FoodBanter.com

-   -   Moderator needed for rec.food.recipes (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/166444-moderator-needed-rec-food.html)

Patricia D. Hill 04-01-2009 08:03 PM

Moderator needed for rec.food.recipes

Opening for Moderator of rec.food.recipes

The time has come for me to step down as the moderator of
rec.food.recipes. I am looking for someone who would like to take over as
the new moderator. If have some knowledge of both cooking and of UNIX
(or LINIX) and have some free time each day you could do this. If you
think you might be interested and would like to know more details please
write me at recipes at swcp.com

Patricia Hill Albuquerque, New Mexico
rec.food.recipes lead moderator

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia D. Hill at
.

Climate Change 05-01-2009 01:18 AM

Moderator needed for rec.food.recipes

On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 16:42:24 -0600, in rec.food.cooking,rec.food.recipes
you wrote:

> Patricia D. Hill wrote:
>> Opening for Moderator of rec.food.recipes
>>
>> The time has come for me to step down as the moderator of
>> rec.food.recipes. I am looking for someone who would like to take over as
>> the new moderator. If have some knowledge of both cooking and of UNIX
>> (or LINIX) and have some free time each day you could do this. If you
>> think you might be interested and would like to know more details please
>> write me at recipes at swcp.com
>>
>> Patricia Hill Albuquerque, New Mexico
>> rec.food.recipes lead moderator
>>

> I'm not up for the job, but I'm sorry to see you go, Patricia. You've
> done an amazing job, especially with those who don't know they are
> posting to a newsgroup or even what a newsgroup is.
>
> Godspeed and thanks.

I nominate Peter Lucas.

El Niño-Naveb 05-01-2009 03:06 AM

"Climate Change" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 16:42:24 -0600, in rec.food.cooking,rec.food.recipes
> you wrote:
>
>> Patricia D. Hill wrote:
>>> Opening for Moderator of rec.food.recipes
>>>
>>> The time has come for me to step down as the moderator of
>>> rec.food.recipes. I am looking for someone who would like to take over
>>> as
>>> the new moderator. If have some knowledge of both cooking and of UNIX
>>> (or LINIX) and have some free time each day you could do this. If you
>>> think you might be interested and would like to know more details please
>>> write me at recipes at swcp.com
>>>
>>> Patricia Hill Albuquerque, New Mexico
>>> rec.food.recipes lead moderator
>>>

>> I'm not up for the job, but I'm sorry to see you go, Patricia. You've
>> done an amazing job, especially with those who don't know they are
>> posting to a newsgroup or even what a newsgroup is.
>>
>> Godspeed and thanks.

> I nominate Peter Lucas.

Could he squeeze it in with his other volunteer activities.
(Lions Club, SES, Net Nanny, Special Troll Service,Bull Shitters Anonymous)

blake murphy[_2_] 05-01-2009 03:24 PM

On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 14:03:38 -0600, Patricia D. Hill wrote:

> Opening for Moderator of rec.food.recipes
>
> The time has come for me to step down as the moderator of
> rec.food.recipes. I am looking for someone who would like to take over as
> the new moderator. If have some knowledge of both cooking and of UNIX
> (or LINIX) and have some free time each day you could do this. If you
> think you might be interested and would like to know more details please
> write me at recipes at swcp.com
>
> Patricia Hill Albuquerque, New Mexico
> rec.food.recipes lead moderator

could this be the end of empire?

your pal,
blake

Omelet[_7_] 05-01-2009 04:48 PM

Moderator needed for rec.food.recipes

In article >,
"Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:

> blake murphy >
> : in rec.food.cooking
>
> > On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 14:03:38 -0600, Patricia D. Hill wrote:
> >
> >> Opening for Moderator of rec.food.recipes
> >>
> >> The time has come for me to step down as the moderator of
> >> rec.food.recipes. I am looking for someone who would like to take
> >> over as the new moderator. If have some knowledge of both cooking
> >> and of UNIX (or LINIX) and have some free time each day you could do
> >> this. If you think you might be interested and would like to know
> >> more details please write me at recipes at swcp.com
> >>
> >> Patricia Hill Albuquerque, New Mexico
> >> rec.food.recipes lead moderator

> > could this be the end of empire?

> Could be. I think a couple of our rfc folks would be excellent choices to
> take over the moderator position of a newsgroup. It is certainly food
> related.
>
> Michael

I e-mailed her but it might not work out because I drive a mac. :-(
I moderate some yahoo groups nationally and locally, so I have
experience.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama

PeterL[_7_] 05-01-2009 04:55 PM

Moderator needed for rec.food.recipes

Omelet > wrote in
:

> I e-mailed her but it might not work out because I drive a mac. :-(
> I moderate some yahoo groups nationally and locally, so I have
> experience.

What's the salary worth??

Dental/Hospital/Medical??

Holidays??

Superannuation??

If it's a good package, I might even consider it.

Then I can retire a second time.

;-P

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

"The joys of the table belong equally to all ages, conditions, countries
and times; they mix with all other pleasures, and remain the last to
console us for their loss."
Jean Antheleme Brillet-Savarin,

Omelet[_7_] 05-01-2009 05:19 PM

Moderator needed for rec.food.recipes

In article > ,
PeterL > wrote:

> Omelet > wrote in
> :

> > I e-mailed her but it might not work out because I drive a mac. :-(
> > I moderate some yahoo groups nationally and locally, so I have
> > experience.

> What's the salary worth??
>
> Dental/Hospital/Medical??
>
> Holidays??
>
> Superannuation??
>

> If it's a good package, I might even consider it.
>
> Then I can retire a second time.
>

> ;-P

It's volunteer only. ;-)
I'm ok with that.

PeterL[_7_] 05-01-2009 05:44 PM

Moderator needed for rec.food.recipes

Omelet > wrote in news:ompomelet-
:

> In article > ,
> PeterL > wrote:
>
>> Omelet > wrote in
>> :

take

would

swcp.com

Albuquerque, New
Mexico

>> > I e-mailed her but it might not work out because I drive a mac. :-(
>> > I moderate some yahoo groups nationally and locally, so I have
>> > experience.

>> What's the salary worth??
>>
>> Dental/Hospital/Medical??
>>
>> Holidays??
>>
>> Superannuation??
>>

>> If it's a good package, I might even consider it.
>>
>> Then I can retire a second time.
>>

>> ;-P

> It's volunteer only. ;-)
> I'm ok with that.

Look at the winking smiley, with the *huge* tongue sticking out.

Omelet[_7_] 05-01-2009 05:45 PM

PeterL > wrote:

> Omelet > wrote in news:ompomelet-
> :
>
> > In article > ,
> > PeterL > wrote:
> >
> >> Omelet > wrote in
> >> :

> take

> would

> swcp.com

Albuquerque, New
> Mexico

> >> What's the salary worth??
> >>
> >> Dental/Hospital/Medical??
> >>
> >> Holidays??
> >>
> >> Superannuation??
> >>

> >> If it's a good package, I might even consider it.
> >>
> >> Then I can retire a second time.
> >>

> >> ;-P

> > It's volunteer only. ;-)
> > I'm ok with that.

> Look at the winking smiley, with the *huge* tongue sticking out.

So, did you e-mail her?
Unlike me, you have a real computer. <g>

PeterL[_7_] 05-01-2009 05:48 PM

Moderator needed for rec.food.recipes

Omelet > wrote in news:ompomelet-
:

>> > It's volunteer only. ;-)
>> > I'm ok with that.

>> Look at the winking smiley, with the *huge* tongue sticking out.

> So, did you e-mail her?

Yeah, the salary package sucked (BIGTIME!!)...... so we told her to jam
it.

> Unlike me, you have a real computer. <g>

You have a play computer??

Do you wind it up, like you do to the rest of us??? ;-P

aem 05-01-2009 05:55 PM

On Jan 5, 8:48*am, Omelet > wrote:

> I e-mailed her but it might not work out because I drive a mac. :-(
> I moderate some yahoo groups nationally and locally, so I have
> experience.
> --

That group simply publishes recipes, right? No comments, no
variations, no improvements? Other than word-processing functions
what would a "moderator" do? Maybe if you could refuse to print lousy
recipes it'd not be so boring? -aem

Omelet[_7_] 05-01-2009 05:58 PM

Moderator needed for rec.food.recipes

In article
aem > wrote:

> On Jan 5, 8:48*am, Omelet > wrote:
>
> > I e-mailed her but it might not work out because I drive a mac. :-(
> > I moderate some yahoo groups nationally and locally, so I have
> > experience.
> > --

> That group simply publishes recipes, right? No comments, no
> variations, no improvements? Other than word-processing functions
> what would a "moderator" do? Maybe if you could refuse to print lousy
> recipes it'd not be so boring? -aem

Time will tell. At least I volunteered. ;-)

Dan Abel 05-01-2009 06:12 PM

blake murphy > wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 14:03:38 -0600, Patricia D. Hill wrote:
>
> > Opening for Moderator of rec.food.recipes
> >
> > The time has come for me to step down as the moderator of
> > rec.food.recipes. I am looking for someone who would like to take over as
> > the new moderator. If have some knowledge of both cooking and of UNIX
> > (or LINIX) and have some free time each day you could do this. If you
> > think you might be interested and would like to know more details please
> > write me at recipes at swcp.com
> >
> > Patricia Hill Albuquerque, New Mexico
> > rec.food.recipes lead moderator

> could this be the end of empire?

I don't like rfr. I used to blame it on Stephanie da Silva, the
previous moderator (about 15 years ago). She has posted here a few
times, and I liked her posts just fine. After I grew up a little (I was
only about 45 back then), I realized that it wasn't Stephanie, it was
just the job. It didn't matter who did it, if they did it correctly,
according to the charter, then I wouldn't be happy. That was pretty
easy for me to fix.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Omelet[_7_] 05-01-2009 06:53 PM

"Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:

> Omelet > news:ompomelet-EB9101.11192805012009
> @news.giganews.com: in rec.food.cooking
>
> > It's volunteer only. ;-)
> > I'm ok with that.

> If it's something you want to do, and have the time... Go girl!!! ;)
>
> Michael

We'll see it it works out. :-)
Generally, moderation only takes a couple of times per day.

Jeßus[_8_] 05-01-2009 07:29 PM

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 16:55:52 +0000, PeterL wrote:

> Omelet > wrote in
> :

>> I e-mailed her but it might not work out because I drive a mac. :-( I
>> moderate some yahoo groups nationally and locally, so I have
>> experience.

> What's the salary worth??
>
> Dental/Hospital/Medical??
>
> Holidays??
>
> Superannuation??
>

> If it's a good package, I might even consider it.

You'd end up talking to yourself in no time at all, sociopath.

> Then I can retire a second time.

Yeah... "retire". ROTFL indeed.

--
"Some days we don't let the line move at all. We call those weekdays"
Patty and Selma Bouvier, 1996

Sheldon 05-01-2009 07:45 PM

Patricia D. Hill > wrote:
> Opening for Moderator of rec.food.recipes

Wouldn't it be more fun with no moderator?

elaich 05-01-2009 08:45 PM

Moderator needed for rec.food.recipes

aem > wrote in news:78c7a55c-fdd7-4e15-804a-
:

> That group simply publishes recipes, right? No comments, no
> variations, no improvements? Other than word-processing functions
> what would a "moderator" do? Maybe if you could refuse to print lousy
> recipes it'd not be so boring?

And most of them are copied and pasted from elsewhere. I think the mods
biggest job would be making sure that spam and off topic posts don't get
through. Also don't understand the requirement for Linux, since any
computer should be capable of doing this.

modom (palindrome guy)[_3_] 05-01-2009 08:56 PM

Moderator needed for rec.food.recipes

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 09:55:56 -0800 (PST), aem >
wrote:

>On Jan 5, 8:48*am, Omelet > wrote:
>
>> I e-mailed her but it might not work out because I drive a mac. :-(
>> I moderate some yahoo groups nationally and locally, so I have
>> experience.
>> --

>That group simply publishes recipes, right? No comments, no
>variations, no improvements? Other than word-processing functions
>what would a "moderator" do? Maybe if you could refuse to print lousy
>recipes it'd not be so boring? -aem

The moderator flags off-topic and inappropriate submissions and only
passes posts that are in line with the group's charter -- recipes and
requests for recipes..

Back when there was a move to SPLIT rfc (remember the high feelings on
that one?), Stephanie da Silva, then moderator of rfr and a strong
proponent of the split idea, had a long-standing disagreement with the
late Susan Hattie Steinsapir. I remember one form that tussle assumed
was SdS rejecting one of SHS's recipes on the grounds that it included
a non-food ingredient. Susan Hattie's recipe called for baking
something in a brown paper bag or something like that.

But perhaps, I remember wrongly.
--
modom

ambitious when it comes to fiddling with meat

Janet Wilder[_1_] 05-01-2009 10:27 PM

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
>
>> blake murphy >
>> : in rec.food.cooking

>>> could this be the end of empire?

>> Could be. I think a couple of our rfc folks would be excellent choices to
>> take over the moderator position of a newsgroup. It is certainly food
>> related.
>>
>> Michael

> I e-mailed her but it might not work out because I drive a mac. :-(
> I moderate some yahoo groups nationally and locally, so I have
> experience.

I think you would be a great moderator. I would not have the patience to
deal with some of the requests written by assumed adults at a second
grade level.

Go for it!

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation

Janet Wilder[_1_] 05-01-2009 10:30 PM

aem wrote:
> On Jan 5, 8:48 am, Omelet > wrote:
>
>> I e-mailed her but it might not work out because I drive a mac. :-(
>> I moderate some yahoo groups nationally and locally, so I have
>> experience.
>> --

> That group simply publishes recipes, right? No comments, no
> variations, no improvements? Other than word-processing functions
> what would a "moderator" do? Maybe if you could refuse to print lousy
> recipes it'd not be so boring? -aem

It also receives recipe requests. Many of those requests are supposed to
be in English but are barely readable. I think there is a web site that
plugs into the NG and that's where a lot of the requests come from.

I have gotten some really good recipes on that group over the years. I
would miss it.

Dan Abel 05-01-2009 10:42 PM

Omelet > wrote:

> In article >,
> "Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
>
> > blake murphy >
> > : in rec.food.cooking

> > > could this be the end of empire?

> > Could be. I think a couple of our rfc folks would be excellent choices to
> > take over the moderator position of a newsgroup. It is certainly food
> > related.
> >
> > Michael

> I e-mailed her but it might not work out because I drive a mac. :-(

But...but...but...

She specified "UNIX" experience! The MAC OS is Unix! You mean you
don't spend half your time on the Mac running the Terminal app? I don't
believe that.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Omelet[_7_] 05-01-2009 10:44 PM

Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
> >
> >> blake murphy >
> >> : in rec.food.cooking

> >> Could be. I think a couple of our rfc folks would be excellent choices to
> >> take over the moderator position of a newsgroup. It is certainly food
> >> related.
> >>
> >> Michael

> > I e-mailed her but it might not work out because I drive a mac. :-(
> > I moderate some yahoo groups nationally and locally, so I have
> > experience.

> I think you would be a great moderator. I would not have the patience to
> deal with some of the requests written by assumed adults at a second
> grade level.
>
> Go for it!

We'll see if it works out. :-) I'm willing if my computer is up to the
task.

Gregory Morrow[_143_] 05-01-2009 10:45 PM

Sheldon wrote:

> Patricia D. Hill > wrote:
> > Opening for Moderator of rec.food.recipes

> Wouldn't it be more fun with no moderator?

Yep...having no moderator is liking having no bra.

;-)

--
Best
Greg

Omelet[_7_] 05-01-2009 10:50 PM

Dan Abel > wrote:

> > I e-mailed her but it might not work out because I drive a mac. :-(

> But...but...but...
>
> She specified "UNIX" experience! The MAC OS is Unix! You mean you
> don't spend half your time on the Mac running the Terminal app? I don't
> believe that.
>
> --
> Dan Abel

Right. <g>

I'm always up for an education...

I actually have the terminal ap' in the menu bar, but I don't use it
much. Just for trouble shooting.

Blinky the Shark 05-01-2009 11:26 PM

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:

> Back when there was a move to SPLIT rfc (remember the high feelings on
> that one?), Stephanie da Silva, then moderator of rfr and a strong
> proponent of the split idea, had a long-standing disagreement with the
> late Susan Hattie Steinsapir. I remember one form that tussle assumed was
> SdS rejecting one of SHS's recipes on the grounds that it included a
> non-food ingredient. Susan Hattie's recipe called for baking something in
> a brown paper bag or something like that.

Isn't a baking tin a non-food item? I'd hate to eat one.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups -

Mark A.Meggs 05-01-2009 11:50 PM

Moderator needed for rec.food.recipes

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 10:48:36 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> "Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
>
>> blake murphy >
>> : in rec.food.cooking

>> > could this be the end of empire?

>> Could be. I think a couple of our rfc folks would be excellent choices to
>> take over the moderator position of a newsgroup. It is certainly food
>> related.
>>
>> Michael

>I e-mailed her but it might not work out because I drive a mac. :-(
>I moderate some yahoo groups nationally and locally, so I have
>experience.

I doubt you'd need to be running Unix/Linux on your own box. Most
likely you'd be using telnet or SSH to connect to a Unix/Linux box.
Once connected, you'd need some familiarity with the environment. If
it's a really old setup, you might not have a graphical interface.

- Mark

TammyM[_2_] 05-01-2009 11:53 PM

"modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 09:55:56 -0800 (PST), aem >
> wrote:
>
>>On Jan 5, 8:48 am, Omelet > wrote:
>>
>>> I e-mailed her but it might not work out because I drive a mac. :-(
>>> I moderate some yahoo groups nationally and locally, so I have
>>> experience.
>>> --

>>That group simply publishes recipes, right? No comments, no
>>variations, no improvements? Other than word-processing functions
>>what would a "moderator" do? Maybe if you could refuse to print lousy
>>recipes it'd not be so boring? -aem

> The moderator flags off-topic and inappropriate submissions and only
> passes posts that are in line with the group's charter -- recipes and
> requests for recipes..
>
> Back when there was a move to SPLIT rfc (remember the high feelings on
> that one?), Stephanie da Silva, then moderator of rfr and a strong
> proponent of the split idea, had a long-standing disagreement with the
> late Susan Hattie Steinsapir. I remember one form that tussle assumed
> was SdS rejecting one of SHS's recipes on the grounds that it included
> a non-food ingredient. Susan Hattie's recipe called for baking
> something in a brown paper bag or something like that.
>
> But perhaps, I remember wrongly.

Sounds correct to me. I was pretty new to rfc back then, and that flame war
used to upset me so much! Helped me develop a pretty thick skin, in Usenet
terms anyway. Man oh man, that was a knock-down, drag-out!!!

TammyM

Dan Abel 05-01-2009 11:57 PM

Janet Wilder > wrote:

> aem wrote:

> > That group simply publishes recipes, right?

> It also receives recipe requests. Many of those requests are supposed to
> be in English but are barely readable. I think there is a web site that
> plugs into the NG and that's where a lot of the requests come from.

As far as I know, every moderated newsgroup works the same. For users
like you and I, it works exactly the same as every unmoderated
newsgroup. You just post your request or recipe to the group. However,
it doesn't go to the group, it goes to the moderator. The moderator
then decides whether to let it go to the group or not.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Christine Dabney 06-01-2009 12:09 AM

Moderator needed for rec.food.recipes

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 15:53:53 -0800, "TammyM" >
wrote:

>Sounds correct to me. I was pretty new to rfc back then, and that flame war
>used to upset me so much! Helped me develop a pretty thick skin, in Usenet
>terms anyway. Man oh man, that was a knock-down, drag-out!!!
>
>TammyM

Sure was. I came to rfc in the middle of the first attempt to split
rfc, which was very brutal. I think that is the one you remember?

The 2nd attempt was a bit different, in that a bunch of us formed a
group to develop ideas for new groups and write the charters for them.
The rec.food.baking, rec.food.equipment, and rec.food.marketplace
groups came out of that effort.

I think there was one more attempt to split rfc a year or so later,
but that was the last time.

Christine
--
http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

Sheldon 06-01-2009 12:56 AM

On Jan 5, 5:45�pm, "Gregory Morrow" > wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > Patricia D. Hill > wrote:
> > > Opening for Moderator of rec.food.recipes

> > Wouldn't it be more fun with no moderator?

> Yep...having no moderator is liking having no bra.
>
> ;-)

But I have more fun with those that *need* a bra. ;)

See what I mean: http://www.biglacebra.com/imlive/10.jpg

PeterL[_7_] 06-01-2009 12:56 AM

Moderator needed for rec.food.recipes

Omelet > wrote in news:ompomelet-C524F7.12532305012009
@news.giganews.com:

> We'll see it it works out. :-)
> Generally, moderation only takes a couple of times per day.

Strictly in moderation, of course :-)

Christine Dabney 06-01-2009 01:06 AM

Moderator needed for rec.food.recipes

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 00:56:22 +0000 (UTC), PeterL >
wrote:

>Omelet > wrote in news:ompomelet-C524F7.12532305012009
:

>> We'll see it it works out. :-)
>> Generally, moderation only takes a couple of times per day.

>Strictly in moderation, of course :-)

Well, I would check with Patricia about that.

She came to my cook-in (she lives here in ABQ) and we asked her about
moderating RFR. She said it took several hours per week to do it.

Christine
--
http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

jay[_229_] 06-01-2009 03:41 AM

Moderator needed for rec.food.recipes

> I e-mailed her but it might not work out because I drive a mac. :-(
> I moderate some yahoo groups nationally and locally, so I have
> experience.

You don't drive a MAC... it drives you. OSX is a Unix based OS... DUH!
Beware of the Omlets. Omlets thinks a pressure cooker is a great start
to a great recipe. Omlets is not quite all there. Just witch
local/national group do you DO?... Wartz? A pair of quivering blubber
butts. Grill 'em.

LOL..

SteveB[_3_] 06-01-2009 03:50 AM

Moderator needed for rec.food.recipes

>>> Opening for Moderator of rec.food.recipes

Did the last one have terminal boredom?

Becca[_3_] 06-01-2009 02:47 PM

Dan Abel wrote:

> I don't like rfr. I used to blame it on Stephanie da Silva, the
> previous moderator (about 15 years ago). She has posted here a few
> times, and I liked her posts just fine. After I grew up a little (I was
> only about 45 back then), I realized that it wasn't Stephanie, it was
> just the job. It didn't matter who did it, if they did it correctly,
> according to the charter, then I wouldn't be happy. That was pretty
> easy for me to fix.

This group used to talk about Stephanie da Silva quite a bit. I do not
know her, but I did try one of her tamale recipes.

Becca

Jean B.[_1_] 06-01-2009 03:52 PM

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
>
>> blake murphy >
>> : in rec.food.cooking

>>> could this be the end of empire?

>> Could be. I think a couple of our rfc folks would be excellent choices to
>> take over the moderator position of a newsgroup. It is certainly food
>> related.
>>
>> Michael

> I e-mailed her but it might not work out because I drive a mac. :-(
> I moderate some yahoo groups nationally and locally, so I have
> experience.

Good for you! I regret that I am not computer-savvy enough to
volunteer.

--
Jean B.

Omelet[_7_] 06-01-2009 06:11 PM

Mark A.Meggs > wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 10:48:36 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > "Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
> >
> >> blake murphy >
> >> : in rec.food.cooking

> >> Could be. I think a couple of our rfc folks would be excellent choices to
> >> take over the moderator position of a newsgroup. It is certainly food
> >> related.
> >>
> >> Michael

> >I e-mailed her but it might not work out because I drive a mac. :-(
> >I moderate some yahoo groups nationally and locally, so I have
> >experience.

> I doubt you'd need to be running Unix/Linux on your own box. Most
> likely you'd be using telnet or SSH to connect to a Unix/Linux box.
> Once connected, you'd need some familiarity with the environment. If
> it's a really old setup, you might not have a graphical interface.
>
> - Mark

Well, she's not answered back now, so she probably found somebody else...

Omelet[_7_] 06-01-2009 06:14 PM

"Jean B." > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
> >
> >> blake murphy >
> >> : in rec.food.cooking

> >> Could be. I think a couple of our rfc folks would be excellent choices to
> >> take over the moderator position of a newsgroup. It is certainly food
> >> related.
> >>
> >> Michael

> > I e-mailed her but it might not work out because I drive a mac. :-(
> > I moderate some yahoo groups nationally and locally, so I have
> > experience.

> Good for you! I regret that I am not computer-savvy enough to
> volunteer.

Yahoo group moderation is no big deal. ;-)
I check them two or a few times per day depending on posts and time
available.

It's just a matter of approving after a quick glance...

James Silverton[_2_] 06-01-2009 06:57 PM

Omelet wrote on Tue, 06 Jan 2009 12:14:43 -0600:

>> Omelet wrote:

> >> I e-mailed her but it might not work out because I drive a
> >> mac. :-( I moderate some yahoo groups nationally and
> >> locally, so I have experience.

>> Good for you! I regret that I am not computer-savvy enough
>> to volunteer.

> Yahoo group moderation is no big deal. ;-)
> I check them two or a few times per day depending on posts and
> time available.

> It's just a matter of approving after a quick glance...

Rec.food.recipes moderation is a bit more complex since questions and
requests are allowed but not comments on the recipes, much as many need
them. Patricia did a very good job within the parameters even if I would
like to have posted "Nonsense!" more than once.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Sqwertz[_27_] 06-01-2009 07:07 PM

Sheldon wrote:
> Patricia D. Hill > wrote:
>> Opening for Moderator of rec.food.recipes

> Wouldn't it be more fun with no moderator?

Nothing would get posted without a moderator. Duh.

Not too bright, are ya.

-sw