too.
>
> Recipes vary depending on individual preferences.
>
> One of mine is crackers and alfalfa sprouts with tomatoes. Use
> saltines
> (or your personal choice) top with a dab of mayonaisse, a thin slice
> of
> tomato and a large pile of alfalfa sprouts.
>
> For real comfort food, easy, I generally choose a fresh hot loaf of
> french bread, some brie or havarti and a good red wine. I like a good
> fruity merlot or a white zinfandel.
>
> Do butter the bread prior to adding the cheese. ;-d
>
> And add a good DVD movie.

So, is soul food just another name for comfort food?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article .com>,
> > "Gary" > wrote:
> >
> >> Here in the UK we had a programme on TV the other evening called
> >> Ramsey's Kitchen
> >> nightmares ... great programme.
> >>

> >> However this one was all about 'Soul Food'. It sounded delicious and
> >> well worth the
> >> effort of the preparation.
> >>
> >> Has anyone got any easy 'Soul Food' recipes that can be posted onto
> >> our Forum at
> >> http://www.Menkaura.com/Forum/index.php it would be great to see it
> >> on our site for posterity ... can't tell you the amount of times I've
> >> found a recipe only to loose it to the web again.
> >>
> >> In particular I'd like to have a go at a recipe that I can easily
> >> find the ingredients
> >> for here in the UK.
> >>
> >> Many thanks ....
> >>

> > IMHO a very simple one is just plain toast and tea. Put butter and jam
> > on the toast of course. :-)
> >
> > Macaroni and cheese is another one, as is good old chicken soup...
> >
> > Chicken and dumplings too.
> >
> > Recipes vary depending on individual preferences.
> >
> > One of mine is crackers and alfalfa sprouts with tomatoes. Use
> > saltines (or your personal choice) top with a dab of mayonaisse, a
> > thin slice of tomato and a large pile of alfalfa sprouts.
> >

> UM.... that ain't Soul Food

Ok, to me, "soul food" is comfort food. ;-)

> Turnip greens cooked to death with bits of the turnip with streaky bacon or
> ham (or ham hocks)... that's Soul Food

Chard maybe. IMHO turnip greens are too hard.

> You hit it right with the chicken & dumplings. Gotta be the rolled type
> dumplings, though, more like really thick noodles rather than fluffy
> dumplings.

Both. <lol>

> White soup beans (great northerns) cooked way down with ham and/or bacon...

Oh yeah! Now yer talkin'

> Cream gravy is Soul Food as are biscuits & sausage gravy or ham and redeye
> gravy...
>
> Damn, now I'm hungry!

Me too!
I'm having Havarti on some sourdough english muffins with a glass of
wine...

Join me? :-)

--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Ophelia wrote:
> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
>> In article .com>,
>> "Gary" > wrote:
>>
>>> Here in the UK we had a programme on TV the other evening called
>>> Ramsey's Kitchen
>>> nightmares ... great programme.
>>>

>>> However this one was all about 'Soul Food'. It sounded delicious and
>>> well worth the
>>> effort of the preparation.
>>>
>>> Has anyone got any easy 'Soul Food' recipes that can be posted onto
>>> our
>>> Forum at
>>> http://www.Menkaura.com/Forum/index.php it would be great to see it
>>> on
>>> our site for posterity ... can't tell you the amount of times I've
>>> found a recipe only to loose it to the web again.
>>>
>>> In particular I'd like to have a go at a recipe that I can easily
>>> find
>>> the ingredients
>>> for here in the UK.
>>>
>>> Many thanks ....
>>>

>> IMHO a very simple one is just plain toast and tea. Put butter and
>> jam on the toast of course. :-)
>>
>> Macaroni and cheese is another one, as is good old chicken soup...
>>
>> Chicken and dumplings too.
>>
>> Recipes vary depending on individual preferences.
>>
>> One of mine is crackers and alfalfa sprouts with tomatoes. Use
>> saltines
>> (or your personal choice) top with a dab of mayonaisse, a thin slice
>> of
>> tomato and a large pile of alfalfa sprouts.
>>
>> For real comfort food, easy, I generally choose a fresh hot loaf of
>> french bread, some brie or havarti and a good red wine. I like a good
>> fruity merlot or a white zinfandel.
>>
>> Do butter the bread prior to adding the cheese. ;-d
>>
>> And add a good DVD movie.

> So, is soul food just another name for comfort food?

Euphemistically, yes. Technically, no. 'Soul Food' originated in the
Southern U.S. with black slaves, but of course you don't have to be black to
have grown up with it and enjoy it. But trust me, alfalfa sprouts have no
place in traditional 'Soul Food' cooking

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> Damn, now I'm hungry!

> Me too!
> I'm having Havarti on some sourdough english muffins with a glass of
> wine...
>
> Join me? :-)

In the chat channel? I'm there

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> > In article .com>,
> > "Gary" > wrote:
> >
> >> Here in the UK we had a programme on TV the other evening called
> >> Ramsey's Kitchen
> >> nightmares ... great programme.
> >>

> >> However this one was all about 'Soul Food'. It sounded delicious and
> >> well worth the
> >> effort of the preparation.
> >>
> >> Has anyone got any easy 'Soul Food' recipes that can be posted onto
> >> our
> >> Forum at
> >> http://www.Menkaura.com/Forum/index.php it would be great to see it
> >> on
> >> our site for posterity ... can't tell you the amount of times I've
> >> found a recipe only to loose it to the web again.
> >>
> >> In particular I'd like to have a go at a recipe that I can easily
> >> find
> >> the ingredients
> >> for here in the UK.
> >>
> >> Many thanks ....
> >>

> > IMHO a very simple one is just plain toast and tea. Put butter and jam
> > on the toast of course. :-)
> >
> > Macaroni and cheese is another one, as is good old chicken soup...
> >
> > Chicken and dumplings too.
> >
> > Recipes vary depending on individual preferences.
> >
> > One of mine is crackers and alfalfa sprouts with tomatoes. Use
> > saltines
> > (or your personal choice) top with a dab of mayonaisse, a thin slice
> > of
> > tomato and a large pile of alfalfa sprouts.
> >
> > For real comfort food, easy, I generally choose a fresh hot loaf of
> > french bread, some brie or havarti and a good red wine. I like a good
> > fruity merlot or a white zinfandel.
> >
> > Do butter the bread prior to adding the cheese. ;-d
> >
> > And add a good DVD movie.

> So, is soul food just another name for comfort food?

To me, yeah, to others evidently not. ;-)

I get the impression some feel it's souther po' folks food?
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>> So, is soul food just another name for comfort food?

> Euphemistically, yes. Technically, no. 'Soul Food' originated in the
> Southern U.S. with black slaves, but of course you don't have to be
> black to
> have grown up with it and enjoy it. But trust me, alfalfa sprouts
> have no
> place in traditional 'Soul Food' cooking

thanks)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "jmcquown" > wrote:
> >
> >> Damn, now I'm hungry!

> > Me too!
> > I'm having Havarti on some sourdough english muffins with a glass of
> > wine...
> >
> > Join me? :-)

> In the chat channel? I'm there
>
> Jill

I s'pose I should, but I'm kinda sleepy.
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"Ophelia" > ha scritto nel messaggio
. ..

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> Ophelia wrote:
>>> So, is soul food just another name for comfort food?

>> Euphemistically, yes. Technically, no. 'Soul Food' originated in the
>> Southern U.S. with black slaves, but of course you don't have to be black
>> have grown up with it and enjoy it. But trust me, alfalfa sprouts have
>> no
>> place in traditional 'Soul Food' cooking

> thanks)

Soul food, IMHO, is all the things you don't like...
Cheers
Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Pandora" > wrote:

> "Ophelia" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> . ..

> >> Euphemistically, yes. Technically, no. 'Soul Food' originated in the
> >> Southern U.S. with black slaves, but of course you don't have to be black
> >> have grown up with it and enjoy it. But trust me, alfalfa sprouts have
> >> no
> >> place in traditional 'Soul Food' cooking

> > thanks)

> Soul food, IMHO, is all the things you don't like...
> Cheers
> Pandora

NO!!!!!!

I love beans and ham, and that is defintely soul food!
So is chicken and dumplings. :-)
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Debbie

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>> In article >,
>> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>>

>>> So, is soul food just another name for comfort food?

>> To me, yeah, to others evidently not. ;-)
>>
>> I get the impression some feel it's souther po' folks food?
>> --

I think to some soul food is comfort food. Those who didn't gow up with it
would not necessarily view those types of food as comfort foods. And of
course.. not all comfort foods would fall into the soul food category. If
you check out the last nights dinner thread.. my comfort food menu would not
be considered soul food.. hell, I'm not sure it is considered food.. but
sometimes ya just have to have it! :-)

Debbie

"The two most common elements in the universe are hudrogen and
stupidity." Harlan Ellison

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
. ..

> "jmcquown" > wrote

>> Ophelia wrote:
>>> So, is soul food just another name for comfort food?

>> Euphemistically, yes. Technically, no. 'Soul Food' originated in the
>> Southern U.S. with black slaves, but of course you don't have to be black
>> have grown up with it and enjoy it. But trust me, alfalfa sprouts have
>> no
>> place in traditional 'Soul Food' cooking

> thanks)

Who is that in Manhattan? Aunt Sophia? If someone could find
a menu from her restaurant, that's definitive soul food, as I understand
it. I couldn't find a menu or I'd post it, I'm not even sure I have the
right name.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Alan S

"Gary" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Here in the UK we had a programme on TV the other evening called
> Ramsey's Kitchen
> nightmares ... great programme.
>

> However this one was all about 'Soul Food'. It sounded delicious and
> well worth the
> effort of the preparation.
>
> Has anyone got any easy 'Soul Food' recipes that can be posted onto our
> Forum at
> http://www.Menkaura.com/Forum/index.php it would be great to see it on
> our site for posterity ... can't tell you the amount of times I've
> found a recipe only to loose it to the web again.
>
> In particular I'd like to have a go at a recipe that I can easily find
> the ingredients
> for here in the UK.
>
> Many thanks ....

No one has mentioned fried chicken, chitlins and gravy or cornbread. Pork of
any sort has always been a soul food staple as well.

Here ya go:
Take your favorite greens and wash off the dirt (I like this recipe with
fresh mustard greens the best but turnip, collards or whatever you like will
work)
Fry up a couple of pieces of bacon. Remove them when they are done and leave
the grease in the skillet
Slice up a few red radishes and throw the greens and radishes in the pan
with the bacon grease in it and cook it until they have cooked down (fill
the skillet to the top with the greens, they cook down a lot. I realize that
"cook down" is a vague term but just try it and it will make sense. I do not
like to cook them too long myself because I like a little crunch to them but
it is up to you. They cook down fast.)
Crumble up the bacon into it and dust it with black pepper
Serve with a red vinegar to taste

http://southernfood.about.com/od/cornbread/

- A -

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> In article >,
> "Pandora" > wrote:
>
>> "Ophelia" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> . ..

>> > thanks)

>> Soul food, IMHO, is all the things you don't like...
>> Cheers
>> Pandora
>> >

> NO!!!!!!
>
> I love beans and ham, and that is defintely soul food!
> So is chicken and dumplings. :-)
> --
> Om.

Perhaps I should have said: "...all the things you like"...but in this case
they aren't food for soul , they are food for fat
Cheers
Pandora

> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack
> Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message

>>> IMHO a very simple one is just plain toast and tea. Put butter and
>>> jam on the toast of course. :-)
>>>
>>> Macaroni and cheese is another one, as is good old chicken soup...
>>>
>>> Chicken and dumplings too.
>>>
>>> Recipes vary depending on individual preferences.
>>>
>>> One of mine is crackers and alfalfa sprouts with tomatoes. Use
>>> saltines
>>> (or your personal choice) top with a dab of mayonaisse, a thin slice
>>> of
>>> tomato and a large pile of alfalfa sprouts.
>>>
>>> For real comfort food, easy, I generally choose a fresh hot loaf of
>>> french bread, some brie or havarti and a good red wine. I like a
>>> good fruity merlot or a white zinfandel.
>>>
>>> Do butter the bread prior to adding the cheese. ;-d
>>>
>>> And add a good DVD movie.

>> So, is soul food just another name for comfort food?

> To me, yeah, to others evidently not. ;-)
>
> I get the impression some feel it's souther po' folks food?

Now we get into po' folks vs. what was available. IMHO (sincerely humble
opinion), Southern comfort food was what was available cheaply during and
after Reconstruction. Greens, cornbread, home baked bread with lard or
rendered fatback.

Chicken & dumplings, yes. Simmered beans and bean soup; mac & cheese, milk
gravy on biscuits (predates sausage gravy), baked potatoes.

Later on, after the "great" American depression, these foods became precious
again, North and South. My grandmother fed her children on potato soup and
greens for a number of years. When they say someone had to walk to school
uphills both ways... Grandma baked potatoes in the wood stove then sent my
dad and his siblings to school in the 1930's with hot potatoes to keep their
hands warm and to eat for lunch. I'm not kidding.

They had the occasional chicken and the greens were usually dandylions. She
made rivels (tiny dumplings) to make the potato soup more filling.

I am so fortunate. So lucky. So are we all.

OB Food: Grandma Mac's Potato Soup

4-5 medium white potatoes
1 finely chopped onion
1/2 tsp. black pepper
salt as needed (to taste)
4 c. chicken stock or broth
water to cover
2-3 slices bacon, fried (not too crisp)

Bring stock and water to a boil and add onion, potatoes and other
seasonings. Boil about 20 minutes then stir in cooked crumbled bacon. Stir
in rivlets and cook about 10 minutes.

Rivlets

3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 large egg
dash of milk

Blend ingredients together very well, until the mixture resembles course
crumbs. Drop into bubbling soup and cook about 10 minutes.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
.. .

> Now we get into po' folks vs. what was available. IMHO (sincerely
> humble
> opinion), Southern comfort food was what was available cheaply during
> and
> after Reconstruction. Greens, cornbread, home baked bread with lard
> or
> rendered fatback.
>
> Chicken & dumplings, yes. Simmered beans and bean soup; mac & cheese,
> milk
> gravy on biscuits (predates sausage gravy), baked potatoes.
>
> Later on, after the "great" American depression, these foods became
> precious
> again, North and South. My grandmother fed her children on potato
> soup and
> greens for a number of years. When they say someone had to walk to
> school
> uphills both ways... Grandma baked potatoes in the wood stove then
> sent my
> dad and his siblings to school in the 1930's with hot potatoes to keep
> their
> hands warm and to eat for lunch. I'm not kidding.
>
> They had the occasional chicken and the greens were usually
> dandylions. She
> made rivels (tiny dumplings) to make the potato soup more filling.
>
> I am so fortunate. So lucky. So are we all.

Thank you Jill. We are all very lucky. Please explain 'Reconstruction'
and 'sausage gravy'
recipe saved

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Ophelia wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> .. .
>>
>> Now we get into po' folks vs. what was available. IMHO (sincerely
>> humble
>> opinion), Southern comfort food was what was available cheaply during
>> and
>> after Reconstruction. Greens, cornbread, home baked bread with lard
>> or
>> rendered fatback.
>>
>> Chicken & dumplings, yes. Simmered beans and bean soup; mac &
>> cheese, milk
>> gravy on biscuits (predates sausage gravy), baked potatoes.
>>
>> Later on, after the "great" American depression, these foods became
>> precious
>> again, North and South. My grandmother fed her children on potato
>> soup and
>> greens for a number of years. When they say someone had to walk to
>> school
>> uphills both ways... Grandma baked potatoes in the wood stove then
>> sent my
>> dad and his siblings to school in the 1930's with hot potatoes to
>> keep their
>> hands warm and to eat for lunch. I'm not kidding.
>>
>> They had the occasional chicken and the greens were usually
>> dandylions. She
>> made rivels (tiny dumplings) to make the potato soup more filling.
>>
>> I am so fortunate. So lucky. So are we all.

> Thank you Jill. We are all very lucky. Please explain
> 'Reconstruction' and 'sausage gravy'
> recipe saved

Reconstruction was after the American Civil War, when the northern troops
controlled everything the southern people did, who might have gone against
the Northern Army or the Union government. (Britain has not been without
these types of wars; Scotland in particular.)

Unfortunately, the Reconstruction ort of took over the foods available.
Coffee was scarce as was tea. Flour was scarce. Cornmeal became a readily
available commodity. Turnips and their greens were easy to grow and pick.

Sausage gravy is a gravy made with ground pork seasoned with sage, milk or
cream and the drippings from the pork when you cook it. Biscuits over here
are like scones without fruit; savoury scones. You bake biscuits, split it
in half, then spoon over the sausage gravy. It's for breakfast or lunch.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 28 Oct 2005 05:58:40a, Nancy Young wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> . ..

>>> Euphemistically, yes. Technically, no. 'Soul Food' originated in the
>>> Southern U.S. with black slaves, but of course you don't have to be
>>> black to have grown up with it and enjoy it. But trust me, alfalfa
>>> sprouts have
>>> no place in traditional 'Soul Food' cooking

>> thanks)

> Who is that in Manhattan? Aunt Sophia? If someone could find
> a menu from her restaurant, that's definitive soul food, as I understand
> it. I couldn't find a menu or I'd post it, I'm not even sure I have the
> right name.
>
> nancy

Are you thinking of Sylvia's in Harlem? It's probably the most famous.
There is a cookbook available, but I can't find a menu.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 28 Oct 2005 05:58:40a, Nancy Young wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> . ..

>>> Euphemistically, yes. Technically, no. 'Soul Food' originated in the
>>> Southern U.S. with black slaves, but of course you don't have to be
>>> black to have grown up with it and enjoy it. But trust me, alfalfa
>>> sprouts have
>>> no place in traditional 'Soul Food' cooking

>> thanks)

> Who is that in Manhattan? Aunt Sophia? If someone could find
> a menu from her restaurant, that's definitive soul food, as I understand
> it. I couldn't find a menu or I'd post it, I'm not even sure I have the
> right name.
>
> nancy

Here are some menu items from a local soul food restaurant, Mrs. Whites,
here in Phoenix...

Fried Fish • BBQ Ribs • Fried Chicken • Chitterlings• Pig feet • Pork Chops
• Oxtails• Greens Greenbeans • Black eye peas• Mac• Pinto beans• Rice •
Cabbage• Yams • Cornbread • Hot water Cornbread• Fried Cabbage
Peach Cobbler• Pecan Pie• Sweet Potato Pie • Peanut Pie • 7-up Cake•
Chocolate Cake• Lemon Cake• Coconut Cake• Red Velvet Cake

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote
> On Fri 28 Oct 2005 05:58:40a, Nancy Young wrote

>> Who is that in Manhattan? Aunt Sophia? If someone could find
>> a menu from her restaurant, that's definitive soul food, as I understand
>> it. I couldn't find a menu or I'd post it, I'm not even sure I have the
>> right name.

> Are you thinking of Sylvia's in Harlem? It's probably the most famous.
> There is a cookbook available, but I can't find a menu.

Of course! Thank you. I just thought their menu would explain
what food is considered to be soul food. I'm picturing fried chicken,
black eyed peas, mashed potatoes, sweet potato pie, greens ...
all good stuff.

nancy (Aunt Sophia???)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote

> Here are some menu items from a local soul food restaurant, Mrs. Whites,
> here in Phoenix...
>
> Fried Fish . BBQ Ribs . Fried Chicken . Chitterlings. Pig feet . Pork
> Chops
> . Oxtails. Greens Greenbeans . Black eye peas. Mac. Pinto beans. Rice
> .
> Cabbage. Yams . Cornbread . Hot water Cornbread. Fried Cabbage
> Peach Cobbler. Pecan Pie. Sweet Potato Pie . Peanut Pie . 7-up Cake.
> Chocolate Cake. Lemon Cake. Coconut Cake. Red Velvet Cake

PERfect.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news

> Reconstruction was after the American Civil War, when the northern
> troops
> controlled everything the southern people did, who might have gone
> against
> the Northern Army or the Union government. (Britain has not been
> without
> these types of wars; Scotland in particular.)
>
> Unfortunately, the Reconstruction ort of took over the foods
> available.
> Coffee was scarce as was tea. Flour was scarce. Cornmeal became a
> readily
> available commodity. Turnips and their greens were easy to grow and
> pick.
>
> Sausage gravy is a gravy made with ground pork seasoned with sage,
> milk or
> cream and the drippings from the pork when you cook it. Biscuits over
> here
> are like scones without fruit; savoury scones. You bake biscuits,
> split it
> in half, then spoon over the sausage gravy. It's for breakfast or
> lunch.

Thank you Jill) I know about the biscuits So when you make the
sausage gravy, is the sausage left in it or is it just the drippings
from it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Alan S

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
. uk...

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> news >
>>
>> Reconstruction was after the American Civil War, when the northern
>> troops
>> controlled everything the southern people did, who might have gone
>> against
>> the Northern Army or the Union government. (Britain has not been
>> without
>> these types of wars; Scotland in particular.)
>>
>> Unfortunately, the Reconstruction ort of took over the foods
>> available.
>> Coffee was scarce as was tea. Flour was scarce. Cornmeal became a
>> readily
>> available commodity. Turnips and their greens were easy to grow and
>> pick.
>>
>> Sausage gravy is a gravy made with ground pork seasoned with sage,
>> milk or
>> cream and the drippings from the pork when you cook it. Biscuits over
>> here
>> are like scones without fruit; savoury scones. You bake biscuits,
>> split it
>> in half, then spoon over the sausage gravy. It's for breakfast or
>> lunch.

> Thank you Jill) I know about the biscuits So when you make the
> sausage gravy, is the sausage left in it or is it just the drippings from
> it?

You leave the sausage in. It is sausage without casing so it is crumbly.
Check it out sometime, brown some sausage in a skillet and remove it to be
drained but leave some of the drippings in the pan. Make a nice white gravy
with lots of course ground black pepper in it and then mix the sausage into
it. Serve over biscuits with a nice cup of dark black coffee! Yummmm!

- A -

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Alan S wrote:
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> . uk...
>>
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> news >>
>>>
>>> Reconstruction was after the American Civil War, when the northern
>>> troops
>>> controlled everything the southern people did, who might have gone
>>> against
>>> the Northern Army or the Union government. (Britain has not been
>>> without
>>> these types of wars; Scotland in particular.)
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, the Reconstruction ort of took over the foods
>>> available.
>>> Coffee was scarce as was tea. Flour was scarce. Cornmeal became a
>>> readily
>>> available commodity. Turnips and their greens were easy to grow and
>>> pick.
>>>
>>> Sausage gravy is a gravy made with ground pork seasoned with sage,
>>> milk or
>>> cream and the drippings from the pork when you cook it. Biscuits
>>> over here
>>> are like scones without fruit; savoury scones. You bake biscuits,
>>> split it
>>> in half, then spoon over the sausage gravy. It's for breakfast or
>>> lunch.

>> Thank you Jill) I know about the biscuits So when you make the
>> sausage gravy, is the sausage left in it or is it just the drippings
>> from it?

> You leave the sausage in. It is sausage without casing so it is
> crumbly. Check it out sometime, brown some sausage in a skillet and
> remove it to be drained but leave some of the drippings in the pan.
> Make a nice white gravy with lots of course ground black pepper in it
> and then mix the sausage into it. Serve over biscuits with a nice cup
> of dark black coffee! Yummmm!
>
> - A -

Exactly, if you want sausage gravy. Otherwise make a cream or milk gravy
with the drippings after you pan-fry sausage. Make a roux with flour, salt
and lots of pepper and milk or cream... cook and stir until you have a nice
thick sauce. Great over biscuits or thin pan-fried pork or beef steaks.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article >,

> >> So, is soul food just another name for comfort food?

> > To me, yeah, to others evidently not. ;-)
> >
> > I get the impression some feel it's souther po' folks food?

> Now we get into po' folks vs. what was available. IMHO (sincerely humble
> opinion), Southern comfort food was what was available cheaply during and
> after Reconstruction. Greens, cornbread, home baked bread with lard or
> rendered fatback.
>
> Chicken & dumplings, yes. Simmered beans and bean soup; mac & cheese, milk
> gravy on biscuits (predates sausage gravy), baked potatoes.
>
> Later on, after the "great" American depression, these foods became precious
> again, North and South. My grandmother fed her children on potato soup and
> greens for a number of years. When they say someone had to walk to school
> uphills both ways... Grandma baked potatoes in the wood stove then sent my
> dad and his siblings to school in the 1930's with hot potatoes to keep their
> hands warm and to eat for lunch. I'm not kidding.
>
> They had the occasional chicken and the greens were usually dandylions. She
> made rivels (tiny dumplings) to make the potato soup more filling.
>
> I am so fortunate. So lucky. So are we all.
>
> OB Food: Grandma Mac's Potato Soup
>
> 4-5 medium white potatoes
> 1 finely chopped onion
> 1/2 tsp. black pepper
> salt as needed (to taste)
> 4 c. chicken stock or broth
> water to cover
> 2-3 slices bacon, fried (not too crisp)
>
> Bring stock and water to a boil and add onion, potatoes and other
> seasonings. Boil about 20 minutes then stir in cooked crumbled bacon. Stir
> in rivlets and cook about 10 minutes.
>
> Rivlets
>
> 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
> 1/2 tsp. salt
> 1 large egg
> dash of milk
>
> Blend ingredients together very well, until the mixture resembles course
> crumbs. Drop into bubbling soup and cook about 10 minutes.
>
> Jill

For dumplings, I generally use a buscuit recipe and just roll them into
small balls. :-)

Man, I've not made dumplings in AGES!

The above recipe(s) sound really good! Thanks!

And I agree, we really are rich! Heck, we have internet access! <lol>

Cheers!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >
> > Now we get into po' folks vs. what was available. IMHO (sincerely
> > humble
> > opinion), Southern comfort food was what was available cheaply during
> > and
> > after Reconstruction. Greens, cornbread, home baked bread with lard
> > or
> > rendered fatback.
> >
> > Chicken & dumplings, yes. Simmered beans and bean soup; mac & cheese,
> > milk
> > gravy on biscuits (predates sausage gravy), baked potatoes.
> >
> > Later on, after the "great" American depression, these foods became
> > precious
> > again, North and South. My grandmother fed her children on potato
> > soup and
> > greens for a number of years. When they say someone had to walk to
> > school
> > uphills both ways... Grandma baked potatoes in the wood stove then
> > sent my
> > dad and his siblings to school in the 1930's with hot potatoes to keep
> > their
> > hands warm and to eat for lunch. I'm not kidding.
> >
> > They had the occasional chicken and the greens were usually
> > dandylions. She
> > made rivels (tiny dumplings) to make the potato soup more filling.
> >
> > I am so fortunate. So lucky. So are we all.

> Thank you Jill. We are all very lucky. Please explain 'Reconstruction'
> and 'sausage gravy'
> recipe saved

Reconstruction was post-civil war. The re-structuring and rebuilding of
the southern states that tried to cecede from the union. Very American
history. ;-)

Sausage gravy??? OH boy!

Fry some pork sausage, sliced or link. Leave the grease in the pan. Add
flour to make a roux and enough milk to thin to the desired consitency.
For red-eye gravy, add coffee.

Serve over buscuits with sausage, fried eggs on the side and hash browns
(grated potato mixed with egg) if you have them.

Southern cooking at it's, uh, best? <lol>

Cheers!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> news >
> >
> > Reconstruction was after the American Civil War, when the northern
> > troops
> > controlled everything the southern people did, who might have gone
> > against
> > the Northern Army or the Union government. (Britain has not been
> > without
> > these types of wars; Scotland in particular.)
> >
> > Unfortunately, the Reconstruction ort of took over the foods
> > available.
> > Coffee was scarce as was tea. Flour was scarce. Cornmeal became a
> > readily
> > available commodity. Turnips and their greens were easy to grow and
> > pick.
> >
> > Sausage gravy is a gravy made with ground pork seasoned with sage,
> > milk or
> > cream and the drippings from the pork when you cook it. Biscuits over
> > here
> > are like scones without fruit; savoury scones. You bake biscuits,
> > split it
> > in half, then spoon over the sausage gravy. It's for breakfast or
> > lunch.

> Thank you Jill) I know about the biscuits So when you make the
> sausage gravy, is the sausage left in it or is it just the drippings
> from it?

Both IMHO...
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

"Alan S" > wrote in message
t...

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> . uk...
>>
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> news >>
>>>
>>> Reconstruction was after the American Civil War, when the northern
>>> troops
>>> controlled everything the southern people did, who might have gone
>>> against
>>> the Northern Army or the Union government. (Britain has not been
>>> without
>>> these types of wars; Scotland in particular.)
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, the Reconstruction ort of took over the foods
>>> available.
>>> Coffee was scarce as was tea. Flour was scarce. Cornmeal became a
>>> readily
>>> available commodity. Turnips and their greens were easy to grow and
>>> pick.
>>>
>>> Sausage gravy is a gravy made with ground pork seasoned with sage,
>>> milk or
>>> cream and the drippings from the pork when you cook it. Biscuits
>>> over
>>> here
>>> are like scones without fruit; savoury scones. You bake biscuits,
>>> split it
>>> in half, then spoon over the sausage gravy. It's for breakfast or
>>> lunch.

>> Thank you Jill) I know about the biscuits So when you make the
>> sausage gravy, is the sausage left in it or is it just the drippings
>> from it?

> You leave the sausage in. It is sausage without casing so it is
> crumbly. Check it out sometime, brown some sausage in a skillet and
> remove it to be drained but leave some of the drippings in the pan.
> Make a nice white gravy with lots of course ground black pepper in it
> and then mix the sausage into it. Serve over biscuits with a nice cup
> of dark black coffee! Yummmm!

When you say white gravy.. do you mean white sauce?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

A link

http://chitterlings.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob

Ophelia wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> news >
>
>>Reconstruction was after the American Civil War, when the northern
>>troops
>>controlled everything the southern people did, who might have gone
>>against
>>the Northern Army or the Union government. (Britain has not been
>>without
>>these types of wars; Scotland in particular.)
>>
>>Unfortunately, the Reconstruction ort of took over the foods
>>available.
>>Coffee was scarce as was tea. Flour was scarce. Cornmeal became a
>>readily
>>available commodity. Turnips and their greens were easy to grow and
>>pick.
>>
>>Sausage gravy is a gravy made with ground pork seasoned with sage,
>>milk or
>>cream and the drippings from the pork when you cook it. Biscuits over
>>here
>>are like scones without fruit; savoury scones. You bake biscuits,
>>split it
>>in half, then spoon over the sausage gravy. It's for breakfast or
>>lunch.

> Thank you Jill) I know about the biscuits So when you make the
> sausage gravy, is the sausage left in it or is it just the drippings
> from it?

It's done both ways, but sausage-left-in has probably become more
common. I prefer it just made with the drippings and having the sausage
served on the side.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Alan S

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Alan S" > wrote in message
> t...
>>
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> . uk...
>>>
>>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> news >>>

>>> Thank you Jill) I know about the biscuits So when you make the
>>> sausage gravy, is the sausage left in it or is it just the drippings
>>> from it?

>> You leave the sausage in. It is sausage without casing so it is crumbly.
>> Check it out sometime, brown some sausage in a skillet and remove it to
>> be drained but leave some of the drippings in the pan. Make a nice white
>> gravy with lots of course ground black pepper in it and then mix the
>> sausage into it. Serve over biscuits with a nice cup of dark black
>> coffee! Yummmm!

> When you say white gravy.. do you mean white sauce?

No, not really though it is white. Gravy is thick and tasty if made
properly. It is not difficult to make but good gravy takes a touch to get
right when cooking, it gets lumpy if you don't time it right. I have
marginal luck with it, maybe someone could give me a fool proof way to make
gravy from scratch?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 28 Oct 2005 11:45:16a, Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Alan S" > wrote in message
> t...
>>
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> . uk...
>>>
>>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> news >>>

>>> Thank you Jill) I know about the biscuits So when you make the
>>> sausage gravy, is the sausage left in it or is it just the drippings
>>> from it?

>> You leave the sausage in. It is sausage without casing so it is
>> crumbly. Check it out sometime, brown some sausage in a skillet and
>> remove it to be drained but leave some of the drippings in the pan.
>> Make a nice white gravy with lots of course ground black pepper in it
>> and then mix the sausage into it. Serve over biscuits with a nice cup
>> of dark black coffee! Yummmm!

> When you say white gravy.. do you mean white sauce?

Basically, yes, but you use the drippings instead of butter to make the
roux before ing adding the milk.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pan Ohco

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 07:45:21 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

>> So, is soul food just another name for comfort food?

>To me, yeah, to others evidently not. ;-)
>
>I get the impression some feel it's souther po' folks food?

In all actuality that's what it is.
Soul food was the food of poor blacks & whites in the south.
In the sixties the name "soul food" came about for comfort food, that
the blacks (now in the northern climes) remembered from their youth in
the south.
And a number of old black men told me "Son, you don't eat soul food,
when you can afford steak"

Pan Ohco

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article > ,
"Alan S" > wrote:

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >
> > "Alan S" > wrote in message
> > t...
> >>
> >> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> >> . uk...

> >> You leave the sausage in. It is sausage without casing so it is crumbly.
> >> Check it out sometime, brown some sausage in a skillet and remove it to
> >> be drained but leave some of the drippings in the pan. Make a nice white
> >> gravy with lots of course ground black pepper in it and then mix the
> >> sausage into it. Serve over biscuits with a nice cup of dark black
> >> coffee! Yummmm!

> > When you say white gravy.. do you mean white sauce?
> >

> No, not really though it is white. Gravy is thick and tasty if made
> properly. It is not difficult to make but good gravy takes a touch to get
> right when cooking, it gets lumpy if you don't time it right. I have
> marginal luck with it, maybe someone could give me a fool proof way to make
> gravy from scratch?

Mix the flour with a little cold milk before adding it, just like you
would corn starch thickener. Works every time for me. :-) There is
enough grease in the pan from sausage, forking the flour into butter or
the grease is not necessary.

Oh, and use a whisk...

Cheers!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
.. .
> Alan S wrote:
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> . uk...
>>>
>>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> news >>>

>>> Thank you Jill) I know about the biscuits So when you make
>>> the
>>> sausage gravy, is the sausage left in it or is it just the drippings
>>> from it?

>> You leave the sausage in. It is sausage without casing so it is
>> crumbly. Check it out sometime, brown some sausage in a skillet and
>> remove it to be drained but leave some of the drippings in the pan.
>> Make a nice white gravy with lots of course ground black pepper in it
>> and then mix the sausage into it. Serve over biscuits with a nice cup
>> of dark black coffee! Yummmm!
>>
>> - A -

> Exactly, if you want sausage gravy. Otherwise make a cream or milk
> gravy
> with the drippings after you pan-fry sausage. Make a roux with flour,
> salt
> and lots of pepper and milk or cream... cook and stir until you have a
> nice
> thick sauce. Great over biscuits or thin pan-fried pork or beef
> steaks.

Sounds like savoury white sauce)) thanks again

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> .. .
>> >
>> > Now we get into po' folks vs. what was available. IMHO (sincerely
>> > humble
>> > opinion), Southern comfort food was what was available cheaply
>> > during
>> > and
>> > after Reconstruction. Greens, cornbread, home baked bread with
>> > lard
>> > or
>> > rendered fatback.
>> >
>> > Chicken & dumplings, yes. Simmered beans and bean soup; mac &
>> > cheese,
>> > milk
>> > gravy on biscuits (predates sausage gravy), baked potatoes.
>> >
>> > Later on, after the "great" American depression, these foods became
>> > precious
>> > again, North and South. My grandmother fed her children on potato
>> > soup and
>> > greens for a number of years. When they say someone had to walk to
>> > school
>> > uphills both ways... Grandma baked potatoes in the wood stove then
>> > sent my
>> > dad and his siblings to school in the 1930's with hot potatoes to
>> > keep
>> > their
>> > hands warm and to eat for lunch. I'm not kidding.
>> >
>> > They had the occasional chicken and the greens were usually
>> > dandylions. She
>> > made rivels (tiny dumplings) to make the potato soup more filling.
>> >
>> > I am so fortunate. So lucky. So are we all.

>> Thank you Jill. We are all very lucky. Please explain
>> 'Reconstruction'
>> and 'sausage gravy'
>> recipe saved

> Reconstruction was post-civil war. The re-structuring and rebuilding
> of
> the southern states that tried to cecede from the union. Very American
> history. ;-)
>
> Sausage gravy??? OH boy!
>
> Fry some pork sausage, sliced or link. Leave the grease in the pan.
> Add
> flour to make a roux and enough milk to thin to the desired
> consitency.
> For red-eye gravy, add coffee.
>
> Serve over buscuits with sausage, fried eggs on the side and hash
> browns
> (grated potato mixed with egg) if you have them.
>
> Southern cooking at it's, uh, best? <lol>

This sounds like you take the sausage out! Oh yes.. another
question.. what is red-eye gravy???

O enjoying asking about all the strange things she reads here)))))

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Fri 28 Oct 2005 11:45:16a, Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>> "Alan S" > wrote in message
>> t...
>>>
>>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>> . uk...

>>> You leave the sausage in. It is sausage without casing so it is
>>> crumbly. Check it out sometime, brown some sausage in a skillet and
>>> remove it to be drained but leave some of the drippings in the pan.
>>> Make a nice white gravy with lots of course ground black pepper in
>>> it
>>> and then mix the sausage into it. Serve over biscuits with a nice
>>> cup
>>> of dark black coffee! Yummmm!

>> When you say white gravy.. do you mean white sauce?

> Basically, yes, but you use the drippings instead of butter to make
> the
> roux before ing adding the milk.

Ok so when I make a white sauce :

1 pint of milk, 40g butter, 40g flour. Whop em all into a
saucepan, stick it on the heat and whisk. Once it is thick allow it so
cook for a few minutes on a very low heat.

For white gravy I put in pork drippings instead of butter.............?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Default Southern cooking (was Easy Soul Food recipes needed please) ....

In article >,
"ms_peacock" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> >

> > Reconstruction was post-civil war. The re-structuring and rebuilding of
> > the southern states that tried to cecede from the union. Very American
> > history. ;-)
> >
> > Sausage gravy??? OH boy!
> >
> > Fry some pork sausage, sliced or link. Leave the grease in the pan. Add
> > flour to make a roux and enough milk to thin to the desired consitency.
> > For red-eye gravy, add coffee.

> I always thought red-eye gravy was made from the pan drippings left from
> frying ham.

Either/or from what I've seen around here.

> > Serve over buscuits with sausage, fried eggs on the side and hash browns
> > (grated potato mixed with egg) if you have them.
> >

> I don't think you're going to get hash browns in the South. I've also never
> had hash browns made from grated potato mixed with egg.

So what do you mix them with to get them to stick together?
Mom always made them that way. Not much egg, just a little.

> > Southern cooking at it's, uh, best? <lol>
> >
> > Cheers!
> > --
> > Om.

> You don't like Southern cooking?

Some.
Depends.
Biscuits and gravy with sausage is one of my more favorites.

Hate collard greens or turnip greens.
With a passion. :-P Too tough.
I prefer spinach or chard.

Grits are ok with butter and sugar. ;-)

> Ms P, from a long line of Southern cooks.

Do share?
I'm still learning. Forever it seems!

--
Om.